Red Dead Redemption For PC Appears on Windows Website

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Red Dead Redemption For PC Appears on Windows Website

Red Dead Redemption cover

The Windows Compatibility Center is hinting that Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption might finally be coming to the PC.

Red Dead Redemption is perhaps not the greatest game Rockstar has ever released, but it clearly did a lot of things right: We rated it 5/5 in our 2010 review, after all. One thing it did not do, however, is appear on PCs - but that may be about to change.

As spotted by the watchful eyes of Reddit, Red Dead Redemption has appeared on Microsoft's Windows Compatibility Center, a site that "lists thousands of the most popular apps and devices to help you easily identify what will or won't work with various versions of Windows," according to its FAQ. The site also states that in order to be listed, software must be submitted by a proper representative of the publisher, along with information allowing Microsoft to verify its legitimacy.

That's a long way from an official announcement but the entry hasn't yet been taken down, and Rockstar did drop a hint last year that a PC version of the game might be in the works. E3 is just a month away - could Rockstar be cooking up a surprise for June?

Source: Windows Compatibility Center

4 years, it's been.

That's a very long time to finally get around to making a PC version, especially since Rockstar don't take that long making PC versions of their other games.

I have no interest in this title anymore... seriously, 4 years, unless they are selling it at a severely reduced price with all the DLC (so about £10) I am not interested.

Probably the best Rockstar game ever made, IMO.

But yeah, I agree with the other posters - 4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.

They might as well focus their efforts on a PC port of GTA V.

Wow, I've been waiting for so long for this to happen, it almost feels like it's too late. The interest has waned. My list of games to play has long since morphed and expanded and thereby pushed this title out of relevancy. I'm not sure if I would buy into it now. There is too much other exciting stuff waiting for me.

IceForce:
4 years, it's been.

That's a very long time to finally get around to making a PC version, especially since Rockstar don't take that long making PC versions of their other games.

Stranger's Wrath released in 2004 on the original Xbox, the PC version got released in 2010, 2012 if you count the HD version.

Brütal Legend, from 2009 and got released on PC last year.

Lords of Shadow, from 2010 and it got released on PC last year too.

One thing I've learned from PC ports, is that it's never "late" to port any game to PC :)

It's never too late. A great game doesn't become irrelevant after 4 years.
I'm looking forward to this, whenever it may appear :)

SKBPinkie:
4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.

I don't understand this logic. 4 years is not a long time to lose interest in something that you didn't have the opportunity to experience. The game still looks better that a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games and it plays well too. It can only look better on the PC.

Adam Jensen:

SKBPinkie:
4 years is way too long of a gap. No one cares at this point.

I don't understand this logic. 4 years is not a long time to lose interest in something that you didn't have the opportunity to experience. The game still looks better that a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games and it plays well too. It can only look better on the PC.

Isn't this the same logic for every game in response and return though?, some people are just burn out on hope or have played the game by now.

For those that haven't well that's a fault of their own, it'd be like a PC player saying "wow you've not played a PC game because you didn't bother to build/buy a PC?", but replace that with by now a cheap console.

To me it was a great game 4 years ago, today I just don't see it getting any more interesting, mods aren't going to make it factually amazing, it only applies to those that like the mods in general, the original game was great on it's own anyway.

All I can see possibly coming from this if it did actually release is the glorification of a texture and (like the recent Crysis one as a prime example)resolution mod.

I understand the logic perfectly, I also understand what you're trying to say but really it has been 4 years now and 4 years can be long in gaming time, just look at Skyrim and 2008 titles, when a game is at least 4-6 and onwards it's seen as old by many, to those that haven't even experienced it, probably not to them.

Will buy in a heartbeat, provided they aren't going to be charging $60 for it.

Already have it on PS3, no sense paying full price twice.

It doesn't matter how long I have to wait for PC port..I will play it if it gets ported and if it won't I won't simple as that.

I waited 12 years for Diablo 3 so having to wait for games to come out is a non issue (I do realize that the phrase has nothing to do with the "PC port" fact, but still).

I'd prefer a sequel personally, but a port is good news all the same because it at least means Rockstar hasn't forgotten about the brand entirely, it's a shame it's taken this long but hopefully this means that it will be a better quality port than Gta 4 was.

On the one hand, yay, my PS3 version was scratched to hell so not only is there a possibility of playing it again but playing it with mods no less. On the other hand, if it releases (with DLC) for anything more than thirty, it'll be a generous Steam Sale when I finally get it. Since you don't pa $60 for a four year old game no matter how great it is.

Dear gawd I hope this is real, I missed out on the console versions. This will be cool (and cheaper)

This game used to be one of the only reasons I was sad that my xbone jr crapped in the sheets. I never saw the point in paying a premium for a sub-par experience, a truly good game ages like a fine wine.

Remember how awful GTA IV's and Max Payne 3's optimization was? I bet they waited that much so the computers got more powerful and could run this thing.

Four years is probably too little to late if you were waiting on the port but it's never too late to port a great game.

If its true, i'll likely buy it if they're smart with the price.

