Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced

Star Wars Cast

Star Wars: Episode VII will feature the acting talents of Adam Driver, Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow among others.

The cast of Star Wars: Episode VII has finally been unveiled.

According to a release on the official Star Wars website the film's principal cast will include a variety of actors including John Boyega (Attack the Block), Daisy Ridley(Blue Witness), Adam Driver(Girls), Oscar Isaac(Sucker Punch), Andy Serkis(The Lord of the Rings), Domhnall Gleeson (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and Max von Sydow (The Exorcist). They will join the franchise's original stars, including Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker.

"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," said director J.J. Abrams. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

As "surreal" as it may be for Abrams, this bulk is likely to inspire a lot of excitement in the franchise's, many of whom have been debating and speculating about the potential identities for the new cast. Just personally the presence of skilled and veteran actors like Max von Sydow and Andy Serkis does a lot to strengthen my confidence in the film which, at times, has seemed to going through some less than stellar developments. What's your take on the revealed cast? Does the Force seem strong with this one or has it turned to the Dark Side?

Source: Star Wars

If they got Andy Serkis to mo-cap a Noghri, I will laugh my ass off and then weep bitter tears. Not that they would ever do that.

I kind of like that they're going for mostly unknowns in what I presume will be the leads. And that Max von Sydow will be around, in what I hope will be a good role in the tradition of old-timers like Alec Guiness and Christopher Lee.

*crossing fingers*

Talent is one thing. A story is another. Here's hoping for real sets and real character moments!

So they dig up the fossils from the original trilogy, but leave out Billy Dee?

Eight new characters, and only one of them is a woman. Really pushing those boundaries, JJ!

Mcoffey:
Eight new characters, and only one of them is a woman. Really pushing those boundaries, JJ!

I forget, does the Falcon have a kitchen? (please don't punch me)

Scars Unseen:

Mcoffey:

Hey, every place needs a kitchen. That's where the food is! Why would anyone not want to be in the kitchen? Don't people get hungry? >.>

Scars Unseen:

Mcoffey:

How will she have time for the kitchen when she's so busy being kidnapped by the badguys and kissing the boys?

Mcoffey:

Scars Unseen:

Mcoffey:

How will she have time for the kitchen when she's so busy being kidnapped by the badguys and kissing the boys?

Nah, that's the second movie. Someone's gotta make the snacks while Leia models her slave bikini for the fellas.

And now you will never get that image out of your head.

as i've said many times before...consider me an "anti-naysayer" on this.

i think these movies will surprise a lot of people...

...not least because they are being made by a self confessed and lifelong "Star Wars Fanboy"...

JJ really has a thing against women, doesn't he?

You had me at Darth von Sydow and Andy Serkis. In fact, Serkis should do all the aliens no matter what. Including Ewoks. Interesting how all the newbies are lesser known actors. Then again, considering how that was with the original trilogy repeating the same thing seems sound

Mcoffey:

So the cast was recruited by a Ferengi <:

GameChanger:

Star Wars has always been a sausage fest...so the charge can't really soley be leveled at JJ...at tbth at least we're likely to get somewhat beyond "incubator" as the sole female role this time out...

HBaskerville:

That was what I was thinking... Lando may have only been in one and a half films but he was still a pretty important character, plus he was all over the Expanded Universe. I know that these wretches have decided that the EU is no longer part of the official canon (kind of the assumption I'd been working under for a while now) but it clearly shows that he's popular enough to warrant a cameo as well.

OT: A good cast doesn't mean anything if the script and characters they're playing is poorly written. Look at the prequel trilogy - tons of stars there, but even Liam Neeson couldn't redeem Qui-Gon Jinn. Hell, Laurence Olivier couldn't have made that shit watchable to a viewer above the age of 5. I'd like some plot details before I go getting excited about Andy Serkis being attached to Star Wars.

Sleekit:

...not least because they are being made by a self confessed and lifelong "Star Wars Fanboy"...

Yeah, that's not necessarily a good thing. You might end up with something where the person is so in love with the originals they will just copy stuff they loved, without innovating or realizing the context.

Or you might end up with something like what S W Anderson did with Resident Evil; glorified fanfiction with his super-cool OC (Don't steal!) who meets all the original characters but is so much cooler you guys.

That being said, meh. They'll probably be ok, everyone will say 'well it was better than the prequels' and in a few years no-one cares about them. Or rather they all blend together.

Really excited about Serkis, but seriously, John Boyega? The most inexpressive out of all the kids from Attack the Block?

Lieju:
They'll probably be ok, everyone will say 'well it was better than the prequels'

I think this is probably your worst case scenario.

