In Latest Elections, India is Using Holograms to Reach 800 Million Voters

In Latest Elections, India is Using Holograms to Reach 800 Million Voters

Prime Minister candidate utilizes holographic projectors to reach as many voters as possible.

Narendra Modi really wants to be the next Prime Minister of India. The problem? Reaching 800 million voters in the world's largest democracy. The solution?

Holograms, dude.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (or BJP, and Narendra Modi are using 3D holographic broadcasts to reach voters all over the Indian countryside. The telecasts have been used in eight 2014 speeches so far, and the tech is ensuring maximum exposure for the PM hopeful.

The Telegraph says that Narendra Modi has used holographic projectors at over 800 rallies so far, allowing him to reach millions of voters that might otherwise be left out. "Many poorly educated voters had stayed behind after rallies to check behind the dais to see if he was really there."

I do love the future. This kind of thing is just so incredibly cool. It also highlights just how annoying the US is with our lack of using neat future tech.

Also,
inb4 someone whines about the technicalities of what constitutes and "hologram"

heh, maybe they should be using these holograms for education rather than politics

love how India is a 3rd world developing country that has special leeway from eco regulations * and labour practises that 1st world nations are expected to fol....errr think about, yet has a space program and can afford to this stuff, and still again yet gets cash from the UK in aid.

Imagine if some UK politician used up taxes / party funds on this type of shite... to err get the message across, the papers would have something other than topless girls and footie to print.

(* I may be mistaken but I recall reading about the Kyoto agreement on eco friendly measurements to combat climate change and all that hippy jazz, and read 3rd world countries were exempt on the basis they couldnt afford to have their developing economy hampered by eco rules...China was also considered a developing economy at the time).

I can't stop picturing his entire campaign consisting of his image stepping on stage and being like "hey, check it out! Holograms! Vote for me!"

Somehow, this and 3D Printing will lead to the first replicators.

No, not those replicators, goddammit! The ones from Star Trek!

<waits for someone to completely spell out me my blatant ignorance on Indian clothing pieces>

mattklanks:
Bitch.

Ooooh, nice attempt at editing your post so that you wouldn't get banned. Too bad I have your original quoted post saved in my messages:

mattklanks:
Makes me wonder how you'd handle being tortured and killed in a foreign country oversees, let's find out.

"Let's find out?" Can't wait to see what you can do. I mean, other than get banned, of course.
So let's start a rational discussion at this, assuming the Escapist mods do their jobs on you less than they did on me: how does a humorously (and not a legitimately real) reaction to cultural differences have anything to do with me, "a foreign country," and the prospect of me being in it, getting tortured in it, and getting killed in it? My initial thoughts were "well, perhaps he was simply offended by my post by not reading the truth beneath the surface level- despite the fact that the bracketed text beneath the images clearly conveys that I'm already conscious of the picture -and thought that it would be just as funny to see someone like that, in this case me, be given a cruel fate, a slap-in-the-face of the reality of some foreign political structures." And I would agree with the worldview that in our current age of media dominance and our oversaturation in paltry content, that a great many people (if not the majority) are unaware of foreign political structures, and within the comforts of conformity, combined with their lack of options to assert agency over such matters, deliberately continue their ignorance. It's a harsh reality that (I would hope) most people have to remind themselves of once in a while, with no tangible solution in sight.

But still. You don't have to answer ignorance with violent threats. That's how nasty crap starts.

Grenge Di Origin:

mattklanks:
-snip-

-snap-

----

OT:

Not quite sure how India can justify hologram technology while dealing with this:

And it's not like that's one street. 30% of the people (1.2 billion, btw) are below the poverty line.

I really liked John Oliver's segment on this election on his new show:

"He appeared to me as a hologram and told me he'd give me a toilet"

But yeah, I'll second Product Placement and say this isn't really appropriate when a huge part of your popultion lives in filth. And that massacre story doesn't exactly help matters.

Product Placement:

Not quite sure how India can justify hologram technology while dealing with this:

The same way the US can spend a trillion dollars a year on the military while owing enormous debts?

(I'm not condoning irresponsible government spending - just pointing out it's hardly the worst case and pretty congruous to the rest of the world order.)

RA92:
The same way the US can spend a trillion dollars a year on the military while owing enormous debts?

Not a good comparison. Sure I don't like that they're spending so much money on maintaining their war machine, instead of something more constructive, but it's a paltry 4% of their GDP. India, in the meantime spends 2,5% of their money on their army and are the 9th highest military spenders in the world.

Using hologram technology to spread your message around, when a simple projector and a blank wall can achieve the same results, sounds a tad over the top, especially when a decent chunk of your population is living on a $1 budget and dream of high scale luxuries like plumbing and electricity.

Of course, the fact that he's promising toilets in every home is a step in the right direction.

Product Placement:
snip

Pretty sure 2.5% is less than 4%, especially with the decades-long cold war going on with their neighbour Pakistan...

RA92:

Product Placement:
snip

Pretty sure 2.5% is less than 4%, especially with the decades-long cold war going on with their neighbour Pakistan...

So you noticed which percentage was smaller. Good for you. My point wasn't who spends more (undeniably America), but rather that they both spend a similar portion of their GDP into military. Now stop derailing this damn thing into a pointless comparisons of who is worse.

Product Placement:
Now stop derailing this damn thing into a pointless comparisons of who is worse.

Sorry to have devolved into that, but your original complaint was even more disingenuous. Hologram displays aren't going to bankrupt the nation and stop him from dealing with poverty. It's worked as an effective tool to reach out to people, so he's justified to use it.

Yes, poverty exists in India but that doesn't mean you condemn everyone for using money and say that they could have used to uplift the poor.

This is part of the election campaign. If one were to try helping their people wouldn't they be justified in trying their best in getting their message across rather than use that small amount to help some people while the overall picture still remains the same?

The problem with India is not that poverty exists due only due to a lack of stable income but it is more due to the mindset that has been bred over the generations.

India has so many diverse cultures, traditions, casts and languages that along with the religious difference it creates such an imbalance that it is very difficult to progress without offending one or the other.

This is not a matter that can be solved with only money ( Well, money will help ).

The UK spends 55 million a day in membership fees, yet is in huge debt that could cripple the country's only just-now recovering economy, if the debt rates were to go up just a tiny bit higher.

This is certainly not the first, or last time, a country has had no idea how to spend its money. Especially in a country like India, where your friend's reaction to you getting leprosy will be along the lines of, "Second bloody time this week".

Really, it's hard to really peg India as one kind of place. In one place, wearing a swatstika might get you a nod of the head or a smile from a religious man or woman. In another, it gets pitchforks and double barreled guns shoved into your face. This is a problem that goes much deeper, though the whole hologram business is certainly not helping the matter.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here