I'll still buy it if it actually comes to PC. I love the game and think as long as the PC port turns out well enough, it would be worth the payment.

RealRT:
Remember how awful GTA IV's and Max Payne 3's optimization was?

What?? Max Payne 3's PC port looked great and ran great. Except for the excruciatingly unskippable cutscenes to disguise loading times, it was so much better than any of R*'s previous PC ports that it gave me great hope for GTA V on PC...

Hopefully that one happens faster than 4 fucking years.

I'd buy it. Much less hyped after all these years, but it's still a damn good sandbox nonetheless.

R* might plan to release it along with nexgten ports as well.

RealRT:
Remember how awful(...) Max Payne 3's optimization was?

No i don't. It ran pretty neat on my not-so-high-end PC.

I hope this is true, i've been waiting forever for them to come out with a PC version. I hope it will be with multiplayer and DLC intact, since the only reason I lost interest was because I couldn't play multiplayer with with Xbox friends (I have a PS3).

Guys, I don't care if it's been four years. The game is still fantastic and, most importantly, this may finally mean we'll see mods for the game. Even if I didn't still love the game, that would sure as shit renew my interest.

Well, unless the game stopped being enjoyable somehow, I don't really mind getting it now, seeing as I always have other games to play.

The real issue is that if this late port is a raging success, it just may re-enforce the idea of porting to PC's late to pick up the extra bits when a game has died on console, making the PC platform even more a secondary consideration than it already is.

Bit of a catch 22 actually, dont buy it and the idea is that the PC is a bad place to try market your games, buy it and it enforces the idea its cool to wait till the console interest has died then pick up some extra dosh from ... that platform.

Personally I would think that disregarding publishers / developers that make poor and bare bones ports of their titles and those who wait till long after the other platforms have had the title and finished with... support good ports of multi platform releases (especially if there is no delays for a specific platform) and PC titles, make the market look lucrative for those who treat the market with respect... and demonstrate that its not a market to trifle with, support it or gtfo :P

I am skipping RRR, little though the impact may be, as a tiny insignificant squeak of protest.

Definite buy for me. I've almost bought this game for PS3 so many times, but I just don't use my console often enough(Dragon's Dogma is about the only thing that can get me to turn it on these days).

i am gonna buy this immediately...
after it goes on sale on steam for like 10 bucks. i refuse to pay the 40 they will probably charge, not because i think the game hasn't aged well but because fuck you rockstar pc gaming is not even dying ironically anymore why do you hate money can we have timely pc version please.

Well, if it's true, that's a crappy thing to do.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I would have loved to play RDR a few years ago, and I still might enjoy it now (though I'd damn well expect a tremendous price cut, at this point.) But to release it four years later, after every detail of its plot has been discussed, after hundreds of Lets Plays and footage of its bugs and guides and walkthroughs and everything else has come out... To do that, now, is to treat the PC market like dogs who should be grateful for table scraps.

I know piracy on the PC is viewed as a problem. I know that making a worthwhile port isn't as fast or easy as some would like to think. That's a reason to wait six months, maybe a year.

Four years? Bite me, Rockstar. I was there when the original GTA came out, before you went 3D and became everyone's darling. Call me a whiny, privileged PC elitist if you must (though you're wrong); I think we deserve better than this. A proper announcement and an ETA while everyone was still playing it on the PS3 and 360, at the very least. You know, what we're now calling "last generation" systems?

Sheesh.

They are releasing the hostages every way you turn :D

Zac Jovanovic:
They are releasing the hostages every way you turn :D

Wait there's a news article on here about real life hostages?, not those made up minority based imaginary ones?.

Unless it's really about the minority based made up ones then really there's still many hostages had by many a side.

on the one hand farking finaly,

on the other hand rockstar ....

Callate:
Well, if it's true, that's a crappy thing to do.
Four years? Bite me, Rockstar. I was there when the original GTA came out, before you went 3D and became everyone's darling. Call me a whiny, privileged PC elitist if you must (though you're wrong); I think we deserve better than this. A proper announcement and an ETA while everyone was still playing it on the PS3 and 360, at the very least. You know, what we're now calling "last generation" systems?

Sheesh.

what he said.

RealRT:
Remember how awful GTA IV's and Max Payne 3's optimization was? I bet they waited that much so the computers got more powerful and could run this thing.

Max Payne 3 was optimized badly? Well that's news to me.

I already played RDR but its been a while enough so that I feel like a replay for this occasion is justified.Also I would love to finally play Undead Nightmare.

Callate:

Sheesh.

Well to be fair steam wasn't a big enough deal 4 years ago to warrant rewritting the god forsaken code that RDR had simply too much of a loss.In terms of revenue

I really don't care by this point. I got my fill of old West action with Call of Juarez already and I stopped waiting for this game to come to PC years ago. Unless they sell it for 10 dollars or less, I'll pass.

If you break my heart again Rockstar...

...I will have such revenges on you,
That all the world shall--I will do such things,--
What they are, yet I know not: but they shall be
The terrors of the earth.

They better give it an appropriate price for a 4 year old game, like 29.99 at most.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here