A Massive Coalition of Tech Companies Sent the FCC a Letter

A Massive Coalition of Tech Companies Sent the FCC a Letter

Super Friends 310x

Over 120 companies signed the letter to the FCC about the benefits of an open Internet. The Tech Super Friends are here!

Al Franken isn't the only one upset by the FCC's lack of teeth on net neutrality.

Well over 100 tech companies, led by giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft, sent a letter to the FCC today.

The letter, first seen by The Verge, does not explicity demand net neutrality. Instead, it talks about the benefits of an open Internet, including free speech, and opportunity for innovation.

"Instead of permitting individualized bargaining and discrimination, the Commission's rules should protect users and Internet companies on both fixed and mobile platforms against blocking, discrimination, and paid prioritization, and should make the market for Internet services more transparent. The rules should provide certainty to all market participants and keep the costs of regulation low."

Some of the companies who signed the letter, including Amazon, had not taken a formal stance on net neutrality until now. Now that a formal coalition of sorts is on paper, the FCC has a group of corporations seemingly opposed to those in favor of a "fast lane" policy (Verizon, Comcast, etc.)

You can read the letter in its entirety, signatories included, here.

Sometimes, I have faith that companies truly have the public at large's interests at the forefront of their thoughts. Then I realize that they still do it only because it is good for them.

Oh well, I'll still chock this one up for a win for the internet because there really isn't many ways this could have gone better.

Well of course the giants would be gunning for internet neutrality.

Otherwise they would be open to what is effectively legal extortion by every ISP in the US.

Also may as well mention here that Netflix, Twitter and (somehow) 4chan have signed the letter.

Kind of surprsed to see that Wikipedia didnt get in on this, since they all but led the charge against SOPA.

Ah America land of the paid!
The only way to counter the blatant corruption of the cable companies is with the blatant corruption of the tech companies.
Hey at least we share a common cause now, carry on!

TheSYLOH:
The only way to counter the blatant corruption of the cable companies is with the blatant corruption of the tech companies.

Hey, that's not fair! You're only corrupt if you're winning. Or Leland Yee.

gigastar:

Also may as well mention here that Netflix, Twitter and (somehow) 4chan have signed the letter.

Not surprising Netflix was onboard, since they were being throttled by Comcast and there was at least rumours that was specifically to extort a bigger deal out of them.

Scars Unseen:

Or we just don't like you for some other reason.

gigastar:
Well of course the giants would be gunning for internet neutrality.

Otherwise they would be open to what is effectively legal extortion by every ISP in the US.

Kind of surprsed to see that Wikipedia didnt get in on this, since they all but led the charge against SOPA.

Well, with Wikipedia, it was easier for them to get involved against SOPA because a massive amount of what they do involves information and data of copyrighted materials.
As much as allowing ISPs to control internet speeds is bad, I don't think it'd have as much effect on the Wikia foundation.
/Note: Not really well read on this.

Zachary Amaranth:

gigastar:

Not surprising Netflix was onboard, since they were being throttled by Comcast and there was at least rumours that was specifically to extort a bigger deal out of them.

Scars Unseen:

Or we just don't like you for some other reason.

Well sure, there's that. That goes without saying. Or it did. Until you said it. WHY DID YOU SAY IT?!? 0.o

Monopolies threaten to raise prices for everyone, including other companies?
Gee, what a shocking development.

Even if they're only doing this for their own interests, it still serves my own (and that of a lot of others).
Good on them.

Who's the Aquaman of the Coalition?

TheSYLOH:

Doesn't it go the enemy of my enemy is my friend? Well.. that is until you both wipe out the common enemy and then it's back stabbing time again.

Well, that's nice and all, but given the FCC's usefulness (or lack thereof) these companies would probably be better off contributing to some congressmen's campaign funds. A letter won't make the FCC grow a spine...

TheSYLOH:

What's so corrupt about writing a letter to the FCC :S

Captcha: "Switch to Time Warner Cable." Yeah, okay...and a year from now that'll make me a Comcast subscriber...

