Nintendo Hosting Smash Bros. Tournament at E3, Ditching Press Conference

Nintendo Hosting Smash Bros. Tournament at E3, Ditching Press Conference

Nintendo will host an invitational Super Smash Bros. tournament at E3 this June.

Nintendo detailed its plans for this year's E3 through a comedic video featuring Mega 64 and Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. The company will not give an in-person press conference at E3 this year and has opted for livestreams and special attention for Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U.

Nintendo will host its first Super Smash Bros. invitational tournament at E3 in the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. Nintendo will stream the tournament via webcast and reveal information about the 16 invited participants and the announcers soon. For those not attending E3, Best Buy stores across the U.S. will have Super Smash Bros. for Wii U available to play during E3 from June 10 to 12.

Like last year, Nintendo will not hold an in-person press conference at E3, sticking to delivering its content to fans directly through livestreams. A Nintendo Digital Event on June 10 9 a.m. PT / 12 p.m. ET will address the company's plans for the rest of this year and the near future. The company will also host a Nintendo Treehouse livestream event in which the company will showcase game demos and more from Nintendo's booth at E3, streamed from the show floor during all hours of E3.

E3 tradition meant companies gave stage performances when showing off new games and products. Nintendo is embracing the online atmosphere to speak to fans directly. The company will have to make sure to bring content worth sharing.

Source: Nintendo

I get stick for saying Nintendo hating things like 'the Wii U isn't selling well' so I want to get this one the table right now.

This is frigging awesome. Nintendo automatically wins E3

While it makes me a little sad they aren't doing another Conference this year, the fact that there is going to be a bunch of Live Streams plus a Smash Bros. Tournament is A thousand Times better then just one Nintendo Direct and Demos for the Games last year.

Wish I could go, but sadly I can't, as it's too far away...

Ha, take that investors! :D

Really good to see things liven up (pun intended) at E3 instead of the usual "business business business looking forward for the future here's a game we're announcing but not going into any detail for more than a year from now business business business".

Hard to hold a Press Conference when you have nothing to really say hmm?

BigTuk:

Assumptions much? Most everyone thought the same thing last year and look how that turned out. You don't need a 3 hour conference to announce games.

This really looks like a big step up from what they did last year. I especially like that Nintendo is now more open to the competitive Super Smash scene. It really shows how much the company has grown lately. I just hope they have plenty of new games to announce this year.

ToastiestZombie:

BigTuk:

Assumptions much? Most everyone thought the same thing last year and look how that turned out. You don't need a 3 hour conference to announce games.

And kudos to nintendo for being the first to realize that.

BigTuk:

ToastiestZombie:

BigTuk:

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean? Is that sarcasm or what?

I've already seen this news posted on IGN and Nintendo Life. IGN had mixed reactions; there are so many people commenting that the one consistent thing seems to be arguing with one another. As for Nintendo Life, the comment sections surprised me as it's filled with doom and gloom and negative reactions.

I'd have never thought that the first site I'd find a positive reaction to Nintendo E3 news would be the Escapist. I know there are Nintendo fans also on the Escapist but still, I'm kind of used to seeing more negative opinions towards Nintendo popping up. Finally seeing some positive comments on this matter pleases me.

The SSB stuff is awesome to hear, although not being from the US I'm worried that the whole Best Buy matter won't be available in other countries. Not that it matters too much, I'll be busy watching the Nintendo E3 event, which I don't mind it being another digital affair, it did make it a lot easier to watch and I actually found the connection better than previous years when they did the shows. So yeah, nothing more to say on the matter other than this news pleases me and seeing the reactions of Escapist members in these here comments also pleases me.

