2014 Dota 2 Championship Has Biggest Prize Pool in Esports History

2014 Dota 2 Championship Has Biggest Prize Pool in Esports History

international

The International 2014, the Dota 2 championship, approaches $4 million in prize money.

In July, 16 Dota 2 teams will play for the biggest prize pool in esports history. The large prize pool is a result of player purchases of The Compendium, a virtual, interactive book that tracks tournament statistics and sometimes rewards player with cosmetic, in-game items. Each $10 Compendium purchase contributes $2.50 to the prize money for the Dota 2 international tournament.

Valve released the Compendium for purchase on May 9th and started the International 2014 prize pool at $1.6 million. Thanks to player purchases of Compendiums, that prize money has increased to nearly $4 million at the time of this article.

Beyond offering greater monetary prizes to the best Dota 2 players in the world this July, Valve includes a number of rewards for the community as stretch goals are reached. Players have already unlocked prizes such as a new game mode and chat emoticons, but five of the thirteen stretch goals remain. At this point, the maximum stretch goal of $6 million actually seems attainable.

The International 2014 will take place from July 18-21 at Key Arena in Seattle. Tickets to the event were sold out within an hour, but hundreds of thousands of viewers are expected to watch the tournament live, if viewership of The International 2013 is any indication.

Source: dota2.com

And people used to say you can't earn a living off playing video games. That's a lot of money too, even for extravagant tournament standards. I guess you could even say that no one has ever done that? No one has ever done that in the history of DOTA?

Sorry, had to

I fully expect the prize pool to hit 5 million this year. I know I'm going to have a blast watching Ti4 regardless though.

Man I wish they would calm down with the TI prizes, try to divide some of that money among other tournaments.

softclocks:
Man I wish they would calm down with the TI prizes, try to divide some of that money among other tournaments.

Why should they? There's already other tournaments that use the same method has valve's with compendium milestones. TI is just bigger and with much better rewards for players so thats why people with shed so much cash into 1 big tournament.

softclocks:

Why should they? There's already other tournaments that use the same method has valve's with compendium milestones. TI is just bigger and with much better rewards for players so thats why people with shed so much cash into 1 big tournament.

And with all that money Valve is still incapable of actually finishing the game, remaining hero ports and custom game modes are still to be released.

I am super proud that E-Sports can boast such a prize pool.

My only grip however is that is tends to be so top heavy that even teams that make top 6 will get barely anything compared to the winner (which is fine but it means teams rely more on getting sponsors than tournament money)

Is it just me or is the International and the LCS in a prize money arms race?

Epic_Bubble:
I am super proud that E-Sports can boast such a prize pool.

My only grip however is that is tends to be so top heavy that even teams that make top 6 will get barely anything compared to the winner (which is fine but it means teams rely more on getting sponsors than tournament money)

one of the things most people want valve to do with the extra money is spread it among all the teams at the event, since just getting there is a huge achievement. if they decided to give the bottom 8 teams(who got nothing last year) 50k each they still would have the biggest price pool ever to spread among the top 8 teams.

oh and valve just casually made 7 million dollars, even if most of that covers the cost of running the event, could they maybe hire a guy to curate their store?

MCerberus:

It's not an arms race. It's Russia vs Crimea at this point :))

http://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments

wolf_isthebest:

MCerberus:

It's not an arms race. It's Russia vs Crimea at this point :))

http://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments

The chart doesn't take into account that LCS teams are salaried as well.

Wasn't the prize pool for one of League's season 3 tourneys $8,000,000?

It annoys me that when any site reports on dota, they seem to conveniently forget that LoL exists.

Nvm, I'm completely wrong.

im surprised Valve has found a way to reward both customers and people playing in the tournament

also they just earned almost 12 million dollars, so theres also that

gnihton:
Wasn't the prize pool for one of League's season 3 tourneys $8,000,000?

It annoys me that when any site reports on dota, they seem to conveniently forget that LoL exists.

Nvm, I'm completely wrong.

Ironic considering the newsie who posted this article has a picture of Akali. I guess it's a lesson not to assume. Because you know what happens when you assume...

softclocks:

Valve only runs one International per year, the others are from other organisations, so there's no need to divide up the prize pool.

On another note, I'm completely supporting Fnatic (as usual). Yes, they probably won't win, but after four years of standing behind them and playing with them on occasion, I'm not budging in my support.

SomeLameStuff:

softclocks:

Valve only runs one International per year, the others are from other organisations, so there's no need to divide up the prize pool.

It's not good for the scene.

It's not as bad as it was around TI1 and 2, but a lot of teams do buck-all year round since there's not enough stuff to keep them motivated.

