Nintendo to Release Completely New Hardware in 2015

Nintendo to Release Completely New Hardware in 2015

The new Nintendo hardware will be something custom built for emerging markets, not "a cheaper version of what we currently have."

Nintendo big boss Satoru Iwata has told Bloomberg in an exclusive interview that his company aims to release new devices for emerging markets as early as next year. Before you start thinking it'll be a 2DS or Wii-Mini kind of deal, Iwata specifically stated "We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have."

"The product and price balance must be made from scratch," he added.

Furthermore, Nintendo is also planning to boost the use of characters such as Mario by offering figurines that will allow the transfer of game information between devices through near field communications, in a similar way to the Skylanders or Disney Infinity franchises.

But, don't expect this as an admission that Nintendo will enter the smartphone business, as Iwata once again reiterated that Nintendo smartphone games is a line the company will not cross. "Our games such as Mario and Zelda are designed for our game machines so if we transfer them into smartphones as they are, customers won't be satisfied," said Iwata. "If customers aren't satisfied with the experience, it will decrease the value of our content."

Iwata said that the upcoming Mario Kart 8 will, however, had a form of connectivity with a smartphone app, allowing users to track progress and watch videos of games played by friends.

As for the "new hardware for emerging markets," Iwata was quite slim on details, but said that more information will be released at the E3 trade show in Los Angeles in June.

Earlier this week, Nintendo posted a massive $455 million loss, but still has high hopes for next year. Perhaps these new devices are why?

Source: Bloomberg

Pass around handhelds in poor countries? If thats what they mean for emerging markets? They don't have the cash. Neither side does.

Poor countries have something more to worry about than what mario is up to. Something like food, water, and not getting killed. Nintendo would have to cut prices pretty steep. Places like China won't buy Japanese products. Russia is technically the same, because they are still pissed over WWII. And those islands that both of them fight over.

And if they mean emerging tech, its a virtuaboy II. They lose either way. They should just drop the hardware because its the games that matter. It may make sense when hardware was more archaic and custom, but standard hardware means that doesn't work anymore. Its throwing money at ever more expensive tech. They can't keep this up forever.

captacha: cut and run

yeah, Nintendo should.

Ultratwinkie:
Pass around handhelds in poor countries? If thats what they mean for emerging markets? They don't have the cash.

pretty certain what they mean by "emerging markets" is basically CHina after the recent ban being lifted on (official) console sales.

and they certainly do have the cash....comparatively.

there are a billion smartphone users in China for example....out of 1.3 billion of a population...so the idea they are mostly still penniless peasants is very much out of date...

Sleekit:

Ultratwinkie:
Pass around handhelds in poor countries? If thats what they mean for emerging markets? They don't have the cash.

pretty certain what they mean by "emerging markets" is basically CHina after the recent ban being lifted on (official) console sales.

and they certainly do have the cash.

yeah, I addressed that. No way China, a country that brings up Japan's WWII atrocities every day, would buy Japanese products. The grudge is still huge. Its why Sony isn't in China either yet.

Ultratwinkie:

Sleekit:

Ultratwinkie:

yeah, I addressed that. No way China, a country that brings up Japan's WWII atrocities every day, would buy Japanese products. The grudge is still huge. Its why Sony isn't in China either yet.

ahem....to quote wikipedia : "In 2008, China-Japan trade grew to $266.4 billion, a rise of 12.5 percent on 2007, making China and Japan the top two-way trading partners. China was also the biggest destination for Japanese exports in 2009."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Japan_relations

"top two way trading partners" ("in the world" i assume) it says there.

as one might expect from "the world's second and third-largest economies." right next door to one another.

words...money...and cool stuff...is three different things ;P

Sleekit:

Ultratwinkie:

Sleekit:

ahem....to quote wikipedia : "In 2008, China-Japan trade grew to $266.4 billion, a rise of 12.5 percent on 2007, making China and Japan the top two-way trading partners. China was also the biggest destination for Japanese exports in 2009."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Japan_relations

"top two way trading partners" (in the world i assume) it says there.

as one might expect from "the world's second and third-largest economies." right next door to one another.

words...money...and cool stuff...is three different things ;P

That depends if they allowed media in that agreement. Trading happens since forever, but the difference here is the media sale that only came up recently. Wasn't the ban originally to keep a tight grip on the media exposure to kids? To ensure no "sedition" gets in? And only what the state allows? Even movies get the censorship hammer. If you don't extol China every 5 minutes, off to the dungeon you go.

Because I would imagine Japan selling media to kids unhindered would be a big no no, and censorship will come down on them harder than what even Microsoft would get. Which is why they are there first.

Though its worth to note that China feels embarrassed that a great nation like themselves got the short end of the stick for many years. They might not like the idea that they get the short end of the stick again when their kids like the same media from the same nation that that invaded them. So its a pride thing.

