Norwegian Army Tests Use of Oculus Rift with Tanks

Norwegian Army Tests Use of Oculus Rift with Tanks

Oculus rift in tanks

The Norwegian army plans to use the Oculus Rift to give tank drivers an unobstructed view of their surroundings.

The Norwegian Armed Forces are testing the Oculus Rift in conjunction with armored tanks. Drivers are able to effectively see through the body of a tank thanks to mounted cameras on the tank and wearing the Oculus Rift.

Inside a tank with the hatch closed, tank drivers have a difficult time navigating. With cameras mounted on the sides of a tank and the use of the Oculus Rift, drivers can get a 360-degree video feed of the surroundings to essentially see through the tank's armored body. Software wraps the spherical views from the cameras back to a normal view. Drivers with the Oculus Rift are able to see 185 degrees from each side of the vehicle and can look straight down in front of the vehicle.

Software engineer Daniel Ervik of Making View even compared using the Oculus Rift to playing Battlfield: "Those who play Battlefield can see much better than you do in an actual vehicle," he said. "With our software you can add elements we are used to from games."

Eye strain makes driving with the Oculus Rift too difficult for regular use and travel over long distances, but it could be used in combat scenarios when the hatch to the tank must be kept shut. When not in dangerous situations, drivers prefer to keep the hatch open.

The Norwegian TV station TuTV released a video of the Oculus Rift in use by the Norwegian Armed Forces in a non-combat situation.

Source: TuTV via The Verge

Kind of like the panoramic observation system promised in the Polish PL01 concept?

"When not in dangerous situations, drivers prefer to keep the hatch open."
Sadly with all the IED's that distinction is quite hard/impossible to make anymore.
US transports/convoys drove with all doors and windows closed in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan 100% of the time, even when they had to wait 3-6 weeks to get parts for their broken down AC's...

RA92:
Kind of like the panoramic observation system promised in the Polish PL01 concept?

That's one sweet video! I like the looks, and really LOLed at the Inception music for the trailer ;)
Do wonder how smart it is to advertise where the sensors are. You'd at least want to wait to get those secrets into enemy hands until AFTER the prototype gets scanned by James Bond...

They better make sure they don't pick fights with anyone on their Facebook friends list or that 'near me' tracker could turn out disastrous.

"Just in tank killing noobs lolz"
Joseph Stalin and 8 others like this

Sounds like a good way to keep situasional awareness while using the RWS or Commanders periscope.

Hero in a half shell:
They better make sure they don't pick fights with anyone on their Facebook friends list or that 'near me' tracker could turn out disastrous.

Except the devkit has nothing to do with and was manufactured before the aquisition by Facebook. It's a piece of display hardware with an Open Source SDK. There is simply no way this would ever be an issue. (I get it was supposed to be a joke, I'm just tired of seeing people assume the OR is going to have facebook in your face)

OT: Looks interesting, I like how they also compare the price of the Oculus at 350$, to military grade hardware priced at 35 000€. Although the final product may or may not feature the Oculus, it makes a lot more sense to prototype this kind of project with off-the-shelf hardware instead of wasting hundreds of thousands on something that might end up being shelved anyway.

I thought most modern tanks had plenty of screens to give the driver and commander all the situational awareness they need. This might help cut down on the clutter in future tanks, though. It also might help with driving over rough terrain in combat since the screens would stay still relative to the driver's eyes, instead of bouncing all around.

"amazing! its like im actually in a real war!... wait"

Hero in a half shell:

"time to unfriend some terrorists, permanently!"

NLS:
Except the devkit has nothing to do with and was manufactured before the aquisition by Facebook. It's a piece of display hardware with an Open Source SDK. There is simply no way this would ever be an issue. (I get it was supposed to be a joke, I'm just tired of seeing people assume the OR is going to have facebook in your face)

I know you acknowledged it, but that only puts you deeper into the narrative of being friends with Stalin on Facebook. Now we know where the commies went: to ISSR. Tell Lenin... we'll keep in touch.

OT:
Neato, although I do wonder how awkward it may get based on traversal and terrain, where certain visuals may not match the motions in your own body. Maybe I'm crazy though.

NuclearKangaroo:

Hero in a half shell:

"time to unfriend some terrorists, permanently!"

Legit couldn't stop laughing, so good.

Come to think of it, even in Battlefield it's pretty hard to notice explosives in the road. Here's hoping they also develop a spotting mechanic for IEDs, or hire tank drivers with better eyesight than mine.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Come to think of it, even in Battlefield it's pretty hard to notice explosives in the road. Here's hoping they also develop a spotting mechanic for IEDs, or hire tank drivers with better eyesight than mine.

They already do, as well as jammers to stop remote detonation, problem is the enemy learns and adapts. We have a good old arms/technology race going on in Afghanistan.

nice, one of the worst downsides of driving a tank is that you have a very limited view of the area when in combat situation and you often evne have to rely on others to do the looknig for you. if you could see outside the tank 360 with possiblity to even have the machine highlight targets and possible traps such as mines that would be.... amazing breakthrough.

Woo! Using crowd funded technology to make killing people easier means you even more directly contributed to the death of people than you do with taxes.

yaaaayyy!

Let's be serious though: When was the last time the norwegian army had to use any of their heavier war machines? We sent some planes to that one place that one time. I don't remember any talk of the army ever using their tanks outside training sessions.

I suppose it could always inspire someone else.

Armoured tanks as opposed to unarmoured tanks?

I kid. Although drivers don't actually navigate, that is the job of the commander. Having said that, all the driver and commander have are periscopes to see where they are and where they are going.

This could prove useful.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here