Dragon Age: Inquisition Collector's Edition Announced at $170

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age: Inquisition Collector's Edition Announced at $170

dai

The Dragon Age: Inquistion Collector's Edition includes plenty of content, but at a hefty price.
Dragon Age: Inquisition releases on October 7th (October 10th for Europe) and the Collector's Edition will give players a lot of extra toys.

BioWare returns to the world of Thedas in the third game of the Dragon Age franchise on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Fans that are willing to spend $170 for the Collector's Edition will have a lot on their hands. The physical content includes:

• a cloth map of Thedas
  • a tarot card deck
  • a six-piece lock pick set
  • a quill and inkpot
  • a 40-page Inquisitor's Journal
  • Orlesian Coins

The package includes the Deluxe Edition (normally $70), which gives players the game soundtrack, weapons, gear, and cosmetic items.

Marc Darrah, Executive Producer of the Dragon Age franchise, revealed the Collector's Edition on his Twitter earlier today. Darrah announced that pre-orders were available through GameStop websites in the US and Europe. He also stated that the Collector's Edition would be a limited run and that it would be exclusive to GameStop.

dai collectors edition

The price increase from the regular or even the deluxe edition of the game is steep. After that, fans still have to consider if they have space for all that stuff, even if some of it is very unique for a collector's edition. The lock picking set is intended to open a hidden compartment of the collector's edition, rather than to help fans recover from the expense of the game.

For players that can survive without a crate of swag, the regular ($60) and deluxe ($70) edition will still provide you with a full Inquisiting experience.

Source: Twitter

A set of lock picks just for the box itself?

I won't be surprised if there's going to be a bit of a backlash against that. If it doesn't work on anything but the box it's a stupid little addition, if it does it's, well, criminal. Yeah, I wouldn't call that clever.

Other than that, eh, not enough to warrant a price like that to be fair.

Andraste's flaming ass, that is so not worth the asking price!

Yeah that's a lot of stuff, but it's a lot of useless stuff. I would much rather get something that can actually be used in game, if I was crazy enough to pay that much for it.

Cowabungaa:
A set of lock picks just for the box itself?

I won't be surprised if there's going to be a bit of a backlash against that. If it doesn't work on anything but the box it's a stupid little addition, if it does it's, well, criminal. Yeah, I wouldn't call that clever.

Other than that, eh, not enough to warrant a price like that to be fair.

Honestly I expect a backlash against anything BioWare does anymore.

From what I have been reading the cost of Collector's Edition seems to go with what is included in the Collector's Edition, but its a little much for my tastes. For I found this description of the case

The case is individually wrapped in faux reptile skin, has the mark of the Inquisitor stamped on top in gold foil, and the interior is fitted with and imprinted red silk.

If they had a version with just the Tarot cards for they sound the most interesting thing in the package to me, I might buy that.

Tank207:

Yeah that's a lot of stuff, but it's a lot of useless stuff. I would much rather get something that can actually be used in game, if I was crazy enough to pay that much for it.

Then the Deluxe version is all you would be interested in (which is what I am planning on getting) for that contains all the digital content for the game.

Ya know, I was pretty eager to whore myself to Bioware for this. Yeah, it's a bunch of overpriced, useless stuff, but sometimes it's fun to buy a bunch of overpriced, useless stuff. Plus, Dragon Age is one of the few series I'm truly passionate about.

BUT FOR SOME SEEMINGLY RANDOM REASON the PC edition of this is not available in Europe.

Excellent. You could've had my stash of money, but apparently you don't need it then. So I suppose it's the standard edition for me.

Aside from the cloth map I'm not seeing anything particurlarly interesting.
The war pieces, the badge and the coins are kind of neat.
But man, that's a lot of moneys. Is that just a flat box with details painted on it?
Not worth it to me, even if I was super way into Dragon Age.

captcha: can't have nice things
Even captcha thinks it's expensive.

Pfft. It's a Collector's Edition, of course it's overpriced

That said, I'm sold. Give it to me.

Dragon Age, how could I deny my wuv?

