Roberto Orci Will Direct Star Trek III

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Roberto Orci Will Direct Star Trek III

orci

Controversial screenwriter will replace JJ Abrams for third installment of the rebooted franchise

With JJ Abrams currently occupied with That Other Star Movie over at Disney, someone else is going to have to take the reins for the third installment of Paramount's polarizing but profitable Star Trek reboot series. Now, after weeks of rumors, Variety reports that someone will be Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the previous two installments with then-partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof.

No plot, returning cast or release date have been announced for the film. This will mark Orci's first ever directing credit, solo or otherwise, and also his first major venture after parting (professional) ways with former partner Alex Kurtzman (who has similarly moved on as director of Sony's Spider-Man spin-off, Venom.) The two men started their careers as writer/producers for Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert's Hercules and Xena TV series before graduating to features. In addition to the Trek reboot, they were also responsible for the first two Transformers movies, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Island, among others.

Orci is a sought-after talent but also an often controversial figure in Hollywood, at one point infamous for peppering his (since deleted) Twitter feed with 9/11 conspiracy theories and political rants. He also lost more than a few boosters among Trek fandom when he picked a fight on a message board.

Source: Variety

Is it possible for a grown man to cry tears of blood or should I go to the dr?

I'm not going to hold my breath this doesn't look good at all

Wow. This is going to be bad. Like, REALLY bad. This is going to make Man of Steel look like a freaking work of art level of bad. Are Paramount actively trying to kill off Star Trek?

I can't wait for this movie!

The fallout surrounding it is going to be magnificent.

Well, I thought the first reboot was action-packed nonsense and couldn't be bothered to see the second, so I'm hardly distraught at this news.

However, I do mourn the loss of Star Trek as a series that anyone cares about. Because obviously, Hollywood couldn't give a rat's arse any more.

To boldly go where no Trek has gone before: To be considered worse than Uhura's naked leaf dance movie ...

Say what you want about Abrams. At least he had a directing style that made the films mildly entertaining to watch. Here is hoping there is a bible he has to follow and that he shuts up and lets the DP and crew do their jobs.

I found myself with the thought that this will maybe tank the new Series and maybe, just maybe, we could get back to at least in part what Roddenberry imagined in Star Trek? We are in a new golden Age of Television, bring Trek back to where it belongs.

I know, that this wish is not close to reality. If this fails, ST will be dead for a long while. But thats how it is anyhow. There are Fan-Web-Shows that have more heart and art in them than the new movies.

Ronack:
To boldly go where no Trek has gone before: To be considered worse than Uhura's naked leaf dance movie ...

The Final Frontier is my favourite Star Trek film... I genuinely believe its a good film..it just had the misfortune of being written and directed by Shatner. Poor bastard never stood a chance. But yeah...this film'll probably be worse

On topic...ergh. But on the lighter note: lets take some bets!

Which of the Original Series films do you think that this new film will be based on?

I'm putting the safe money on Undiscovered Country
And a little bit on The Final Frontier

God I'm sick of reboots and origin stories. I wish people would just try to come up with something new and exciting, and sponsors and studios weren't so afraid of taking chances. Not everything needs to be a top earner, or even profit when they're sitting on a surplus and living in excess. Art and entertainment needs room and support to grow and flourish, and right now we're seeing creative embers snuffed out in favor of fueling marketable rehashes. Fuck the new Star Trek, Into Darkness was shit (albeit pretty looking shit) compared to just about any one of the original casts films. Christopher Pine is awful, Abrams is a self-appeasing fanboy hack that's living his wet dreams at the expense of the entire fandom. I've given up, the cast has no chemistry whatsoever, Yelchin and Urban being the exceptions to this mostly bland mess. I thought the first one was pretty good, but the second one helped expose it's otherwise forgivable flaws.

I just want something with a semblance of originality without seeing it masticated by the goddamn Hollywood machine.

