Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Hits Buzzer Beating Funding Goal of $450,000

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Hits Buzzer Beating Funding Goal of $450,000

Shaq Fu

Shaquille O'Neal's fighting game Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has managed to hit its $450,000 funding goal in its final day, with one person donating $35,000 to have Shaq be a DJ at their party and play a DJ set.

Remember Shaq Fu? If you don't, I don't blame you, as the fighting by EA was notoriously bad and its only redeeming quality was seeing Shaq duke it out against demons and other monstrosities in an alternate version of Japan. Well, regardless of how you feel about the game, another Shaq game is coming. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has managed to squeak by its Indiegogo campaign target of $450,000 in its final day. With just hours to spare before the funding drive stops, a couple of last-minute incentives were added which seemingly did the trick. Some of the donations were generous with six people donating $250 to receive a personalized voicemail from Shaq, another paid $4,000 to have lunch and a game of basketball at Shaq's house, while someone donated $20,000 to eat a meal with Shaq at a local restaurant (the donor will even pick up the check). Possibly the most ludicrous donation of all is that someone donated $35,000 for Shaq to travel at their party and play a DJ set -- oh, and of course, he'll also get a copy of the game, t-shirt and a poster.

Developed by Big Deez Productions, Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn will be a remake of 1996 fighter developed by Delphine Software and published by EA. The remake will see release on PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One and Wii U

Setting aside the fact that Shaq is a multi-millionaire that can easily fund a game based on himself for $450,000, are people really that excited to see a remake of a mediocre game? With people donating tens of thousands of dollars, I guess that answers my question, though, it doesn't make it any less odd. How much would you donate to see Shaq's game released?

Source: Eurogamer

I would donate nothing because I am not an idiot.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Pretty sure I'd donate for it not to be released. I played the original and honestly this being brought back reminds me how polio is being brought back.

This will be the ironic crowdfunding game to end all other ironic crowdfunding games.

byte4554:
This will be the ironic crowdfunding game to end all other ironic crowdfunding games.

I think the statue of robocop in the middle of Detroit did that, or maybe the statue of Satan with kids in an Oklahoma court already put this to shame...

This will be fun to see developing...

...managed to hit its $450,000 funding goal in its final day, with one person donating $35,000 to have Shaq be a DJ at their party and play a DJ set.

OT: We all can guess how it'll turn out, but wouldn't it be a twist of fate if it actually ends up being good?
As unlikely as it sounds, it is a possibility.

Actually some of those donations make sense. The 20,000 to eat at a local pub with shaq is not a bad deal. I can see say the owner of a diner or such forking up that kind of cash just for the advertising buzz it would create. Shaq eating at Taco loco would probably get covered by a couple of the local papers and maybe get a soundbite in the local news. Celebrity endorsements tend to go for waaaay more than 20,000 and add to that what amounts to free advertising in the papers and TV....

As for getting Shaq to DJ your party.. well, you don't realize for party promoters...saying you had a celebrity at your party will invariably draw more people to your party.. which means more people buying tickets to your party and buying overpriced food and beverages at your party and more free media coverage of your party.

It's likely most of those contributors have 0 interest in the game, they just see it as a bargain on celebrity endorsement.

Never mind that I think shaq donated about half the cash himself.

You guys are ALL HATERS.

I CANT WAIT AWH CHEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

But for real before you guys put it down take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLuPc6bOGE

They recognize that the old one was a piece of crap and are striving to make this one decent with a better development team. I'm personally excited for any game that isn't another Call of Poopy: Battlezone Shadowfall Modern Warfare 5 game. It's something... new, the new team has a vision and I'm excited.

HATERS GONNA GET A CAN OF SHAQ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

>tfw people somehow think the quality of the first game automagically translates to the second one

Guys. Go play the original Street Fighter and then Street Fighter II, then we'll talk about "guaranteed badness".

Really, having dinner with Shaq? I would sell my soul to eat dinner with Shaq.

Oh, yeah, the game. I suppose there's a possibility it'll be good... and come on, it's basically gauranteed to be made; there's nothing that can be done.

Did anyone actually refer to this game as a "remake" ? I think not. The trailer certainly bears no resemblance to any one-on-one 2D fighter I've ever seen.

I was thinking Shaq's recent legal troubles would actually have been the thing that would sink the project, but said legal troubles were apparently just a flash in the pan.

At least they are getting something interesting for their sourcing. Not like those $400 pictures w/ Avril Lavigne where you have to stand 1 foot away from her.

I kind of get the feeling this game is going to be a masterpiece. It's going to be so ridiculously retro-camp that you can't help but find charm in it.

tehroc:
At least they are getting something interesting for their sourcing. Not like those $400 pictures w/ Avril Lavigne where you have to stand 1 foot away from her.

LOL! Does she really hate her fans that much?

Micalas:
I kind of get the feeling this game is going to be a masterpiece. It's going to be so ridiculously retro-camp that you can't help but find charm in it.

tehroc:

LOL! Does she really hate her fans that much?

Obviously, Rihanna let fans grope her in her photoshoots with fans.

What?
Why?

Alright, this one doesn't exactly cross the line, but never the less it's time to stop giving GenX money.

