First Look at the Sailor Moon Crystal Character Designs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

First Look at the Sailor Moon Crystal Character Designs

Sailor Moon Crystal, the new Sailor Moon anime, will begin airing July 5 and will be simulcast worldwide.

From Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi's manga to the 1992 anime adaptation to the upcoming 2014 anime, the Sailor Moon characters' appearances have changed. Following the announcement of the show's new cast, the official website revealed the first character designs.

Sailor Moon Crystal, the name of the new anime, is not a remake of the original anime but an adaptation more aligned with Takeuchi's manga. Even the character designs resemble the more mature style of the manga. Characters have long legs and the costumes are more detailed, seen in the chain on Sailor Venus's skirt. Sailor Mercury also has a sleeveless top. The art style lies somewhere between the manga and earlier anime.

Mitsuishi Kotono will reprise her role as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, and the rest of the cast is new. Hisako Kanemoto (Ika Musume from Squid Girl) will play Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury, Rina Satou (Mikoto Misaka from A Certain Scientific Railgun) will play Rei Hino/Sailor Mars, Ami Koshimizu (Ryuko Matoi from Kill la Kill) will play Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter, and Shizuka Itou (Rei Hasekura from Maria Watches Over Us) will play Minako Aino/Sailor Venus.

Crystal was one of 100 possible titles for the upcoming Sailor Moon, but Takeuchi liked "Crystal" best. Sailor Moon Crystal will begin airing July 5 at 7 p.m. in Japan, the same timeslot as the first Sailor Moon anime. Crystal will air the first and third Saturday every month.

Source: Sailor Moon official website via Anime News Network

Their heads seem a bit too top-heavy in certain of those poses.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of the super frilly, CLAMP-like character designs. But then this show is obviously not aimed at me.
Sailor Mars is still the best though.

Look good. Like that Makoto still has the rose earrings.

The Great JT:
Look good. Like that Makoto still has the rose earrings.

Good eye there, I didn't notice them till you pointed them out. :D

OT: Oh, they do look nice and a lot more like the style they have in the manga, fingers crossed this turns out well.

Takeuchi shouldn't be allowed to name any thing then. Crystal doesn't fit well with the name at all, and it's not a fluent word for repeating. Then again, Crystal will probably go well with the other shithole remakes/adaptions so maybe it will suit just fine.

Yay, I'm excited. I like the new look and can't wait to see more of it.
As always, love Sailor Jupiter. <3

Holy dated anime look batman. Sure looks like something from 90's lol. Is this going to be all hand drawn or will Inuyasha still remain the last completely hand drawn anime to exist? Just curious.

Nazulu:
Takeuchi shouldn't be allowed to name any thing then. Crystal doesn't fit well with the name at all, and it's not a fluent word for repeating. Then again, Crystal will probably go well with the other shithole remakes/adaptions so maybe it will suit just fine.

You have to remember, when they consider the title, they are doing it in Japanese, not English.

Which in Japanese is Bishōjo Senshi Sērāmūn Kurisutaru.

Looks like Sailor Moon. My wife should get a kick out of this. She's a mondo sailor moon fan.

Sailor Moon was my first anime, predating even Dragon Ball Z. Heck, I had a Sailor Moon action figure (NOT a doll) when I was a kid. I never put much effort into getting back into the series over the years, but the memories are still there. I might give this a shot. The designs certainly seem solid; I just hope that the localization isn't as terribad as the original was. Especially with the slug names. *shudder*

DTWolfwood:
Holy dated anime look batman. Sure looks like something from 90's lol. Is this going to be all hand drawn or will Inuyasha still remain the last completely hand drawn anime to exist? Just curious.

Inuyasha is not completely hand draw, they switched away from hand draw during season 4.

The designs look a little dated at this point. I was into sailormoon bigtime as a kid, but that sort of character design is a little weird to look at in this day and age.

Oh geez, my early teens, I see them. Just over there with Kevin Z. fake-flirting with everything and Andrew throwing up in the middle of class, and me staring at Matt really, really obviously and creepily all day long.

We all learned how to play that alien dude's flute song in band class on all our instruments. Everyone.

And during computer time (half hour or so) I would go online, find and download like 5 (all I had time for, I remember sitting there waiting for shit to load) really nice pictures of the scouts and print them to take home.

Oh gawd, then years later and going to a con at the University and poking my head in on the last movie with all those man-girl scout things and seeing my neighbour in a costume. Thankfully not as a scout, but he was a jedi in a bathrobe. It was weird.

... I'll watch it, but probably not until a ways down the line.

These are pretty cool designs, looking forward to seeing the style in motion. And I'm not sure why, but to me it looks like there's some influence from Western animation in there.

I've always wanted to watch Sailor Moon but I might just wait until this is out, especially if its closer to the manga.

Look like they were faithful to the original designs. Still I have no interest to watch the new anime but I hoped the fans will like the new version.

iniudan:

Nazulu:

You have to remember, when they consider the title, they are doing it in Japanese, not English.

Which in Japanese is Bishōjo Senshi Sērāmūn Kurisutaru.

You're 100% right. Didn't think about that at all. Though sometimes they change the words for other languages, so we'll see.

Nazulu:

How does crystal not fit? Especially given the titles the other seasons of the first show had. At least crystals have a TON of importance in this series, so it at least fits thematically.

I remember their legs always being long but have they always been twice as long as their torso+head?

Metalix Knightmare:

Nazulu:

How does crystal not fit? Especially given the titles the other seasons of the first show had. At least crystals have a TON of importance in this series, so it at least fits thematically.

I already said why. Say it to yourself, Sailor Moon Crystal. The last word sounds off compared with the others. Including, it's cliche' and ladidadida.