God help all those who thought J.J. Abrams was the worst thing that could ever happen to the franchise.

How about this instead:
Star Trek: A Song of Phasers and Bat'leths edition, where factions fight for the power of the Alpha Quadrant.

Worf, who retired from Starfleet, goes to Qo'nos as the father of B'rel birds of prey, to amass a Klingon fleet to retake honor in the Federation.

William Riker (played by Sean Bean), in an attempt to free more clones of Picard from the Romulans, is beheaded and a young Picard swears vengeance. As the young Jean Luc wanders the quadrant he happens upon a grizzled Wesley Crusher who grudgingly takes him under his wing.

Meanwhile Vedek Kira Nerys, who prays to "The Sisko", forsees the return of the pah-wraiths and warns people that the space heat wave is coming (which requires 16 episodes of technobabble to explain).

Quark, who vows to never pay his debts, basically appears at random places making jokes and banging Orion slave girls.

-

Since Star Trek is never going to be remotely the same again, I think we should crowdsource this idea and get some real entertainment on the screen.

Icehearted:
...Yelchin and Urban being the exceptions to this mostly bland mess...

I honestly cannot think of anyone else who could play Bones any better.

Meanwhile, Star Trek is a mess, I could have maybe lived with Into Darkness if they had cast Naveen Andrews as Khan. I think he could have turned it around.

octafish:
Meanwhile, Star Trek is a mess, I could have maybe lived with Into Darkness if they had cast Naveen Andrews as Khan. I think he could have turned it around.

I've always envisioned an older Khan played by Willem Dafoe. Just think about it! Such magnificent madness. Would had been delicious... :(

Although how the reboot turned out to be, not even scenery chewing big names could save it.

I don't think the new Star Treks have been that bad, they're reasonably good sci-fi action films that would be better if they stopped simultaneously pretending they were Star Trek and being Abrams's Star Wars audition.

I think Orci taking over will be good in the long run because now it'll stop being good enough to get by and be bad enough that the suits consider starting over. Preferably with a new TV series, Star Trek always worked better there.

MovieBob:

Orci is a sought-after talent...

Why?

Well he couldn't do a worse job than Abrams...

MovieBob:
...who co-wrote the previous two installments with then-partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof.

...oh. Nevermind.

MovieBob:
responsible for the first two Transformers movies

That's not a credit, that's a war crime.

Maybe they'll be less lense flare? otherwise who knows where this is gonig to go in all honesty?

they're trusting Star Trek with a guy who's never directed before? Hoo-boy, this could turn out ugly if they ain't careful.

A bit too soon to cry end of the world eh? Plenty of directors have great debuts...

Scrumpmonkey:

MovieBob:

The first 2 transformers films brought in Billions of dollars, brought new people to the franchise, and ROTF was the biggest toy line for Hasbro, selling more than Beast Wars, Armada and even G1. DOTM brought even more fans to the series and made more money at the box office than ROTF.

Say what you want about Bay and His transformers films, but they have done more to the franchise than any cartoon or comic could ever do.

OT: I'm willing to give this guy a chance, as someone who enjoyed the first 2 Trek films, i'll see what new direction Orci can do with the franchise.

coheedswicked:

MovieBob:

Orci is a sought-after talent...

Why?

My question exactly. What. The. ****.

arc1991:

Scrumpmonkey:

MovieBob:

The first 2 transformers films brought in Billions of dollars, brought new people to the franchise, and ROTF was the biggest toy line for Hasbro, selling more than Beast Wars, Armada and even G1. DOTM brought even more fans to the series and made more money at the box office than ROTF.

Say what you want about Bay and His transformers films, but they have done more to the franchise than any cartoon or comic could ever do.

Like i said, war crime. The success of said Cinematic war crimes only makes them more heinous leading to calculated rip-offs like battleship.

