Epic Games Teases Unreal Tournament Announcement

Epic Games Teases Unreal Tournament Announcement

Unreal Tournament 1999 310x

Epic VP Mark Rein teases Unreal Tourney announcement. Could a free-to-play UT title be incoming?

According to Mark Rein's Twitter account, Epic Games is going to announce something related to Unreal Tournament next week.

The tweet, posted a few hours ago, promises a comeback for the franchise, which has been dormant since the release of Unreal Tournament 3 in 2007.

"I love #UnrealTournament - So excited for the comeback! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unreal+tournament+multikill+sound ... More next week! pic.twitter.com/w4AvpiUkox"

Rein then pointed to Paul Meegan's Twitter account, where the Epic VP of Product Development teased a Twitch stream. The stream is called "UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament," and it's happening on Thursday, May 8th at 2PM EST.

UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament. Tune in to http://www.Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET. #unrealdev #FirstBlood

Talk of a free-to-play Unreal Tournament game has been swirling for months, even years. If not a rumor, it's been requested in more NeoGAF threads than you can shake a stick at. Will Epic finally announce a competitor for the established Quake Live? One can only hope...

We'll keep an ear to the ground for more UT news in the coming days.

Any UT news is awesome in my book. Just hope if it does go F2P, they keep the moddability of the game.

#godlike

Please don't suck. Don't release it on consoles, please.

james.sponge:
Don't release it on consoles, please.

It will probably happen. Keep wishing and they may grant your wish, but consoles have been doing well so far and i doubt they'll ignore that potential money pile.
Who knows really~

Free to play Unreal Tournament, because seven years after Unreal Tournament killed the series, we decided to dig up the corpse and take a nice big dump on it.

Of course, if it's really a UT4 or UT2014 then fantastic, but I smell F2P nonsense and paying $1 a round for your shield belts and amplifiers.

A re-release of 2K4 or even the original for a few dollars would be way better.

If they do UT/UT2k4 as a HD re-release in the UE4, I will pay ALL the money to play it. All of the money, you hear me!

Preferably UT2k4 though... no wait, UT1. Actually, 2K4...

schrodinger:
It will probably happen. Keep wishing and they may grant your wish, but consoles have been doing well so far and i doubt they'll ignore that potential money pile.
Who knows really~

It's an interesting one, UT3 didn't so much fail on the consoles as spontaneously conflagrate Hindenberg style. Given that it shared a release window with Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 that doesn't seem so surprising now, but it must have been a bit of a shock to see under a hundred thousand copies go on release week.

After that, I'm expecting something smaller scale and probably not multi platform.

What kind of F2P business model, besides cosmetic, could you have for a UT game that wouldn't essentially ruin the entire point of an arena shooter?

Unreal Tournament is one of my favourite game series in the world so I'm really hoping it will be good.

Call me weird. But when it came to the UT series, I loved the tournament. No matter how cheezy it was. I liked the fact that you ranked the way up, and the team management bits in UT2K4 was cool, as was the lore behind all of the characters and places in UT99.

I fucking HATED UT3 though. Talk about a studio typecast. The GOW studio took a hefty dump on it, and I couldn't understand the design of some of the maps. I hated Fractal, that vicious 1v1. But Kargo? Take that chintzy big bad alien story and shove it straight up your ass.

I liked that battle-skirt though. And although it was pretty ugly in 3, my favorite weapon in the series remained untouched. I'm a weird one. Rank that Flak Cannon above the redeemer.

fix-the-spade:

schrodinger:
Who knows really~

It's an interesting one, UT3 didn't so much fail on the consoles as spontaneously conflagrate Hindenberg style. Given that it shared a release window with Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 that doesn't seem so surprising now, but it must have been a bit of a shock to see under a hundred thousand copies go on release week.

After that, I'm expecting something smaller scale and probably not multi platform.

that and the fact that they made the same mistakes with ut3 that they made with 2k3 didnt help. as for it failing on the consoles even on the pc the game was pretty much dead before it came out. i remember the demo that launched a few weeks earlier had barely anyone on it.

schrodinger:

james.sponge:
Don't release it on consoles, please.