The Japanese original iniudan brought works a lot better, though a bit long.

rofltehcat:
I remember their legs always being long but have they always been twice as long as their torso+head?

Nope. That's to emphasize the original bishoujo manga aesthetic. Long spindely legs and arms, Huge doe eyes, and an emphasis on hairstyles.

With PMMM and other stuff dissecting the magical girl genre viciously, this will be interesting.

Hopefully they make a bad dub so that it revives my 90s nostalgia

Marik2:
Hopefully they make a bad dub so tat it revives me 90s nostalgia

It'll probably be picked up by Funimation which means no dub at all, considering their treatment of the license thus far. Hopefully it'll be picked up by Media Blasters so the former 4kids actors can work on it.

Wow, over a decade later and Sailor Mercury is still hot--er, I mean, uh...they all look great! Yeah, that's what I mean!

Honestly, if they decided to be more faithful to the manga, I hope they still take some liberties with the show. The other Sailor Scouts (sorry, that's what I call them) are pretty much useless in the manga version. They're always getting captured, losing their powers, or straight up dying. It always comes down to Sailor Moon having to stop the bad guy, and while I know it's supposed to work like that, at least in the anime the other Scouts were able to be helpful and do stuff. I haven't even been able to read the final story arch with Galaxia because Mercury and Jupiter (?) got kill about ten pages in and they don't come back until the end of the series, which is another whole book. And they didn't even really go down fighting.
So yeah, I'm hoping the TV show will be able to be a bit more free with the other characters than the manga was.

And the manga gets really really heavy into the relationship between Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon, to the point where it drowns out the rest of the story in many cases.

Still totally going to watch this though. I just hope it's not one-hundred percent faithful to the manga, otherwise it's going to be a chore to get through some parts.

biweekly huh? well at least that means I won't have to download a whole season after bootcamp.

I like that the art is overall very similar to the original series but the senshi do look a little too thin especially in the neck. I'm definitely looking forward to the new series though. Maybe the thinness will look less obvious in motion.

Whelp, this is awkward. They look extremely like the old designs, but just a little bit... off. It's hard to put my finger on it, but let's just say they almost scream "uncanny valley", at least from my point of view.

Hmm.

Never seen Sailor Moon, but I am aware of it's classic status.

I know this may seem picky, but you would have figured they would have modernized the designs a bit more in order to compensate for the more moe-centric style they have going these days. The designs look as if they're stuck in the 90s.

Not that I mind, I just really like the simplistic designs they have going in modern stuff.

BUT. Toei has proven themselves to be competent in the animation department as shown by their work on Kyousougiga last year. For those who haven't seen Kyousougiga, it's a visual spectacle through and through and it's totally worth a watch.

So yeah. I'll watch it, I guess.

rofltehcat:

Let's put it this way: there's this old comic called Dork Tower (I think it may be a web comic now, but it used to be something you could pick up in comic book shops) where, as the punchline of a joke where a character gave a bunch of fancy names for geeky hobbies[1] (graphic novels for comic books, speculative fiction for sci-fi, etc.), he described anime as "prepubescent cartoon girls with giant boobs and legs up to their armpits." I always took that part of the joke to be mostly referring to Sailor Moon.

[1] The setup was that he was trying to impress a girl in a bar. He used the fancier names to try not to scare her off, but when he was asked to explain them he did it in the worst way possible

Interesting indeed.

As many have stated, this art style definitely has a 90's feel to it. Some might call it dated, but I think it looks good.

And quite frankly, this art style is probably going to work in Sailor Moon's favor. Simply because: It doesn't look like anything else coming out right now. It'll stand out from the crowd.

Incidentally:

Phasmal:

You have good taste. Sailor Jupiter is best Sailor Scout.

Phasmal:

Leemaster777:

You have good taste. Sailor Jupiter is best Sailor Scout.

Them's fighting words. Mars all the way! Don't make me invoke the power of the red planet to hammer the point home. >:( Treat us all to some of Jupiter's delicious homecooking, though, and I'll forgive you.

Quite curious to see how this turns out. Blast from the past, nostalgia, etc...so yeah. Keeping an eye on this.

Well I am more than looking forward to this new sailor moon series, being a longtime fancier of the original series from the nineties and I still hold some fond and affectionate memories of it and well the obvious omnipresent cloud of nostalgia is also a part of it.

Being that sailor moon was the first anime series I ever watched.

After the official announcement, that there is going to be a new series due to the commendation of the 20th anniversary of the sailor moon franchise, I was pretty enthusiastic because of this and even more so after the revelation that this new series would adapt the source material in this case the manga in a fare more faithful way.

With fewer liberties taken place this time with the adaption as opposed to the original anime.

Which of couse also has its merits and drawbacks.

I... thought the design updates were going to be a little more drastic. This is like Malibu Stacey... with a new hat (belt). It's safe and boring...

I would have thought they might simplify the design to allow more action scenes and make it have much more fluid motions.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

Ah, sweet memories. Not the first anime I watched, but still one I cherish. Despite being aimed at girls, largely, the anime had a strong following of guys, too.

I was always torn between Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter. They had very admirable qualities that made them as great as the other two, but ahead of Venus, and Moon.

I look forward to seeing this when I can.

The somewhat stretched body style might take some getting used to though.

Damn, they need to eat more and get some meat on those bones.

I suppose it resembles the manga more? Been a while since I read that old series.

Let's hope this one turns out better then those old TV shows. XD

Has there been any word on Hotaru? I hope they make her as ridicules as in the manga, give me my cyborg, psychic, glaive wielding, universe destroying waifu damnit!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here