Rumor: Screenshot Hints at Windows 9, 8.1 Update 2, Windows 365

Rumor: Screenshot Hints at Windows 9, 8.1 Update 2, Windows 365

Microsoft

Windows 365 could be a free or subscription-based Microsoft OS.

This is definitely "Welcome to RumorTown" territory, but Myce (formerly known as CDFreaks) supposedly has a genuine leaked Microsoft screenshot on its hands. The content of the screenshot, seen here, shows the Microsoft OS roadmap for the next 12 to 18 months.

The shot was sent into Myce by "Faikee," a known Windows/Microsoft information leaker. Seen in the screenshot are several Microsoft products, most of which have yet to be confirmed by the software giant.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 is listed, and it would be the next major 8.1 upgrade after the just-released Update 1. It's contents is still rumor at the moment, but it might include the return of the Start Menu.

Once Windows 8.1 is done with updates, we should expect Windows 9, which could be out as early as 2015. Even more interesting? The wording, specifically "Windows 9 & server & mobile edition," suggesting that the next version of Microsoft's OS will hit all devices at once. Office 2015 (also listed) would ship close to Windows 9 as well.

Last but not least? Windows 365, which...well, it could be a number of different things. It could be a free, watered-down version of Windows, or maybe it's slim subscription model OS (like Office 365). Personally, I hope it's a cloud version of Windows that can run on iOS or Android via an installed app.

Like I said up top, this is all rumor level for now, but hopefully we'll get more info on at least some of these products this summer.

I doubt anything good will come of 365. Then again, I'm not holding my breath on Windows 9 (though I'm sure I'll have to upgrade eventually if I want to keep gaming on my PC...).

If 365 is a watered down OS, it maybe Microsoft trying to out maneuver the current push towards linux by gamers in some parts of the PC space. They have already seemed to of at least acknowledged some devs gripes of the inefficiency of DX11 with the announcement of DX12.

Guess the naming department had a day off when it comes down to new Windows OS's.

0takuMetalhead:
Guess the naming department had a day off when it comes down to new Windows OS's.

More like a game of darts....Each developer throws a single dart and the sum is the number of the next windows release

Does anyone know why they keep making new versions of Windows every few years? Do we really need these ridiculous newfangled gadgets and menus?

frobalt:

0takuMetalhead:

More like a game of darts....Each developer throws a single dart and the sum is the number of the next windows release

Thank you for the good laugh, kudo's.

Zachary Amaranth:
I doubt anything good will come of 365. Then again, I'm not holding my breath on Windows 9 (though I'm sure I'll have to upgrade eventually if I want to keep gaming on my PC...).

You know.. funny story... many modern games have quite a few problems with windows 8. And what with Steam OS coming out...me thinks Windows may not be your 'go-to' option for gaming for some time.

Seriously Ms Windows 9...are you taking a page from the EA?

I just got me WIndows 7 and Really I see no reason to upgrade to 8...if I want a less functional less responsive machine with a gui that looks like trash...I'll load up WIndoows 95.

Barbas:
Does anyone know why they keep making new versions of Windows every few years?

Two reasons really.

- Some updates rework integral parts of the kernel and require a new version since it's no longer provides the same functionality, that's why they name it a new version instead of just another update on Windows 1.
- Microsoft does need money and as such they need to sell something every few years to ensure their continual work on the OS remains sustainable. There's alternatives certainly, but at the end of the day you do need some form of continual income. That's why they sell the new version.

Not saying the way Microsoft goes about it is in any way the best.

But you can't produce an OS without continually bringing out new versions. Ubuntu is at version 14 now, Mac OS X is at version 9 now (as in 10.9, they started at 10.0 for OS X because of raisins). And Windows is at version 6, 8 or 12 now (depending on how you're counting, 6 major version numbers (Windows 8.1 = 6.3), 8 as what they're calling it and 12 major commercial releases).

"Rumor: Screenshot confirms" - I know The Escapist isn't acknowledged for it's cutting edge journalism, tbh it's mocked almost as much as IGN these days, but this is a piss poor article that even a high-school rag wouldn't run with. Aside from the 7th grade writing, I could knock out a better "screenshot proof" on a dot-matrix printer.

BigTuk:

You know.. funny story... many modern games have quite a few problems with windows 8. And what with Steam OS coming out...me thinks Windows may not be your 'go-to' option for gaming for some time.

I just got me WIndows 7 and Really I see no reason to upgrade to 8...if I want a less functional less responsive machine with a gui that looks like trash...I'll load up WIndoows 95.

When the lifecycle ends in 2015, it's quite likely we'll see that change.