ToastiestZombie:

BigTuk:

ToastiestZombie:

[apology]Sorry that was meant to be a joke... [/apology]

[explanation]this humor thing you meat-bags go on about is much more difficult than indicated.[/explanation]

BigTuk:

ToastiestZombie:

BigTuk:

[apology]Sorry that was meant to be a joke... [/apology]

[explanation]this humor thing you meat-bags go on about is much more difficult than indicated.[/explanation]

Ah alright. I was worried you might be an avid IGN/Gametrailer reader come to speak the gospel of the almighty Dorito God, Geoff Keighley. It's funny how angry game journalists get if they can't get "exclusive" access to things and companies want to speak to fans instead of bloggers.

Good on you Nintendo. The stage show is expensive and if you can find a more affordable way to push your merchandise, go for it.

Just... for your sake, have something that will really get us excited. We want it, you need it. Let's do this together.

Hopefully this means they do not try to shut down tournament streams of SSB Melee again. Or have one of their developers say that progamers are "maniacs". Now Nintendo realizes that eSports is a thing after being so disrespectfull to the scene. It's much more worse than how Blizzard dealt with the BroodWar scene when Starcraft 2 was on the horizon.

It will be interesting to see if the new Smash is any good. When the competitive scene got it's hands on the Wii version, they later switched back to Melee because the new Smash was meh.

For anyone interested in the Smash community, I'd recommend to watch "The Smash Brothers". Probably one of the best eSports documantaries out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSf2mgkRm7Q

I say go right ahead with another Direct instead of a presser. I can't wait to see people misinterpreting this as "Nintendo not attending E3."

Nintendo's hosting a Smash tournament? That's definitely a step in the right direction from last year, when they refused to stream Melee at EVO.

As for E3 itself, I expect Nintendo do give a release date for X, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros. I also expect them to reveal Miyamoto's new IP.

E3 isn't my kind of thing. But shareholders and the business end fucking love it. Nintendo is trying not to play that game, and all power to them, but E3 and big product launches whilst overblown, gaudy PR showcases tend to be some of the only things that punch through to the mainstream press with any consistency. It's sad but it's true; EA is for everyone except gamers.

If Nintendo can't get their message to punch through then once again they fail to make people see they still exist. The Wii-U didn't work out partly because they didn't do the whole "Three way generation start madness" and quietly did their own thing... that no one heard... and that confused a lot of mass market consumers.

I like that Nintendo isn't staging another pitiful attempt at an E3 show but i do think they need to consider that the public at large has lost focus on them.

Welp, the Regginator is now canon.

It's good to see Nintendo's being a little more nurturing of their competitively-gaming fans, but I worry that it may not give Nintendo the push they need to succeed in the investors' eyes. Essentially, I reaaaaally want Nintendo to succeed, but I'm worried they won't.

Thats pretty cool, a bunch of pro players all going at a new game at the same time on a big stage. That shits gonna be entertaining to watch.

LightningFast:
Welp, the Regginator is now canon.

It's good to see Nintendo's being a little more nurturing of their competitively-gaming fans, but I worry that it may not give Nintendo the push they need to succeed in the investors' eyes. Essentially, I reaaaaally want Nintendo to succeed, but I'm worried they won't.

I'd much prefer Nintendo to be doing this than having their E3 conferences turned into the messes that Microsoft's and to a lesser extent Sony's are. Literally the only difference between this and doing a conference is the audience, and when you're not a gaming journalist and just watching at home doesn't really matter anyway. Honestly I'm just seeing this as just another excuse to hate Nintendo because they aren't doing what the "cool kids" are doing.

Knowing that Smash Bros will sell like candy they don't need a press conference.

ToastiestZombie:

I'd much prefer Nintendo to be doing this than having their E3 conferences turned into the messes that Microsoft's and to a lesser extent Sony's are. Literally the only difference between this and doing a conference is the audience, and when you're not a gaming journalist and just watching at home doesn't really matter anyway. Honestly I'm just seeing this as just another excuse to hate Nintendo because they aren't doing what the "cool kids" are doing.