Who knows really~

well epics fortnight isnt releasing on consoles, only on the pc, so its definitely possible. that and the fact that arena shooters dont typically do well on consoles might make that a definite possibility. honestly i couldnt care less but at the very least they need to develop the pc version separately, ut3 just moved way too slow for an arena shooter.

Weaver:
What kind of F2P business model, besides cosmetic, could you have for a UT game that wouldn't essentially ruin the entire point of an arena shooter?

I've actually been thinking about this, and the only other thing I could come up with would be dedicated server rental. Either you would have to pay to rent out servers from Epic, or you pay a monthly fee to use your own servers. Its not a spectacular solution, but it's better then other potential business models.

Keep in mind though, Epic hasn't said anything about the game being free-to-play yet, so don't get too worked up about it right now.

james.sponge:

Eh, a console version wouldn't be so bad if they changed the gameplay on the PC version to make it more like the first few UT games. No reason that they have to be identical.

OT: Yay! more Unreal Tournament. It's been too damn long, and as long as Epic doesn't screw it up somehow, I'm sure it'll be pretty damn fun.

Bvenged:
If they do UT/UT2k4 as a HD re-release in the UE4, I will pay ALL the money to play it. All of the money, you hear me!

Preferably UT2k4 though... no wait, UT1. Actually, 2K4...

Why not both? Have the original maps with the original weapons included in a 2K4 re-release? Everything updated for the new engine.

As for me, well I'm named after a UT character so I'm beyond excited, it's been the best multiplay FPS series in existence.

3 flak cannon salvos for the news! I'd love a new UT, especially one that isn't UT3. I wouldn't mind a F2P UT as long as they don't fuck up the monetization and keep it fair. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they just re-released UT2004 again, as a f2p title. It doesn't even need a HD tart-up, it still looks gorgeous.

Yes, YES, YES!

I absolutely adored Unreal Tournament as a kid. Its still definitely my favourite competitive multiplayer game(s) to date. I mean I suck at twitch shooters now, but that doesn't dampen my expectations for this.

james.sponge:

I'll settle for it not sucking.

..if only I was in my early twenties again, so I'd actually have a chance of competing. Oh reflexes, how I miss you.

Nostalgia aside, I hope I can round up a few friends for some "friendly" matches.

Whatever the differences I've played and enjoyed every UT. More UT is good thing and I can't wait to see what's coming...

Whelp, bye, bye. I have never played a F2P that did not sour an established IP that I loved and I cannot see that changing nor willing to chance it again.

CAPTCHA: What is for dinner - A paid full course meal.

Saulkar:
Whelp, bye, bye. I have never played a F2P that did not sour an established IP that I loved and I cannot see that changing nor willing to chance it again.

CAPTCHA: What is for dinner - A paid full course meal.

To be fair, I don't think there's been any confirmation that this will be free to play. In fact, I don't think I've actually seen a solid source indicating anything of the sort. I think most of the free to play talk comes from some stuff people from Epic were saying a while back about free to play being the future or something, but that was long enough ago that it doesn't really mean anything. We should all wait until Thursday before running around screaming about the sky falling down.

On-Topic: I'm excited. I never played a ton of Unreal Tournament, but what I have played has been really fun, and I can't wait to see what they're going to do with this one. I just hope it will end up better than UT3.

I believe that only one thing needs to be said in response to this news article. While an hd remake of the original would thrill me beyond words, I think I can safely say, in unambiguous terms and with the full backing of all gamers worldwide: MMMMMMMMMISSTER CRRROWWW.

Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has already raised this salient point.

ohnoitsabear:
We should all wait until Thursday before running around screaming about the sky falling down.

Good plan. I have my fingers crossed that we will get a complete package out of the gate.

Announcement #1 should be "we're sorry"
Announcement #2 should be "the art department is also sorry" (we're talking the UT3 situation)

Then we can talk

Free to play. Epic continues to make my favorite franchise and ruin it as much as they can.

