Amazing Spider-Man 2 Director Reveals Why Mary Jane Scenes Got Cut Out

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Director Reveals Why Mary Jane Scenes Got Cut Out

Amazing Spider-Man 2 director Marc Webb, explains why Shailene Woodley's scenes as Mary Jane was cut from the movie's final version.

While Gwen Stacey (played by Emma Stone) was Peter Parker's love interest in Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel, comic book fans (and even non-comic book fans) already know it's a romance that won't last since in the comics, Parker eventually marries Mary Jane Watson. In the Amazing Spider-Man 2, director Marc Webb actually shot a few scenes with actress Shailene Woodley (Divergent) portraying Mary Jane. So, why was it left out of the theatrical release, then? Webb explains below, but before reading on, be warned that there are spoilers inbound, so proceed at your own risk.

Speaking to The L.A. Times, Webb states, "Shailene is a brilliant actress, and she did a great couple days of work...But it was very difficult to introduce someone as a competing love interest when so much is on the table with Peter and Gwen." Producer Matt Tolmach adds, "We bit off more than we can chew. We had a superhero opera, and as great as Shailene is, she didn't really co-exist with the bigger story we were telling...It felt like a distraction. You can't have Peter thinking about Gwen every moment and then there's this girl next door who's suddenly there...We weren't ready for it."

Given how comic book films often tease upcoming characters in future entries, this is certainly quite a surprise. But based on the statements above, they do make sense. So, should we assume to see Woodley's Mary Jane in Amazing Spider-Man 3, then? While the actress is open to reprising her role, nothing official has been announced so far, with The Hollywood Reporter claiming that we will indeed see MJ in the third flick, but the role will be recast.

Which actress would you want to be cast as MJ in Amazing Spider-Man 3? And did Webb did the right thing in cutting Mary Jane's part out of the sequel?

Source: The L.A. Times via IGN

Im glad they cut her. Nothing against her of course. But having her in the film would really draw away from the tragedy of the conclusion. It just wouldnt be as compelling if we were already being served MJ and being hinted to move on.

Don't you mean Marc Webb?
I wouldn't associate Australian ex-Formula 1 Driver Mark Webber with making such a shambles of a movie.

Although admittedly, he probably would have done a better job at it.

Alex Co:
Webber states, "...We had a superhero opera..."

lol. Wait, what? I guess you can be paid to say anything after all.

JenSeven:
Don't you mean Marc Webb?
I wouldn't associate Australian ex-Formula 1 Driver Mark Webber with making such a shambles of a movie.

Although admittedly, he probably would have done a better job at it.

Haha! Sorry about that! Fixed and thanks! Webb, Webber, Webbing. Webby. Web Web. :)

008Zulu:

Alex Co:
Webber states, "...We had a superhero opera..."

lol. Wait, what? I guess you can be paid to say anything after all.

They probably had enough effeminate men wearing leather and tight costumes to mistake it for the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Sometimes a scene gets as far as being shot on film before the director realizes it will subtract from the movie or ruin the pacing. Regrettably, sometimes reading the script over again and finding erroneous scenes like this before casting begins can save some trouble.

"We bit off more than we could chew" Oh are we starting to learn how to not screw up Spiderman movies? Keep it up and maybe I'll keep tabs on the next one in case it reaches the previous trilogy's quality.

I was so amused reading this.

'Superhero opera'. 'A great couple days work'. 'We weren't ready for it'.

Seriously, not ready for something you took a couple days to film in your superhero opera.

Choking.

Elijin:
Im glad they cut her. Nothing against her of course. But having her in the film would really draw away from the tragedy of the conclusion. It just wouldnt be as compelling if we were already being served MJ and being hinted to move on.

Or, if they had a better script and story, they could have done what the comics did and had Mary Jane as Gwen's best friend, someone who was in love with Peter but graciously stepped aside to let him date Gwen instead while she dated Harry and others, who was absolutely heart-broken as much as Peter was when her closest friend died, and how the death of Gwen also served to bring Peter and Mary Jane closer together.

Though that would give Mary Jane an important role in both their lives and serve as a logical bridge between the two to set up their future romance... and we couldn't have something as reasonable as that in the movie. No sir, not when we needed more time dedicated to missing parents with secret subway lairs and cramming in more villains and cameos where they aren't needed.

Honestly I'd be okay if they dropped her entirely. I'm tired of MJ honestly, there was a point in the ultimate comics where Peter Parker was dating Kitty Pride (Shadowcat) and I was like thank god! Less drama and we get couple fights against super villains.

Is she the actress in the picture? If so, I guess she really regrets getting that tattoo...

OT: I don't mind that they cut MJ after Raimi destroyed every ounce of respect I had for the character in the previous movies. I just hope they don't introduce her later in the series, because that would have make cutting her part a pretty shortsighted thing to do.

