SPOILER: High Profile X-men Character to Die in Upcoming Comic Arc

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

SPOILER: High Profile X-men Character to Die in Upcoming Comic Arc

death of wolverine

A certain "unkillable" X-man will draw his final breath in an upcoming comic arc.

When it comes to the X-men, one particular character has a reputation of being pretty hard to put down. Wolverine, with his healing mutant ability, is a seemingly immortal character, remaining a constant throughout time while other characters have bitten the dust. But it seems like even Wolverine's luck is about to run out, as a comic arc that saw him lose his healing power is due to come to a grisly end.

The storyline will eventually lead to the September 2014 four-issue weekly limited series titled "Death of Wolverine" by creators Charles Soule and Steve McNiven. Death of Wolverine #1 hits on September 3, and the next three issues of the series will follow every week ensuing, climaxing with Death of Wolverine #4 on September 24.

Michael Marts, an executive editor at Marvel overseeing the project, explains that the idea to kill off one of the most iconic characters in comic books emerged out of Marvel's semi-annual creative retreat, when Marvel writers and editors come together to discuss major projects. "For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor," says Marts. "He almost always comes out on top. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight. What does that mean for this character who's been around for hundreds of years?"

While the concept of "death" in comic books can be pretty flimsy, Marts says he wants Wolverine's death to matter, and have an actual impact on the rest of the Marvel line. "You're gonna be entering into a world without Wolverine. That affects not only his teammates, but also the Marvel Universe at large. We've got a lot of things in the works already."

"I hope that when people finish it, they'll feel like he died in a way that was true to him," says writer Charles Soule.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Alright, taking all bets guys. How long do we think this is actually gonna keep this time?

Infernai:
Alright, taking all bets guys. How long do we think this is actually gonna keep this time?

Maybe a little longer than the most recent Spider-Man death.

Remember when they killed off Steve Rogers?
Remember when they killed off Peter Parker?
Remember when they killed off Jason Todd?
Remember when they killed off Brian Griffin?

We know this song well enough to sing along, now.

Infernai:

Until sales of the titles he was part of dip for more than two months in a row.

I'll be optimistic... I'll give him a year before they bring him back.

I give it 6 months maximum.

-History of bringing back practically every major character they kill off.
-Wolverine is plastered on everything and probably moves some of the most toys, video games and merchandise of their roster.

yeah fucking right he's going to stay dead lmao. Death is really fleeting in that world and more so when there's still $$$ to be made

i like him but won't really mind if they leave him dead how long has he been alive for

Hmmmmm.....

Anyone who buys this...is really needing to read some more comic books.
Honestly how can ANYONE buy that they will kill anyone off permanently?

Also how will any team work...I thought every team in Marvel needed Wolverine?

yeah, there's no freaking way that's gonna stick. Kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel? Methinks this is going to bite them pretty hard in the coming year

That's a serious undertaking. Pity it'll probably only take a little while for someone to revive him in a bullshit way.

Aiddon:
yeah, there's no freaking way that's gonna stick. Kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel? Methinks this is going to bite them pretty hard in the coming year

Well, they did kill off one of the most popular and marketable characters in all of Marvel and replace him with one of his villains for a few months in order to piss of his fans as much as possible and ride off the ensuing controversy as a lame and cheap attempt to boost sales because they lack any ability to actually write good stories anymore before they brought him back anyway, so I don't think this is much of a stretch.

They might do this, but Wolverine will be back within a year tops anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

So is this supposed to be some sort of big thing then? Cos it doesnt feel that way to me. All im getting is "yeah, sorry, we just a bit fed up and out of ideas at mo. Kill 'im off for a bit, till we get summin' fresh.
Hugh Jackman will be oblivious.

The only way I would care is if this were secretly a crossover with the "Deadpool Kills" series, where it turns out that "Deadpool kills Wolverine. FOR REAL!" to appease his girlfriend (death)

I bet he'll still be able to make guest appearances in other comics even after he dies.

No shit, one of the most popular and profitable characters just dies for real. Yeah, right. Also, pigs fly, I can throw fireballs and Gearbox aren't filthy pieces of crap.

I never quite understood the appeal in comics to announce what the outcome of a story would be or what characters would die. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of storytelling? It isn't like anyone stays dead in comics anyway.

He'll be killed by the common cold and Morgan Freeman will narrate his death. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

Wait, seriously Marvel? Come on you really expect on to take Death Seriously in your comics after you bring Bucky Barnes back from the dead? Like seriously and one of your flagship money makers like Wolverine? Ypu honestly expect us to take you seriously

I mean for starters it only affects your main likne (616) so you still get to milk Ultimate WOlverine for all he's worth plus come on Marvel. YOu're essentially trying to boost yoursales with acollectors issue. THen you get to boost your sales with a return of wolverine series.

I read Ultimate X-men, and all through out its convoluted, often confusing (more so then most) storylines, I've come to the conclusion regarding character deaths: Absolutely nothing shocks me any more (The previous links contain HEAVY spoilers for the Ultimatum series, you've been warned)

Honestly, if marvel ACTUALLY wanted to kill off someone, especially high-profile, they wouldn't blatantly advertise it, or allow it to leak.

This is a gimmick, nothing more.

Hell...

Nothing short of doing something like that would convince me that they won't bring back Marvel's mutant cash-cow.

He will be dead for as long as Superman was when they killed him.
Or Batman.
Or Captain America.
Or Phoenix/Jean Grey.

