Xbox Originals Launching This June

Xbox Originals Launching This June

Xbox Originals

Xbox Entertainment Studio's original television content will launch on Xbox and Microsoft products in June 2014.

Back when the Xbox One was first unveiled Microsoft made a point of detailing plans to bring original television series to the console that would exclusive to the Xbox community. Since then there have been occasional reveals here and there with promises of content launching within the first six months of 2014. A recent release from the company however, has shed more light on its Xbox Originals including when they'll start to launch.

Some of the programs showcased included known properties such as the Steven Spielberg Halo series and the gaming documentary series Signal to Noise. Other "committed" projects include the Ridley Scott Halo feature confirmed earlier this month (after prior debunking) as well as the sci-fi series Humans, an adaptation of the Swedish robot-centric series Real Humans.

Some new "projects in development" included Deadlands,an alternate history "Weird West" show based on the pen and paper RPG of the same name and a "hybrid stop-motion" series named Extraordinary Believers. Alongside these the company is also developing a reality series called Fearless, a detective thriller based on the Warren Ellis novel Gun Machine and the snow-pocalypse series Winterworld which will adapt the IDW graphic novel series of the same name. Xbox Entertainment Studios is also backing JASH a "comedy collective founded by Sarah Silverman, Michael Cera and Tim and Eric Reggie Watts" that will feature "new and unsung" comedy talents.

Microsoft's original series will begin airing this June.

Source: Xbox

You know, the title made me think MS just announced a Kinect-less version of the Xbone or something......... guess not.

This only confirms my theory that the XBone is a glorified Netflix machine....

For a second I got excited and assumed that they were going to start some kind of service or emulated backwards compatibility that would allow you to play your 360 and Xbox games on Xbox One... Now I'm back to not interested.

And how soon before Microsoft patches the Netflix apps off the Xbox 361?

0takuMetalhead:
This only confirms my theory that the XBone is a glorified Netflix machine....

It's a glorified Netflix machine that costs $500 and has that bloody spy tool that you can't remove from it...

OT: Well glad to see they spent their time wisely making tv shows instead of video games. Do they remember the whole damn point of making the console was for games right, not making it into a sports box/Netflix machine/whatever else they had in mind for it.

After the E3 show, It should have been logical to see this launched at the same time than the console itself...

sirjeffofshort:
For a second I got excited and assumed that they were going to start some kind of service or emulated backwards compatibility that would allow you to play your 360 and Xbox games on Xbox One... Now I'm back to not interested.

Yeah thought the same thing....

Such a shame

Not one, but TWO halo shows? Jesus christ. I guess they dont think people like original content

sirjeffofshort:

Same here. MS keeps killing my hopes of using their products again.

WTF...

Microsoft: We're gonna be releasing some shows that we've been discussing since launch.
Escapist: WHAT? MICRO$OFT BEING STUPID AGAIN!

>_>

dalek sec:
It's a glorified Netflix machine that costs $500 and has that bloody spy tool that you can't remove from it...

OT: Well glad to see they spent their time wisely making tv shows instead of video games. Do they remember the whole damn point of making the console was for games right, not making it into a sports box/Netflix machine/whatever else they had in mind for it.

You don't have to plug it in. But, you do have to PAY for it.

Oh come on. The press release last year was all about TV, TV, TV. They invested lot's of money into these shows. Why would they try to make more money by releasing them on more services than just the xbone's store. They're obviously the system sellers Titanfall was supposed to be./sarcasm

Rangarig:

Serious answer: They probably have a contract with Netflix and can't do too much to the app, for now. Otherwise, they'll wait for the ISPs taking advantage of fallen net neutrality in the States to affect Netflix even more and swoop in with their original content push a hurt Netflix out of the way.

Not-so-serious answer: They'll leave it on the xbone but throttle the connection and start offering discounts on their stuff to hook new viewers.

Programming exclusive to XBOne? Well, I better go buy a f**king XBone then because surely all this content will not find its way to Youtube or shady streaming sites and there will be no way for me to watch it otherwise.

Which reminds me, it's time I watched the newest episode of GoT right now!

Thread title is misleading, is misleading for all the wrong reasons.

I thought they were re-releasing the original Xbox titles on the Xbone. Then again, whatever made me think they'll do something smart is beyond me.

Rangarig:

You sir have no business sense....They'll just put it behind a pay wall :D.

and here i thought this was some sort of backwards compatibility program, you know vidya gaem stuff, but it seems microsoft isnt interested in any of that

I've been waiting forever for a Halo television show! I've already pre-ordered the season pass!

SourMilk:

You mean something in addition to the prerequisite XBox Live Gold for $60/year and Netflix subscription for $8/month, yes?

So nobody that doesn't have the xbone is allowed to watch the show, and people who do have an xbone have to deal with the console's gazillion prices and fees. So the only people who win here are the pirates, that's great

When I saw the headline, I thought this had something to do with indie games coming to the One. Little did I realize that games are only a small fraction of concerns for the Xbox division.

Josh12345:
You know, the title made me think MS just announced a Kinect-less version of the Xbone or something......... guess not.

I took it to mean they'd be putting original Xbox games on XBL or something. Like they did for a bit on the 360, then stopped.

*sigh*

MinionJoe:

SourMilk:

You mean something in addition to the prerequisite XBox Live Gold for $60/year and Netflix subscription for $8/month, yes?

>.> Didn't know that was already a thing. Haven't brought a console in years.

Isn't this supposed to be a gaming console?

The fuck microsoft?

Wanting to play video games on dedicated gaming machine? How charmingly 1990's! Ah faw faw faw!

I really do wonder just how much money Microsoft dumped into Ridley Scott's and Spielberg's yards to get them both to do Halo shit.

Valderis:
Isn't this supposed to be a gaming console?

The fuck microsoft?

Nope, the Xbone is 'the next watercooler'.

And when this shizzle launches does will that push the amount of exclusive TV shows on the 'Bone past the number of exclusive games? Truly a good sign.

Arnoxthe1:
WTF...

Microsoft: We're gonna be releasing some shows that we've been discussing since launch.

>_>

Microsoft is being stupid by acting stupid. Shows like these should have either A) be launched with console lauch so that their advertisement didnt go to waste at least. or B) not exist at all. Releasing them now is as terrible as Fox playing its show out of order.

Strazdas:

Arnoxthe1:
WTF...

>_>

Microsoft is being stupid by acting stupid. Shows like these should have either A) be launched with console lauch so that their advertisement didnt go to waste at least. or B) not exist at all. Releasing them now is as terrible as Fox playing its show out of order.

Except it's not playing it out of order? It's playing when they said it was going to.

In any case, this is really old news and not something to be ranting about anymore.

I read "Xbox Originals" as in "Titles from the Original Xbox". Like others have said, I was soon disappointed.

I expect a bad mix of Syfy and Machinima, right here. Which is a shame because the people from the site? They make fun stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here