Report: FBI Informant Sabu Led Cyberattacks Against Iran, Syria, Brazil

Report: FBI Informant Sabu Led Cyberattacks Against Iran, Syria, Brazil

Sabu LulzSec 310x

Hacker-turned-informant Hector Xavier "Sabu" Monsegur reportedly led cyberattacks against foreign governments, some possibly at the request of the FBI.

Remember Hector Xavier Monsegur, aka Sabu? The hacker, and LulzSec founder, whose testimony put several American hackers behind bars back in 2012? According to The New York Times, which has access to newly-unredacted court documents, Sabu led several cyberattacks on several foreign government websites, and some of these attacks were done at the behest of the FBI.

The reported attacks were against websites run by the Brazilian, Iranian, Syrian, Iraqi, Pakistani, and Polish governments. Sites run by Nigeria and Turkey might also be involved.

From the report: "Exploiting a vulnerability in a popular web hosting software, the informant directed at least one hacker to extract vast amounts of data - from bank records to login information - from the government servers of a number of countries and upload it to a server monitored by the F.B.I., according to court statements."

These documents also point to a mid-2011 closed court hearing, in which federal prosecutors say that Sabu "had been 'cooperating with the government proactively' and had 'literally worked around the clock with federal agents' to provide information about other hackers.'"

Be sure to read the full report, found here.

The thumb nail for this story seems to be impersonating me.
How droll.

OT - Sounds about right.

Ahh yes, the American gubern mint, one of the biggest ter, ror, ist organizations in the world...

"But it's not ter, ror, ism if we do it to them...only when they do it to us." - U.S. gubern mint

Sorry for the bad spelling and stuff, I didn't want the gub ernm int tracking soft ware to auto-flag me to some list.

Good job, O' country of mine. If he does it to you, he's a criminal hacker. If he does it FOR you, he's fighting the good fight. And Poland, really? The hell did Poland ever do?

Blunderboy:
The thumb nail for this story seems to be impersonating me.
How droll.

OT - Sounds about right.

I read the words "how droll" as soon as your avatar pushed up his monocle.

was pretty amazing.

OT: I don't really know how the US government can put some people away for doing a thing that they themselves are doing.

they must subscribe to a different common sense catalog then I do.

Gorrath:
Good job, O' country of mine. If he does it to you, he's a criminal hacker. If he does it FOR you, he's fighting the good fight. And Poland, really? The hell did Poland ever do?

There are probably all the Nazis hiding which didn't manage to get to the darkside of the moon into their secret base.

Or something completly ridicolous.

Wait! What is FBI doing hacking into other countries? That's not their job. They're not supposed to waste taxpayer money on something like that.

But, you know. America is a police state now so nobody gives a fuck.

Adam Jensen:
Wait! What is FBI doing hacking into other countries? That's not their job. They're not supposed to waste taxpayer money on something like that.

But, you know. America is a police state now so nobody gives a fuck.

All I can't think is didn't Sparta try this kind stuff making all the other city states band together and bring a beat down.

Gorrath:
And Poland, really? The hell did Poland ever do?

They have the audacity to not be the USA and that is a crime!

Gorrath:

they looked at US funny in the last UN meeting, they were asking for it officer!

Is this really surprising? All governments do this they're called covert operations. Privateers, Hackers, Spies, These things have been going on for centuries this is nothing new. To act like it's a big thing now is a bit bewildering. Criminals that target enemies are better than criminals that target their own people, it's been that way forever

Asking for permission? Respecting privacy?

USA don't have no time for that shit!

[i]"Vulnerability in widely used hosting software"[/b] You mean like Heartbleed? I still think it will come to light that the US government knew about that and exploited it. They have been proven to have been perverting the encryption standards for years, actively making the internet a less secure place for it's own short term gains. It also sounds like some of those 'hackers' he testified against were thrown under the bus.

To quote a great American Hero; "What a shit load of fuck!"

"Brazilian, Iranian, Syrian, Iraqi, Pakistani, and Polish"

Ummm? Is it just me, or is one of these things not like the others? I mean we have one more or less active war, three state sponsors of terrorism, and Brazil who while neither really an enemey nor overly threatening does tend to do their best to pee in the presidents cheerios... but Poland? Really? Were they trying to determine the source of all the hot naked women on the internet? Cause Poland is sorta kinda a long standing ally and member of Nato. And outside of trying to get the real names and adresses of all those hot naked women on the internet, there really isn't much in the way of practical reasons to launch a Cyber Attack on them? Did someone read the Map wrong again?

fluxy100:
Is this really surprising? All governments do this they're called covert operations. Privateers, Hackers, Spies, These things have been going on for centuries this is nothing new. To act like it's a big thing now is a bit bewildering. Criminals that target enemies are better than criminals that target their own people, it's been that way forever

Doesn't make it alright, and while it's maybe not "surprising", it's only really coming to light over recent years, the extent of this crap.

OT: Can't really call anyone "the good guys" anymore can we? It's just become, pick a team and root for them (usually the home team).

EDIT: Actually, maybe the "lesser of X evils" might be a better way of putting it.

Gotta love these champions of apathy.

"So what if they're violating rights? They're been doing it forever!"

OT: I wonder how they're treating this guy, if he's living in some kind of luxurious super-prison or if they've got him in a basement with computers somewhere.

faefrost:
"Brazilian, Iranian, Syrian, Iraqi, Pakistani, and Polish"

Ummm? Is it just me, or is one of these things not like the others? I mean we have one more or less active war, three state sponsors of terrorism, and Brazil who while neither really an enemey nor overly threatening does tend to do their best to pee in the presidents cheerios... but Poland? Really? Were they trying to determine the source of all the hot naked women on the internet? Cause Poland is sorta kinda a long standing ally and member of Nato. And outside of trying to get the real names and adresses of all those hot naked women on the internet, there really isn't much in the way of practical reasons to launch a Cyber Attack on them? Did someone read the Map wrong again?

If by "pee in the presidents cheerios" you mean they insist on existing as an independent country and not bowing to US demands at every turn, yeah, that's Brazil for you. The nerve! Don't they know South America belongs to the US?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here