Coming Soon to a TiVo Near You: Integrated Netflix Streaming

Coming Soon to a TiVo Near You: Integrated Netflix Streaming

TiVo HD 310x

Three cable providers are bringing Netflix to their TiVo service.

Netflix has long been the arch-rival of cable, a charter member of the Anti-Cable Illuminati (totally a real group, guys). But what's this? Soon you'll be able to dig into Netflix's selection straight through your TiVo box.

RCN, Atlantic Broadband, and Grande Communications have all partnered up with Netflix, and each will soon offer Netflix access directly through their TiVo software. Users will have to have a Netflix account in order to use the service, along with having a TiVo box instead of a vanilla cable box unit.

RCN is the biggest of the trio, but does Grande Communications (apparently an RCN subsidiary, according to the press release) ring a bell? They're the Texas-based telco that started offering wicked cheap gigabit fiber Internet down in Austin back in February.

None of the three providers will be charging additional fees to access Netflix via the TiVo hardware. If you have a TiVo box with one of the trio, and a Netflix account, you're good to go.

I use the Tivo branded Virgin Media box in the UK. Had netflix on it for nigh on a year now. Good times. Runs a bit slow at startup, but other than that, its spot on.

What in the nine hells are you talking about? I've had Netflix directly on my TiVo for at least a year now. As well as a bunch of others (Amazon Prime, MLB, etc). Is this some kind of time travel thing?

RonHiler:
What in the nine hells are you talking about? I've had Netflix directly on my TiVo for at least a year now. As well as a bunch of others (Amazon Prime, MLB, etc). Is this some kind of time travel thing?

Yeah, this is really misleading. Retail TiVo boxes, the kind anyone can buy from tivo.com, have done this for ages and ages. I think mine was the second device in my house to support it, after the computer. I haven't had a "cable box" that couldn't stream Netflix since basically before there was a Netflix streaming.

The announcement is about cable-company-provided boxes that come with both TiVo's DVR software and also Netflix support, which is apparently a new thing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here