US Government Gives Facebook's Oculus VR Purchase the Thumbs Up

US Government Gives Facebook's Oculus VR Purchase the Thumbs Up

Facebook Oculus

After scrutiny by the FTC, all antitrust hurdles were cleared without incident.

A little under one month after Facebook announced it would be buying PC gaming darling Oculus VR, and the deal has been approved by the US government.

The FTC approved the deal yesterday, saying the acquisition didn't raise any antitrust red flags.

After announcing the acquisition, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said that Oculus VR would operate independently within the company, and its primary focus would still be video games. In the coming years, that focus will expand to make Oculus, and virtual reality, the next major communications platform. "Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction," said Zuckerberg in a Facebook post last month. "But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together."

Now that some time has passed post-announcement, how are you feeling about the acquisition? Are you counted among the angry Kickstarter contingent? Or do you feel optimistic about the purchase? Let us know in the forums.

As long as Facebook allows Occulus to operate independently and make games I don't care what they want to do with THEIR product years from now. Hell, even now. Just make games too.

edit: Well not make but support games.

Even after time has passed, I just don't feel right about the whole thing. Facebook has given me no reason to trust them, ever. I only use their damned social network because everyone else in the world seems to and it's an easy way to keep in contact with people.
I can understand those who backed the Kickstarter being frustrated.
All I can say is, Facebook better stick to their word. I don't know what they'd do, but if Facebook doesn't keep their word I guarantee everyone they told to calm down will try to rip Facebook a new one.

"(...) No anti-trust red flags raised."

This is Facebook, people, the NSA of social networks. How this purchase got approved as clean quite frankly baffles me.

Cid SilverWing:

This is Facebook, people, the NSA of social networks. How this purchase got approved as clean quite frankly baffles me.

Facebook might as well be the KKK of social networks, and it would still have nothing to do with whether this purchase is an anti-trust move.

I am optimistic. Kickstarter might have gotten it off the ground, but without a major investor, it would have run out of money. As it stands, it has a 50/50 chance of being good or bad. Which may be higher than my ability to use it, thanks to my weird brain being unable to handle 3D.

Cid SilverWing:

That "antitrust" thing might sound cool but the only thing they check is if this merger will create monopoly in either field of the companies, which it doesn't so they say it's cool.
And any other horrors that might come after this are not actually their concern.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here