See, a point of MJ's character was that (despite the two of them being introduced on a blind date) she was a friend of Pete's before they properly hooked up. An important aspect of MJ's character development was her consciously choosing to stay behind, with Peter, to help him through grieving over Gwen (who was her friend too). Especially poignant since, up until that point, most of what we'd seen of MJ was a happy-go-lucky gal who didn't seem to have a serious side.

I would have liked to have seen that on screen. It would have been a good character interaction beyond "She's the love interest, now she's dead, now meet the new love interest". And it might have been enough to draw me into the new films. But, alas, I think they missed a trick there.

Why did they also drop the footage of Norman Osborn's face in Oscorp?

Because TASM2 is a directionless mess where the marketing team and the editing room had no king of coordination.

Keeping my personal feelings about the Amazing Spider-Man out of the argument for now. Before the reboot had finalized the casting I was kinda hoping for Emma Stone as MJ.

Obviously that's not possible. Knowing what I know about the way these movies have played out it's obvious they can't rely on the established friendship to carry out into a romance so I don't have a good base line for who would play off the setting and tone well enough to make a fitting MJ for these films.

Ah screw it, my diplomacy dyke has failed.

Just cast Megan Fox and a heretofore unseen Oscorp employee who worked as an intern with Peter's dad and has some mysterious connection to Peter as his genetically destined perfect mate and be done with it.

Off topic but yeah I saw ASM2 the other day. Man I was really disappointed. It wasn't "bad" it was just very bland. I was very bored through the whole thing. The plane crash scene was really stupid and unnecessary. "Better make sure I upload my files to my secret hideout no one will ever see!". In general the movie just feels like it approaches the audience like we have mild retardation. I guess I shouldn't spoil anything but ugh it was just lame. I liked the first one better. Kinda surprised to hear myself say that.

hermes200:
I just hope they don't introduce her later in the series, because that would have make cutting her part a pretty shortsighted thing to do.

Very short sighted, yes. Not at all like everything else they've done in the series. *sarcasm*

synobal:
Honestly I'd be okay if they dropped her entirely. I'm tired of MJ honestly, there was a point in the ultimate comics where Peter Parker was dating Kitty Pride (Shadowcat) and I was like thank god! Less drama and we get couple fights against super villains.

I agree with this post, except I always preferred Black Cat. Moreover, they apparently already introduced Felicia Hardy in AS2 (no desire to see it). Kitty and Peter made a cute enough couple, but I will always be amused by the moment Joss Whedon crafted between Shadowcat and Collosus (she falls through the floor after sex, and Wolverine continues drinking his coffee).

But yeah, I always preferred Felicia. MJ was an interesting enough character, after a while, but they didn't do the right thigns with her character. She suffered from "Lois Lane Syndrome," where she was this assertive and strong personality, but often in need of rescue. Then Marvel constantly threw their marriage problems in readers' faces (this more a component of not being able to present long-term relationships well).

This is just now getting talked about? Marc Webb stated this back at the beginning of December. Is The Escapist this far behind?

Seracen:

synobal:

I agree with this post, except I always preferred Black Cat. Moreover, they apparently already introduced Felicia Hardy in AS2 (no desire to see it). Kitty and Peter made a cute enough couple, but I will always be amused by the moment Joss Whedon crafted between Shadowcat and Collosus (she falls through the floor after sex, and Wolverine continues drinking his coffee).

But yeah, I always preferred Felicia. MJ was an interesting enough character, after a while, but they didn't do the right thigns with her character. She suffered from "Lois Lane Syndrome," where she was this assertive and strong personality, but often in need of rescue. Then Marvel constantly threw their marriage problems in readers' faces (this more a component of not being able to present long-term relationships well).

Black Cat in the ultimate universe is well a lot older than peter, she was interested up until she figured out she was hitting on like a 16 year old kid then she had this reaction. It was pretty funny if I do say so myself.

I really enjoy the ultimate universe it has so much less baggage compared the marvels traditional setting. Still hoping they give Ultimate Spider-woman her own comic, Jessica drew is awesome.

I understand (haven't seen it) that ASM2 has way too much on its plate already without adding MJ to the mix.

But on the other hand, wow, way to screw over an actress, guys...

Aw, and now I feel sorry for the girl. It must really suck to get a part in a huge summer blockbuster and then the idiots cut all of your scenes out of it. Sure, she'll probably appear in the next one, but come on. That's just wrong. How clueless were these guys when they were making the movie? You're supposed to know who you want to see in the movie from the start.

RJ Dalton:

hermes200:
I just hope they don't introduce her later in the series, because that would have make cutting her part a pretty shortsighted thing to do.