Zburator:

Dragon age 2?

Mass effect 3?

Star wars the old republic... "not being bloody single player argh~"

"Yes... i want kotor 3... with exile and raven kicking ass with that old lady saving the universe from the sith in deep space... YEAH SCREW SWTOR'S STORY"

How can you pre-order a $170 game? Haven't we seen how bad an idea that has been the last few years? I loved DA1 and liked DA2 more than most, but you've got to admit that today there is ZERO guarantee of quality for any game from any company! How many Aliens or SimCity games do we need to get screwed by before we wait and see what the game is really like before giving the company our money? Some of these people will be the ones screaming the loudest on release day about how they were conned, mark my words. I hate to say it, but it will be all there fault for buy an unknown product sight unseen.

TravelerSF:
Ya know, I was pretty eager to whore myself to Bioware for this. Yeah, it's a bunch of overpriced, useless stuff, but sometimes it's fun to buy a bunch of overpriced, useless stuff. Plus, Dragon Age is one of the few series I'm truly passionate about.

BUT FOR SOME SEEMINGLY RANDOM REASON the PC edition of this is not available in Europe.

Excellent. You could've had my stash of money, but apparently you don't need it then. So I suppose it's the standard edition for me.

Count me disappointed too.
Though I'm not completely surprised.
I was pissed off the moment I found out that the PC Deluxe Edition was digital download only (and only through Origin no less). Why give physical copies to the consoles and not the PC??!!
I'd have paid the extra for the boxed copy (I really want that Halla mount) but thanks to whoever made the dumb decision, I'm getting the bog standard edition.

All my previous DA saves are PC (though the fact there probably won't be a save import doesn't make that such an issue anymore), but I couldn't live without being able to mod the game, because I guaran-damn-tee you that Bioware haven't got any better at modelling hair, especially for females _

It's like they don't want our money.

Edit:
Also, if they manage to create another level like The Fade in DA: Origins, I want the option to mod that bastard away. Skip the Fade was the best mod I ever installed!

captainsavvy:

Also, if they manage to create another level like The Fade in DA: Origins, I want the option to mod that bastard away. Skip the Fade was the best mod I ever installed!

I honestly never really had much of a problem with the Fade. It was actually one of my favorite areas back when I first played it. The Deep Roads was the part that made me want to bash my head against a wall. It just really started grating on my patience with how long it went on.

I'm with you on hoping the game is modable. I've got Origins modded to the point where it looks like a completely different game... that is until you get to a pre-rendered cinematic. Half of my time in that game was probably spent just trying out different mods.

I need me some System Requirements guys!
Gotsta know if my older CPU can handle the REALNESS

Nah but seriously though, I wanna know if a core 2 quad can hold up these days.

Tank207:
I honestly never really had much of a problem with the Fade. It was actually one of my favorite areas back when I first played it. The Deep Roads was the part that made me want to bash my head against a wall. It just really started grating on my patience with how long it went on.

I'm with you on hoping the game is modable. I've got Origins modded to the point where it looks like a completely different game... that is until you get to a pre-rendered cinematic. Half of my time in that game was probably spent just trying out different mods.

urrrghhh the Deep Roads... don't remind me.
I had exactly the same reaction to the Deep Roads bit in DA2 as well -_-

Here's hoping we've seen the last of the Deep Roads.
Can't waste all that shiny new Engine power on underground caverns, can we? *she says hopefully*

i64ever:
How can you pre-order a $170 game? Haven't we seen how bad an idea that has been the last few years? I loved DA1 and liked DA2 more than most, but you've got to admit that today there is ZERO guarantee of quality for any game from any company! How many Aliens or SimCity games do we need to get screwed by before we wait and see what the game is really like before giving the company our money? Some of these people will be the ones screaming the loudest on release day about how they were conned, mark my words. I hate to say it, but it will be all there fault for buy an unknown product sight unseen.

All of what you're saying, and also the way they're more or less stabbing their PC fans in the back.

