Report: Google to Replace Nexus Phones with Android Silver Brand

Report: Google to Replace Nexus Phones with Android Silver Brand

Google Nexus 5 310x

After Nexus is scrapped, Android Silver phones could come from Motorola and LG.

Reports from The Information (via The Verge) say that Google is close to scrapping its Nexus phone program.

Instead of pushing Nexus-branded smartphones, Google will introduce a new program called Android Silver. The new partnership could initially be with LG and Motorola, with Samsung, HTC, and Sony possibly (hopefully) following suit later.

Instead of shipping Google-branded phones with a stock version of the mobile OS, Android Silver would see very lightly customized Android software running on high-end hardware. In exchange for only mildly changing the Android recipe, participating phone makers would have marketing campaigns, etc. subsidized by Google.

Samsung, HTC, and Sony already offer Google Play versions of their phones, which is why they aren't yet tied to the new Android Silver program.

Google has already reasserted itself with some Android partner, including Samsung. Earlier this year, Google met with Samsung, and asked the manufacturer to tone down its Android customization efforts.

While came to the nexus line to get the stock android experience, i stayed with it because it offered the best hardware for a reasonable price. Selling it unlocked and for half of what the iphone would retail sealed the deal. I currently have a nexus 4 and was looking to get the nexus 6 (if that's what it's called). I haven't been disappointed by google hardware yet.

I hope that the Android Silver program works in a similar manner and that Silver is just a rebranding.

So now every google phone is gonna be filled with crap I didn't ask for. My main reason for getting Nexus 4 was the base Android OS.

My only complaint was the digitizer is one with the glass. You crack the screen and that portion of the touchscreen becomes non-functional.

So... Basically anyone who likes the Vanilla Android approach is shit out of luck, and anyone who likes the highly customized versions has no reason to care about this.

So... New phones from the usual manufacturers that please neither crowd, but get free marketing from Google. Awesome. Also, fuck that,

This already pissed me off, the Nexus line is great. I own two of the tablets and was planning on getting a Nexus phone this year instead of the S5 because I am fed up of Touch Whiz and trying to thin the damn thing out, I guess there wont be a 2014 Nexus 5 now. Well I guess Sony just earned themselves another Xperia Z One II sale (or whatever they are calling it).

I wanted the new nexus 10 :( ( if it ever made )

The nexus program is amazing, almost top of the top hardware at a reasonable price well made phones without any Samsung plastic crap. Ah well i think cyanogenmod is about to get a big boost if this rumor is true.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here