Vici's like the only team that's shown conistent form...

softclocks:

Great idea. Then we can get Nintendo to give money to Microsoft because Pokemon sells really well.

Edit: Sorry, guy I quoted originally. I quoted the wrong post.

Itsthefuzz:

Ironic considering the newsie who posted this article has a picture of Akali. I guess it's a lesson not to assume. Because you know what happens when you assume...

I've learnt that it's a safe assumption that the majority of people on this site don't know what they're talking about.

Besides, I think I may have been partially right. I think the total of all the prize pools of the season 3 tourneys was five or eight million, there were at least two or three, and one of them was a bit over $2,000,000.

softclocks:

SomeLameStuff:

softclocks:

It's not as bad as it was around TI1 and 2, but a lot of teams do buck-all year round since there's not enough stuff to keep them motivated.

Not enough? There's dozens of tournaments all year round. Starladder, Dreamhack Winter AND Summer, ESL, MLG TKO, WPC, D2CL, The GIGABYTE Challenge, the JoinDota league, the new Beyond The Summit tournament... you just have to look hard enough.

softclocks:

SomeLameStuff:

softclocks:

Since when are events like Dreamleague and Starladder not enough to keep teams motivated?

Edit: Seems SomeLameStuff beat me to the punch. ;p

I'm also not sure about the complaints that Valve isn't doing anything with Dota 2, there's just been a major bug fix update, there's regular content and quality of life updates, and last year saw 10 heroes being added to the game, each of them raising the bar for Dota 2 model and animation quality at that.

MCerberus:

The chart doesn't take into account that LCS teams are salaried as well.

And so are many DOTA2 teams. Na'Vi, Alliance, Fnatic etc all get salaries. What's the point?

softclocks:

With "a lot" you probably mean Alliance and Na'Vi. Because I can't think of any other team that showed a big inconsistency with their performance during TI3 and the months after.

DK became way stronger and had only slight problems to adjust to 6.79 (and they are hands down the biggest favorite for the title atm). Invictus Gaming went through a bit of a slump but are still strong. Orange and other asian teams suffer from DK hogging some of the best players there, roster changes are a bitch to deal with. LGD.cn and Vici are still strong. We have Newbee and Titan on the rise. In the western scene Empire and EG rose and are in their best form since forever. Fnatic got a bit stronger but are still as incosistant as ever. C9 (Kaipi, whatevs) formed and rose to glory (direct invite). Then we have a few underdogs (Team DOG).

Liquid had a rather weak performance before TI3 and after they changed rosters and seemed to have in team problems. Mouz well apart after Synderen joined them and their really shitty TI3 performance.

Aside from that I don't really see how TI3 affects other tournaments. Aside from Alliance and Na'Vi most wester and asian teams can't afford to sit on their asses and need to deliver.

Well i know im buying the compendium when my paycheck comes, it's not really expensive but there's a lot of cool stuff and i like to support esports :) Here's to some epic matches

SomeLameStuff:

softclocks:

SomeLameStuff:

Not enough? There's dozens of tournaments all year round. Starladder, Dreamhack Winter AND Summer, ESL, MLG TKO, WPC, D2CL, The GIGABYTE Challenge, the JoinDota league, the new Beyond The Summit tournament... you just have to look hard enough.

I never said taht there weren't other tournaments.

I'm saying that those other tournaments aren't enough to keep teams motivated.

Even Starladder faces a ton of drop outs and walkover matches.

I can't help feeling that Valve took a pretty hefty cut of that $10. Couldn't they have spent twice as much on prize money and only made half the profit, for an event that will presumably make them a fair amount of revenue on marketing value alone?

Flatfrog:
I can't help feeling that Valve took a pretty hefty cut of that $10. Couldn't they have spent twice as much on prize money and only made half the profit, for an event that will presumably make them a fair amount of revenue on marketing value alone?

I don't mind Valve making hand over fist when they do such a fantastic job of supporting the game and the e-sports community. Besides, you get a lot more benefit from having the compendium than you do from just having a normal ticket and BP boosters.

On top of what Denamic said, it is also worth noting that Valve has done all their The Internationals so far sponsorless, they financed the full thing out of their own pocket. They even pay Twitch to disable ads during the event on the official channel, the backs of monitors get stickers over them to hide brand names, and so on.

Compared to the LCS which has sponsors left right and centre. So yeah, I feel that Valve is free to take 75% of the Compendium sales because hosting such a major event out of their own pocket, in Seattle's largest venue, can't be cheap at all. Not to mention the initial $1.6m prize pool which also comes from them.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)