Alexander Gets Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Trailer

Alexander Gets Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Trailer

Steve Carrell is shouting (a lot) in first trailer for classic children's book adaptation

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a classic 1972 children's book. Running a brief 32 pages, it chronicles a series of crummy things that happen to a kid named Alexander of the course of a particularly luckless day. That's... pretty much the whole story.

How do you turn that into a feature-length movie? Apparently, if you're Walt Disney, the answer is to ask "What if Alexander's entire family also had subsequent terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days of their own?" So now mom's (Jennifer Garner) big promotion is imperiled, dad (Steve Carrell) has to bring the baby to a job interview, his older siblings have teenaged problems... you get the idea.

Of note is how oddly crammed the trailer is with of-the-moment social-media buzzwords (Alexander's older brother actually describes his life as "Hashtag: Blessed!") and technology references. "Photoshopped" pictures, smartphone etiquette and Carrell applying for a job in a game design firm all figure prominently in the trailer and plot, as though the filmmakers were profoundly worried that people wouldn't know it was a new movie.

Alexander started out at Fox but was picked up by Disney after the original studio became "uncomfortable" with its budget. Pic is due out in October.

Source: Yahoo

And I thought the whole "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" part was just a joke.

I can't see this ending well.

P.S. Thanks

It made me laugh a few times. I might watch it on Netflix.

But only if there isn't a whole lot of "feel good" in it.

Feel good always annoys me in movies.

Looks cookie-cutter and bland and annoying as shit. "Uncomfrotable with the budget" is studio speak for "We think this movie is so bad it isn't worth the money it would take to finish it even with taking the pre-production and existing costs into account as a straight loss"

Well, they're making a movie out of Grumpy Cat. Why not do First World Problems too?

OT: ...seriously now, this looks bloody awful. I like the idea of expanding the original story, but it shouldn't be turned into this. I never even heard of this book beforehand, but I can tell this is not what it's meant to be. It's like turning The Snowman into an Adam Sandler movie. I though Disney was past these painfully cheesy live action films now that they're getting back into the swing of things.

This is like someone kidnapped Little Miss Sunshine and traffiked her to a bunch of oil magnate investors.. Or it would be if this were not the standard squeaky Disney film that has been released since Jeff Bridges could smile. Am I missing something paticularly bad about this specific film or is Bob just doing the whole cynical critic thing. Because they had this crap in our day too. Except it was rapping Grannies instead of social media. I seriously would not have ever watched this trailer if Bob had not linked it. Maybe he was forced to and we need to rescue him from the cross promotional storm, like in the Matrix or that movie Slipstream or something.

Either way, the fires been burning since the worlds been turning dude.

So how many hacks are going to use 'terrible,horrible,no-good,very bad film.' as their so unique headline when they review this movie?

Gearhead mk2:
Well, they're making a movie out of Grumpy Cat. Why not do First World Problems too?

It was already made...and it wasn't very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_40

At least Donald Glover found some work.

They just gave away the whole movie in the trailer...

And for heavens' sakes, why do you apparently want movies of every kids book that ever existed, minus ten books from A Series Of Unfortunate Events (ie. the only kids book adaptations I'd pay full price to see)?

Seems like a fun little family-comedy movie. It's nice when one of these pops up every now and then since most comedies these days are either of the romantic variety or the kind that can't be funny without an R rating. Hey, I like adult humor as much as the next person, but it's still nice to see a clean-funny show. I hope this does well, and might even be arsed to go see it myself.

When did ad execs decide it was really important that the trailers tell people how the film ends? I mean it's pretty obvious how a film like this goes anyway, but could you try to keep some pretence in the trailer? More and more of them nowadays seem to be going 'and this is what the set-up is, and this is how the conceit of the film starts, and then this is what goes onto happen and this is the lesson they take away at the end...'

How handy. A movie who's title also describes the quality of the trailer... and the movie

I could feel myself getting stupider watching this. I can't wait to see Moviebob rip this thing to pieces - or better yet: Ignore it entirely in favor of something more interesting.

I remember reading this book. I also remember seeingthe animated version.

Lets just hope it's better than The Lorax.

Ugh... So much trendiness crammed in 2:30 minutes... this movie will be incredibly outdated in a couple of years.

...I'm.... pretty sure Alexander's THNGVBD focused fairly exclusively on Alexander, and was more short story material. Granted, its been a while since Kindergarten/1st Grade... so my memory may be off, but I guarantee you most/all of the crap in this trailer did not happen in the book...

Yes it looks like a stupid movie. But I fail to see how describing a picture as Photoshopped is a social buzzword. That is the word commonly used for pictures that are Photoshopped.

yyyyyyep, gonna give this one a BIG miss.

I revisited the book not too long ago and Jack Nief is right: it's a simple story about Alexander having a THNGVBD, definitely NOT about him being the little Buddha that brings his family together after oh my maybe 8 hours of 1st world problems with a soundtrack that makes me gag. Disney never really gets substantially any better, it would seem.

Hmm... That name sounds familiar.

*googles*

OH! I remember this book! Fun times. :D

Oh right the movie. Yeah, probably not going to see it. >_>

You know what movie this reminds me of? The Odd Life of Timothy Green. And that ain't a good thing.

*Goes to look at the Odd Life of Timothy Green trailer*

Okay, after seeing it again, I will admit there are some slight similarities between these two movies.

I know this movie is going to be grade A awful, but I can't help but I get to see over privileged generic people get the shit beat out of them by life and I'm curious. If it ends with them going life sucks and they have to deal with, with nothing fixed then I'll still think it's so bad it's good, if it ends with a deus ex machina that sets their lives back in order with no changes then it'll be bad. I'm not a movie buff but I'm just too dang curious to see this obviously awful movie.

I... don't know how I feel about this trailer... On one hand, I can tell they're taking EXTRA liberties with the source material, I think, and it doesn't look too terrible, horrible, "not good", and/or very bad... kinda... (It's been a while since I've heard, let alone read this book...) On the other hand, it's a live-action now-Disney movie based on a very short children's book, so take that as you will...

Still, I feel like there could be another book and/or series that probably needs a movie adaptation more than this book, at least...

lacktheknack:
And for heavens' sakes, why do you apparently want movies of every kids book that ever existed, minus ten books from A Series Of Unfortunate Events (ie. the only kids book adaptations I'd pay full price to see)?

Seriously, the cast in that one (and only) movie felt down-right perfect, in my opinion... Why did it not get more movies? Was it because of the thirteenth book not being out beforehand or something [more] stupid than that??

FPLOON:

lacktheknack:

Seriously, the cast in that one (and only) movie felt down-right perfect, in my opinion... Why did it not get more movies? Was it because of the thirteenth book not being out beforehand or something [more] stupid than that??

It ended up in developmental hell, and then the cast got too old. ;___;

It's really weird to think that Sunny's actresses are now eleven years old...

The article title is quite telling of the trailer... This can't end well.

lacktheknack:

FPLOON:

lacktheknack:

It ended up in developmental hell, and then the cast got too old. ;___;

It's really weird to think that Sunny's actresses are now eleven years old...

Damn... That sounds EVEN worse than what I thought had happened...

Now I feel like re-watching my DVD copy of the movie again... (and probably re-read the books again...)

*sighs* What could have been...

lacktheknack:
They just gave away the whole movie in the trailer...

Blame it on Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. It was successful, so execs with absolutely no analytical prowess translated it as "Movie versions of ALL THE KID'S BOOKS!" image

You know... kinda like what they do when anything is successful.

"Let's go, Wreck-it-Ralph".
Really? Reallllly? Never seen a trailer being so desperate to ensure us it's new and hip.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here