Japan Says America's Godzilla is Too Fat

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Japan Says America's Godzilla is Too Fat

"He's so fat, I laughed." --Japanese commenter

Warner Bros is hoping that director Gareth Edwards' big-budget update of Godzilla will loom large over the box-office in two weeks, but in the opinion of fans in the venerable kaiju's native country he may be looming a little too large. While early trailers kept the titular monster mostly out of sight, the new Godzilla is all over the new TV spots, and the verdict from some Japanese fans? He needs to go on a diet.

While only the radically-redesigned creature "Zilla" from Roland Emmerich unsuccessful 1998 attempt at a reboot could be called "skinny," this new Godzilla is unquestionably the heftiest looking; with a thick neck almost twice as wide at the base as his head and smaller forward-set arms that constrast starkly with the more human-like (relative) proportions and upper-body structure familiar from the original Japanese features. At least one fan has already nicknamed the Americanized version "Godzilla Deluxe," a reference to an overweight Japanese TV star.

It should be noted that the Japanese Godzilla has traditionally been portrayed using suits designed to incorporate the proportions of an actor inside, while Edwards' creature was realized through CGI. The film, which stars Brian Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen and Ken Watanabe, opens in the U.S. May 16th.

Source: AFP

Still better than their guy in a rubber suit, that looks still fake as hell...

Weird thing for them to say unless they only know the american on from 1998.

Ohhh yeah! Look at that thin, sexy hunk of scales!

1nfinite_Cros5:
Ohhh yeah! Look at that thin, sexy hunk of scales!

This is what I had in mind but the '90s Godzilla was even worse.

He's got to lay off that American diet...

It's probably from all that fish.

OT: Honestly he looks no fatter than the earlier ones. Just, you know, taller.

Hell, the earlier incarnation I think look a lot flabbier. This one at least looks like he bulked up a bit. He looks perfectly healthy.

You seriously just made a fat comment from the internets into news?
Well I guess you will have plenty of material from here on out, pretty sure I saw someone somewhere comment on someone else being gay possibly even Jewish... best get on that before anyone else snatches the headline story.

I say it better to have some fat on than to have no fat at all like Zilla althought Zilla kinda look like a T Rex (body structure wise).

Still depending on the reception on the film itself, it make me wonder how the original will bashed the US remake like they did with Zilla?

They also say he doesn't have enough tentacles and there needs to be more school girls in the movie.

As a longtime Godzilla fan, the new design isn't ideal but it's a lot better than I would have expected. Of course his thicker neck etc. plays into stereotypes about fat Americans, so I guess we should have seen the joke coming.

josemlopes:
Weird thing for them to say unless they only know the american on from 1998.

Oh not only do they know about him, they made him die like a punk in the last "traditional" Godzilla movie Final Wars. Which I just noticed someone posted the clip from above, huh. Well gotta love the line right after he dies. "I knew that tuna eating monster was useless."

That's a lotta fish!

Why is there an article about 2ch and YouTube comments?

Bindal:

I'm pretty sure realism isn't what they had in mind when they were making Gojira.

"Japan says America's Godzilla is too fat". Man, say what you like about the Japanese, but they sure are organised. I mean, they ALL got together and declared that Godzilla is too fat, it was so heartening.

Ukomba:
They also say he doesn't have enough tentacles and there needs to be more school girls in the movie.

I take it you don't watch much Godzilla?

What? It's not fat it's just massive. Japanese Godzilla was actually fat.

The home of a sport about two fat guys trying to shove each other out of a circle is calling Godzilla fat? Oh Japan, you're so silly.

ShakerSilver:

Bindal:

I'm pretty sure realism isn't what they had in mind when they were making Gojira.

Doesn't make it less laughable, especially nowerdays...

how dare they! fat shaming is just horrible... poor zilla.

Next on the news - 12 year old claims to have "haxxorred" my mom's ass last night.

I've always thought Godzilla looked big in the hips, I assumed this American version was just trying to stay true to the original since apparently trying to change something for the better is heresy. Personally I'd rather they stick with the 1998 Godzilla design which I think actually looked pretty nice, but since that movie is apparently a dark mark on this otherwise immaculate series we have to distance ourselves from it as much as possible.

razer17:
"Japan says America's Godzilla is too fat". Man, say what you like about the Japanese, but they sure are organised. I mean, they ALL got together and declared that Godzilla is too fat, it was so heartening.

No, you don't understand, it wasn't the Japanese that said it, it was Japan itself. The island rose up from the sea to reveal it's thought on the trailer. Personally I just think Japan's angry at Godzilla for all the stomping around he's been doing.

Has anyone bothered to consider that the creature design might have been based on a more realistic depiction of the physicality of mass/scale?

Leave him alone, OK, Japan ?! He's got big bones, that's all.

ShakerSilver:

Ukomba:

I take it you don't watch much Godzilla?

Been a fan for 25 years.

s_h_a_d_o:
Has anyone bothered to consider that the creature design might have been based on a more realistic depiction of the physicality of mass/scale?

No, because in a realistic depiction of Godzilla he would be unable to walk or even stand upright under his own weight. Let's face it, there's nothing about Godzilla that has ever been remotely realistic.

Americans are too fat in general. Even our monsters could stand to lose a few tons.

Olas:

s_h_a_d_o:

No, because in a realistic depiction of Godzilla he would be unable to walk or even stand upright under his own weight. Let's face it, there's nothing about Godzilla that has ever been remotely realistic.

I did say more realistic.
:|

As far as I'm concerned, that's like saying that Japanese Godzilla "is too nuclear-based".

National interpretations of monsters reflect what the nation fears. America fears an obesity epidemic. Soooo...

-Ezio-:

>fat-shaming

I'm pretty sure that they just don't like changes to their "own" monster. Remember what gamers thought of live-action koopas?

I'd like a slightly slenderer, more agile looking monster too.
Perhaps he can fight Mega Slenderman for contrast in his current incarnation, though?

lacktheknack:

-Ezio-:

>fat-shaming

I'm pretty sure that they just don't like changes to their "own" monster. Remember what gamers thought of live-action koopas?

you get i was kidding right?

and anyway. i think the koopas were the least objectional part of that movie.

-Ezio-:

lacktheknack:

-Ezio-:

>fat-shaming

you get i was kidding right?

and anyway. i think the koopas were the least objectional part of that movie.

I wasn't sure. :P

And yeah, they were, but to speak of the rest of the movie gives me great pain.

he should eat less american food, by that i mean eating less americans AS food

Well, people write what they know, so an American Godzilla being fat makes sense.

I'm an American, don't kill me.

This just in! Someone posted a nasty, angry, racist, sexist, and/or otherwise mean-spirited comment on a youtube video!

Are we really turning to youtube comments as news-worthy happenings?

Holy shit what's happened to us?! What have we become?!

We're "bigger" monsters than this newest Godzilla.

'98 film was average. Still better than anything Japan produced. And it looked more animalistic than a dude in a shitty suit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here