I actually thought DA2 had some major improvements over its predecessor, although the game clearly wasn't ready for release when it was pushed out the door, yet I'm having some major doubts about DAI. So far everything released has just been to vague and generic to constitute any sort of guarantee that this will be a good game.

After the DA2 alpha-esque release, the trainwreck that was Mass Effect 3's development, and the way originality was filtered out SWTOR in favor of WoW mechanics and macrotransactions... I just don't see how even the most hardcore fans aren't at least a bit cautious about this.

Well, deluxe edition for me then. The lockpick set is very cool but so not worth an extra $100 as I have little interest in the rest of the set.

TravelerSF:

Has it been confirmed to be not released in Europe or they haven't gotten around to updating their webpages fully? For when the Deluxe Edition was first announced it took several days for it be become present on all webpages.

Sanunes:

TravelerSF:

Has it been confirmed to be not released in Europe or they haven't gotten around to updating their webpages fully? For when the Deluxe Edition was first announced it took several days for it be become present on all webpages.

I tweeted Marc Darrah about this. He said it (PC version) "should be available in many countries in Europe". Sounds odd for there to be a delay like that. Even the ads on Gamestop websites show PS4 and Xbox One version along with the print "Also available on Xbox360 and Playstation 3" with no mention of a PC version.

captainsavvy:

Tank207:

urrrghhh the Deep Roads... don't remind me.
I had exactly the same reaction to the Deep Roads bit in DA2 as well -_-

Here's hoping we've seen the last of the Deep Roads.
Can't waste all that shiny new Engine power on underground caverns, can we? *she says hopefully*

Heh, I downloaded a completely broken set of weapon and armor mods that I dubbed, "Deep Roads Equipment". With each character able to take on an army on their own, I sent each party member off in random directions to fill in the map. During that time, I went and ate lunch occasionally checking if my party members were humping wall yet.(DA1 only, the camera sticks too close to the character in the sequel)

Oh crap. Guess I need to start saving. Why does it have to be exclusive to GameStop? Ugh. I don't like going there, but this looks pretty cool. I'll take that map. It will look great next to my map of Drangleic, which is also cloth.

i64ever:

easy I preorder from gamestop and I have a week to read reviews before I have to pick it up at which time I can say I don't want it and get my money back:) seriously guys preordering should only be done if you know youll like the game or the CE has something worth the price.(the defiance CE came with a messenger bag that's made out of gortex and thus almost indestructible:)

OT: sold if only for the chest which im sure I can turn into a storage case for my other games:)

TravelerSF:

I tweeted Marc Darrah about this. He said it (PC version) "should be available in many countries in Europe". Sounds odd for there to be a delay like that. Even the ads on Gamestop websites show PS4 and Xbox One version along with the print "Also available on Xbox360 and Playstation 3" with no mention of a PC version.

According to Aaryn Flynn its going to be available on all platforms.

Link

draigodragon:

Zburator:

Dragon age 2?

Mass effect 3?

Star wars the old republic... "not being bloody single player argh~"

"Yes... i want kotor 3... with exile and raven kicking ass with that old lady saving the universe from the sith in deep space... YEAH SCREW SWTOR'S STORY"

Dragon Age 2: Not that bad, given you got Legacy, Mark Of The Assassin, and the Mage and Rogue Item Packs like I did.

Mass Effect 3: Come on, dude, the ending we have now is at least better than the one we had; (Synthesis)

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic: Amen! So do I!

GamerMage:
[quote="draigodragon" post="7.849921.20992687"]

Dragon Age 2: Not that bad, given you got Legacy, Mark Of The Assassin, and the Mage and Rogue Item Packs like I did.

Mass Effect 3: Come on, dude, the ending we have now is at least better than the one we had; (Synthesis)

And it's my problem with Bioware, to have a good experience, you have to buy DLC (even the EC for ME3 must be buyed now). I don't understand why i should buy DLC for an average game to make it better. DLC must be a mean to extend the fun, not improving the base game. Well, it's just my opinion.

170 dollars for a game about which i know nothing beside pre rendered cutscenes ? How is the IA of the ennemis and the companion for example ? Or the inventory management ? What are the mechanics of the game ? They spoke about multiplayer, what about it ?
I'll nor preorder from them, just based on their past games.

