PS4 The Last of Us Character Models "On Par" With PS3 Cutscene Models

PS4 The Last of Us Character Models "On Par" With PS3 Cutscene Models

The Last of Us bite

The Last of Us for PS4 has cinematics running at 1080p resolution at 60fps, with Naughty Dog saying that the in-game models are "on par" with the PS3 version's cutscenes.

With Sony's announcement that The Last of Us is officially coming to the PlayStation 4 this summer, some have been wondering what will happen to the game's visuals and how much of an upgrade it will be. If The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann is to be believed, fans are in for a treat. Speaking to EDGE magazine in its latest issue (#267), Druckmann reveals that the PS4 port will have an improved lighting model, as well as have its character models "on par" with the PS3 version's cutscenes.

We brought in all the hi-res models, and then it's on par with what you saw in the cutscenes...There's an improved lighting model. After that, we started looking across the board; enemies look a little blurry up close, so that was pretty easy. We ramped those up and saw a pretty significant difference.

Druckmann also speaks out on the PS4 version's resolution and frames-per-second and reveals that Naughty Dog is looking to integrate the DualShock 4's touchpad for use in the action game.

Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch. It's interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is "Can we fit all this on the disc?"

Then there are some ideas of how to use the touchpad that we'll play with and see if it's worth it...Mostly we don't want to mess with the experience too much, and we don't want to deviate from what made The Last of Us so great.

Will that upgrade in graphics be enough for people to play and pay for The Last of Us a second time or should Naughty Dog add more content and upgrades than just the visuals?

Source: EDGE via Videogamer

I was hesitant at first when I heard about this remaster, don't get me wrong I loved the game but I wasn't sure how big of a touch-up the game would receive.

IF this is true however AND they follow up with the possibility of a discount for those of us that bought it on PS3 then I will sure as hell be picking this up!

I would hope that they don't add content, just enhance it.

They could do a "definitive" edition with unique content exclusive to the system as to help sell more PS4s (game is good enough to sell a system, but most people who care have already played the game) but that would be pretty shitty for all the people who bought the game and made it a hit but can't jump to a PS4 (or don't want to).

If they add content, they need to add it to the PS3 version too as DLC. Otherwise enhance away... if I ever get a PS4 I might pick it up just for the extra polish.

Take any ideas of how to use the touch pad and please insert them immediately into the garbage. Then please take that garbage can and throw it into a larger trash can of some sort before rolling it into lava.

Everything else sounds fantastic though. I'm really excited for this and glad I waited specifically for this inevitable release (to buy it, I've already borrowed and played it).

Ragsnstitches:
If they add content, they need to add it to the PS3 version too as DLC. Otherwise enhance away... if I ever get a PS4 I might pick it up just for the extra polish.

Would be nice but in no way necessary. I assume they could make more money and in that case then sure. But having exclusive content on the new version would certainly help it sell.

They finally caught up to PC?

That's nice to know.

I still don't think that the graphics will change all that much, but its at least something to occupy early adopters.

However, I remain doubtful if the graphical change will be comparable to the one between the old Tomb Raider and the Next Gen version.

Wow, their graphics caught up to cut scenes?! Wow, they finally entered pc gaming circa 2010! Probably later!

Sorry if its a bit dickish, but its kinda cringey when devs extol cut scenes as a graphical achievement. Especially cut scenes that didn't look that good to begin with.

Because crappy graphics and avatar level cut scenes are a jarring change. There can't be that much difference otherwise it becomes a waste of time.

In fact, cutscenes seem to have gotten worse over the years. It seems even cut scenes are stuck at 720p at 30fps. For a glorified pre-rendered movie.

How is that an achievement worthy of being called next gen?

You know, maybe I am the bad guy, but I expected something more from the next gen. Is it that wrong of me to expect the same wonder that the last gen brought when it came around? Because I remember Oblivion, Overlord, and some other games just blowing me away. Like how devs could do anything.

Now its like we are settling for second best and compromise with technology that is over 5x as powerful as the hardware they were drooling over in 2005. Its like "yeah, we got games that look like cut scenes from last gen" but why not more? Seems like this gen has limits set on it from the start.

