Netflix to Raise Price for New Members, Existing Members Stay at $7.99

Netflix

New members can expect to pay an extra back -- $8.99 instead of $7.99.

The Netflixpocalypse has finally begun!

Not really, though. Slowly but surely, Netflix is emailing all of its subscribers, cluing them into an impending price hike.

I've yet to get the email, but Fearless Leader Greg Tito found this email, titled "Important Membership Information," in his inbox this morning (emphasis added):

Hi Greg,

In order to continue adding more movies and TV shows, we are increasing our price from $7.99 to $8.99 for new members. As a thank you for being a member of Netflix already, we guarantee that your plan and price will not change for two years.

You can review your membership details at any time by visiting Your Account. As always, if you have questions, we are happy to answer them. Please call us at any time at 1-888-357-1516.

-The Netflix Team

So if you're already a Netflix subscriber, your $7.99 price will not change for two years. New members -- and we've yet to find out what the new member/old member cut-off date is -- will be paying the extra buck.

All things considered, it's a great strategy for Netflix. You're not angering your established user base while raising prices. And new people signing up? Well, you've had {looks at watch] literally years to sign up for the $7.99 price. Sometimes life isn't fair, I suppose. I'm curious if the new member cut-off is today, or if it's a date earlier this week. Does John Doe, who signed up May 6th, get the $7.99 price? Or is he new enough for $8.99? I'm sure the Internet Hate Machine will let me know in due time.

Hopefully this extra cash gets split between securing distribution rights, as well as fueling more original content. Carry on, Netflix.

Happy to know i'll save $12 a year for 2 years... Wooo $24!

I can live with a $1 hike, and I'm happy to still be at the lower rate, but its not that much of a hike.

Amazons hike was greater D:< and their streaming service is Meh :P

Man, it's great of them to not raise the prices for existing members. I mean, it's really not a lot of money, but still. And even then, I'd be happy to pay an extra dollar a month, considering how much I watch Netflix.

Wonder how much this has to do with net neutrality getting struck down and them paying Comcast for a fast-lane.

I'm curious to know if this will also count for Netflix in other countries. As it stands compared to the US version, Canadian Netflix is a liiiittle bit rubbish. Will the price go up for us, even if we don't get the same increase in library, hypothetically? I know it's not entirely in their control, but I still wish it was a problem that could be resolved.

Zackmeister:
I'm curious to know if this will also count for Netflix in other countries. As it stands compared to the US version, Canadian Netflix is a liiiittle bit rubbish. Will the price go up for us, even if we don't get the same increase in library, hypothetically? I know it's not entirely in their control, but I still wish it was a problem that could be resolved.

I live in Norway and our price went up, so I'm guessing its global.

I'd be happy to pay $10.00 a month for the service I'm getting, if it meant a quicker release of new shows. I still have a mountainous number of shows to watch (currently stuck on House), so I"m not in danger of running out, but a few shows I really enjoy are years behind or not on Netflix at all. I appreciate the lack of a price hike, but I'd gladly pay more for an expanded library and faster updates.

I got an email from the Irish Netflix a few months ago with the same gist (and an equal $=euro exchange rate). I don't know if it has actually enacted the price hike, though.
Nor have I seen an actual improvement in quality of selection (Canadians, you have it much better than you think). I'm paying an extra 5 Canadian$/month for access to all other international libraries, so hopefully the libraries in each market will reach a more equal state and I can drop the extra subscription.

Also, does anyone know why the euro symbol is displayed as a question mark in the live preview?

I'll just say that I'd also be willing to pay 10 bucks if the offerings were as strong as Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus... And maybe it meant faster releases of movies. I must admit, I was super psyched when Insidious Chapter 2 dropped onto Netflix. I wanna see more speedy releases like that.

Zackmeister:

I got the email this morning saying it was going up by 1 for new users but sadly no sudden reveal that I would be able to access US content legally with that increase.

I still recall when I first accessed the American Netflix, I swear I heard an angelic choir and everything the room went all shiny and what not.

I already ended up paying more to get the full range of stuff in the UK. Without a DNS service the UK version is like a bargain bin in an already out of date video store.

The earliest price-hike reports came in from the UK, and other parts of Europe. Price are going up a dollar, pound, euro, etc., all over the place.

-Devin Connors

Honestly, $8.99 is still a pretty good deal. I can spend that much getting a two or three DVDs from the local video rental place.

Dang, I'm still on my free month trial, so I don't get the savings. Oh well, it's only a dollar.

I pay $11.99 for Netflix, but I have the higher streaming plan that lets 4 people stream at the same time. We substituted cable and satellite TV with Netflix and it has served us pretty well so far. Most people in my house play games surf the web as their primary source of entertainment, so it saves us a ton of money each month.

Devin Connors:

New members can expect to pay an extra back -- $8.99 instead of $7.99.

I assume that's supposed to say an extra buck? although that's probably too localised a slang for something that's apparently a world wide price increase.

Gorrath:
I'd be happy to pay $10.00 a month

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Don't let them hear you, they have ears everywhere...

Still, better than paying for cable

Soviet Heavy:
Dang, I'm still on my free month trial, so I don't get the savings. Oh well, it's only a dollar.

*EDIT* Damn, for some reason I thought you were in the US!

[1] On Prime-qualified purchases

For what it's worth: the increased US price is still lower than the old UK price. We currently pay 5.99 ($10.09) which is being increased to 6.99 ($11.77). And you have a much better selection of stuff on there. So... yeah.

You know what, Netflix? I'm cool with this. $1 isn't unreasonable. When I read the thread title, I thought "oh man, what if they're bumping it up to $14.99? but $1? That's cool.

michael87cn:
You know what, Netflix? I'm cool with this. $1 isn't unreasonable. When I read the thread title, I thought "oh man, what if they're bumping it up to $14.99? but $1? That's cool.

Agreed.
Prices will rise after all.

*Expects everyone to be outraged by Netflix charging new members extra while old members stay the same*

*Sees how everyone's not only happy, but willing to pay more for membership*

.... Huh. This is one of those times i'm totally taken back when beforehand, I had a vibe that everyone would flip out.

OT: Since i'm a member already, i'll just be paying the same deal as before. Netflix really is a power house since it was able to put other companies like Block Buster and so on- out of business. Also I can get them anytime without even leaving my house lol.

Devin Connors:

New members can expect to pay an extra back

an extra buck.

Netflix is still an extraordinary value at $9, and telling existing customers "hey, you know what? You don't have to pay the extra" is a class act. I'm fine with this.

I'd certainly pay for Netflix if I could actually see what stuff the Canadian version has. I mean, a show and movie list would be fantastic, but unless I find it, Netflix isn't getting my $9 a month :c Which is too bad, cause the system sounds great

michael87cn:

That's definitely a very reasonable price increase, and it rewards old customers for sticking around. It's sure as hell a lot better than similar companies that advertise a nice service for some cheap price and then jack the price up massively after a few months, usually without telling you or with those tiny print in the ads that nobody on the planet can read.

I love Netflix. I adore it so hard. But I recently cancelled my subscription, as to not support a company that double speaks so openly about net neutrality.

ill pay your extra buck, just expand your supported countries so i can stop using gateways to acess you, damnit.

Whats that Netflix? My country can continue to go fuck itself? Well, good day to you sir.

I canceled my subscription after their Comcast deal. I'm not going to support a company that says Net Neutrality is important... and then goes and signs not one, but two deals against it... I have a few friends that have also done the same. So when I got my email the other day saying subscription fees were going up, I actually laughed a little cause I got the email Yesterday, but its Today that my membership is officially now over.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here