Especially since new is going to get out there regardless. Websites will STILL report on it, they'll STILL give their impressions, and they'll STILL inevitably whine about Nintendo's showings for arbitrary reasons. I would just say the difference is that the Directs are less pretentious

I am pretty skeptical about the new Smash Bros. to be frank. The disappointment in Brawl has been that strong for me so I don't really keep my hopes up high on this one. They are making such a huge deal of returning characters. No Captain Falcon? Yeah right. And no Falco as well huh? Just like how the next Street Fighter certainly won't have Ken in it, right?

While Rosalina is an awesome (and obvious) addition to the cast together with Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac seeming like very fun additions, I am not really too keen of Villager, Lucario instead of Mewtwo again, the amount of Pokemon characters with no Jigglypuff in sight, Pit, and on and on... I certainly won't be buying a Wii U for it. I MIGHT get it for my 2DS though - after trying it first.

So: do I think it's a good idea to bet everything on Smash in E3 with Brawl in mind? Certainly not. Is it better than holding a press conference when you have nothing else to show? Yes. Yes it is.

I'd really love it to be a sequel to Melee rather than Brawl, but it's just too hard to imagine with Nintendo making so many bad calls (in my opinion anyway): Villager, quirky returns of Brawl, mystery of returning characters (Ice Climbers? G&W? Ness?), the lack of Golden Sun and the awkward and long-term marketing of the game. Hype does die down after a while. The new Smash feels more like an advertisement for the games its characters are from as opposed to being a legit fighting game itself.
Hell, they even screwed up naming the damn thing. Call it Smash Bros. Exceed, Revolution, Overdrive, Nova, ANYTHING for crying out loud, not "Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS"... Then again, they did the same mistake with the 3DS and the Wii U to begin with.

Vyress:

So: do I think it's a good idea to bet everything on Smash in E3 with Brawl in mind? Certainly not. Is it better than holding a press conference when you have nothing else to show? Yes. Yes it is.

What? They are doing a conference it just isn't live in front of gaming journalists. And they've already pretty much confirmed at least two brand new announcements (Zelda U and Miyamoto's new IP) at E3.

Will they be playing Wii U Smash Bros at this tournament? Because if so, why is the game still 5 months + away?

Still, I like the way they're doing E3, straight to the point and not as expensive, I've like the way Nintendo Direct works so far.

BigTuk:

They release their information about their games about once a month through Nintendo Direct, so yeah, they have nothing to say at E3, because they say it elsewhere.

A tournament is also a lot better than a conference. They're giving players hands on experience with the most anticipated Nintendo game of the year, rather than just having some guy stand up there saying a few power words and showing a couple of new games that'll be out in a year or two.

chozo_hybrid:
Will they be playing Wii U Smash Bros at this tournament? Because if so, why is the game still 5 months + away?

Still, I like the way they're doing E3, straight to the point and not as expensive, I've like the way Nintendo Direct works so far.

It'll most likely be that they'll be playing the Wii U Smash Bros. If they weren't, then why would they have Best Buy demos for the Wii U version?

As for release dates, I think most of it falls down to when people will most likely play Smash Bros on the Wii U. During the winter, people are more likely to be in their homes playing on a home console rather than being out on vacation with a handheld.

Also, for people like me, Smash Bros is a system seller, regardless of whether it's multiplatform. I'll probably be buying the 3DS version for casual play, then be buying the Wii U version for the tighter controls and to play on a big screen.

Releasing them at the same time wouldn't yield as much profit, basically.

SMASH BROS
TOURNAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENT

You have no idea how happy this makes me. Been playing Smash since I was just a wee tot, and now Best Buy is gonna be putting up the new one for competition?

I just, I fucking... Nintendo wins.

Hopefully that will be around the time the 3DS version of the game is out, so I can go in, play a few rounds, and then head home for moar smashing.

Dexterity:

chozo_hybrid:

It'll most likely be that they'll be playing the Wii U Smash Bros. If they weren't, then why would they have Best Buy demos for the Wii U version?

