Jason Returns For New Friday The 13th TV Series

Jason Returns For New Friday The 13th TV Series

jason

"He's back. The man behind the mask."
-- Alice Cooper

2013/14's weirdest unexpected TV trend? Longform dramas based around popular horror movie characters. We've already seen series based around Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, Dracula and even The Headless Horseman thus far; and now the king of the 1980s teen-slashers is following them to the small screen: Jason Voorhees will return in a new hourlong series based on Friday the 13th.

Mainly (but not exclusively) focused on a succession of multiple-murders occuring at Camp Crystal Lake, the Friday franchise debuted in 1980. Jason, however, did not become the main character until the sequel and didn't take his iconic form - an invincible, emotionless, unstoppable murder-machine in a hockey mask - until Part 3. He later became a full-fledged zombie in Part 6: Jason Lives and a cyborg in the future-set Jason X.

The series will reportedly take it's cue from mystery/mythology series like Sleepy Hollow or American Horror Story, and will be set in a contemporary Crystal Lake where the unexpected reappearance of Jason leads characters to delve into the dark history of the Voorhees Family and the town itself. It has not been revealed whether or how the series will "fit" with the continuity of the original series or the largely forgotten one-off reboot of the franchise from 2009. A previous TV series from 1987 was related to the films in name only, and did not feature Jason.

Source: Deadline Hollywood

You know, I think this could work. Just have him pop up once or twice a show for a brazen murder or sighting while the rest of the show is character building and the slow uncovering of evidence.

I... WHAT?
Now that I have that out of the way... um... knowing little about the character or the movies... I don't know how to take this.

i dunno how this one would work. i'd say the closest comparison so far would be the headless horseman, but i haven't seen that series yet. i didn't mind bates motel, but i wasn't hugely drawn in to be honest. hannibal on the other hand is awesome, and if this show comes close to that standard, i'll be happy.

needless to say, at least it's not another jason film...

This could be interesting. Ideally, they'll treat Jason as some kind of force of nature, something that happens to the main characters on the show, rather than being the focus/main character. If he's something they have to deal with while achieving their main goals, he remains a mysterious, indomitable figure that the audience can be scared of. Nothing makes something less scary faster than looking at it too long or too closely.

Just stop, please television producers. They made too many movie versions now they are just going to beat this dead horse on TV.

So basically they are gonna try to cross Twin Peaks with Jason?

Mcoffey:
This could be interesting. Ideally, they'll treat Jason as some kind of force of nature, something that happens to the main characters on the show, rather than being the focus/main character. If he's something they have to deal with while achieving their main goals, he remains a mysterious, indomitable figure that the audience can be scared of. Nothing makes something less scary faster than looking at it too long or too closely.

Mystery and Jason Voorhees goes about as well as Mystery and Godzilla.

I predict this is basically gonna be a half-hearted flop. Question what was the biggest reason people watched a friday the 13th movie. To see people die it gory, horrific and vaguely comically ways. Do you actually watch a F13 movie or do you just fast forward to the parts with jason?

They could... actually do something interesting but there's no mystery for the viewer other than who gets hacked this week. We know about Jason... we know what he is...we know he can't really be killed... so we know more than the characters which means.. no mystery.

BigTuk:

Mcoffey:

Mystery and Jason Voorhees goes about as well as Mystery and Godzilla.

I predict this is basically gonna be a half-hearted flop. Question what was the biggest reason people watched a friday the 13th movie. To see people die it gory, horrific and vaguely comically ways. Do you actually watch a F13 movie or do you just fast forward to the parts with jason?

They could... actually do something interesting but there's no mystery for the viewer other than who gets hacked this week. We know about Jason... we know what he is...we know he can't really be killed... so we know more than the characters which means.. no mystery.

To be completely honest, I've never watched a full Friday the 13th. I know horror monsters though, and they are typically more effective the less you know of them. That's likely the appeal of creatures like Slenderman. This unknowable force is inflicting horrors upon you and you have no idea what it's motives or means are. Not knowing is terrifying.

I would be more up for this than the new found footage friday the 13th film they are talking about.

Mcoffey:

To be completely honest, I've never watched a full Friday the 13th. I know horror monsters though, and they are typically more effective the less you know of them. That's likely the appeal of creatures like Slenderman. This unknowable force is inflicting horrors upon you and you have no idea what it's motives or means are. Not knowing is terrifying.

This is true.. which is why sequels rarely ever have the same impact as the originals in Horror and most just descend into Gory camp. Which is not bad.

See once you know what say Slenderman is...you can't really maintain that level of fear but if you keep said monster as just a force of nature then it becomes less interesting... sort of something in the background. IT takes a light touch between the two to create a menace.

Blair Witch was an interesting example of that since the Blair Which defined an unknown force but the characters and the viewer have no idea what, who, why or where. Say what you will about the ending it generall had a pretty good build up.