When tech companies send them letters it makes the news and the government listens to it, but when people across the country write their senators they just get ignored.

-Dragmire-:

im guessing Yahoo

for the life of me i don't understand why its still around...

also 4chan is the 3rd...er...entity ?...on the second page lol...

Scars Unseen:

TheSYLOH:

You are only corrupt if you get caught.

If you are winning then you are playing by the rules.

OT: Seriously? Moot and 4Chan signed this too?

The Internet is Serious Business indeed!

Gezzer:

TheSYLOH:

Doesn't it go the enemy of my enemy is my friend? Well.. that is until you both wipe out the common enemy and then it's back stabbing time again.

The enemy of my enemy is a problem for later on, thats the best way to put it I think.

I am surprised so few tech companies got onboard really. There's allot of web based companies but few tech. All the web based companies do not want the power in the ISP's hands because that would make them nothing but a content package like HBO and Showtime is for the cable companies and would have to do what the ISP's say or lose the higher bandwidth privileges while the ISP's charge a premium rate on the customer that never gets shared with the content provider. Take HBO for example, before cable was everywhere when HBO first started HBO was a premium service requiring a descrambler and a special antenna. You paid HBO a fee and they hooked up the antenna and the descrambler. If you didn't pay they came back to collect the descrambler and antenna. They even had a commercial where the tagline was "I'm waiting for cable!" and usually had an old man in a chair watching TV saying it. Once Cable was in every house in HBO's market and because HBO had already agreed to be a content provider from them they eventually became subservient to the cable companies and cannot offer HBO without a subscription through a cable company. If anyone thinks any major website wants to go down that route they are insane.

Now I have a question, why isn't The Escapist listed as one of the signatories?

Gezzer:

The enemy of my enemy is a useful decoy.

JET1971:
I am surprised so few tech companies got onboard really. There's allot of web based companies but few tech.

Same here... I was surprised & Disappointed Apple didn't sign this They are as reliant on the internet and fast delivery of content as Netflix and other streaming services would be. I guess they figure their pockets are deep enough?

Heh, well so much for all those Facebook warriors sending me messages telling me I have to like a variety of pages immediately or the internet will be destroyed!!1!1

It was like guerrilla warfare before, and then a superpower came along and distributed nuclear weapons. If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

-Dragmire-:

My good sir, I do believe that's Yahoo. Or Lycos. But nobody talks about Lycos.

Demagogue:

JET1971:
I am surprised so few tech companies got onboard really. There's allot of web based companies but few tech.

Same here... I was surprised & Disappointed Apple didn't sign this They are as reliant on the internet and fast delivery of content as Netflix and other streaming services would be. I guess they figure their pockets are deep enough?

More likely they figure they can make a healthy profit on a fast-lane. Exclusive content is very much Apple's thing and their services are desired enough by consumers that they'd probably be able to make a deal with Service Providers without paying much extra.

And, unlike I suspect a few companies on that list, Apple's reputation is strong enough that it doesn't need to sign things like this purely and only for PR purposes.

Hagi:

Demagogue:

JET1971:

More likely they figure they can make a healthy profit on a fast-lane. Exclusive content is very much Apple's thing and their services are desired enough by consumers that they'd probably be able to make a deal with Service Providers without paying much extra.

And, unlike I suspect a few companies on that list, Apple's reputation is strong enough that it doesn't need to sign things like this purely and only for PR purposes.

Those who live by the sword, die by the sword. Apple might have a reputation at this moment, but how many tech companies have collapsed now? There is never a wrong moment to gain a better foot hold with their customers when it comes to a mutual threat or good will. Apple not signing something like this might be indicative of a long term plot. Apple might have a gain that a closed subscription market'd kill some of their need to province services for content not formatted for them specifically.

Demagogue:

JET1971:

Get someone to sneak in and draw some boobs on the net neutrality bill then Apple will boycott it for sure.

