Valve's Half-Life 2 is Coming to the Nvidia Shield Handheld - Update

Valve's Half-Life 2 is Coming to the Nvidia Shield Handheld - Update

Half-Life 2 Nvidia Shield 310x

Following the release of Portal for the Shield, Nvidia is porting Half-Life 2 to its Android handheld console.

Update: Portal and Half-Life 2 are now both publicly listed on Google Play -- Portal here, HL2 here. Both are $9.99 at the moment, and you'll need an Nvidia Shield to play them.

If you're interested in the Android handheld, it's currently selling for $199.99 instead of the normal MSRP of $249.99. Check out our Nvidia Shield review before you buy.

Original Story:Portal was first, but you can never forget about Gordon Freeman.

Nvidia sent us a teaser package today -- an Nvidia Green crowbar emblazoned with the Half-Life 2, and Nvidia Shield logos, along with "What Would Gordon Do?"

There's no timetable just yet, but another of Valve's classic titles is coming to Nvidia's Android-powered handheld in the near future. Portal is currently in closed beta on Google Play (and will be available to the public on Monday for $9.99), so hopefully we'll see Half-Life 2 in the coming weeks.

We'll be sure to post more details as they come in.

"What would Gordon do...?"

Gordon would re-release on a little-adopted platform while continuing to keep people waiting nearly seven years after a cliffhanger ending, that's what Gordon would do...

Is this really a selling point, to play an old game on an inferior device? I know when I was playing Portal and HL2 I was hoping for a much smaller screen and no keyboard/mouse.

I guess I'm just not part of the handheld target market.

All I read was that Half-Life 3 is nowhere to be seen, so they're releasing the same game again instead.

Half-Life 3?

No?

Don't care, then.

P.S.: What's an NVIDIA Shield?

P.P.S.: Nah, don't care.

Avaholic03:
Is this really a selling point, to play an old game on an inferior device? I know when I was playing Portal and HL2 I was hoping for a much smaller screen and no keyboard/mouse.

I guess I'm just not part of the handheld target market.

Maybe they're trying to make HL 2 the next DooM. That one was proted to everything you can imagine, even calculators...

Love that crowbar. Made me giggle a little.

I also love that people are actually bitching and moaning about this. Just look at this thread so far. Nothing but, "Wah, there's still no Half-Life 3", and, "An old game on a new platform? Who cares?"

Remember when gamers used to be happy, or even excited, at the prospect of some of their old favorites making their way onto newer platforms? The notion of being able to play those games in places other than their sitting rooms was enticing.

Now it's just another reason to complain.

Damn have gamers become jaded...

Vigormortis:
Remember when gamers used to be happy, or even excited, at the prospect of some of their old favorites making their way onto newer platforms? The notion of being able to play those games in places other than their sitting rooms was enticing.

That enthusiasm usually came when the original was unavailable, or at least a generation of hardware had passed. I can still play Half-Life 2 any time I choose to; in fact, I did so not long ago as part of the "raise Valve awareness that there's still an interest in this franchise" campaign.

The NVidia Shield is not a widely adopted standard, its controller isn't particularly well suited to the game play, and even if all that weren't true it's still just offering another group of people access to a story that is notoriously incomplete and shows no signs of changing that status.

The one thing this brings to the table is an ability to play Half-Life 2 in "places other than their sitting room", and anyone with a laptop manufactured within the last eight years already has enjoyed that possibility.

Oh, and I think this means that HL2 has now been ported to a limited sub-set of the Android operating system. Hooray... I guess? That's kind of a technical achievement for the kinds of people who relish such things. Not suggesting that that's a particularly large demographic, and the people who fall within that circle who also own an Nvidia Shield and who feel enthusiastic enough on that basis to actually purchase it is probably a pretty tiny sliver of overlap.

There are certainly things that one could point to to suggest gamers have become jaded and hard to please; I just don't think this is one of them.

Callate:

That enthusiasm usually came when the original was unavailable, or at least a generation of hardware had passed. I can still play Half-Life 2 any time I choose to; in fact, I did so not long ago as part of the "raise Valve awareness that there's still an interest in this franchise" campaign.

Except that that's not always the case. There have been plenty of instances where gamers were excited to see a game from their console or PC libraries become available on a mobile platform. Being able to play the game "on-the-go" was enticing; even exciting.

The NVidia Shield is not a widely adopted standard, its controller isn't particularly well suited to the game play, and even if all that weren't true it's still just offering another group of people access to a story that is notoriously incomplete and shows no signs of changing that status.

The series may not be complete, but the individual game is. It's a complete package that can be played in-and-of itself.

As for the Shield: I'm aware it's not as widely adopted as, say, the 3DS. But porting quality titles to the platform is nVidia's newest move to increase that adoption.

How effective this move will be is up in the air. Time will tell. (Though they're going to need a hell of a lot more than a few classic Valve titles to do it.)

The one thing this brings to the table is an ability to play Half-Life 2 in "places other than their sitting room", and anyone with a laptop manufactured within the last eight years already has enjoyed that possibility.

And yet playing on a laptop on, say a bus or a train, isn't usually feasible. It's certainly not comfortable or optimal. Besides, I don't think one could argue that they'd rather lug a laptop around as a mobile gaming platform rather than a pocket-sized handheld.

That's the appeal of this sort of thing; regardless of the game in question.

Oh, and I think this means that HL2 has now been ported to a limited sub-set of the Android operating system. Hooray... I guess? That's kind of a technical achievement for the kinds of people who relish such things. Not suggesting that that's a particularly large demographic, and the people who fall within that circle who also own an Nvidia Shield and who feel enthusiastic enough on that basis to actually purchase it is probably a pretty tiny sliver of overlap.

Even if this be the case, does this warrant such dire and jaded responses? At worst it means another "niche" market has access to a classic game title.

That's hardly something worth complaining about, as far as I'm concerned.

There are certainly things that one could point to to suggest gamers have become jaded and hard to please; I just don't think this is one of them.

Well, as I'd said, there's no real reason this should offend anyone. And really, it's good news for anyone who's invested in the Shield platform[1] So for me the reactions thus far are evidence enough of a jaded gamer culture.

[1] Since it's at least a sign that nVidia is devoted to making the platform viable by bringing more games to the Shield

You shall sooner play Half life 2 on a wrist watch then play Half life 3 on anything really.

Vigormortis:
It's certainly not comfortable or optimal. Besides, I don't think one could argue that they'd rather lug a laptop around as a mobile gaming platform rather than a pocket-sized handheld.

I own a shield (impulse buy, for reasons...?) and you can call it a lot of things but pocket sized isn't one of them, its huge and it isn't pocket friendly at all. The Vita and 3DS XL just about go in a pocket, the shield is a little larger than a 360 controller. Its back pack portable at best.

Vigormortis:
Love that crowbar. Made me giggle a little.

I also love that people are actually bitching and moaning about this. Just look at this thread so far. Nothing but, "Wah, there's still no Half-Life 3", and, "An old game on a new platform? Who cares?"

I feel most Half-Life 3 comments are more self parody than anything else at this point. It's just been so long (coming up on a decade since Half-Life 2) with so little information that you can't help but laugh.

I think I speak for the masses when I say.

"Just fucking release Half Life 3 already......"

J Tyran:

I own a shield (impulse buy, for reasons...?) and you can call it a lot of things but pocket sized isn't one of them, its huge and it isn't pocket friendly at all. The Vita and 3DS XL just about go in a pocket, the shield is a little larger than a 360 controller. Its back pack portable at best.

Well, I know this already. When I said "pocket-sized" I didn't necessarily mean it literally. I meant something that can easily be carried on person.

Certainly far easier than a laptop. And it's certainly a lot easier to hold in any given space than a laptop would be.

That's what I meant by "pocket-sized".

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a related, but slightly unrelated note:
How consistent and stable is the streaming feature on the Shield? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the matter and have found it hard to find a general consensus.

SirBryghtside:
I feel most Half-Life 3 comments are more self parody than anything else at this point. It's just been so long (coming up on a decade since Half-Life 2) with so little information that you can't help but laugh.

Oh I laugh all the time at it. It's gotten to the point that "Valve Time" has taken on a whole new meaning.

It just feels as though some are genuinely angry that Half-Life 2 is coming to the Shield while Half-Life 3 remains unseen and unconfirmed. It's as though they feel Valve is wasting their time porting the game; though it's all nVidia's doing.

I only brought it up because this forum isn't the only, nor first, place I've seen this complaint. And it just baffles me.

Vigormortis:

J Tyran:

Well, I know this already. When I said "pocket-sized" I didn't necessarily mean it literally. I meant something that can easily be carried on person.

Certainly far easier than a laptop. And it's certainly a lot easier to hold in any given space than a laptop would be.

That's what I meant by "pocket-sized".

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

How consistent and stable is the streaming feature on the Shield? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the matter and have found it hard to find a general consensus.

The streaming is fine but I do have a beefy WiFi network, if you pick a clean 5Ghz channel it performs just fine. I use it occasionally to stream Steams big picture to a TV elsewhere in the house and played with a controller, using the built in screen is pretty rubbish for PC games but its pretty good as a streaming console.

Okay...I don't have the thing, nor am I interested in the device much (Surface Pro 2 works wonders for art and the odd game) but I ...REALLY love seeing games put on other hardware to see how it'd run. I'm curious how borderlands 2 will run on the vita and what not.

Recently someone got Wolfenstein 3D on the Genesis, no hardware buffs or whatever and it's really close to the dos version, that's similarly fascinating to this to me...the hardware nerd D:

The amount of Half Life 3 comments on this article makes me sad... Because there isn't going to be a HL3.

The sooner this reality is faced, the sooner we can get on with out crowbar-less lives.

what would gordon freeman do if he was here right now?
he'd surely kick an ass or two, thats what gordon freeman would do

*gasp!* Valve is engaged in Half-Life related activity! Quick, internet, speculate wildly!

Seriously, not to enthusiastic about this. I've still got HL2 on my compy, so I see no reason to buy it on something else.

The numerological number for "what would Gordon do" is 3.
>is 3.
>3.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Oh boy, if I buy an Nvidia Shield I can play a game from 2004!

There are two games being released by Valve. The next one will be the 3rd one.

Half Life 3 confirmed.

I don't understand the hate. This is a pretty cool port, actually. This wasn't ported by Valve, they just gave their approval to have it ported to Android and Shield. Why does everyone whine about a device being inferior, when it'[s one of the strongest portable devices out there? Boo Hoo, it's a niche device. You're not part of that niche? Then stop whining. Those of use in that niche will enjoy quality games on the go, including their Gamestreaming service. Their cloud-based streaming, Grid, gives free game streaming if you have a good enough internet speed.

Vigormortis:

If you have a dual-band router that's got some speed (You don't need to break the bank on this), then you're probably pretty good. It's a fun/cool device. Not for you? Cool, enjoy whatever tablet you choose. My tablet has a stand and a case built in. Enjoy, all.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here