Eh, I've always liked Abrams' Star Trek movies. The first one was a pretty neat spin on the franchise, while Into Darkness was not as good but still an entertaining film overall. God knows they were better than The Motionless Picture, at least. Hell, most of the original films were worse than them. Orci knows how to make a good popcorn flick, but Transformers made me cringe, so uh. We'll see I guess?

Well those certainly aren't writing credits to be proud of (though I like most of those movies, I will admit the writing was shit). But I'll withhold judgment on his directing until I see the actual movie. Who knows maybe he just wasn't in the right profession and his directing ends up being great. After all, I didn't think Clint Eastwood had it in him and he ended up directing some of the best movies I've ever seen.

arc1991:

Scrumpmonkey:

MovieBob:

OT: I'm willing to give this guy a chance, as someone who enjoyed the first 2 Trek films, i'll see what new direction Orci can do with the franchise.

But it was the action, CGI, and special effects that did all that, not the writing.

arc1991:

Stephanie Meyers's Twilight has sold over 120 million copies worldwide, translated into at least 38 different languages around the globe, consecutively set records as the biggest selling novels of 2008 on the USA Today Best-Selling Books list, have spent over 235 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list and spawned a film series that took in over $3.3 billion. Might as well as let her write the next season of Hannibal so that it picks up more viewers, eh?

RA92:
I can't wait for this movie!

The fallout surrounding it is going to be magnificent.

There's going to be a Plinkett review, an Escapist hour long podcast, the works! It's going to be joyous!

I mean apart from the whole death of cinema and Star Trek thing; but I choose to side with your positive take on this disaster! I've gone full circle on mourning and it's time to laugh about this whole mess.

TheMemoman:

There's going to be a Plinkett review, an Escapist hour long podcast, the works! It's going to be joyous!

And let's not forget the incredibly thoughtful essays on thoughtless movies by Film Critic Hulk! Yay!

Now there is no doubt the third Star Trek movie will suck. -_- If this thing fails epically and Orci still gets to work on other franchises, then I'm afraid it might be time to burn Hollywood to the ground, exterminate the hacks that have infected film-making, and rebuild the industry from scratch.

Orci helped run Transformers Prime, the best thing to come out of the reboot. He had nothing to do with Kahn II, and the first TF movie was decent. He's got enough brownie points built up for me to wait for the first trailer before I write this one off. Some of us should try that sometime.

person427:

arc1991:

Scrumpmonkey:

But it was the action, CGI, and special effects that did all that, not the writing.

Because Transformers is known to have "Amazing" writing right? I'm a fan of the cartoons but they are hardly written the best, the only 2 that had good writing was Beast Wars and TFPrime.

RA92:

arc1991:

Stephanie Meyers's Twilight has sold over 120 million copies worldwide, translated into at least 38 different languages around the globe, consecutively set records as the biggest selling novels of 2008 on the USA Today Best-Selling Books list, have spent over 235 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list and spawned a film series that took in over $3.3 billion. Might as well as let her write the next season of Hannibal so that it picks up more viewers, eh?

No idea how Stephanie did it, she must be some sort of witch >.>

But seriously most of them sales would have happened after the film and would of been like 12 years old... i hadn't even heard of Twilight until the films.

Transformers has built it's franchise over 30 years, and for the movies to bring in so much more into the franchise is a prety big achievement, the films had to be the way they are so they could appeal to everyone and not just the fans. I'mnot saying they are perfect but i'm sick of so many complaining about them. The movies have done nothing different that the cartoons don't do. Nothing spectacular in the writing department, but having giant transforming robots kicking the shit out of eachother.

CGAdam:
Orci helped run Transformers Prime, the best thing to come out of the reboot. He had nothing to do with Kahn II, and the first TF movie was decent. He's got enough brownie points built up for me to wait for the first trailer before I write this one off. Some of us should try that sometime.

^Also 100 and 10% this.

TFPrime was so good!

xD Sorry for the links, love the show!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook