Warhammer 40k 7th Edition May Be Coming This Month

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warhammer 40k 7th Edition May Be Coming This Month

Rumors about the coming of a new edition are flying, and Games Workshop has teased something for later this month.

Rumors are flying fast and furious on Warhammer 40,000 fan sites after Games Workshop pulled Warhammer 40k Sixth Edition rulebooks from retailers late last month. That action was followed up by a variety of leaks from within the notoriously secretive publisher, many of seemingly contradictory information. What we all know - and what Games Workshop has now teased - is that something is coming on the 24th of May. It's almost definitely 7th Edition or something like it.

Currently, rumors say that the new core rulebook will be essentially Sixth Edition 40k with a handful of needed erratas and small updates. The changes will, supposedly be available free of charge as printable inserts for those who already own the Sixth Edition rulebook. The major updates possibly in the cards include the restriction of the controversial Allies system, the tweaking of the common psychic powers, formalization of the Escalation and Stronghold Assault missions, and tweaks to how saves work.

Wilder rumors flying include a Warhammer Fantasy style "Psychic Phase" separated from the rest of the game, a new Psychic Discipline, and a set of "Objective Cards" players draw from each turn. The wildest is that the force organization chart is completely out the window, allowing players to bring whatever they want to the field, and that it's getting replaced with a system that incentivizes balanced forces but doesn't require them. Those rumors in particular are backed up by purported leaks from the pages of White Dwarf itself.

Source: Bell of Lost Souls, 2

I remember back with 2nd edition, it had a dedicated Psychic Phase. Which was then merged with the Shooting Phase in an effort to streamline gameplay. The force organization chart being eliminated is the worst idea, it means the games will be won by whoever has the fattest wallet.

Hah, only 2 years since the 6th? Seems like they're grasping for straws.
To the contrary of my pre-poster i'm glad they finally got right of that idiotic FoC - it was one of the worst concepts. Biggest wallets always won in 40k, since you always had to buy the newest OP-toy when a new codex hit the shelf. But army sizes will still be limited by points probably so you still fight 1.5k, 2k or 2.5k army vs each other.

I'm slightly intrigued, but not very hopeful. Maybe they actually turned around and stopp'd printing huge pile of steaming shit for rules/codizes and started to return to the early 5th edition where it began to look like they suddenly knew what they were doing. Gonna check it out as soon as there's more in the rumor mill about the 7th.

GW, it's sink or swim now. I still hope you sink though.

Thats not much of a surprise. After the Chapterhouse incident they need to replace a number of models anyway.

Eh, I'm not too bothered really, I'm playing in a only really semi-competitive group and my armies are mostly scratch-built/third party minis so I'm not that into the whole "GRRR GW!" bandwagon. I just didn't buy what I didn't like.

*shrugs*

I'd like Blood Angels in the Starter Set though. Could do with some more Jump Packs.

008Zulu:
The force organization chart being eliminated is the worst idea, it means the games will be won by whoever has the fattest wallet.

Adeptus Aspartem:
i'm glad they finally got right of that idiotic FoC - it was one of the worst concepts

I have a good feeling about this thread!

Ninjamedic:

I have a good feeling about this thread!

Why? :D I'd never argue over 40k with someone. The topic is more or less over. Loved the game, they turned into a piece of shit and GW fucked up basically every single release since late 2010.

Now they can either turn around everything or finally die in fire so that someone can pick up the license from the ashes of their failure. I'm still hoping for Hasbro.

Don't care about the crunch, I just hope that this rather obvious act of desperation means that 40K might finally start moving towards an endgame, or at least pushing the timeline forward. Have the Imperium lose contact with Cadia, or have the Dark Angels arrive with their descendents and wage total war on a Legion scale against Abaddon.

Well, since I bought 5th ed and then they brought out 6th about 4 months later I've decided to not bother buying new editions. Now I just stick to Rogue Trader and nick the occasional rule from the newer ones (because fuck the following fire rules).

Reading that white dwarf scan it does sound like they will be doing some cool stuff though.

Now I know why Games Workshop charges so much, they must have a top notch advertising department.

If this is a new edition, I'm cautiously optimistic. They really seem to be getting their shit together (as far as gameplay balance is concerned, don't get me fucking started on those stupid ass Knights) lately. They're updating the old codices much faster and the power creep seems to have been halted seeing as every codex after Eldar has been relatively balanced.

Gentlemen, I think we may be on the cusp of a new golden age of 40k, or maybe GW might just go full retard, turn the dataslate production up to 11, pump out a dozen more Imperial factions and purge any semblance of grimdark from the lore for the kiddies.

I'm willing to bet this is at least partly because the complete overhaul they did on the Imperial Guard (or "Astra Militarum" as they are now known). Also might have something to do with a lot of people not bothering to buy 6th ed because it wasn't that different from 5th.