Hagi:
Mac OS X is at version 9 now (as in 10.9, they started at 10.0 for OS X because of raisins). And Windows is at version 6, 8 or 12 now (depending on how you're counting, 6 major version numbers (Windows 8.1 = 6.3), 8 as what they're calling it and 12 major commercial releases).

MacOS X was the release where they'd shifted to being BSD-based, it was a major overhaul of the OS (not just a regular 'next release'-style upgrade). I guess they went with 10.0 for OS X to provide continuity with previous MacOS versions, so that it was clear that 10.0 was the next version.

archiebawled:

Hagi:
Mac OS X is at version 9 now (as in 10.9, they started at 10.0 for OS X because of raisins). And Windows is at version 6, 8 or 12 now (depending on how you're counting, 6 major version numbers (Windows 8.1 = 6.3), 8 as what they're calling it and 12 major commercial releases).

MacOS X was the release where they'd shifted to being BSD-based, it was a major overhaul of the OS (not just a regular 'next release'-style upgrade). I guess they went with 10.0 for OS X to provide continuity with previous MacOS versions, so that it was clear that 10.0 was the next version.

I get that part. That's why they named it Mac OS X instead of Mac OS.

The X already means 10. What they're currently calling it is the equivalent of a PC Computer.

0takuMetalhead:

MS products have been named weirdly lately, what with the Xbox One and now this. 365 basically being 1 year, are they trying to link those two?

OT: I wonder if it's going to be what people want, a proper successor to 7 instead of 8 (from what I heard, anyway).

KarmaTheAlligator:

0takuMetalhead:

MS products have been named weirdly lately, what with the Xbox One and now this. 365 basically being 1 year, are they trying to link those two?

Could be, never really understood their way of naming things.

KarmaTheAlligator:
OT: I wonder if it's going to be what people want, a proper successor to 7 instead of 8 (from what I heard, anyway).

Windows 8 is far from bad, in fact the games I want to play run fine on it, if not better compared to 7. I think I'm in the minority here though.

0takuMetalhead:
Windows 8 is far from bad, in fact the games I want to play run fine on it, if not better compared to 7. I think I'm in the minority here though.

I know it works fine for games, a friend of mine uses it without problems (well, I say that, but he does seem to have more issues than us with Win 7. Not sure if it's related, so feel free to ignore that bit), it's mostly the fact that the interface seems rubbish and focused on touch screens and tablets (again, never used it, so I don't know how true it is, this is all from what I've heard). Dunno, maybe it's just because I'm lost enough already trying to find some of my files on Win 7 and I'm afraid of getting even more lost on Win 8 or something else, but Win 8 rubs me (and a lot of others, from what I hear) the wrong way, kinda like how Vista was for XP.

happy_turtle:
"Rumor: Screenshot confirms" - I know The Escapist isn't acknowledged for it's cutting edge journalism, tbh it's mocked almost as much as IGN these days, but this is a piss poor article that even a high-school rag wouldn't run with. Aside from the 7th grade writing, I could knock out a better "screenshot proof" on a dot-matrix printer.

Was about to post something like this.

How do you write "rumor" and "confirms" one word from each other? How is anything confirmed if it's a rumor? Seriously?

Tito needs to run this ship more tightly.

KarmaTheAlligator:

0takuMetalhead:

No. They already offer Office 365, which is a subscription based online version of MS Office.

OT: Windows 8 was replaced by Windows 8.1 last year, and the first major update to 8.1 brought about the last few changes that makes up for some "missing" features in 8. By now, the only thing really missing, is the Start Menu (which I myself never missed). Everything else is in the OS, people just refuse to take the 5 extra minutes it takes to learn a few new tricks (or update their version to latest for free).

NLS:

KarmaTheAlligator:

0takuMetalhead:

No. They already offer Office 365, which is a subscription based online version of MS Office.

Fair enough, didn't know it was called Office 365 and I use the bloody thing. In my defence, though, it doesn't mention anything about 365 on my computer, nor when I launch it.

Hagi:

Barbas:
Does anyone know why they keep making new versions of Windows every few years?

Two reasons really.

- Some updates rework integral parts of the kernel and require a new version since it's no longer provides the same functionality, that's why they name it a new version instead of just another update on Windows 1.
- Microsoft does need money and as such they need to sell something every few years to ensure their continual work on the OS remains sustainable. There's alternatives certainly, but at the end of the day you do need some form of continual income. That's why they sell the new version.

Not saying the way Microsoft goes about it is in any way the best.