It's very unlikely we get a mess. For all that people like to shit on the Trek reboot for abandoning the spiritual center of the series (and I get it), Abrams is a competent director. I doubt we'll see landmark cinematic classics, but I think we'll get servicably entertaining movies that help scrub some of the pong off the franchise left by the prequels. Star Wars is a bit more in keeping with Abrams cinematic sensibilities than Trek, and he's a bigger fan of the property, so that should be in their favor as well.

Cautiously optimistic.

I honestly think I almost had an orgasm when I saw the picture. Seriously.

I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, this or the possibility of another Mr Plinkett starwars review. Either way, I hope this does ok.

StewShearer:
Oscar Isaac(Inside Llewyn Davis)

Fixed it for ya.

OT:
Well, if nothing else, it'll have a great cast I guess, despite the fact that Billy Dee Williams doesn't seem to be returning. At the moment, I suppose you could say I'm on board, because it is more Star Wars after all, but I wouldn't consider myself incredibly hyped.

Still don't trust JJ Abrams to deliver on this one. I'm just not fond of his directorial style at all. :/

Does the Star Wars universe really need a bunch of Ewoks chanting "Moses! Yo Moses! Ey Moses!" all the time?

EDIT:

Scrumpmonkey:
*snippity*

Sir, I salute your avatar.

We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.

I don't know why, but I can only see this statement in a negative light. Directors and producers should be focusing on making the movie they want to make, not trying to go out of their way to please a fan base. It will only turn the movie into a mess... and will most likely piss off the fanbase anyways (exhibit A: Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Max von Sydow hmm I hope this is his costume

HBaskerville:

Good to see I'm not the only one who noticed his name missing from the list. Seriously, Disney? The Lego Movie was able to get him to reprise his famous role, but your guys won't? That's pretty messed up. Here's hoping that maybe he is in the film, just not a major character.

I don't really care about the actors. I want to know who they're playing. I'm still grieving over the fact that the last twenty-or-so years of my life have been 'invalidated' by Disney, and I'm looking for some comfort. However, seeing as there's only one new woman on the cast, I guess that means that either Mara Jade or Jaina are out. Or both of them.

StewShearer:
Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker.

Can we please just let those fucking droids die already?

Seeing some of the original cast come back kinda fills me with dread. Iconic, mythic characters who were a part of your childhood are never meant to be seen as old and overweight...

And as has been already mentioned: it's pathetic the main cast list seems so biased towards male characters/against female characters. I hope the actual film is a little more even.

I think I'm gonna needs fancy production stills, and a teaser or two, to quell my 'I have a bad feeling about this' style nerves.

Max von Sydow is still alive?! God, I need to get out more. ^^;

This looks like an impressive line-up so far. I just hope that the final film lives up to the hype and not sink into the depths that the prequels crawled out of. Until then, I shall be chanting the eternal prayer of "Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck, etc."

GameChanger:

To be fair even the original trilogy didn't have that many female characters, Leia and Mon Mothma are the only 2 i can think of. Hell the Prequels only had Padme' and Shmi and one of them died in the second film. there will be Females on screen, but main character wise there is never that many.

Darth Rosenberg:
And as has been already mentioned: it's pathetic the main cast list seems so biased towards male characters/against female characters. I hope the actual film is a little more even.

See above :P

BanicRhys:

StewShearer:
Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker.

Can we please just let those fucking droids die already?

You may as well kill Bumblebee in Transformers.

Or take Wolverine out of the X-men films.

R2 and 3P0 will be in Starwars films so long as they are made, it's a god given fact and anyone who thought they wouldn't return in this film is a muppet -.-

>No Billy Dee Williams among the cast
>Not seeing this movie

But seriously, the cast looks good so far... However, if I've learned anything from those X-Men movies is that a good cast does not always equal a good movie, overall...

Still, I still a A LOT of patience left over to wait for the final product to ensue...

So, this is the cast of Star Wars VII. And Khan isn't the villain in Star Trek 2, and everything in Lost will have a logical scientific explanation.

I have a really bad feeling about this.

arc1991:
To be fair even the original trilogy didn't have that many female characters, Leia and Mon Mothma are the only 2 i can think of. Hell the Prequels only had Padme' and Shmi and one of them died in the second film. there will be Females on screen, but main character wise there is never that many.

'They did it terribly in the past' doesn't equal 'it's okay to do it stoopid now'. As a kid Leia being one of the only females in the entire galaxy worth a damn didn't occur to me, 'cause I was a kid, ergo marbles and dinosaurs were a higher priority than gender representations.

...but this is the space-year 2014 and everyone should now know better. It's getting boring seeing just one or two females (often variations of the Strong Female Character trope) surrounded by blokes in films.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here