Very short sighted, yes. Not at all like everything else they've done in the series. *sarcasm*

If there is something to say about this last movie (and the only thing to say, according to MovieBob) is that it looks like the movie is made to sell us on future projects; sort of a 2 hours long trailer.
So, yes, doing something without thinking "how does this affect our future plans for the Spiderman universe?" would be atypically shortsighted...

Dropping MJ seems like a good decision to me. Not that the movie was by any means perfect, but the Gwen-Spiderman arc was reasonably well done and would have lost quite a bit of the punch if Spidey's rebound girl was already in play.

That being said, this might be a nice opportunity to put a love interest into a popular movie, i.e. Amazing Spider Man 3, who isn't the absolutely standard 'skinny, assertive, pretty-but-not-in-a-confrontational-way white girl in her early 20s' female love interest.

Make MJ black, or Asian, or Hollywood-obese (OMG she's a size 6!), or a dude, or in her 30s, or a dyed-in-the-wool lesbian, or a furry, or literally any other human being on the planet than the eight thousand girls in Hollywood who are exactly like Shailene Woodley.

Dropping the character was the right decision. Casting the part in the first place explains a lot about the overall quality of the film script, which appears to be a collage of ideas.

synobal:

Seracen:

synobal:

Black Cat in the ultimate universe is well a lot older than peter, she was interested up until she figured out she was hitting on like a 16 year old kid then she had this reaction. It was pretty funny if I do say so myself.

I really enjoy the ultimate universe it has so much less baggage compared the marvels traditional setting. Still hoping they give Ultimate Spider-woman her own comic, Jessica drew is awesome.

My god... VOMIT?!
He's not...-that- bad is he?

>_>

I mean Cats...Cougars? Same thing? \(O_o)/

antipunt:

synobal:

Seracen:

My god... VOMIT?!
He's not...-that- bad is he?

>_>

I mean Cats...Cougars? Same thing? \(O_o)/

This is the ultimate universe, things get over the top at times. At one point the human torch, Iceman, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker were all living in the same house.

Considering on how much of an "Iron Man 2 feel" this movie has, I would think that adding yet another character-thing into the mix would've just made it more convoluted. Guess they'll just introduce here later with no "which one do I stay with" plot device.

Elijin:

Plus, it sounds like the movie was already a massive clusterhump.

I'm guessing they're saving MJ for the next movie. Maybe he'll have to choose between her and Black Cat or some bullshit like that.

what it really sounds like is:

"We didn't want to make our movie even MORE of a cluster-fuck than it already was. So we cut out an extra character who was distracting from the convoluted mess of a plot we already had."

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I actually agree this was one of the few GOOD decisions they made. But it really does come off as pointless when you consider the fact there's A LOT that should have been cut from this film to make the narrative function better and it just didn't. There's a lot that should have been done to make it less of a convoluted mess than it ended up being. Just simply cutting Mary Jane wasn't enough. It's a start, but not enough.

Would love to see Sony scrap their plans to continue this horrible reboot idea for a while and just let Spidey hide in the closet for a bit before trying this again (or returning it to Marvel) so we can eventually get a better director, writer, and actors and try again, but only doing it better. Reiterate, I'm fine if Sony keeps Spiderman and Marvel doesn't get him back, so long as they can make a "good" movie out of it for once.

Kirsten Dunst will always be the fairest of them all and i will hear no more of this treachery!!

Well, he's obviously lying, Sony made him cut it for more sequel-baiting. Stay classy, Webb. P.S. Any other characters I love that you'd like to completely fuck up while you're here? You know Ms. Marvel hasn't had a movie yet, I wonder if you can make that suck, too.

I thought I heard something that while the fans may like Mary Jane, a ton of the people who write the spiderman comics utterly despise her for some reason.

I dont collect comics and even i knew what Gwens fate is going to be. Whether it happened in movie 2 or the next one, you just know that eventually it will happen. So for me when it happened it really wasnt that big of a surprise, nor did i really care about her character. I think they are lying about the whole MJ thing, they could have set her up as a friend of Gwens or seen her around somewhere and introduces herself. Thing is people who watched the Raimi movies know who MJ is so im guessing they cut her out so it would automatically make you call time on the Peter/Gwen relationship as being worthless as their is no point us getting sucked into a relationship we know is doomed.

Witty Name Here:
I thought I heard something that while the fans may like Mary Jane, a ton of the people who write the spiderman comics utterly despise her for some reason.

That's typically the joke with Spider-Man fans; Joe Quesada (the man who commissioned the infamous One More Day storyline) has apparently said that he believed that Spidey getting married "aged" him. Quite frankly the man in general seems to dislike marriage in comics, judging by how Jean Grey and Wasp were also killed off just to make their significant others single.

Though Spidey in general seems to be the one where you have the BIGGEST display of the "author vs. fans" dynamic, not helped by the fact that a lot of comic writers were fans growing up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here