As for the changes I withhold judgement on most stuff until I can read the thing, but getting rid of force chart is moronic. Unless they also make massive sweeping balance changes, the loss of the FoC will shatter what little semblance of balance the game had

And it fucking figures, just bought the damn rule book a few months ago....

OT: Fingers crossed everything doesn't go to hell, if this is just a few minor changes I'm keep my rule book or just get the damn thing for my birthday.

Pretty sure this is very off topic but what armies do you people play? Been busy painting some Necrons myself.

Soviet Heavy:
Don't care about the crunch, I just hope that this rather obvious act of desperation means that 40K might finally start moving towards an endgame, or at least pushing the timeline forward. Have the Imperium lose contact with Cadia, or have the Dark Angels arrive with their descendents and wage total war on a Legion scale against Abaddon.

Games Workshop will never move the timeline forward, sure if you want too there is nothing stopping you, but when it comes down to it, 40k is not a story, it's a setting. It's about your army, your commanders, your company of loyalist marines or ravening blood thirsty horde of... er... depending on how dice rolls go... loyalist marines.

It's about your unit commanders, it's about that time I held a pitched battle to a stand still by ensuring commander Dantés unit couldn't score with my Looters firing an epic amount of shots halfway across the table, it's about that time my Boss went toe to toe with a daemon prince of Khorne, beat it, it came back on the BS daemonic revival rules and they both mutually annihilated each other. It's about the time my I walked an iron curtain of Dredd mobs and Kan walls into a Tau firing line before my Trukks and Battlewagons carrened into their tanks and poured 100+ Boyz into their entrenchment. It's about the adventures of Ciaphas Caine and Ravenor, about how the Tanith First and Only struggle against all odds. It's about the stories you make and if you want an endgame, then make that story happen... 10,000 years is a long time and there is a lot of war in that grim darkness... there is infact only war... and the sci-fi Errol Flinn that is Rogue Trader players.

Rellik San:

Soviet Heavy:

Games Workshop will never move the timeline forward, sure if you want too there is nothing stopping you, but when it comes down to it, 40k is not a story, it's a setting. It's about your army, your commanders, your company of loyalist marines or ravening blood thirsty horde of... er... depending on how dice rolls go... loyalist marines.

It's about your unit commanders, it's about that time I held a pitched battle to a stand still by ensuring commander Dantés unit couldn't score with my Looters firing an epic amount of shots halfway across the table, it's about that time my Boss went toe to toe with a daemon prince of Khorne, beat it, it came back on the BS daemonic revival rules and they both mutually annihilated each other. It's about the time my I walked an iron curtain of Dredd mobs and Kan walls into a Tau firing line before my Trukks and Battlewagons carrened into their tanks and poured 100+ Boyz into their entrenchment. It's about the adventures of Ciaphas Caine and Ravenor, about how the Tanith First and Only struggle against all odds. It's about the stories you make and if you want an endgame, then make that story happen... 10,000 years is a long time and there is a lot of war in that grim darkness... there is infact only war... and the sci-fi Errol Flinn that is Rogue Trader players.

Disagree, as while the game is fundementally supportive of your own narrative, it has a lot of room to not become stale with global events that progress forward the overall setting and its own narrative. The personal touch is always there, it's not going away just because they may decide to actually unshackle the behemoth that is the 40k Universe and give it a couple decades' worth of storytelling that may impact the actual canon and not be swept off to the novels, regardless of their quality.

Engaging your playerbase is not a bad thing.

Ferisar:
Disagree, as while the game is fundementally supportive of your own narrative, it has a lot of room to not become stale with global events that progress forward the overall setting and its own narrative. The personal touch is always there, it's not going away just because they may decide to actually unshackle the behemoth that is the 40k Universe and give it a couple decades' worth of storytelling that may impact the actual canon and not be swept off to the novels, regardless of their quality.

Engaging your playerbase is not a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that it wouldn't be awesome if they did it, but if they did, I would imagine it would be a seperate supplement as opposed to an official expansion of the game... plus, would you really want Matt Ward writing the lore for an official advancement of the universe, where all aberrant gene seeds (SW, BA, etc) and all non-codex (BT, DA, WS) chapters are dead only Rowboat Girlyman and his Ultrasmurfs are the last bulwark against humanity... well assuming the Grey Knights have all but slain the SoB and are wearing them like skin over their armour.

Ok ok, so I'm wearing my bias against certain factions on my sleeve, but to be honest, I wouldn't trust any of the current crop of Codex writers to advance the meta-plot, I mean lets face it all the guys who made the game cool now either work for Mantic or Army Painter and I'm pretty sure they only occasionally let Gav Thorpe or Jervis Johnson out of the basement to keep up appearances.

How are they up to seventh edition already? I lost interest at 3rd edition around eight years ago.