And that's depressing. It shouldn't be this restricted at the beginning of a generation.

Akichi Daikashima:

That's nice to know.

I still don't think that the graphics will change all that much, but its at least something to occupy early adopters.

However, I remain doubtful if the graphical change will be comparable to the one between the old Tomb Raider and the Next Gen version.

Don't underestimate naughty dog. Those guys, whether you like their games or not, are the MASTERS of the PS3 infrastructure, and i daresay they have probably been the devs that have had the PS4 kits the longest of anyone.

In short, they are fucking amazing at what they can draw out of a system, and can do things noone else would think is possible.

I bet this is going to be damn good.

WWmelb:

Akichi Daikashima:

That's nice to know.

Don't underestimate naughty dog. Those guys, whether you like their games or not, are the MASTERS of the PS3 infrastructure, and i daresay they have probably been the devs that have had the PS4 kits the longest of anyone.

In short, they are fucking amazing at what they can draw out of a system, and can do things noone else would think is possible.

I cannot comment on their expertise in terms of architecture, I am being sceptical because most next gen ports don't really do much besides catching up to PC.

I do not doubt their abilities, what I doubt are the resources allocated to improve the game's graphics.

Considering it took me a few moments to recognize that the gameplay had started when I first played The Last of Us, I'll say that the game looked pretty darn good to begin with, so I wouldn't be surprised if a remastered version looks as good as they claim.

Akichi Daikashima:

That's nice to know.

Ugh. >_>

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Akichi Daikashima:

That's nice to know.

Ugh. >_>

My response exactly, and I game almost exclusively on PC, unless a game like the last of us comes out.

flarty:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Akichi Daikashima:

That's nice to know.

Ugh. >_>

My response exactly, and I game almost exclusively on PC, unless a game like the last of us comes out.

I've come to expect that type of response to a thread that's not PC related, almost made into an Escapist law these days, any game that talks about graphics let alone FPS count cannot be complete until someone not of a console platform has to utter their say on the current event as if they were some sort of judge with an actual reason to exist.

The two recent Nintendo related threads have that kind of thing going on atm.

Still waiting for graphics to catch up to PS2 era cutscenes

Note cinematics are running at 1080p 60 fps. They haven't specified gameplay yet. Maybe it will be the same, maybe it won't. Just thought it was an odd statement to make if gameplay is running at 1080p 60fps

Ultratwinkie:
Wow, their graphics caught up to cut scenes?! Wow, they finally entered gaming circa 2010! Probably later!

Sorry if its a bit dickish, but its kinda cringey when devs extol cut scenes as a graphical achievement. Especially cut scenes that didn't look that good to begin with.

Because a crappy graphics and avatar level cut scenes are a jarring change. They can't be that much difference otherwise it becomes a waste of time.

and you just ninjad what i wanted to say. i kinda hate how prerendered cutyscenes in modern games actually look WORSE than the gameplay itself and is even often locked at 30 fps when at it. thats why i like the ingame-cutscenes far more. at least then you have consistency.

mrgerry123:
Note cinematics are running at 1080p 60 fps. They haven't specified gameplay yet. Maybe it will be the same, maybe it won't. Just thought it was an odd statement to make if gameplay is running at 1080p 60fps

probably because cinematics were running at 30 fps and whatever low res it used to. its jarring how when you play a circa 2010 game fine on 60 fps thne suddenly cutscene where you can see ghraphic fidelity actually go worse and its even locked at 30 fps. when it happens for opening cutscenes i usually end up forcequitting and seeing if i accidnetlay set a fps lock or something, bastards tricking me. if your prerendering a cutscene the least you could do is make it run at 60 fps.

WWmelb:

Naughty dog are experts of PS3 architecture. which is why i expect them to do poorly on PS4. because PS4 uses standard x86 architecture, and naughty dog used to work on completely different beast, so they have to relearn everything they knew about programming architecture, wheras the devs that did PC games/ports already know the architecture and are ahead.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here