Though I am sure blood and guts won't fly there. So Microsoft might have nothing to offer while Nintendo can.

well there was a thread about the new Chinese censorship rules for console games and like the third comment or something was something like "so Nintendos entire catalogue then ?..."

...they do kinda near religiously shift "inoffensive" product famously.

anyway to step back for a min....all in all to me this suggests a console and not a handheld...something kinda like a Gamecube 2.0...although i have my doubts if it'll involve actual physical media...

Sleekit:
"so Nintendos entire catalogue then ?..."

That was mine. It was then followed by a comment insinuating that the Legend of Zelda held cult elements. *sigh*

Sleekit:
anyway to step back for a min....all in all to me this suggests a console and not a handheld...something kinda like a Gamecube 2.0...although i have my doubts if it'll involve actual physical media...

So, something like the Ouya, a cheap console that just downloads non-graphically demanding games? And if it can download all Nintendo titles from the gamecube back...

That would actually be kind of brilliant.

Brian Tams:

Sleekit:

So, something like the Ouya, a cheap console that just downloads non-graphically demanding games? And if it can download all Nintendo titles from the gamecube back...

That would actually be kind of brilliant.

ye i could maybe see something like that.

would give new consumers a full on (legal) introduction to "Nintendo" and maybe have a front end with Miis and social stuff.

phone tech would be the way to go from a cost/volume pov...and it could be "up powered" a fair bit when freed from battery, and to a lesser extent heat, considerations.

mains powered phone tech, network adapter/wifi, hard drive...nice cool box...Mii front end etc...the "Virtual Console"....

could be good.

hell i might even think about getting one assuming they ever sell them in other markets.

it better have a better controller or you better start running

Yep, that's exactly what they need. More shitty hardware that no one will buy. That'll pick em right up.

Hmm...maybe a virtual console machine? A device dedicated exclusively to playing all the old titles. I could see that being successful, it's annoying to buy virtual console games for one console and then having to switch controllers or losing save data or whatever when you get the next big Nintendo console. Maybe it could have USB ports and you'd be able to get adapters so you could use gamecube or n64 or whatever controllers on it. Have a full digital and official backup of all your favorite games...basically an Ouya specifically for virtual console games.

Mcoffey:
Yep, that's exactly what they need. More shitty hardware that no one will buy. That'll pick em right up.

there's 1.3 billion Chinese out there who officially have never even had "sixth generation" consoles...

and besides since when has "the best hardware" automatically won when it comes to consoles ?

which was better hardware PS2 or xbox ?

now which "won" ?...

Sleekit:

Mcoffey:

there's 1.3 billion Chinese out there who officially have never even had a SNES...

Then there's nothing to make them want to buy one now. Anyone who's found a way around the chinese censor would likely just keep on with what they were doing.

yes because people don't buy new products in the shops and "everyone" breaks "the law" in order to get what they want anyway...

ah feck it i cant be arsed...chances are there will be at least a couple home grown Chinese consoles as well anyway...

btw the SNES thing was a mistake. consoles were only banned in 2000. so PS2, xbox, dreamcast etc

Custom built for emerging markets? Golly gee, that sounds like a PC.

Adam Jensen:

PCs and PC gaming are already huge in China.

but as we all know "PC gaming" and "console gaming" are two very different things...

Hopefully they won't be as stupid as to call the new console 'Nintendo Wii U Ex' or something similarly stupid like that.
Far too many people that might otherwise have been interested in a new Nintendo console thought (and still think) the 'Wii U' is nothing but tablet add-on for the Wii.

The second Nintendo say's Mario or Zelda is the second any reporter should put his gear up and leave the room. Even if it is a new hardware announcement right after they said there would be none last week. Once they start talking old game they are talking about doing nothing new on new hardware to buy. It is beyond a joke when everyone knows those games will be available and they do want them but those games do not make people excited for the new hardware.

Seriously Nintendo please stop talking about new hardware to run Mario or Zelda. announce something new and let people speculate on if the old games will even be made.

Solve media: "Nonstop You" and I do not even know what product they are trying to sell me... I miss Captcha and despise Solve Media where there is 0, none, nada solving anything.

Adam Jensen:

Curse you, now I am hopeful for official PC ports of some of Nintendo's most popular franchises.

I'm going to look at Facebook's acquisition of Oculus Rift and say that we are looking at Virtual Boy Redux.

*Hardware isn't selling all that well*

*release new hardware*

*Profit?*

I know that Yahtzee was joking about Nintendo's console release habits, but it really does look like they are trying to cover up their failures with other hardware.

But upon the WiiU's release, the 3DS got a bunch of good games, and had increased support from Nintendo, so perhaps the same will happen for the WiiU because of this "new hardware"?

