FCC on Open Internet: "All Options" Are on the Table

FCC on Open Internet: "All Options" Are on the Table

FCC Logo

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler: "Further delay will only exacerbate this problem."

The FCC is on the offensive again, as Chairman Tom Wheeler has published a new post detailing his plans to pursue an Open Internet.

Companies like Comcast are now charging for "fast lane" Internet access, charging bandwidth-heavy companies extra money to access faster broadband speeds. This kind of system has been received less-than-enthusiastically by consumers, with much ire being directed towards the FCC.

"There has been a great deal of discussion about how our proposal to follow the court's roadmap will result in a so-called "fast lane" and Internet "haves" and "have-nots," said Wheeler in the post. "This misses the point. The proposed rule is built to ensure that everyone has access to an Internet that is sufficiently robust to enable consumers to access the content, services and applications they demand, as well as an Internet that offers innovators and edge providers the ability to offer new products and services."

Wheeler then goes on to outline what is not "commercially reasonable," including preferred access to affiliates, degrading access speed to force consumers into higher tiers, and so on.

Wheeler also declared that the FCC would have additional details on "the matter of municipal ownership or sponsorship of competitive broadband networks."

Net Neutrality, also known as Open Internet, is at a tipping point. The US courts shot down the FCC's efforts to reclassify Internet providers as more controllable utilities. In the wake of that decision, and the FCC's decision to not seek an appeal, Internet providers like Comcast are starting to charge (or at the very least, accept) premiums for network access.

Bother that nonsense. If the FCC did their job, there wouldn't be any problems to exacerbate.

Wheeler needs to nut the fuck up, admit he's in Comcast's pocket, and resign his fucking post. Then we need an appointee to take his place who hasn't been a 40-year lobbyist for the industry he's supposed to regulate. We might actually get an FCC that does its fucking job at that point, though somehow I still have my doubts.

*rings a funeral bell*

The internet is deaaaaad. The internet is deeaaaaaad...

Agayek:
Bother that nonsense. If the FCC did their job, there wouldn't be any problems to exacerbate.

Wheeler needs to nut the fuck up, admit he's in Comcast's pocket, and resign his fucking post. Then we need an appointee to take his place who hasn't been a 40-year lobbyist for the industry he's supposed to regulate. We might actually get an FCC that does its fucking job at that point, though somehow I still have my doubts.

You just said EXACTLY what I wanted to say in the exact words I wanted to say.

-_- But that's not going to happen, because of the Revolving-Door-Syndrome that North America has.

Yeah, its about time to burn this whole mess to the ground, starting with the FCC, those fucking useless pricks.

Why don't they grow a pair of balls and actually do their fucking job for once? Oh right, they are filled with corporate rats and sellouts, the whole damn system seems to be suffering from the same symptoms.

Seriously, isn't it about time to just take a baseball bat and some Molotov cocktails and just reorganize the entire system. You know, just a little bit of house cleaning.

I'm so tired of this bullshit.

Well that tears it. Up Hockey Sticks! Roust Canoes! The time has come for Canada to do it's duty to the world and pull America's chocke-chain until she's blue in the face.

Round 2!

"This misses the point. The proposed rule is built to ensure that everyone has access to an Internet that is sufficiently robust to enable consumers to access the content, services and applications they demand, as well as an Internet that offers innovators and edge providers the ability to offer new products and services."

The problem, among others, is that an Internet where big companies can pay so that Internet subscribers have faster access to their sites and services is rather blatantly not an Internet that "offers innovators and edge providers the ability to offer new products and services"; quite the contrary, it's an Internet that offers larger companies a much easier means to crush and/or acquire innovative companies, ideas and competitors that don't share their deep pockets. It's like 90s Microsoft all over again.

It's all well and good to say that preferred access to affiliates or degrading speed to force upgrades won't be kosher, but who's writing those rules- and more to the point, who is monitoring and enforcing them? The FCC has done nothing in the past several months to convince me we're not heading for lip-service to the underlying principles while they shuffle loophole-ridden rules into place. Rules that will have little or no overwatch, make it an uphill battle for consumers to report misconduct on the part of their providers, and give slap-on-the-wrist punishments that aren't remotely harmful enough to justify changing rule-breaking behavior, when someone bulls their way through to forcing an agency uninterested in enforcement to actually file the paperwork.

The standards Internet users want aren't vague; they're stark, clear, and unequivocal, and they need rules and enforcement that matches that standard.

How about the option to get someone running the FCC who's looking out for American citizens rather than the corporations they've got a long history of lobbying for?

Unless the FCC is willing to label ISP's common carriers there isn't anything that can be done that the courts wont undo. Unless that's actually on the table this is only going to get worse.

Ugh, man. Blatant corruption is a heck of a thing. Something needs to be done so that the future of the internet is in good hands.

Wheeler is a whole lot of talk, but his words are empty. ISPs will degrade low tier service until they are actually caught doing it.

This guy is out of his mind. There's no way what he is proposing is going to be to the benefit of the consumer.