Epic, no one wants a new UT game, because UT99 and UT2004 are already the best. Just release a HD mod and extra maps for those games instead. You will make people a lot happier.

thatonedude11:

Weaver:

james.sponge:

Eh, a console version wouldn't be so bad if they changed the gameplay on the PC version to make it more like the first few UT games. No reason that they have to be identical.

OT: Yay! more Unreal Tournament. It's been too damn long, and as long as Epic doesn't screw it up somehow, I'm sure it'll be pretty damn fun.

Yes that's true, I hope they do that otherwise they will be alienating their playerbase... again.

schrodinger:
[quote="james.sponge" post="7.848938.20959655"]Don't release it on consoles, please.

Who knows really~

Well technically if they released it as PC exclusive with F2P model similar to that of TF2 they will be looking at a long term investment that will be bringing them profits for years to come.

Console version definitely has the capacity to generate more profits at least right after the release but how long will the game live after that? People still play UT 2k4, they even play old UT 99, how many play UT3? :)

Aww darn... why does everything have to bee F2P now?? I'm scared, really scared.

I want a new Unreal videogame... but not a F2P one. Make it a normal game that you buy and play, please? :(

james.sponge:

Egotist.

Zira:
Aww darn... why does everything have to bee F2P now?? I'm scared, really scared.

I want a new Unreal videogame... but not a F2P one. Make it a normal game that you buy and play, please? :(

james.sponge:

Egotist.

I'm with you. Unreal Tournament owes a significant amount of it's appeal to the massive array of user generated content such as weapons, maps, mutators, and even whole new game types and mods. An always online, F2P model loses a lot in the way of this content.

Well F2P would be one solution to it, but not the best one because this series comes out of the box set up for all custom matches, mods, maps,...

Of course the bigger issue is does Epic have anyone on staff that has any idea what made UT2004 great? Because that was a decade ago and since then they did nothing even remotely on par.

There's a group that has been working on 'OpenTournament' since the release of UE4.

No confidence whatsoever in Epic UNLESS it's just the source code to previous installments of UT/core modules etc.

Mr.K.:
Well F2P would be one solution to it, but not the best one because this series comes out of the box set up for all custom matches, mods, maps,...

Of course the bigger issue is does Epic have anyone on staff that has any idea what made UT2004 great? Because that was a decade ago and since then they did nothing even remotely on par.

All of the UT games, except UT3, were made in conjunction with Digital Extremes :)

Mr.K.:

There's a really easy test for this. You see, the ones that have no idea why the game was popular also changed a lot of the art direction and internal lore. So... here's the test:

Look at what they describe as a Hellion. If it is some sort of demon clown wearing or likely to wear a top hat, it will be good. If it's a Gears of War leftover put in there for pure laziness, it'll be bad.

Also, the old standby, the assault test, is still valid. Did they take out assault? If so, don't buy it.

(double post)

I doubt any new Unreal Tournament will be as good as the ones we remember circa 2004 or 1999 (or like UT 2k4 or the original UT). This is largely because of how the changes to the engine effect the aesthetics as much as the choice of art direction. Also, the media mix that inspires young developers and modders has changed significantly since the 2000s. Just look at the difference between these two movie lists.

From 1990 to 2000 we had movies like Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Independence Day, From Dusk Till Dawn, Pitch Black, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Fifth Element, The Green Mile, The Matrix, Golden Eye and other Bond flicks...

From 2001-2009 we've had movies like Spiderman, 300, Inglorious Bastards, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Sin City, The Dark Knight, Avatar, Watchman, Iron Man, the Prestige, Twilight(NOTE: (screams incoherently into the sunset)), zombie land, and the new generation of James Bond movies as well as Jason Borne...

Is it any surprise that we see more gears of war and cartoon cell shading exaggeration in our video games now as compared to the gothic/sci-fi aesthetics of UT?

There's other aspects that made UT3 not as successful as UT2k4, but the subtle change in aesthetics and background lore probably didn't help endear it to any fans of the original two Unreal Tournaments, which got inspiration from a different generation of media.

Pointless unless you can mod it for free.........

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here