MSI Ships GS60 Gaming Ultrabook with 3K Display, Nvidia 870M Graphics

MSI Ships GS60 Gaming Ultrabook with 3K Display, Nvidia 870M Graphics

MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 310x

But with a starting price of $1,999, 3K doesn't come cheap.

Harder, better, faster, stronger. The immortal words of Daft Punk were made to describe laptops of all shapes and purposes (except for harder...well, sort of. I dunno, just humor me, and go with this analogy, ok?)

MSI certainly seems to think so, as it's cramming as much tech into an Ultrabook chassis as one can muster. The new GS60 "Ghost Pro" laptop is only 0.8-inches thick, and weighs under 4.4 pounds, but the internal specs are pretty impressive.

$1,999 nets you an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M graphics, 16 GB of DDR3 memory, a 128 GB mSATA SSD, and a 1 TB mechanical hard drive. The Nvidia graphics are tied to a 15.6-inch display running at an envious 2880x1620 -- an odd 16:9 resolution, but it's right in Apple Retina Display territory (2880x1800).

No, $1,999 isn't cheap, but if you need a gaming laptop that's easy on the back without skimping on horsepower, MSI is your best bet...until Razer's new Blade model starts shipping within the month.

With specs like that, they should get away from using the term "laptop" for liability reasons. Actually putting that thing on your lap will probably result in 3rd degree burns.

^ Yeah. People forget that the real issue with laptops is not fitting that much power into the laptop, but it is heating issues. I have a moderately decent laptop but running anything graphics intensive heats it up to a crazy degree and I need a laptop cooling pad for extended play sessions.

Why would people ever buy a gaming laptop? You cannot upgrade these, mobile video cards aren't as good as desktop versions, and the cost of these is about twice what it would cost for an equivalent desktop.

Instead of buying this, you can spend the money on a gaming desktop, and have enough for a decent laptop, if you need the portability.

Probably because having more than one computer becomes a hassle with files and whatnot. Another reason is desktops are usually not very portable and many people (most likely students and the like) move around a lot, maybe to a friend's house, a weekened at the parent's house, etc. Hauling around the gaming desktop is not an attractive option.

shiajun:
Probably because having more than one computer becomes a hassle with files and whatnot. Another reason is desktops are usually not very portable and many people (most likely students and the like) move around a lot, maybe to a friend's house, a weekened at the parent's house, etc. Hauling around the gaming desktop is not an attractive option.

^this plus the fact that I need one for graphic design on the road. I also move on to a course next year that has no PCs and I need a gaming grade laptop to render and such. Just an FYI that i have a gaming PC too. I don't see the laptop as a main device, just an augment for the rest of my gaming/work setup.

SKBPinkie:
Why would people ever buy a gaming laptop?

shiajun:
Another reason is desktops are usually not very portable and many people (most likely students and the like) move around a lot, maybe to a friend's house, a weekened at the parent's house, etc.

Ding ding ding! Right on the money. Though you're not going to hear me claim students are the sole reasons these laptops sell, I can tell you for a fact that's why I (a student) got one. Yes it was expensive, but given the circumstances I couldn't find a better option.
For context, these circumstances are:
- Students in the EU travel back and forth between dorm and home every weekend, not just holidays.
- A laptop is near absolutely essential for a student, you need one either way.
- EU dorms rooms usually have no private TVs.
- I'm a hardcore gamer, no way I'm going on a diet of retro games and minesweeper for 5+ years.
- Given how I have classes all week, I get about as much gaming done over the weekends at home as I do the rest of the week at my dorm.

Not that there's no other options whatsoever, but none solve the issue as thoroughly as just biting the bullet and going for the gaming laptop. Heck, many other solutions aren't even that much cheaper, considering you need a laptop either way.

EDIT: it also never gets old to be playing with a friend only to say "brb" and then showing up at his place 15 mins later, turning it into a lan party.

Wow, an MSI gaming laptop that doesn't look like complete ass. Though I'll never understand why they use pictures with their weird looking rainbow keyboard instead of setting it to one color

Sseth:
^ Yeah. People forget that the real issue with laptops is not fitting that much power into the laptop, but it is heating issues. I have a moderately decent laptop but running anything graphics intensive heats it up to a crazy degree and I need a laptop cooling pad for extended play sessions.

I was convinced to by an Alienware m15x laptop long ago. I regret buying it for several reasons, but credit where credit is due, the thing has a great cooling system and powerful airflow. I was actually looking something up about it and found an old thread where a poster was more interested in the laptop for its cooling system than its ability to game (something to do with needing a strong computer for his job)

SKBPinkie:
Why would people ever buy a gaming laptop? You cannot upgrade these, mobile video cards aren't as good as desktop versions, and the cost of these is about twice what it would cost for an equivalent desktop.

Instead of buying this, you can spend the money on a gaming desktop, and have enough for a decent laptop, if you need the portability.

I personally agree. I think a desktop for gaming and Windows programs and a cheap chromebook for typing documents and browsing on the go would be a better investment. But most people don't buy their first computer until they're going to college. Maybe a desktop is cheaper but you have to tack on extra money for the monitor and other peripherals. Given this is a 3k laptop, you'll be spending more than normal for an equivalent monitor. Buying two computers doesn't make sense to most people when a laptop can do both. Not to mention some people will be living in college dorms that probably don't have room for a tower. Hell, at my college the rooms can be opened with the same keys so I wouldn't want something so expensive left alone. And even if this laptop is weaker, its still an i7 and an Nvidia 870m. They probably won't even run into any games that'll fatigue it

I have an MSI GTX560 that I bought in 2011 while I was in Iraq. The thing has served me very well. I'm in the military and a desktop is too impractical given how often I have to move around. I'm in South Korea right now and getting a desktop shipped here would have been impossible as I had to share a small box with another guy to get personal items over here. I just threw the laptop in my backpack and was good to go. Plus, it still runs all the games that I play at max or medium settings and that's good enough for me.

SKBPinkie:

Well for my job I have to travel a lot, and by a lot I mean a lot. I haven't been home since January (except for a couple of days), and I been travleing site to site for my Air Force career.

I really want the Razer Blade. And not because of brand loyalty or their gamers first product line. Not even because of the tech powering it.

I just like the green illuminated keyboard. A lot.

And the battery lasts an astounding fifteen minutes! I actually wonder now...

Leviano:

shiajun:

^this plus the fact that I need one for graphic design on the road. I also move on to a course next year that has no PCs and I need a gaming grade laptop to render and such. Just an FYI that i have a gaming PC too. I don't see the laptop as a main device, just an augment for the rest of my gaming/work setup.

Yup, just because a laptop is not as powerful does not mean that it cannot run modern software such as Photo Shop, Zbrush, After Effects, Blender, 3DS Max, etc, efficiently. The company I work for is 330KM away from my house and I often have to go there to examine mechanical objects while refining and animating them on my computer. I am not going to lug a 20KG+ desktop to do that. XD

In other words, "MSI continues trend of offering the best specs for the money".

Not that I'll complain. I just wish I had that kind of change to throw around.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here