The old Megadrive version was one of those games like "Batman Forever" that genuinely wasn't as bad as people think it was. Compare it to, say, "Double Dragon" on the C64 (or most of the beat-em-ups on the C64, which did NOT do that genre well at all), and it was a shining beacon of competence. Its biggest problems were that the hitboxes were unreliable and the characters unbalanced. And ok, those are pretty big problems, but still not enough to earn it its "legendarily awful" status. It doesn't deserve mentioning in the same breath as, say, "E.T" or "Big Rigs".

It'll be interesting to see how this does, but I hope they don't make it "deliberately bad" like something like "Goat Simulator" and actually try and make it a decent game instead.

Wow, lots of people thiking this will be shit just because of the first game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as skeptic as anyone else, but Shaq has already stated that he himsef thought the previous game was utter shit, so he now wants to correct that.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, if he manages to pull it off, then awesome!, if not, then meh, we can all point at it and laugh.

I thought Wii U was a stretch goal but hey, I'm not complaining. I bought the first one on the SNES and this new one looks like it will almost definitely be better than that. Admittedly, I don't remember seeing any gameplay, just that crazy teaser...Congrats Shaq, just don't Green Egg and, Ham it...

Wouldn't it be funny that the game is ridiculously fun and people are just wowed by it? It had a good title though..

Sseth:

But for real before you guys put it down take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLuPc6bOGE

....O..k... Optimism is dwindled....

this funding was mostly to presell/gauge interest. they're footing most of the bill themselves, plus a bunch of rich friends that shaq happens to know, and the campaign would have given them the money even if they didn't hit the listed goal, as stated at the top of the page

I hated Shaq Fu, but I'd pay $4K for lunch and a game of basketball at Shaq's house! I'm 6'3" but he'd dwarf me. Problem is it would cost me $2K+ to fly over there, plus accommodation, etc.

Xan Krieger:
Pretty sure I'd donate for it not to be released.

I'd save that for his next album.

SupahGamuh:
Wow, lots of people thiking this will be shit just because of the first game.

Maybe not just because of the first game. Maybe it's because there's very little outside of Basketball with Shaq's name on it that has been any good. From playing Steel to the genie in a boombox to his rap career to Shaq-Fu, yeah, it's not an optimistic scenario.

Also, you know....

Sseth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLuPc6bOGE

I know this was posted to promote it, but it didn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

lacktheknack:

Guys. Go play the original Street Fighter and then Street Fighter II, then we'll talk about "guaranteed badness".

I'd rather play Street Fighter than Shaq Fu. Now, I know that wasn't your point, but I'll refer you to my previous statement on quality, and I have to ask, if SF2 was coming from a "brand" with that pedigree, would anyone give it a second look?

Random Argument Man:
Wouldn't it be funny that the game is ridiculously fun and people are just wowed by it?

If it's great, great.

But yeah. The hype isn't exactly making me have faith.

Jorpho:
Did anyone actually refer to this game as a "remake" ? I think not.

See the above YouTube video. They do use the word "remake."

Zachary Amaranth:

lacktheknack:

I'd rather play Street Fighter than Shaq Fu. Now, I know that wasn't your point, but I'll refer you to my previous statement on quality, and I have to ask, if SF2 was coming from a "brand" with that pedigree, would anyone give it a second look?

Yes, actually.

Street Fighter II was the sequel to a crappy overly-finicky arcade game that broke easily, and it turned out to be the standard for its whole genre for DECADES. DECADES. Heck, it might still be the standard even now.

That kind of stuff gets around, previous franchise entries be damned. It landed a huge audience despite having a bad first game.

Besides, no one remembers Street Fighter 1, while everyone remembers Shaq-Fu. If word got out that Shaq-Fu 2 was the holy grail of the fighting genre, you can bet your ass it would be an even bigger hit than Street Fighter II was.

lacktheknack:

Yes, actually.

Street Fighter II was the sequel to a crappy overly-finicky arcade game that broke easily, and it turned out to be the standard for its whole genre for DECADES. DECADES. Heck, it might still be the standard even now.

That kind of stuff gets around, previous franchise entries be damned. It landed a huge audience despite having a bad first game.

Besides, no one remembers Street Fighter 1, while everyone remembers Shaq-Fu. If word got out that Shaq-Fu 2 was the holy grail of the fighting genre, you can bet your ass it would be an even bigger hit than Street Fighter II was.

You're continuing to point out differences but arguing for the same results. Baffling.

Zachary Amaranth:

lacktheknack:

Yes, actually.

You're continuing to point out differences but arguing for the same results. Baffling.

They're differences that I think are more likely to result in my expected outcome.

More well-known original -> more successful sequel.

...and that's the only major difference I actually pointed out. o__O

lacktheknack:

More well-known original -> more successful sequel.

Which is why we get all sorts of successful sequels to other notoriously bad media.

Face it, what you're looking at is the exception more than the rule. An average or relatively unknown game is more likely to see a successful sequel, unless you're counting on people purchasing it "ironically," which I guess they could. But that's a poor business model.

I...don't see the problem?

A bunch of people with questionable tastes funded something they will enjoy but which I never have to interact with if I choose not to, and which will probably suck, but may be good in some way.

lacktheknack:
If word got out that Shaq-Fu 2 was the holy grail of the fighting genre, you can bet your ass it would be an even bigger hit than Street Fighter II was.

Shaq Fu 2 is a beat 'em up, not a fighter. They're not even sticking with the same genre this time.

OT: I are unimpresso.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here