Colt47:
This guy is out of his mind. There's no way what he is proposing is going to be to the benefit of the consumer.

No, he's not out of his mind, he's doing exactly what he was put into the position to do...further strengthen the position of corporations. He's completely sane, he just has no concern for the consumer.

Uratoh:

Colt47:

No, he's not out of his mind, he's doing exactly what he was put into the position to do...further strengthen the position of corporations. He's completely sane, he just has no concern for the consumer.

Good point... So how is internet access in Canada these days?

Hmm, Canada is looking more and more attractive. I've caught myself thinking about moving there more than a few times this year. Maybe after college I'll just go and do it. How are the beaches there?

As a Canadian, I would be willing to volunteer for the enlistment to take America for the Leaf. I'm confident we'd succeed, if only because we'd gather support as we went, and I can't imagine a lot of countries who wouldn't be sending us some support of some kind (mostly gift baskets, I suppose).

Even if it's unsuccessful, I want Alaska.

The map looks wrong without it. Give it to us. I know there's... characters in that land. I'll handle them.

Alaska.

"It's the plain situation! There's no negotiation! With the fellas at the freakin' FCC!"

(Come on, people, sing along... You know the words...)

Queen Michael:
"It's the plain situation! There's no negotiation! With the fellas at the freakin' FCC!"

(Come on, people, sing along... You know the words...)

So they sent you a letter saying they're prepared to do their worst.
And they stuffed it in your mailbox, hoping you could be coerced.
I can think of quite another place they should have stuffed it first!

They might be neurotic!
Or possibly psychotic!
It's the fellas at the frickin' FCC!

seeing as they're probably going to rely on information from the very corporations that they are trying to regulate on what to set their standards on (assuming that they're not just trying to sell us out as discreetly as possible), any semblance of being fair is worse than an offbrand tissue as far as even pretending to do so

there's pretty much no way they're going to be able to actually stop them from exploiting a system designed to promote exploitation as much as possible, even if they were trying to, if the stuff that's happened so far is an indication of their projected performance, if not actually a purposeful action to set up the deals they're currently proposing

What the fuck is this shit? If you want everyone to have access to the internet, then why are you letting companies charge extra for a a good confection to individual sites?!? Consumers will only be hurt by this. Not to mention areas with little to no competition. People living there will probably get fucked over the most.

I'm just getting confused here. First we get a "We'll protect Net Neutrality" to a "naw, we're just fuckin with ya, we'll allow ISP's to make fast lanes." Now its back to "Well, we'll protect Net Neutrality" stance? I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for ISP's having to pump out more bandwidth for more use. Cry a fucking river. ISP's are incredibly profitable and powerful. YouTube and Netflix aren't causing these guys to have to close up shop.

People need to get angry about this kind of stuff. As soon as you start carving up the internet, you open it to a whole realm of gatekeeping that doesn't exist today. Instead of the "good ideas float, bad ideas fall" concept, we have a "whoever throws money at me wins" scenario. And I wouldn't imagine that Comcast has to play nice with competition. Not to mention the whole monitoring the net kind of thing - not only does this effectively open up compromises on a system, but it allows Comcast to essentially bone websites that offer dissenting opinions.

I wish the people pissed about PIPA and SOPA would get angry again, call/write their congress people, and get this taken care of.

"No were serious, we are willing to suck anyone's cock for the right price."
-FCC

Dude is shameless. I can't take a word he says seriously while all that Comcast money has dragged his trousers to the floor.

It shouldnt be all options. no, in fact only options benefiting consumer and consumer alone should be on the table.

Colt47:

Uratoh:

Colt47:

Good point... So how is internet access in Canada these days?

come to europe. 100/100mbps here for 40 LTL (adjustign for purchasing power would be equal 40 dollars).

Capcha: describe microsoft brand with any words
my response: offensive advertisement

Strazdas:
(Snip).

HOW many MBPS, Willis?! I've heard of 50, max!

Europe looks better and better every day...

Barbas:

Strazdas:
(Snip).

HOW many MBPS, Willis?! I've heard of 50, max!

Europe looks better and better every day...

we have 3 plans here.
50/50 for 30 LTL
100/100 for 40 LTL (what i use currently)
300/300 for 60 LTL
Our minimum wage is 1000 LTL pre-tax.

Now, mind you, not all europe is like that, but most of Lithuania is. We have plenty of problems here, but internet is not one of them. Oh and did i mention there werent bandwidth caps on those since 2008?

its Mbps not MBps though, when it comes to MBps (what most download managers show) divide by 8. Still, i consider it way more than enough for me now and it even goes above that sometimes anyway.

Hey, look at that. You dubiously approve tiered internet speeds and now are saddled with the terrible burden of fucking around looking like you're trying to make it as fair as it can (unfairly) be. Poor you.

Meanwhile in Australia, we are struggling to implement even a shitty half-baked measure that other countries laugh at. Just since we were all sharing our internet accesses.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. That blowhard has absolutely no intention of fighting for net neutrality. He's going to make a lot of noise about it, so that we don't do it ourselves, but he will actually accomplish nothing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here