Shamanic Rhythm:
How are they up to seventh edition already? I lost interest at 3rd edition around eight years ago.

The general theory is that 7th edition is just 6th with added in information from Escalation and Death from the Skies added in along with all current errata. It's an excuse to ship a new boxed set (BA vs Orks 2nd ed style bitches).

With several armies still 2 editions behind, it'd be silly to rewrite the rule set now, especially after a couple of high profile launches.

They should release one every week. I would like that.

I stop playing at the 4th edition launch. It's expansive, boring and the minis are awful compared to some other companies (like hitech miniatures or raging heroes for example).

And i agree, they should push the timeline forward...

Rodolphe Kourkenko:

Yeah! We gonna party like it's the year 40,999!

I guess "Warhammer 41,000" doesn't have the same ring to it. Well that and GW doesn't seem to like moving the general state of affairs forwards.

In any case, I'll be sticking with Dawn of War multiplayer for my 40k gaming, it's far more forgiving on the wallet.

008Zulu:

Rodolphe Kourkenko:

Yeah! We gonna party like it's the year 40,999!

I guess "Warhammer 41,000" doesn't have the same ring to it. Well that and GW doesn't seem to like moving the general state of affairs forwards.

In any case, I'll be sticking with Dawn of War multiplayer for my 40k gaming, it's far more forgiving on the wallet.

They don't have to change the name ^^. I like the fluff (it's why i stopped playing but i'm now playing dark heresy ^^) but seeing with each "new" edition always the same fluff again and again is boring. Why take part in their worldwide campaign when nothing evolve, nothing change, it's always the same statu quo and it always will be.

Boring...

On the other hand, Forge World is making a fantastic work with the Horus Heresy timeline... But this isn't what will persuad me to buy minis.

Rellik San:

The general theory is that 7th edition is just 6th with added in information from Escalation and Death from the Skies added in along with all current errata. It's an excuse to ship a new boxed set (BA vs Orks 2nd ed style bitches).

Is that true (about the boxed set)? One of the things I've thought they are sorely lacking are introductory sets like Black Reach or Dark Vengeance but having each race represented, a bit like they used to do paired epic expansions. I don't think they should wait for an excuse.

dalek sec:

Pretty sure this is very off topic but what armies do you people play? Been busy painting some Necrons myself.

Okay, you got me, Imperial guard, orks and a small marine force.

Adeptus Aspartem:
GW fucked up basically every single release since late 2010.

I wouldn't go that far, but as I said, I didn't jump on the bandwagon. So, meh.

I have been looking to get back into 40K recently. Hopefully this new edition brings cheaper models with it.

008Zulu:
I remember back with 2nd edition, it had a dedicated Psychic Phase. Which was then merged with the Shooting Phase in an effort to streamline gameplay. The force organization chart being eliminated is the worst idea, it means the games will be won by whoever has the fattest wallet.

Shamanic Rhythm:

I hate to break it to you but that was in '98 they released 3rd edition and '04 when they released 4th. I gave up playing and just painted around 99/2000. We are OLD.

I get a kick out of seeing how much worse it gets each generation. Though the internet is probably a great way to find new rules and scenarios and getting models is probably handier than ever. (I remember waiting months for some) It was different back in the day. Gorkamorka and Necromunda were some of the best times as a kid.

JonB:
Currently, rumors say that the new core rulebook will be essentially Sixth Edition 40k with a handful of needed erratas and small updates.

This would imply that GW cares about game balance. They don't.

The changes will, supposedly be available free of charge

If ever there was a smoking gun to prove that a rumour is bullshit. XD

008Zulu:
The force organization chart being eliminated is the worst idea, it means the games will be won by whoever has the fattest wallet.

The FOC never stopped the biggest wallet from winning. Largely because GW loves to nerf the stuff you already have so you have to buy new stuff and the stuff you don't have with every new release. There is no company I can think that is anywhere close to them in the table top market that so callously throws game design and balance out the window in favour of making as much money as possible as quickly as possible. And no rules they write will ever be allowed to get in the way of that.

Vivi22:

JonB:
The changes will, supposedly be available free of charge

If ever there was a smoking gun to prove that a rumour is bullshit. XD

While I didn't include this particular bit of speculation in the article, I find it likely that GW is moving to a rulebook every two years model to make the game more "alive", but will keep releasing printable errata as they go. We'll see, though.

Edit: Think of it this way - they can sell a $100 hardback rulebook every two years instead of every seven? Sounds like a win for GW!

epicdwarf:
I have been looking to get back into 40K recently. Hopefully this new edition brings cheaper models with it.

I've seen a lot of hopeful optimism on the Escapist regarding gaming in all it's forms. But this statement wins the top prize. I'd put it right up there with EA getting rid of Origin and Star Citizen going live this Fall. ;)

The only way I'd get back into Warhammer 40K is if they posted all the rules as online PDFs for free. Hell, I'd even consider paying $5-15 per figure again if the rules were free. If GW truly wanted to get more people gaming, they'd release the rules for free and continue to charge what they're charging for the playing pieces.

