Google Maps Update Adds Uber Support, Deeper Transit Integration

Google Maps Update Adds Uber Support, Deeper Transit Integration

Google Maps Uber 310x

Uber is now a selectable mode of transport within Google Maps.

Another day, another Google update.

Google Maps got a sizable update today, and several new features should make getting around your city of choice a little easier from now on.

For starters, those with Uber accounts can now choose Uber as a mode of transport inside of the Google Maps app, be it on iOS or Android. Uber shows up under the public transportation tab, so you can look at your train and subway options before dropping $20 on a private driver.

Speaking of public transit, Maps now has deeper knowledge of transport scheduling. You can now choose a specific departure time, and Maps will lay out your route options accordingly.

And the last "gotta have" feature? Remembering where you parked your car. Maps can now detect when you're in a moving vehicle, and when you're stopped, and it can automagically drop a pin where the car has stopped.

Other additions include added filters for sorting through restaurants and other destinations, enhanced offline maps functionality, saved places across all logged in devices, and lane guidance/recommendation on the highway.

Great! Now how about you get you goddamn public transportation information right??? HOW ABOUT THAT, GOOGLE?!

After spending 4 hours failing to find Seattle buses at stops they didn't stop at, I can safely say Google maps doesn't have any idea what its doing in terms of public transportation.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Great! Now how about you get you goddamn public transportation information right??? HOW ABOUT THAT, GOOGLE?!

After spending 4 hours failing to find Seattle buses at stops they didn't stop at, I can safely say Google maps doesn't have any idea what its doing in terms of public transportation.

Move to Chicago. Freakishly accurate bus info. Also predicts walking time like a wizard.

There's also now an interesting little Google gizmo embedded in this Amtrak page that tracks where their trains are.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

I think it's the fault of the transportation services in Seattle. Some of the routes and schedules are a confusing mess, and aren't complete or accurate.

Just don't take it out on the drivers. Their job is to follow the computer's orders.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

That's a rare case. Over here in Perth, Australia Google Maps has up to date information on every bus and train route (Including bus deviations and train stopping patterns!) and is very useful for timing your departure

so how about enabling your google maps in more countries then? you got a navigation that works and finds routes here, but whenever i ask it to connect to the GPS sattelites it just tell me "not supported in your country". good job google, apperently not working within EU.

Living_Brain:
Move to Chicago. Freakishly accurate bus info. Also predicts walking time like a wizard.

could be using the bus reporting system. not sure about chicago, but here you cna go to a online map and see in rela time where every bus actually is and its route. and this API is acessible for third party services. so of Chicago has something similar they could be accurate because they actually know.

Strazdas:
so how about enabling your google maps in more countries then? you got a navigation that works and finds routes here, but whenever i ask it to connect to the GPS sattelites it just tell me "not supported in your country". good job google, apperently not working within EU.

Works in London, and has done for a few weeks at least, if not a few months. I still use it in combination with a bus times app, though, since while it does get the bus/tube times quite accurate there are sometimes unexpected delays that it may not account for, but on the whole it's pretty damn good.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here