BigTuk:

Mcoffey:

This is true.. which is why sequels rarely ever have the same impact as the originals in Horror and most just descend into Gory camp. Which is not bad.

See once you know what say Slenderman is...you can't really maintain that level of fear but if you keep said monster as just a force of nature then it becomes less interesting... sort of something in the background. IT takes a light touch between the two to create a menace.

Blair Witch was an interesting example of that since the Blair Which defined an unknown force but the characters and the viewer have no idea what, who, why or where. Say what you will about the ending it generall had a pretty good build up.

Yeah I'll definitely give you that. It's a tough balance to maintain, and I can't think of many horror movies that are able to keep it up by the sequel. That's why I was thinking, as far as this series goes, it would be better for them to focus less on Jason himself and more on different protagonists and antagonists who have to operate knowing he's out there. That way he remains this eternal Jack in the Box, ready to pop up but never when you expect him to. Admittedly that could also get really bad (Just had a lovely dinner with dad, aww man Jason's here!), so it would take good writers to make it work.

Mcoffey:

BigTuk:

Mcoffey:

Yeah I'll definitely give you that. It's a tough balance to maintain, and I can't think of many horror movies that are able to keep it up by the sequel. That's why I was thinking, as far as this series goes, it would be better for them to focus less on Jason himself and more on different protagonists and antagonists who have to operate knowing he's out there. That way he remains this eternal Jack in the Box, ready to pop up but never when you expect him to. Admittedly that could also get really bad (Just had a lovely dinner with dad, aww man Jason's here!), so it would take good writers to make it work.

If Jason won't appear in it that much and just be in the background... why bother with Jason and F13 at all. It would work much more effectively if they used an Original Jason-esque stand in. The benefit is since it's not Jason the audience us have no fore-knowledge of motivation, history, powers, limitations etc. In short we'd know about as much as those that are trying to unravel the mystery...and that would actually keep things interesting.

So the question boils down to. When an original character would be much easier and effective why F13? Brand recognition. And when the reason for such choices boil down to Brand Recognition you know the decision is not coming from story telling (ie someone has an interesting story) or fan-service (i.e to please the fans) but from economics (how can I wring as much money from the fans without having to actually do any work).

BigTuk:

Mcoffey:

BigTuk:

If Jason won't appear in it that much and just be in the background... why bother with Jason and F13 at all. It would work much more effectively if they used an Original Jason-esque stand in. The benefit is since it's not Jason the audience us have no fore-knowledge of motivation, history, powers, limitations etc. In short we'd know about as much as those that are trying to unravel the mystery...and that would actually keep things interesting.

So the question boils down to. When an original character would be much easier and effective why F13? Brand recognition. And when the reason for such choices boil down to Brand Recognition you know the decision is not coming from story telling (ie someone has an interesting story) or fan-service (i.e to please the fans) but from economics (how can I wring as much money from the fans without having to actually do any work).

Absolutely. But I figure these things are going to happen anyway -brands are more important than ideas- so it's more fun to be optimistic and hope they take it in an interesting, new direction, rather than just Jason killing horny teenagers for thirteen episodes.

Mcoffey:

Absolutely. But I figure these things are going to happen anyway -brands are more important than ideas- so it's more fun to be optimistic and hope they take it in an interesting, new direction, rather than just Jason killing horny teenagers for thirteen episodes.

That would actually be the best case scenario. A F13 series where jason doesn't kill horny teenagers at least once an episode would be what? I mean at that point why even bother? It'd be like a godzilla movie that has nothing to do with a giant dragon stompong cities... wait they made that once... and as we all remember *it sucked* . Not because it was a bad movie but because it was a bad *Godzilla* movie. Think of a JAws movie where the shark doesn't kill anyone.

Brands are more important and I will agree they are but one must know when to create new brands as opposed to stretching out old ones. As is I don't see this as anything more that the last Friday the 13th series they made.

Darks63:
So basically they are gonna try to cross Twin Peaks with Jason?

We could only be so lucky.

It's probably more Jason with a soap opera.

BigTuk:

Mcoffey:

That would actually be the best case scenario. A F13 series where jason doesn't kill horny teenagers at least once an episode would be what? I mean at that point why even bother? It'd be like a godzilla movie that has nothing to do with a giant dragon stompong cities... wait they made that once... and as we all remember *it sucked* . Not because it was a bad movie but because it was a bad *Godzilla* movie. Think of a JAws movie where the shark doesn't kill anyone.

Brands are more important and I will agree they are but one must know when to create new brands as opposed to stretching out old ones. As is I don't see this as anything more that the last Friday the 13th series they made.

You're probably right. I just cant imagine this will last more than a season if they don't use him sparingly. People got bored of one Jason outing every couple years. There's no way they're gonna stick around weekly if they don't change what they've been doing.

But maybe I'm just expecting more from it than it wants to be. I think the Hannibal has spoiled me. Although a macabre detective mystery probably translates better to TV than a monster movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here