Hacker gets Crysis 3 Running in Glorious 8K Resolution

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hacker gets Crysis 3 Running in Glorious 8K Resolution

Please put your mouths in the "drop" position.

You know what's better than Crysis 3? Crysis 3 in 4K, assuming you have the hardware to pull it off. But what's better than Crysis 3 in 4K?

Crysis 3 in (enables God voice) 8K resolution.

Flickr user and game engine hacker K-putt managed to pull off Crysis 3 in 8K, albeit after working some magic with some of the games' code.

First, K-putt had to run the Crysis 3 executable file through OnTheFly, a program that, after some tweaks, allows Crysis 3 to take console commands that it can't normally comprehend. This means, among other things, K-putt could enable new, high resolutions -- like the 8000x3333 rez he captured screenshots at (the portrait photos are *only* at 3750x5000).

After messing with the executable, K-putt ran SweetFX, a second program that, according to ExtremeTech, lets gamers mess with a game's shader coding. Think of it like color-correcting a game, while playing the game.

Because K-putt's PC (overclocked Intel Xeon, AMD Radeon HD 7950) only got two frames a second at 8K, s/he would play Crysis 3 at a lower resolution, find a good screenshot spot, and then crank up the pixel count for the Kodak moment.

The above gallery images are low-res versions, naturally, but head over to Flickr for the true 8K versions.

Nice. Id be sure to appreciate it more if i actually had a montior that could display 8K resolutions.

I wonder what kind of PC it would take to run this at 60fps? Has Nvidia even made that many GTX Titans?

ToastiestZombie:
I wonder what kind of PC it would take to run this at 60fps? Has Nvidia even made that many GTX Titans?

I'd estimate it takes about 3.5 Titans to run this at max settings at 60fps.

8k is even more useless than 4k at this point. Durante makes a tool that will effectively render a game at any resolution. Then he enables you to downscale it to your native screen resolution. That is pretty amazing.

EndlessSporadic:

ToastiestZombie:

I'd estimate it takes about 3.5 Titans to run this at max settings at 60fps.

3.5? So would you just cut one in half and stick it in there? Genius!

8K is a bit much but I've seen Crysis 3 down-sampled from an above 1080p resolution to a 1080p monitor using i think two Nvida 780ti cards. Ran well and looked almost flawless. This is what we need to look to putting the expanding power of GPUs and CPUs towards in future, filtering out all those jaggies and artifacts and giving us a truly clean image.

Wow, For those of you wondering what that might look like compared to other popular screen resolutions:

http://imgur.com/wO6Yhgq

Edit:that image was downscaled by a half

Shame that the game is thoroughly boring and tedious. Space CoD with checkpoints, chest-height wall strewn arenas and set piece nonsense. Couldn't play it for long before I needed it to stop. Such a tragic departure from where the series originated.

At this point I'm convinced that Crytek pushes the graphics in their games for the benefit of people who just want to show off the power of their PC setup, because they sure as hell don't care about making good games anymore.

Now that I think about it, only good game they've ever made was the original Far Cry.

KingsGambit:
Shame that the game is thoroughly boring and tedious. Space CoD with checkpoints, chest-height wall strewn arenas and set piece nonsense. Couldn't play it for long before I needed it to stop. Such a tragic departure from where the series originated.

Seriously my first time playing Crysis 1 those first few hours were beyond amazing and it just seemed the game only kept getting better and better.

"He's this giant open level with an objective in the the middle, get there"

"Which path am I suppose to take?"

"Make one"

"Am I suppose to do this quietly?"

"Don't care how"

"But what is better on this level? Stealth or Brute Force?"

"There are hidden paths and game mechanics for stealth and tons of guns and explosives for chaos, pick one"

SporkySpork:
At this point I'm convinced that Crytek pushes the graphics in their games for the benefit of people who just want to show off the power of their PC setup, because they sure as hell don't care about making good games anymore.

