Faster Public WiFi Might be Coming to Google Fiber Cities

Faster Public WiFi Might be Coming to Google Fiber Cities

Google Fiber Logo Square

Google document being circulated to potential Google Fiber sites hints at public WiFi rollout.

Google Fiber is available (or on the cusp of availability) in three metropolitan areas, and it could expand to 34 additional cities in 2014-2015. Those cities that are lucky enough to grab Google Fiber might also get a bonus: improved public WiFi.

In a document being distributed to the 34 potential Google Fiber cities, the search/ad giant says that it will be "discussing our Wi-Fi plans and related requirements...as we move forward with your city during this planning process." Gigabit Internet is already a godsend on its own, but pair it with decent public WiFi for downtown areas? That's Antantis levels of awesome, folks.

This news is coming after rumors of a Google-branded mobile service, which would be built upon wholesale-purchased space on Verizon or Sprint networks. Coupling Google Mobile and Google WiFi would allow customers of the former to lean heavily on WiFi when in their hometown.

Google Fiber is currently available in Provo, Kansas City, and will be online soon in Austin. If WiFi and mobile are in Google's future, expect the initial rollout to happen in one of these three sites.

Antantis levels of awesome you say? Sounds like you're having one L of a time fitting all the right letters into that word.

Yay Google Fiber! Maybe one day it will come to anywhere near me.

Captcha: "Switch to Time Warner Cable Today." How about no? Just seriously no. Why on Earth would I ever actively choose to subject myself to TWC?

I imagine Antantis is like, Atlantis but people lost it because it was too small to be found.

anyway, i'm glad that they got all these plans BUT THEY NEED TO DO IT FASTER AAAAAAAA

can't even have more than one person watching videos in here

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Provo being one of the 3 fabled cities. Just... Gawd... Now they're getting magical everywhere internet... *eye twitches*

Devin Connors:
Gigabit Internet is already a godsend on its own, but pair it with decent public WiFi for downtown areas? That's Antantis levels of awesome, folks.

Its also called welcome to 21st century. we had 300mbps (not gigabit, but enough for any regular user) and downtown covered with wireless acess for couple years now. and we get it 3 times cheaper than google fiber too.

Adfest:
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Provo being one of the 3 fabled cities. Just... Gawd... Now they're getting magical everywhere internet... *eye twitches*

the cities chosen are not ones you would expect, yes. this is because google was plagued with lawsuits from local companies for, well, being better competition. the problem is, the monopolist won the suits agianst competition, because apperently you now can buy courts too.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here