National Park Service: Drones are not Allowed in Yosemite

National Park Service: Drones are not Allowed in Yosemite

Quadcopter Drone UAV 310x

NPS says drones scare wildlife, ruin nature for everyone not operating a drone.

In case some of you more adventurous aerial drone operators needed a reminder, the National Park Service has pointed out that drone operation at Yosemite National Park is prohibited.

In a post to the Yosemite Park News site, the NPS says the use of drones directly goes against federal regulations. "The use of drones within the park boundaries is illegal under all circumstances. Thirty Six [Code of Federal Regulations] 2.17(a)(3) states, 'delivering or retrieving a person or object by parachute, helicopter, or other airborne means, except in emergencies involving public safety or serious property loss, or pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit' is illegal. This applies to drones of all shapes and sizes."

The NPS goes on to say that drones "impact the natural soundscape," found in Yosemite, and the noise can impact the park for nature lovers, and animals alike. Among other fauna, Peregrine Falcons, who nest on cliffs, were specifically referenced (likely due to the number of climbers who use drones to capture their endeavors).

Not being a federal park expert, I can only guess this drone regulation applies to all NPS-controlled parks, unless specifically stated otherwise.

But nothing's to stop you from using your drone to capture some sweet parkour moves, right? Just do it in your local concrete jungle.

meanwhile, Predator drone pilots are like, 'Sorry, National Security takes priority.'

Next Week in the news:
"Terrorists ARE HIDING IN OUR NATIONAL PARKS! ONLY DRONES CAN FIND THEM!"
NSA: Haha what now!

Week later:
"Bears ate all the terrorists drones no longer needed"
NSA: Oh you slimy motherfu-

If I was part of a government conspiracy I would just have all the things I needed to get rid of eaten by bears.

tmande2nd:
Next Week in the news:
"Terrorists ARE HIDING IN OUR NATIONAL PARKS! ONLY DRONES CAN FIND THEM!"
NSA: Haha what now!

Week later:
"Bears ate all the terrorists drones no longer needed"
NSA: Oh you slimy motherfu-

If I was part of a government conspiracy I would just have all the things I needed to get rid of eaten by bears.

I laughed at this much harder than I should have.

More intriguing to me is the news that enough people have personal "drones" (to do things like filming them while rock-climbing) that this is actually something the park has to say outright.

Kieve:
More intriguing to me is the news that enough people have personal "drones" (to do things like filming them while rock-climbing) that this is actually something the park has to say outright.

Welcome to the brave new world :\

Devin Connors:
Not being a federal park expert, I can only guess this drone regulation applies to all NPS-controlled parks, unless specifically stated otherwise.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The bigger parks get more leeway than you might think. I know for a fact that after firearms were legalized to be carried on Federal park land the local office at Denali National Park (Mt. McKinley) vetoed Federal law and said you still could not carry. It was declared so on the official ".gov" website and remained in full effect until a group threatened to sue. It got pretty nasty there for a while, but now you can carry guns *so long as you don't go into any buildings or ride the shuttle bus that you are required to ride past a certain point :/. Yeah, they're still a little bitter about the whole thing. I would say look at the individual park's official site and call if it doesn't say anything one way or the other.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here