The nPhone is coming.

Think about it, it all makes sense!

'Monita, where is the nearest Starbucks?'

It all finally comes together. It'll be glorious.

Mcoffey:

Salty much? The WiiU seems to more of an outlier in terms of lack of sales on Nintendo's part. Ignoring the Wii, their last two home consoles, the N64 and GameCube, while not winners of their generation sold relatively well and had fairly decent third party support.

Outside of that, we have the Wii. Say what you want about the Wii, it sold hardware. The adoption rate of games was slightly lower, but it still won by a wide margin. And then we get into the portables. Pokemon is all it takes to push millions of units. You can argue quality, but sales numbers don't lie - they're absolutely slaughtering Sony in the handheld market.

The WiiU didn't sell because the cost of development for it was too high. It ran an operating system and a controller that required extra development costs and resources, for no tangible gains. Making a console off of asymmetrical gameplay is a hard sell when balanced asymmetry takes extensive play testing. And a lot of early devs got burned because they used the gamepad like the DS's second screen - which works for the DS because both screens are viewable simultaneously at all times. Same's not true for a tablet/TV combo.

Its a facile argument to say "Because you released a flop, your stuff sucks." Windows Vista sucked - 7 did not. The PSP sucked - buy hey, the regular PlayStation is great. The Virtual Boy sucked. The N64 has some of the highest rated games of all time on it. One bad launch does not a bad company make.

I read "emerging market" as a new product demand rather than new location. As such, I was thinking along the lines of a TV controller, like the Amazon Fire or the X-Box One. They could also port classic Nintendo titles to it.

Nintendo just needs to start making their own smartphone/portable game system. DS is the only Nintendo product worth a damn, and the only thing it's really missing is ability to make phone calls.

For those thinking China is the target here on emerging markets, Nintendo has already approached the Chinese market through iQue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue

It's probably not as much as China that's the focus in this case. I'd say that most of the countries in South America is a good candidate, while perhaps India or Indonesia/Singapore being another possible option.

So...the QOL? I mean, it's the QOL. They stated the QOL would be released in 2015. It's the damn QOL. Why does everyone keep pretending that the January Fiscal Stockholder Meeting didn't happen?

This is either a WiiU 2.0 with backwards compatability, or yet another VR interface to try and match Oculus and Morpheus.

Also, Nintendo just claimed this wasn't happening. Good think giant corporations are always trustworthy ;)

Emerging markets, huh? Well, that does not mean me. Good luck to them and their endeavors!

I think the Skylanders thing could be a good idea for Nintendo.

Imagine how much money they would make with the Pokemon figurines alone.

They specifically said it isn't a phone, they specifically said it isnt an update to another system, they're clearly going for a new geographical market but it isn't China cause they've already started working there. Since it's for a different group of people, it's clearly not a new virtual boy. And the wiiu is already a tv controller (if programmable remote control for tv and cable, the ability to browse the tv guide with it off the tv, the 3 major paid streaming services, and putting most of the internet's streaming video- including youtube and twitch- either on the tv or in your hands on the tablet doesn't count as a tv controller, I don't know what does.)

I starting writing just to address some wrong things people are saying and ended up ranting about the WiiU. I love my wiiu. The games aren't there yet, that is true, but even if they only ever made the games announced so far, I wouldn't regret the purchase. I paid $300 for a machine that lets me sit in a recliner and browse the escapist on the privacy of the tablet while simultaneously streaming yugioh abridged on the tv for the whole room and still having the option to switch over to live television when I want to with the same device. It's like having a $300 tablet with a chromecast except instead of the option of taking it places with me, I get to play the next generation of nintendo games. If only they would give it a basic media player to play music and movies off usb... sigh.

When I said Nintendo was mirroring Sega in the mid 90s I didn't expect to be so close to the mark :S.

VG_Addict:
I think the Skylanders thing could be a good idea for Nintendo.

Imagine how much money they would make with the Pokemon figurines alone.

Well they actually already tried that with Pokemon Rumble U, you had to buy the Pokemon figurines, but compared to Swap Force it got blown out of the water. They'll probably try with a different sort of approach though in this case. Their best bet is something like how Disney Infinity is when it comes to open world, and then build things from there with it. Incorporating characters from all of Nintendo's franchises, etc.

I bet it's really the 1DS. A quality powerful handheld with conventional controls and a resistive touchscreen. The resistive screen will be to keep costs down so it can sell in the markets Nintendo has planned for it. Nintendo will probably modify it's DS and 3DS games to work the single screen and maybe get some VC titles working on it.

I doubt it's a home console since many households in their target demographics don't have an extra tv or even one at all. Or in many cultures, people are out and about and only come home to rest at night.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here