Microsoft is Bringing a Remote Desktop App to Windows Phone 8.1

Microsoft is Bringing a Remote Desktop App to Windows Phone 8.1

Windows Phone Remote Desktop 310x

Yo dawg, I heard you like Microsoft, so we put Remote Desktop in your mobile OS so you Windows while you Windows.

Microsoft has launched a Remote Desktop Preview app on its Windows Phone platform, allowing WP users to log into Windows PCs through their smartphones.

The app, already available on Google Play and the App Store, requires Windows Phone 8.1 -- the latest mobile OS from Microsoft that's launching this Spring. Once your Windows Phone device gets the upgrade in the coming weeks, you'll be able to connect your phone and Windows PC through the official app.

On the Windows PC end, a bunch of different operating systems are supported, including Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro...even some versions of XP and Vista feel the love. You can check out the full list here.

This Remote Desktop preview is also one of the first universal apps being released by Microsoft, so the app, with some minor tweaks, will be one and the same when it's launched on both Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1.

If you're not already on the Remote Desktop bandwagon? You definitely should be. The feature, baked into many different versions of Windows, allows you to access files when you're away from your machine, so long as it's powered on and connected to the Internet. Cloud storage is great, but for the files you don't want stored on servers you don't own, RDC is the way to go.

[Source: ZDNet]

Congratulations Microsoft, you've made a mobile version of Teamviewer restricted to a single OS.

To get Windows Phone 8.1 early, go there: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/get-windows-phone-81-soon-possible (this is totally legal and allowed by Microsoft.

jurnag12:
Congratulations Microsoft, you've made a mobile version of Teamviewer restricted to a single OS.

TeamViewer runs through the Web. This runs over your LAN/Wifi network. This is more like VNC, but faster. They are simply different protocols and technologies for different needs.

Microsoft's TeamViewer equivalent is called Lync.

If you're not already on the Remote Desktop bandwagon? You definitely should be.

Unless you care about security. In which case you shouldn't be, unless you're confident your Remote Desktop is actually secure.

Which it probably isn't, because it turns out securing something like that properly is really hard.

And if you're able to secure Remote Desktop properly...

... you don't need Remote Desktop, you already have a dozen tools capable of this.

jurnag12:

I use RDP quite a lot at work. It's faster when used through LAN than Teamviewer. I still use Teamviewer when I'm out of office though, from there I can just RDP over to some of my other computers or servers that I need access to that aren't necessarily available through Teamviewer..

OT: Universal app? There's been a native RDP client for Windows 8 since launch, both the built in "normal" desktop version, and the official Modern UI version you can get freely from the store. Microsoft even released an iOS version not long ago. Has Windows Phone 8 been without this until now?

insanelich:
If you're not already on the Remote Desktop bandwagon? You definitely should be.

Unless you care about security. In which case you shouldn't be, unless you're confident your Remote Desktop is actually secure.

Which it probably isn't, because it turns out securing something like that properly is really hard.

... you don't need Remote Desktop, you already have a dozen tools capable of this.

Again, this is for LAN use only, not over Internet. You could do it over Internet, with a mix of SSH tunneling and NATing, and in that case it'd be safer than 3rd parties (because you would have your own architecture instead of relying on a 3rd party, which could be not safe), but that is not the intended use.

Furism:

Again, this is for LAN use only, not over Internet.

Didn't WP 8.1 add VPN natively to the phone?
Could come in handy if your caught without a tablet or notebook to tether to...

insanelich:

or, your like me, dont have anything done on your remote desktop worth securing. oh no, i remote desktopped from work to home computer and watched a TV show, such secrecy has been leaked!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here