Johnson McGee:

Demagogue:

JET1971:

Get someone to sneak in and draw some boobs on the net neutrality bill then Apple will boycott it for sure.

Or better yet, rename it the "iNet Neutrality Bill" and print it on a black oblong page with rounded corners that slides to unlock.

Apple will be all over that faster than a hipster on an iphone.

Zachary Amaranth:

gigastar:

Actually, little thing about that is Netflix has reason to be in favour of this. They're huge and would likely be able to afford the fees ISPs would charge them, but a new company attempting to compete with them would likely not be as much. Odds are just as good Comcast and TWC would slow them down too since they'd be a direct competition with their businesses of delivering content, especially since comcast offers their own Netflix style service.

So, yeah. To say the least I'm happy they're taking the high road, even if it is in their own interest.

Demagogue:

Apple aren't on the list because they are in bed with Comcast.

Instead of standing for what's right, they got into bed with the devil itself.

Freedom here only exists truly when it is moving in the same direction as the biggest group's money or willpower. That's always how it has been, and will be for the foreseeable future. That we do these elaborate dances and pretend otherwise is what makes us hilarious.

My prediction for this is that it's going to be pretty much like how the Mayor and other higher-ups here in Kansas City are wanting to change our airport. Most people in this city (judging by what I hear on the radio and read in the news paper) absolutely love the way our airport is setup right now. It's super fast and easy to get to your gate from your car (you literally walk in the door and can be at your gate in less than 5 minutes, and this is after having a friend drop you off right at the front door) and quite simply: everyone's happy with it.

Petitions were signed, voices were heard, and so the mayor decided to put together a little council to investigate all the possible options and come up with a recommendation for what to do with the situation. Surprise-surprise: the council recommended the One Terminal Plan (what the mayor is wanting to do in the first place). A look at who comprised this council that was appointed by the mayor shows that pretty much everyone that was picked is either a close friend of the mayor or someone that would stand to benefit financially should the project be undertaken.

That's what's going to happen here: the FCC is going to appoint a panel of "experts" (translation: "yes-men") to look into the matter and come up with the best recommendation for what to do. And just what do you think they're going to recommend?

Interesting to see who has signed the letter, but far more interesting to see those who haven't signed it. Not surprisingly, it's those companies who would benefit from a proverbial, "walled garden." I'm looking at you, Apple, as well as ISP's!

Vausch:

Actually, little thing about that is Netflix has reason to be in favour of this. They're huge and would likely be able to afford the fees ISPs would charge them, but a new company attempting to compete with them would likely not be as much.

The problem being this is still costly and cuts into their profits. They would have to either pass along the cost (and remember how well that went last time?) or take some heavy hits. I doubt they'd do the former due to Prime and Hulu and the latter is fiscal suicide.

If they had a monopoly, perhaps.

And yet, Google and Facebook are at the forefront of efforts to find "creative" ways to eat everybody else's lunch and get the most web traffic to their sites. For more info, see this Medium post: https://medium.com/p/7136fc3e5925

It's always about the profit deal, people. All this is showboating so we can get distracted from the issue and waste our time falling all over ourselves praising these companies. For writing a letter.

fieryshadowcard:

-Dragmire-:

My good sir, I do believe that's Yahoo. Or Lycos. But nobody talks about Lycos.

Huh, what do you know but Lycos still exists. Learn something new every day.

Scars Unseen:

Well sure, there's that. That goes without saying. Or it did. Until you said it. WHY DID YOU SAY IT?!? 0.o

Because I've found that a lot of people understand this intuitively but cannot or will not verbalise it unless confrontedI'm a maverick.

luveenw:
And yet, Google and Facebook are at the forefront of efforts to find "creative" ways to eat everybody else's lunch and get the most web traffic to their sites. For more info, see this Medium post: https://medium.com/p/7136fc3e5925

Well yeah, but it's naive to expect any company to be a good guy. The best you can realistically expect is "one our side. In this instance. For the time being."

Yes, they're looking out for their own interests, but this is where theirs and ours coincide, so basically...go team.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here