Now that I think about it, only good game they've ever made was the original Far Cry.

No way. Crysis 1 is fucking amazing, at least until the aliens show up, and even after that it's still pretty damn good.

The sequels cut way back on all the best parts of the original, seemingly due to the limitations imposed by the switch to consoles, and it made them relatively mediocre, but the first game is just fantastic and holds up very well.

Agayek:

SporkySpork:

No way. Crysis 1 is fucking amazing, at least until the aliens show up, and even after that it's still pretty damn good.

The sequels cut way back on all the best parts of the original, seemingly due to the limitations imposed by the switch to consoles, and it made them relatively mediocre, but the first game is just fantastic and holds up very well.

Yyyyyyeah I'll admit that "only the original Far Cry" was a tad bit extreme. I've never played Crysis 1, but I used to watch my brother play it all the time. It looked pretty damn fun, and I guess I've just been kinda sour about the series ever since graphics were what most people talked about when Crysis is brought up.

Cool I guess?, I don't have a monitor that can do 4k let alone 8, my money has other priorities and this to me like SporkySpork has said is to just show off the power of ones rig, in which case is just mere chest thumping at the end of the day.

Again Crysis proving it's a game along with it;s users that it's all about graphics first, gameplay and elements to drag others in, much much later.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Cool I guess?, I don't have a monitor that can do 4k let alone 8, my money has other priorities and this to me like SporkySpork has said is to just show off the power of ones rig, in which case is just mere chest thumping at the end of the day.

Again Crysis proving it's a game along with it;s users that it's all about graphics first, gameplay and elements to drag others in, much much later.

Really? Because Crysis 1 has pretty good gameplay, hell great even. And crysis 2 at least has a decent and somewhat well told story.
It is with Crysis 3 that they dropped the ball...
Seriously, Escapists, most graphically advanced games are quite good games as well, contrary to pop hipster logic.

nice. i havent finished it yet since origin had them on sale few weeks ago and just finished playing part 1 and 2.
my rig can handle crysis 3 pretty well at max settings but i do have some slight lagging when im out in the vegetation. especially the tall grass seams to be a little issue for my rig but still playable.
well, i still stick with my 1920x1080 resolution.

his GPU: "let me die, please"

and here i can run the first crysis in 8k without needing to hack anything because the developers were smart enough to make the first one scalable as hell. Not that i need to run it in 8k really, i find downsampling to have little effect for me, maybe im just doing it wrong i guess.
Funny, how crysis 1 still looks better than crysis 2 or 3 nowadays.....

SporkySpork:

I beg to differ. Give Far Cry 3 a play and you may be pleasantly surprised (And after the main story is over then you can dick around with the AI in the map editor!)

I remember waiting 15 minutes to load the next map in Far Cry
Always good to hear that people push it to the limit

Can i get those pictures in an easily viewable way instead of that atrocious image site?

Devin Connors:
You know what's better than Crysis 3?

Yes, Crysis 1. Or just about any other game really. Everyone repeat after me - graphics aren't everything. Crysis 3 may look pretty, and even more so when you do things like this to it, but it's still an utterly bland, boring game. And given that CryEngine 3 had already been around for a while and was used to make Crysis 2, you can't even use the excuse that it's supposed to be a glorified tech demo to show off the engine.

truckspond:

SporkySpork:

I beg to differ. Give Far Cry 3 a play and you may be pleasantly surprised (And after the main story is over then you can dick around with the AI in the map editor!)

Crytek didn't make Far Cry 3, the franchise stayed with Ubisoft when Crytek moved on. The funny thing is though Ubisoft actually managed to make a better Crysis/Far Cry game than Crytek ever did.

truckspond:

Except Far Cry 3 was not developed by Crytek. Only the first Far Cry was. Every other game in the series was developed by Ubisoft Montreal and Crytek had nothing to do with those.

EDIT: curses, ninja'd. J Tyran is right on all accounts though.

Strazdas:
and here i can run the first crysis in 8k without needing to hack anything because the developers were smart enough to make the first one scalable as hell.

I have seen some pretty insane stuff come out of that engine. It really does seem like there are no limits to what it can handle, only what your hardware is capable of.

J Tyran:

truckspond:

SporkySpork:

Crytek didn't make Far Cry 3, the franchise stayed with Ubisoft when Crytek moved on. The funny thing is though Ubisoft actually managed to make a better Crysis/Far Cry game than Crytek ever did.

Wow... that actually does explain a lot!

to think that one day this would be the standard res for gaming,
and people would still complain about the graphics haha.

23,5 MB download for one of those 8000x3333 screencaps :D
Someone asked a question how to run that in 60FPS: how about one of those NVIDIA or Microsoft GPU solutions for the server room? Tesla K40 in massive parallel, or the stuff Microsoft promises will "help offload" stuff for XBOX One to online...

I was impressed until I saw the thing about 2FPS. I mean, I guess it's still impressive, but I don't really consider a game to be "running" when it looks like a slideshow. If you don't care about FPS then is there really even a limit to how high quality you can run a game?

SporkySpork:

Agayek:

SporkySpork:

Yyyyyyeah I'll admit that "only the original Far Cry" was a tad bit extreme. I've never played Crysis 1, but I used to watch my brother play it all the time. It looked pretty damn fun, and I guess I've just been kinda sour about the series ever since graphics were what most people talked about when Crysis is brought up.

Shooting with super powers is NOTHING compared to the graphical leap that Crysis brought.

Before cyrsis, we only saw good graphics on the next gen consoles due to the extreme cost they dumped into them. Crysis was the game that brought the PC back to the forefront. It destroyed other games of its time, like Oblivion.

The gameplay is secondary because previous farcry games did the same philosophy. The graphics however were next-next gen. At the beginning of the generation. It was a game changer and a herald of what future PC games would look like. It marked a turning point for PC gaming.

People cry about how GTA V looks beautiful, well crysis was that x1,000. It was the best of the best, and you couldn't find a better looking games for years.

SporkySpork:

The first Crysis was a lot of fun (for the reasons kajinking mentioned), and since this was back in the day when games didn't lock down their command line (Seriously, let us mess with game variables again! That gave so many games a ton of replayability!) when you got bored of it, you could set strengthscale to 50000, speed to 4, and sprint around the map like sonic the hedgehog, punching people into orbit, and smashing through wooden walls like the armored titan. Smacking a tank into the side of a distant mountain and watching it explode is incredibly satisfying.

I miss unlocked console commands, you can have so much fun fucking with game values.

kajinking:

KingsGambit:

Seriously my first time playing Crysis 1 those first few hours were beyond amazing and it just seemed the game only kept getting better and better.

"He's this giant open level with an objective in the the middle, get there"

"Which path am I suppose to take?"

"Make one"

"Am I suppose to do this quietly?"

"Don't care how"

"But what is better on this level? Stealth or Brute Force?"

"There are hidden paths and game mechanics for stealth and tons of guns and explosives for chaos, pick one"

You're completely right there. The dynamics were just great. I remember getting lucky and hearing a patrol approaching, so I go stealth and wait patiently for them to approach before springing my one-man ambush. Little did I realise that the base just out of sight (to which I hoped to approach in silence) heard the ensuing fracas and went on alert, forcing an entirely different (and explosive) approach. Majestic stuff.

Looks stunning, pity the gameplay sucks.

Ah yes, Benchmark: The Game. Still keeping the tradition alive I see.

Damn pretty I must admit. Still not going to buy it. =P

I don't gett all the fuzz about 4K and 8K resolutions really.

Wasn't convinced at first, but even with the atrociously small image size my jaw dropped right off. Some of those images are sharp enough to pass off as concept art. Now PC hardcoreware guys have something to look forward to being able to do in the future.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here