But you can't produce an OS without continually bringing out new versions. Ubuntu is at version 14 now, Mac OS X is at version 9 now (as in 10.9, they started at 10.0 for OS X because of raisins). And Windows is at version 6, 8 or 12 now (depending on how you're counting, 6 major version numbers (Windows 8.1 = 6.3), 8 as what they're calling it and 12 major commercial releases).

They were able to keep windowsxp going for some time... also.. really this is about money. Ubuntu goes through versions but upgrading doesn't cost $150-$300 each time. Especially for small to medium sized businesses.

This behaviour may seem like a good idea in theory but in reality all it does is give their customers, particularly business customers to start seriously considering linux or macs.

NLS:

KarmaTheAlligator:

0takuMetalhead:

OT: Windows 8 was replaced by Windows 8.1 last year, and the first major update to 8.1 brought about the last few changes that makes up for some "missing" features in 8. By now, the only thing really missing, is the Start Menu (which I myself never missed). Everything else is in the OS, people just refuse to take the 5 extra minutes it takes to learn a few new tricks (or update their version to latest for free).

Or indeed download and install W8start which adds a start menu to Windows 8.

Zachary Amaranth:

BigTuk:

When the lifecycle ends in 2015, it's quite likely we'll see that change.

Not really... well not in a way that will positively benefit M$. Linux starts looking better and better from a managerial and IT perspective since while there are updates and upgrades the cost of those upgrades is just time.. as opposed to time and money. Linux systems are naturally a little less virus prone than Windows and they already have office compatible software.

So the question is... WHY BOTHER WITH WINDOWS?

Even game developers are getting into the habit of developing linux ports of their games right off the bat. And then you have STeam OS bubbling up which if it delivers what it promises...will displace Windows as the Gaming OS of choice.

0takuMetalhead:

I was really expecting an always up to date/subscription model Windows to be "Windows One".

I think i'll se how many of games work with Steam OS before i consider a new OS

KarmaTheAlligator:

0takuMetalhead:

I know it works fine for games, a friend of mine uses it without problems (well, I say that, but he does seem to have more issues than us with Win 7. Not sure if it's related, so feel free to ignore that bit), it's mostly the fact that the interface seems rubbish and focused on touch screens and tablets (again, never used it, so I don't know how true it is, this is all from what I've heard). Dunno, maybe it's just because I'm lost enough already trying to find some of my files on Win 7 and I'm afraid of getting even more lost on Win 8 or something else, but Win 8 rubs me (and a lot of others, from what I hear) the wrong way, kinda like how Vista was for XP.

I agree on the new start menu being rubbish, however I don't miss the start button at all (to be frank, Microsoft always knew how to make the start button fugly untill 8.1).

praetor_alpha:

0takuMetalhead:

I was really expecting an always up to date/subscription model Windows to be "Windows One".

Considering that the new Xbox is called one, I have to agree.

This can't be surprising to anyone, can it? Of course MS is developing a new OS. Of course they're calling it Win9 because it's only the 3 entry in the nomaculture.

We also know Win8 hadn't really been doing so well. Window OS release seems to be in 3 years cycles apart from Vista->7, which was 2 years. Win8 was first released in 2012, so 2015 seems about right.

Just doesn't seem that news worthy to me, tbh.

Well was on windows XP just over a decade, till i made the jump to windows 7 dont think ill be changing anytime soon if i can carry on gaming on windows 7 .....Steam OS next maybe ?

BigTuk:
-snipped for length-

The problem with Linux is I've heard people say this for years and years now. I know it's getting better (getting better all the time, doo doo doo), but I'm going to wait and see. I mean, people were talking about it being the future of everything back in the late 90s when I graduated high school and was bumming around college. If it's supported enough when 7 starts to die, I will probably just go with it. But I've been waiting for it to actually happen for more than fifteen years now. Not always in relation to gaming, but for enough of those years.

Then again, if Windows 9 sucks enough, I might just say "screw it" and jump anyway. I like Windows 7, but if I can keep current with Linux and not with Windows, it's not a contest.

I'm sure this is coming as news to absolutely nobody.

Microsoft have wanted to switch to a subscription-based OS for years - people sitting on ten year old XP and Office 2003 licenses are a financial nightmare, requiring constant support and investment for absolutely no return. Windows 365, a clear parallel to Office 365's subscription model, is their plan; and to be frank it's not a very smart one. Getting non-techy people to accept what makes Windows 8 good (admittedly not much) is proving an impossible job as it is; forcing them into a position where they have to consider competition for something as significant as the OS (because the moment you mention an annual subscription people will be looking for a free alternative - and Linux is not the answer for most users) is a disaster waiting to happen.