So... year. Year and a half tops before he is running around again.

Yeah, 6 months till they bring him back with magic, or say it was a clone, or L.M.D, or an alternate version from the Ultimate universe or something.

008Zulu:
alternate version from the Ultimate universe or something.

Wolverine is quite goners in Ultimate Comics Land.

"I hope that when people finish it, they'll feel like he died in a way that was true to him," says writer Charles Soule.

"...And when we bring him back from the dead, I hope we're all, like, 'ch-ching! ch-ching! Make it rain, baby, make it raiiin!"

Infernai:

My money is going to be the same as Death of Superman (oddly familiar title). Wolverine will be killed, then "unkilled" by the end of the arc.

Scrythe:

Ultimate Parker is still dead as far as I know. and Todd stayed dead for bloomin ages... the other two... yeah probably more like them.

He'll swagger into whever the current main Xmen HQ is, arm in arm with Jean and rattle off some needlessly complicated method of surviving.

Or he might be a Skrull... again...

I wish he would die for good.

I find him to be one of the most boring marvel characters going around.

It doesn't help that fox thinks Wolverine is the only character people like so they parade him as the main character in every X-men movie... they shouldn't even be called X-men (excluding First Class which is the only real X-men movie), Number 1 should be called Wolverine, X-men 2 needs to be retitled Wolverine 2 and the 3rd should be changed to "The last stand... of Wolverine".

Not even going to think about all those shitty Wolverine origins and spin-offs.

Why are they so obsessed with Wolverine? He has boring mutant abilities, his entire persona seems to be that of a boring asshole, he is just boring.

I also don't see any reason why Magneto couldn't have killed Wolverine 50x over by now. Can Wolverine really survive having his entire adamantium skeleton ripped from him and then having his head decapitated by his own claws while the rest of his body is being turned into mince meat by flying adamantium shrapnel?
That seems fairly easy for someone like Magneto to do.

Basically, I just want Wolverine to fuck off forever, though I know he won't.

Did anyone see the Robot Chicken DC Villains in Paradise special? Batman's eulogy for Green Arrow is all I can think about at the moment. Anyone out there have a clip for those who haven't seen it?

Shameless attempt by marvel to get their movie IP back "in house" by killing off the cash cow their competitors have been using to keep hold of the licence.
He'll stay dead until the movie rights are back in Disney's hands, only then will they bring him back.
(Unless the inevitable X23 revival proves angsty-female-teen wolverine is more popular once and for all)

That out of the way, boy does he need to die and stay dead. Wolverine has been a terribly written and characterised character since his inception. A PTSD suffering amnesiac short man with short-man-syndrome who's solution to every problem has always been violence, carrying a body count to rival most sci-fi galactic wars; final straw was the sheer hypocrisy he's been acting out for the last few years with his feud with Cyclops (really, the impressionable teen who grew up in your presence has taken on-board the lessons you taught and now you're angry that he's turned into a more effective you...).

Whatislove:
I wish he would die for good.

I find him to be one of the most boring marvel characters going around.

It doesn't help that fox thinks Wolverine is the only character people like so they parade him as the main character in every X-men movie... they shouldn't even be called X-men (excluding First Class which is the only real X-men movie), Number 1 should be called Wolverine, X-men 2 needs to be retitled Wolverine 2 and the 3rd should be changed to "The last stand... of Wolverine".

Not even going to think about all those shitty Wolverine origins and spin-offs.

Why are they so obsessed with Wolverine? He has boring mutant abilities, his entire persona seems to be that of a boring asshole, he is just boring.

I also don't see any reason why Magneto couldn't have killed Wolverine 50x over by now. Can Wolverine really survive having his entire adamantium skeleton ripped from him and then having his head decapitated by his own claws while the rest of his body is being turned into mince meat by flying adamantium shrapnel?
That seems fairly easy for someone like Magneto to do.

Basically, I just want Wolverine to fuck off forever, though I know he won't.

Actually, there is a comic where magneto rips hus skeleton out and uses it as a sort if body guard.

Wolverine has also survived a being run over by a steam roller and a direct hit from a nuke, to name but a few.

Dudes hard to kill.

Whatislove:

Congratulations, you've summed up how I feel about virtually all superheroes/heroines because...

OT: Death cannot be a meaningful source of drama in a universe where your odds of permanent death are inversely proportional to your popularity. At this point I really just want all the other characters to shrug and say "That's nice Logan. See you at dinner then?" At least the villains can be interesting, and lose, and die, and be proactive, sometimes in that order.

CriticalMiss:
He'll be killed by the common cold and Morgan Freeman will narrate his death. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

I would buy that. I really would because of Morgan Freeman does it then it's for keep because Morgan Freeman is GOD. ALL FALL BEFORE THE GLORY OF MORGAN FREEMAN.

Scrythe:

Let me add a bit to that, if you don't mind...
Remember when they killed off Jean Grey?
Remember when they killed off Peter Rasputin?
Remember when they killed off Kurt Wagner?
Remember when they killed off almost every villain there ever was?
Etc., etc., etc...

I am a Marvel fan, but deaths in Marvel comics have less impact than in a high-level D&D game.[1]

[1] Playing the Nerd Card? Moi?

Infernai:

Three months tops, then they'll send someone back to before he loses his healing ability and the entire arc will be by-passed...

Either I just wrote it for them or it's the same story they've used over and over!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here