Rodolphe Kourkenko:

GamerMage:
[quote="draigodragon" post="7.849921.20992687"]

And it's my problem with Bioware, to have a good experience, you have to buy DLC (even the EC for ME3 must be buyed now). I don't understand why i should buy DLC for an average game to make it better. DLC must be a mean to extend the fun, not improving the base game. Well, it's just my opinion.

170 dollars for a game about which i know nothing beside pre rendered cutscenes ? How is the IA of the ennemis and the companion for example ? Or the inventory management ? What are the mechanics of the game ? They spoke about multiplayer, what about it ?
I'll nor preorder from them, just based on their past games.

I concur. While I'm still likely going to preorder it (The Deluxe 70$ edition, not the 170$ one. Far too pricey for me.) I get what you're saying.

Tank207:

Agreed. Moreover, the most blaring omission is the lack of the Season Pass. For $170, I should never have to pay for another piece of DLC ever again!

Rodolphe Kourkenko:
to have a good experience, you have to buy DLC (even the EC for ME3 must be buyed now)

If you mean to say that you have to buy the Extended Cut DLC you are 100% incorrect. The EC is free.

The lock picking set is intended to open a hidden compartment of the collector's edition, rather than to help fans recover from the expense of the game.

I nearly spat my drink at that - since I have three essays to write in three days, the chuckle is appreciated.

OT

Very nifty, very nifty indeed. Oh if only I weren't so bloody poor....

Also: has anyone tried that Dragon Age: Keep thing for determining the effect of previous game choices? I'm planning on getting this for the PS4 (somehow) so I can't really port any saves over from the first game and this site has scared me off from the second.

Wow. Half a months rent.

Hahahahha. How about no.

Well, they definitely know the target audience for a $170 collector's edition: crazy people.

No offense to anyone though because I am definitely getting this.

So they're not holding a party member hostage as DLC like they did with Sebastian in DAII and Javik in ME3?

Creedsareevil:
Wow. Half a months rent.

Hahahahha. How about no.

You have a very cheap apartment. :P

I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 for close to $100, and it turned out to be one of the worst purchases I have ever made. The game isn't worth it. Neither is the bonus content.

EDIT:
This looks worse. A lot of tat that will be used for a few minutes and then forgotten. The game will probably suck too... When it comes to Bioware I stopped being an optimist. I've been hurt too many times.

To Australians it is just 110 dollars more!

Ah, what am I smoking?!
If it is 170 dollars in the US, it means it is going to be 210 dollars over here.

As much as I would love to pick this us a well, this is not worth that much money.
For Australian price I would only get this for $150. Pff, even then I'm quite the sucker.

All I hope ... please allow this game to be good.
Please get over the thing that was Dragon Age 2.

Dragonlayer:

Also: has anyone tried that Dragon Age: Keep thing for determining the effect of previous game choices? I'm planning on getting this for the PS4 (somehow) so I can't really port any saves over from the first game and this site has scared me off from the second.

Sorry for having no more information on this topic, but I am also very interested in that website. Especially since all my Dragon Age saves are on the Xbox 360, and I plan to grab it on PS4 (If it is good).

I hope with the whole website, you can either create all your saves on there or grab the saves from your original experience on the Xbox (By connecting both PSN and XBL accounts).

Still, either way I hope they can grab my created Warden and Hawk ... since they said that those two may show up in Inquisition.

So what is that, about $300 in Australia and New Zealand? Usually collectors editions are around $210, so I'd hate to see the regional pricing on this new, super special awesome edition.

DirgeNovak:
So they're not holding a party member hostage as DLC like they did with Sebastian in DAII and Javik in ME3?

Creedsareevil:
Wow. Half a months rent.

Hahahahha. How about no.

You have a very cheap apartment. :P

Nope, they've said as much prior. I mean, I'm sure it doesn't mean dick if enough time elapses, but none of them are going to be locked away as far as we know based on the statements they've made.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here