Windows 8 is of course an omnishambles, so getting Windows 9 out of the gate as quickly as possible is wise; but that wording is just the wrong side of ambiguous. "Windows 9 & server & mobile edition" is either three products - Windows 9, Windows 9 Server, and Windows 9 Mobile Edition - or one product, Windows 9 Everything. The latter would be them showing that they haven't learned from Windows 8's mistakes - Apple aren't dumb enough to try and run the same OS on their laptops as they do on their tablets (that's what iOS is for), and Microsoft have to stop trying to make one size fit all, because it just doesn't. Windows 9 Server sounds like it could be an attempt to placate the business types (who hate Windows 8 with a passion), and Windows 9 Mobile Edition sounds like what 8 was trying to be in the first place.

Why a subscription based OS? Microsoft's main competitor has made all of their OS versions free so Microsoft basically has to make at least one free version of windows just to keep up with the open and closed source competition

yeah, windows 9 was kinda confirmed, the rest is of course rumors. Is office 365 still a thing? i dont know a single person that uses it. i guess they got some corporate contracts living there perhaps. as far as windows 365, i expect same result - noone wants that.

Office 2015 may be interesting. i was resistant at first, but they made quite nice improvements in the 2010 over the previuos versions and this may happen again (there still are some things that are missing).

0takuMetalhead:

after vista they kind of gave up with the naming and came back to numbers.

[quote="KarmaTheAlligator" post="7.850024.20996843"
MS products have been named weirdly lately, what with the Xbox One and now this. 365 basically being 1 year, are they trying to link those two?[/quote]
if Office 365 is anything to go by, the intended meaning is that you buy a 1 year license to use software you own.

0takuMetalhead:

the kernel is well improved in 8. it does run games better. the UI though, yeah, not worth it yet, especially when windows 9 may be just around the corner and fix that.

AstaresPanda:
Well was on windows XP just over a decade, till i made the jump to windows 7 dont think ill be changing anytime soon if i can carry on gaming on windows 7 .....Steam OS next maybe ?

you will change to new version for same reason people switched to 7. The DirectX 12 will not be supported on 7, only higher, and once games start using that and drop previuos versions (just like modern games dropped 9, meaning you cant run them on XP) you will be forced to upgrade or play old games.

The more I hear about new Windows versions, the more I am waiting excitedly... for SteamOS.

Also, "Personally, I hope it's a cloud version of Windows that can run on iOS or Android via an installed app"

Um... Why?

Zachary Amaranth:

BigTuk:
-snipped for length-

The problem with Linux is I've heard people say this for years and years now. I know it's getting better (getting better all the time, doo doo doo), but I'm going to wait and see. I mean, people were talking about it being the future of everything back in the late 90s when I graduated high school and was bumming around college. If it's supported enough when 7 starts to die, I will probably just go with it. But I've been waiting for it to actually happen for more than fifteen years now. Not always in relation to gaming, but for enough of those years.

Then again, if Windows 9 sucks enough, I might just say "screw it" and jump anyway. I like Windows 7, but if I can keep current with Linux and not with Windows, it's not a contest.

And yet in more than a few countries linux is the mandated OS of choice for government agencies and institutions (including some schools). Basically linux is slow on the uptick because unlike windows ... it doesn't have a multimillion dollar promotional campaign behind it. so people see it as this vague mysterious thing. I mean you say you've been waiting... have you actually you know... migrated yourself to it?

I'm guessing no even though with the exception of IE all browsers run on linux (that's actually a plus) linux has a suite of office tools that is every bit as capable as office and able to open and save to office format and as said... game developers and hardwware developers are actually now developing drivers and software drivers for linux natively.. The biggest barrier linux had was the driver issue but now that's fading into the distance.

So the last barrier is the point of sale barrier. See many PC's by default come installed with windows...retailers are told to do this. If retailers started preinstalling linux on systems more and more people would actually be exposed to it right out the box.

BigTuk:

And yet in more than a few countries linux is the mandated OS of choice for government agencies and institutions (including some schools).

That's nice, but completely irrelevant.

Zachary Amaranth:

BigTuk:

And yet in more than a few countries linux is the mandated OS of choice for government agencies and institutions (including some schools).

That's nice, but completely irrelevant.

Because any trend that happens outside of you your own personal bubble is irrelevant. Here's a question. YOu ever wonder why macs were so touted over PC's by the graphic artists set historically? It's because believe it or not because those were the machines they learned on... so yeah... getting your machines into edicational institutions does have a big impact on how the os is picked up.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here