Eddie Murphy Returns to Beverly Hills Cop Series

Eddie Murphy Returns to Beverly Hills Cop Series

cop

Comedy icon will revive his starmaking action franchise

Another day, another comedy nostalgia property lurches back to life. It was only a few weeks ago that Robin Williams boarded Mrs. Doubtfire 2, a sequel to a popular comedy he'd made in 1993, and now Eddie Murphy is getting in on the action by signing on to the long-gestating third sequel to Beverly Hills Cop, the 1984 action-comedy classic widely viewed as the film that launched him as one of the biggest box-office stars of the era.

Brett Ratner (Rush Hour, X-Men: The Last Stand) will direct from a screenplay by Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec, who were also the writers most-recently credited on Michael Bay's TMNT reboot. While it will be the fourth film in the franchise, the plan thus far is apparently to title it simply Beverly Hills Cop with no additional number or subtitle, which should make things nice and confusing for search-engines.

The original 1984 film was a fish-out-of-water comedy wherein Murphy's streetwise Detroit detective Axel Foley chases a criminal to Beverly Hills, California; where his methods and attitude clash with the wealthy, pampered residents and a police force inexperienced in with either serious crimes or serious crime-fighters. A 1987 sequel shocked some critics with ramped-up levels of violence, while a third installment in dialed things back to a PG13 (with Foley investigating a conspiracy in a Disney World-style theme park) in 1994 when Murphy had become better known for family comedies.

Last year, CBS commissioned but ultimately rejected the pilot for TV series spin-off that would've followed the exploits of Foley's son Axel Junior, with Murphy appearing in cameos. It is not known whether this new film will incorporate any elements of that storyline.

Source: Deadline

This means that Eddie will act like Eddie instead of whatever the hell was happening in After Earth?
10/10, 5 stars, best movie ever.

Oh my god no! The 80s came back to life and its invading! Quickly, put on leg warmers and maybe the ghost of Ronald Reagan will leave us alone.

When a franchise gets to a certain age, there is just no reasonable way you can bring it back. At some point, you need to let a franchise go. A lot like star wars.

I bet they will get murphy again, I guess this will be the new trend.

ihavetwo:
This means that Eddie will act like Eddie instead of whatever the hell was happening in After Earth?

he didn't do After Earth... that was Will Smith...

If this was an actual blast to the past I'd be ecstatic, but I have no doubt that it'll be something like the newer Die Hard movies with over the top action scenes, a few more one-liners and some insane plot that has you facepalming through the movie.

I might actually go to the cinema for this one, without reading reviews or anything. Not that I have much hope of it being good, but just to drop all the negative expectations and go enjoy a flick. ...nah.

Keiichi Morisato:

ihavetwo:

Nah man, it was Samuel L. Snipes. Oh who knows, they all look alike.

Geez, alright, alright, I'm sorry. Lighten up man.

Keiichi Morisato:

ihavetwo:

Well shit.
I am just going to go kill my self now.
*Lights self on fire then throws self down the grand canyon*

Ratner to direct? I thought he'd alienated all of Hollywood by now.

Thank god! but please don't make this a kids movie, i will not pay to go see that...

could be either really good or really bad. to me, the original once are already good enough. still love the music and i hope they will use the same tune as well. thats iconic for the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4kWpi2HnPU

But he isn't funny anymore...

Well it could be worse, they could reboot the franchise as a new trilogy.

Begins reading: "Holy shit this is awesome! Beverly Hills Cop was awesome! Yes even the third one!"

Sees Brett Ratner: "Fuck."

didn't like the third, probably won't watch the 4th.
But first 2 Beverly Hills cops were awesome.

ihavetwo:

Keiichi Morisato:

ihavetwo:

Well shit.
I am just going to go kill my self now.
*Lights self on fire then throws self down the grand canyon*

YOU'RE THE BURNT MAN!?!?!?!

OT: God no... Eddie, you made a couple of good films in the eighties, maybe one in the nineties, and everything you've done since has sucked. Just go and retire somewhere... please :)

(Oh and take Adam Sandler with you, I may have "accidentally put a price on his head)

I started to ask myself "whyyyy??" The answer arrived almost instantly "because cocaine is expensive" .

I premoniscicise a terrible disaster will descend upon us. We must do all we can to survive the atrocities that approach us on the horizon.
May god help us all.

This gonna be gud. *sigh*

I remember hearing once that Murphy's career is like a roller coaster; during the early 80s he was AWESOME, coming off a great stint on SNL, funny as hell standup (though Raw is a misogynistic piece of shit), and comedy classics like Coming to America, Trading Places, and Beverly Hills Cop. Then he went downhill in the late 80s, early 90s before making a comeback in the mid-90s to early 2000s before going back down again. And this time he MIGHT not be coming back. Especially not with trying Beverly Hills Cop again with godawful hacks like the ones mentioned above.

Err honestly I don't think it will work, I mean what I liked about the Beverly Hill Cop film series was the 80's feel to it (light hearted and comedy).

Just like Mrs. Doubtfire, this seems like it's 15 years too late. Can't they just put Eddie Murphy in a movie that doesn't rely on nostalgia, fat suit tech, little alien Eddie Murphys piloting a big Eddie Murphy, or a modest comedy heist movie with him in a supporting role that was overhyped. Probably not, now that I think about it.

At this rate, just get James Earl Jones in lion fur and Arsenio Hall on board and make Coming to America 2: Saving McDowwel's.

If it's good, good. If it's bad, oh well. At least Eddie's doing something besides playing a CGI donkey.

marurder:
But he isn't funny anymore...

I think that's the "thing." He's not "funny," he's desperate. An revitalizing a property with brand recognition is probably the only way he will get work in Hollywood these days. Producers are banking on their being enough people that liked the original that will go see this. Of course, it will likely be PG-13. Cuz you know..."Rated-R" doesn't sell. I'm also wondering what changes will be made to appeal to the Asian markets.

Hairless Mammoth:
Just like Mrs. Doubtfire, this seems like it's 15 years too late. Can't they just put Eddie Murphy in a movie that doesn't rely on nostalgia, fat suit tech, little alien Eddie Murphys piloting a big Eddie Murphy, or a modest comedy heist movie with him in a supporting role that was overhyped. Probably not, now that I think about it.

At this rate, just get James Earl Jones in lion fur and Arsenio Hall on board and make Coming to America 2: Saving McDowwel's.

I was thinking it would either be "Coming to America 2: Coming back to Africa," or "The Golden Child 2: The Golden Goose."

tdylan:

Hairless Mammoth:

I was thinking it would either be "Coming to America 2: Coming back to Africa," or "The Golden Child 2: The Golden Goose."

Stop!!! You are giving them more ideas dammit.

OT: Eddie is way too old to carry this character it would actually be better to try a reboot with someone else.

Back in the 80's Eddy Murphy was charming and witty. Now he occasionally gets an embarrassed (pity) chuckle when he puts on a fat suit and farts.

Back in the 80's and into the 90's Beverly Hills was the status symbol. Films like Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills Cop, Pretty Woman, even Clueless typified the zeitgeist by showing Beverly Hills as an idealized locale for the financially successful. Today, it's where one of the seasons of Real Housewives was set.

At least Murphy and Rattner's careers cannot really sink any lower at this point.

You know what? I'll probably watch this one. In fact, I genuinely believe that it might be good.

With that said, here's the best scene from the old movies (that kid's laugh gets me every time).

It would be nice if they made a third beverly hills cop movie, yes. (The one that carries that title now has some characters with the same names but is definitely not a beverly hill's cop movie..)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here