As for release dates, I think most of it falls down to when people will most likely play Smash Bros on the Wii U. During the winter, people are more likely to be in their homes playing on a home console rather than being out on vacation with a handheld.

Also, for people like me, Smash Bros is a system seller, regardless of whether it's multiplatform. I'll probably be buying the 3DS version for casual play, then be buying the Wii U version for the tighter controls and to play on a big screen.

We've had a discussion about release dates before in a different thread (I'm that dude from New Zealand), so I'm not going to repeat as you already know my stance :D

I now have a 2DS, so it doesn't bug me as much, but it just seems weird to delay it so much if it's tournament ready is all. They could still have a few months between em, but half a year, some people won't like it. I am happy so long as all that extra time is well spent on developing it though.

chozo_hybrid:

Dexterity:

chozo_hybrid:

We've had a discussion about release dates before in a different thread (I'm that dude from New Zealand), so I'm not going to repeat as you already know my stance :D

I now have a 2DS, so it doesn't bug me as much, but it just seems weird to delay it so much if it's tournament ready is all. They could still have a few months between em, but half a year, some people won't like it. I am happy so long as all that extra time is well spent on developing it though.

I doubt the 3DS version will launch in June, it'll most likely come out mid to late summer.

Just because they're having a tournament for a game, it doesn't mean that it's completely ready. Dota 2 was launched into closed beta with a $1'000'000 tournament, and that was before they even released half of the heroes.

Dexterity:

chozo_hybrid:

Dexterity:

I doubt the 3DS version will launch in June, it'll most likely come out mid to late summer.

Just because they're having a tournament for a game, it doesn't mean that it's completely ready. Dota 2 was launched into closed beta with a $1'000'000 tournament, and that was before they even released half of the heroes.

Dota 2 is not the best example, because that was made available for anyone to play a long time before it was "released." But I understand what you mean. But yeah, it could be a very bare bones Wii U Smash Bros.

chozo_hybrid:

The same reason for the Mario Kart Wii U version from last year. Remember at Best Buy they had they had the MK8 demos even though it's coming out next year?

My thoughts on this is that just like the MK8 one they simply want real consumer feedback on the game and see if there is anything they can fix before the final dates for them to be shipped off for the holidays. Or perhaps there is a bug in there that they couldn't find and would only show up once a giant consumer mass actually starts playing the game.

Dragonbums:

chozo_hybrid:

The same reason for the Mario Kart Wii U version from last year. Remember at Best Buy they had they had the MK8 demos even though it's coming out next year?

My thoughts on this is that just like the MK8 one they simply want real consumer feedback on the game and see if there is anything they can fix before the final dates for them to be shipped off for the holidays. Or perhaps there is a bug in there that they couldn't find and would only show up once a giant consumer mass actually starts playing the game.

I was unaware of that since we don't have Best Buy here in New Zealand or anything that had their E3 stuff going on. But thanks for the insight, that seems like a decent idea for a company to get feedback and make people happy to be able to have a go too.

chozo_hybrid:

Dota 2 is not the best example, because that was made available for anyone to play a long time before it was "released." But I understand what you mean. But yeah, it could be a very bare bones Wii U Smash Bros.

It wasn't. The International 1, the first Dota 2 tournament was held at the start of the game's beta. I seriously mean the start of the proper beta, not at the point where everyone got spammed with Dota 2 beta keys. Professionals were competing in the tournament before hardly anyone had even played Dota 2.

Dexterity:

chozo_hybrid:

It wasn't. The International 1, the first Dota 2 tournament was held at the start of the game's beta. I seriously mean the start of the proper beta, not at the point where everyone got spammed with Dota 2 beta keys. Professionals were competing in the tournament before hardly anyone had even played Dota 2.

Oh? I'm not really a MOBA guy so I didn't know, all I knew is that it had been in Beta forever.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here