Prepare Yourself, for Google is Testing a Brand New Gmail Web Interface

Prepare Yourself, for Google is Testing a Brand New Gmail Web Interface

Google Gmail Redesign 310x

The new design could signal a shift in UX/UI for Google in the coming months and years.

Geek.com has the scoop: Google is actively testing a radically redesigned Gmail interface for the web.

The redesign is more than just a component or two being tacked onto the existing Gmail web client. Yes, you still read emails top to bottom, left to right, but notifications, menus, and a new pin system are in play.

Most notable, aside from the generally cleaner-looking layout, is the notification system, which has been moved to the bottom-right corner of the interface. Here you can see notification and task icons for everything from composing emails, to meeting reminders.

Pins, which will likely replace the Star system Google currently employs, will take the most getting used (for me, anyway). But first impression? It looks slick, clean, organized, and I hope Google pushes this out (or something like it) in the coming weeks or months. And, knowing Google, you'll be able to retain the old design for a while as you migrate over and grow accustomed to the changes.

Check out all the screenshots over on Geek, and let us know what you think in the forums.

Well, let's hope this goes better than the changes they made to Youtube. I do like the idea of a cleaner interface, but IMO Gmail was already pretty damn clean and intuitive. Why fix what isn't broken? If Google really needs something to keep themselves busy, why not expand Google Fiber service?

I just want the ability to delete selected mail with the delete key like my yahoo account does...

Only thing that I dislike about this is that I can't access it yet. I generally like the redesigns that google makes, I just love clicking all over the place, finding new stuff and finding out how stuff works.

Why the fuck does Google feel the need to change things that are working perfectly well?

Shadeovblack:
Why does every site on the net feel the need to change things that are working perfectly well?

Fixed that for you.

Fanfuckingtastic.

I already have to use frigging Word to type my emails for work due to Gmail's annoying 'shove everything useful into tabs' mentality, which combined with Google's other recent design choices doesn't exactly full me with confidence.

Devin Connors:
And, knowing Google, you'll be able to retain the old design for a while as you migrate over and grow accustomed to the changes.

It would be better if we could you'know keep the current scheme, or better yet switch back to the older version. It may not have looked all polished and fancy but it did the job and had everything I needed easily accessible.

YAaaaay... Another stupid change, adding up to that of all the other stupid changes Google does to everything.

I could bet that in a few years, if not months they'll be trying to put some dumbass interface that won't have any interface at all, and you'll need to headbutt your computer to send emails. AWESOME!

Come on google, no one cares that much about your email serves

Neeckin:
Come on google, no one cares that much about your email serves

Umm. Gmail is the number one most used email provider in the world. Obviously people care alot about their email services.

Fucking Christ that looks like shit. How the hell am I supposed to get anything done with that bullshit.

I hope they trash this, I really want to keep gmail the way it is, you know, functional instead of "pretty".

What a mess.

Valderis:
Fucking Christ that looks like shit. How the hell am I supposed to get anything done with that bullshit.

I hope they trash this, I really want to keep gmail the way it is, you know, functional instead of "pretty".

What a mess.

You wouldn't be saying that if this was Apple doing this.

Zig131:

Valderis:

What a mess.

Well fucking DUH!

I have never owned a single damn Apple anything so no shit I wouldn't give two shits what bullshit they would pull in their interface design.

I still hate them though, but that's more due to their fan culture. And their idiotic prices for their "pretty" bullshit.

So, you know, fuck apple too.

I am the hate train don't you know? Choo Choo all aboard!

Why the hell do they keep dicking around with gmail? It already works and works well, I just want the original version. The whole reason I picked up gmail in the first place was that they had the cleanest and best UI, and they keep just screwing with it for no reason.

Well then I guess it's a good thing I almost never actually go to my Gmail inbox aside from when I feel the odd urge to clean out my inbox of all the crap that's built up.

It does actually look cleaner. I think my gmail is a friggin eye sore of a mess. As long as they don't remove features like they always do to youtube then I'm cool with it

Valderis:
snip

Fuck Apple. And that's coming from an iMac user.

My first move will be to find a script or addon that restores the current layout ...failing that, I'll likely stop using gmail and find a client at that point, like Outlook or Thunderbird. I was close to doing it when the youtube integration hit.
Youtube for me, is now so heavily scripted that I have no idea what it originally looks like anymore.

I respect that they want to redesign email UI's and revolutionize it according to social sciences and whatnot, but forcing change or "migrating" as they call it, is nothing less but cruel. Let me explain that for a second; I (and I suspect most of us) use my email for so many things that I have no chance of keeping track of it anymore, including everything related to the government, insurances and so on. If I were to change my mail, it'd take more than a year to get it all fixed, because I'd have to still keep an eye on the old account. Not to mention bullshit systems like Origin that don't let you change your email account.

This is extremely frustrating news and there's no amount of complaints that will change it. By this rate, we'll nickname North Korea as "Google".

brace yourself, google updates are comming. seriuosly, why does every update has to make things WORSE. when they said google moved to mostly apples in their work enviroment they werent kidding, looks like interface needs to get dumbed down constantly. do they have so brain cancer that is regressing their ability to think or something?

Ed130 The Vanguard:

I already have to use frigging Word to type my emails for work due to Gmail's annoying 'shove everything useful into tabs' mentality, which combined with Google's other recent design choices doesn't exactly full me with confidence.

you can effectively disable gmails tabs

Zig131:

It is apple doing this. Google has said in the past that at first they used mostly desktops for work and not they use 80% apple products. they probably got used to having dumb interface and want more of it.

P.S. the worst thing: half of Geek comments actually like this. Curse UX designers....

I hate the way Gmail looks, so I'm not sure I'd even care about a redesign. But knowing Google, they'll find a way to make it worse.

I can't wait to try the new gmail. I like the old style but I'm sure I'll come to love the new changes.

I hate that as a species we're getting better at using computers (and have better hardware and service access in general) yet somehow the trend among website designers is to put less information in interfaces and not more. All these 'clean' interfaces fit great on my 3-inch smartphone screen, but what's the point of even having a big 1080p monitor when most websites hide away all the detail and controls?

Strazdas:

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Already done, I was talking about the stupid box for new email's. Retarded sizing options, unable to shift it to a new tab and all the formatting options hidden at the bottom.

Eh, not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first saw (paraphrasing) "Brand New GUI for Gmail". Not a fan of the "everything is white/gray" aesthetic, but I'm sure they'll have an option to change it.

The changes seem not unlike some of the changes the Escapist did recently. Everything is more or less where it was already so it doesn't bug me all that much.

I understand the frustration some people are expressing though, there are a lot of times where the changes just cause months of frustration as you learn the new GUI and at the end of the day it isn't really any better than the last one. In this case though, I don't think it'll be that bad.

It can't be any worse than what it is now. Right? Right?

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Strazdas:

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Already done, I was talking about the stupid box for new email's. Retarded sizing options, unable to shift it to a new tab and all the formatting options hidden at the bottom.

you can make that box a pop-out and you cna force popouts into new tabs in your browser, but thats about as far as it goes. and i agree that the design is very flawed, but this is google, comparing to other deisngs they "havnet ruined it yet". well, looks like they are "fixing" this one.

Zig131:

You must be new h-
Oh, you ARE actually new here.

Fair warning: On this site, Apple is hated just as much as everything else, if not more-so.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here