James Franco Will Direct/Star In Biopic of The Room's Tommy Wiseau

James Franco Will Direct/Star In Biopic of The Room's Tommy Wiseau

Because of course he will

Hollywood's two most prominent "I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not" icons - actor James Franco and bizarre cult film The Room - are about to collide. The quixotic star will direct a feature film based on The Disaster Artist, a book chronicling the making of the film, and will also star as its enigmatic director Tommy Wiseau.

An independent romantic drama originally made in 2003, The Room featured Wiseau himself in the lead role of a well-meaning man whose life is upended by an affair between his best friend and his girlfriend. The film is notorious for its bad acting, bizarre sitcom-like staging, random story events from nowhere (a subplot about a drug dealer comes and goes without explanation, Wiseau and his friends hang out in an alley tossing a football around in tuxedos for no reason), and Wiseau's yet-undeciphered accent. Originally popular as an inside joke among comedians and industry folk, it caught on with the midnight movie circuit (along with the internet-reviewer crowd) and now has a passionate cult following.

No date or wider casting has been announced. The Disaster Artist was co-written by actor Greg Sestero, who played Mark in the film.

Source: Grantland

You know, it's a shame low content posts are cracked down on so hard here because all my post would say is, "what."

This should be interesting. My favourite part in the original is when they swapped out the actor for one of the supporting characters in the middle of the film, and didn't bother to re-shoot any of his previous scenes, so you have this fellow doing a whole bunch of indignant ranting, and no one watching the film has any idea who he's supposed to be.

Is this really something that has to happen? Doesn't it rob The Room from its aura of baffling to know more about it?

Say what you will about James Franco, no one can deny he has a sense of humor.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I perceive that to be an attempt to draw on the internet's hatred for publicity. Because you know something like this would be reviewed by online reviewers everywhere. It's bound to be successful in the "we hate it so much we want to yell at it"-way. Bait for raging reviewers, basically.

Incidentally, it has been convincingly theorized that Tommy Wiseau is of Polish descent, but of course he'll never tell...

Okay, you can come out now. I know I'm on some kind of prank show. No one in their right mind would actually do this. Where is the camera crew? Haha! Great joke...

Guys? The jig is up. Guys?

Guys?

Actually I can very much see why this was going to happen.

If you haven't read the disaster artist I highly recommend it, it's an amazing account of something truly horrendously bizarre yet somehow beautiful.

I deed not hit hur its not tru its bulshet I ded not hit her I ded not

Oh hai mark

It's like... failception... an awful, pointless actor writing, directing and starring in a movie about an awful, pointless actor writing, directing and starring in a movie. A really, really bad movie.

good reason as any to post this

the room, certainly the citizen kane of movies

cojo965:
You know, it's a shame low content posts are cracked down on so hard here because all my post would say is, "what."

Second that.

I might tack "why?" on the end, though.

This is some weird stuff, man. Seriously weird. I don't even...what? Why? You're tearing me apart Franco!

Wow. This could potentially be a very interesting film. I'm looking forward to this

I can't believe that I'm going to say this...This feels like a perfect casting...

Ha ha ha, what a story Bob~

That said:

TheMemoman:
Is this really something that has to happen? Doesn't it rob The Room from its aura of baffling to know more about it?

I doubt it'll be an honest telling of the story, considering Wiseau started claiming, nay, swearing that the film was meant to be a black comedy AFTER it got panned by every critic in the business.

It seems a little early to be rebooting Ed Wood, but I suppose if anyone's going to fill Johnny Depps shoes James Franco seems oddly appropriate.

Pedro The Hutt:
I doubt it'll be an honest telling of the story, considering Wiseau started claiming, nay, swearing that the film was meant to be a black comedy AFTER it got panned by every critic in the business.

It's based off Greg Sestero's novel, which is literally the friendship between him and Tommy and the production of the room as accurately told as Greg's memory would let him. I'm fairly excited to see this film now.

TheMemoman:

Potentially. On the other hand, it could contribute to the aura of baffling.

Can you imagine a chronicle of the actress's breakdown as Wiseau does those ass-shots over and over and over and...?

Tim Burton did this with Ed Wood and it turned out to be a very good movie. Open minded about this.

katsabas:
Tim Burton did this with Ed Wood and it turned out to be a very good movie. Open minded about this.

Agreed. I mean, I can't imagine anyone else who could pull this off, anyway...

James Franco would be the second-best Tommy Wiseau, which given how "there can be only one Tommy Wiseau", that's saying something...

Now, to wait for the premiere date...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here