But like others have said, I'm not dropping $80-90 bucks on a rulebook (not counting the requisite army books) only to have it go obsolete in a few months. I had played since Rogue Trader and quit with the release of 5th edition. I was spending more time respecing my armies for the new rules than actually playing the game.

Lono Shrugged:

008Zulu:

Shamanic Rhythm:

I hate to break it to you but that was in '98 they released 3rd edition and '04 when they released 4th. I gave up playing and just painted around 99/2000. We are OLD.

I get a kick out of seeing how much worse it gets each generation. Though the internet is probably a great way to find new rules and scenarios and getting models is probably handier than ever. (I remember waiting months for some) It was different back in the day. Gorkamorka and Necromunda were some of the best times as a kid.

Old? I have the original Space Ork Raiders & RTB1 (the original plastic space marines). I've been playing 40k for a long time but my friends and I stopped keeping up with the rules around 4th ed. We still play now and again but we just play with the old rules. The whole massive scale battles and the devolution of white dwarf into a pedestrian catalog kind of made them look desperate and dampened our enthusiasm. I wasn't even a third of the way done with my Lost and the Damned army when it looked like they were never going to do anything with it again. The Witch Hunter army was another cool one but it was mostly made up of recycled Sisters of Battle (they should've released a plastic kit for the sisters) and a dozen or so new minis. They just never built on with any of the cool stuff they started.

GonzoGamer:
snip

I got into it at the tail end of Rogue Trader, so my original point stands WE ARE OLD. I know its nostalgia tinted, but my second ed days are still my favorites. Maybe it's the overpowered characters or the simple lead models. Fielding a fantasy chaos army armed with bows against a squad of terminators. Chaos lords with 18 wounds, Making up rules. Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of the woman...

MinionJoe:

I've seen a lot of hopeful optimism on the Escapist regarding gaming in all it's forms. But this statement wins the top prize. I'd put it right up there with EA getting rid of Origin and Star Citizen going live this Fall. ;)

The only way I'd get back into Warhammer 40K is if they posted all the rules as online PDFs for free. Hell, I'd even consider paying $5-15 per figure again if the rules were free. If GW truly wanted to get more people gaming, they'd release the rules for free and continue to charge what they're charging for the playing pieces.

But like others have said, I'm not dropping $80-90 bucks on a rulebook (not counting the requisite army books) only to have it go obsolete in a few months. I had played since Rogue Trader and quit with the release of 5th edition. I was spending more time respecing my armies for the new rules than actually playing the game.

It is going to take a lot more then a free rule-book to get me back in. The models are WAY too expensive. Especially for the Imperial Guard. I am not paying $30 for the 10 of the most useless units in the game(were they buffed? I have not played in a LONG time).

epicdwarf:

It is going to take a lot more then a free rule-book to get me back in. The models are WAY too expensive. Especially for the Imperial Guard. I am not paying $30 for the 10 of the most useless units in the game(were they buffed? I have not played in a LONG time).

Imperial Guard? They don't exist any more, surely you mean: THE ASTRA MILITARUM!

Eh £18 for a box of ten, that's less than £2 a model. Sure it's not the best It's ever been, but compared to some other model manufacturers it's still not that bad of a price. Especially given so many other games charge about £20 for 2 or 3 miniatures (of human scale/standard footsloggers) GW is in line with the prices of the rest of the hobby.

As for the IG... sorry I mean AM being "useless" well that's down to your tactics and dice, big units that can go to ground and effectively slim down advancing forces isn't to be sneezed at, even if most can shrug off a las blast, that's what your artillery and ogryns are for. Remember the guard aren't a horde army like most think, they are an armour force.

epicdwarf:

Ug, yeah. I've always felt sorry for Impy Guard players, fielding units of 20 and armoured vehicles to boot. Even 10-15 years ago, you have to have deep pockets to field a Guard army.

Not sure what changes they've had though. Last I knew there were still several different "flavors" of Guard (Catachan, Mordian, etc). But rule changes often try to homogenize units for "ease of play".

That's always been GW's catch 22: keep it interesting, or keep it simple.

MinionJoe:

Ug, yeah. I've always felt sorry for Impy Guard players, fielding units of 20 and armoured vehicles to boot. Even 10-15 years ago, you have to have deep pockets to field a Guard army.

Scratch-Building my friend. Combined with Third Party Minis and my Mech-Guard army of 4000-5000 points is going to cost me less than 200. With enough stuff to cover a whole table.

Admittedly I can't use the army at a GW, but that's not exactly a downside at this point.

One of those errata entries needs to be "Yes The Angry Marines Are Canon Now."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or