US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

godzilla vs tanks

Sgt. Maj. James Dever offers some insight on how the US military would handle a real Godzilla attack.

Thankfully, Godzilla has (until now) been a product of fantasy, and we've never suffered in real-life attacks from giant radioactive dinosaurs. But what if we did? Godzilla (2014)'s Military Technical Advisor, Sgt. Maj. James Dever was asked how the U.S. military would hypothetically take on the monster, and, more importantly, whether they could do it. Despite the military usually amounting to no more than cannon fodder in these types of films, Dever is confident that the US military could stop a real-life Godzilla attack.

"The military would be very successful," he said confidently, adding "With the manpower and the equipment we have, we'd definitely be successful in taking down Godzilla." He said that US would be quick to mobilize all of its military forces, from the navy to the air force to even ground troops, and they would simply be able to overwhelm the monster with numbers.

He did however see a couple of complications in a potential military vs. Godzilla showdown, in particular, Godzilla's fiery "Atomic Breath" and if the battle took place in a densely populated city. "Once he's in the city our major concern are all the civilians," said Dever. "The military would put their combined effort to move all the civilians out before we could engage him."

As for the potential of using atomic weapons on the monster, Dever said that would probably only be a very last resort, as the decision would have to come from the President and would only be used after civilians were evacuated.

"It's not a known thing fighting monsters," said Dever. "But we'd give it our best, and hope he would go down in a day or two."

Source: Business Insider via Rocket News 24

Right.

If there is one constant in geek culture it's that Godzilla pretty much trumps everything. Jason Voorhees would wet his pants if Big G showed up.

I'm not an unpatriotic American by any stretch of the imagination. But c'mon duder, Godzilla would melt us all.

And just for funsies, here's Blue Oyster Cult's "Go Go Godzilla". Enjoy!

They wouldn't need nukes, or even need to go near it. The infantry could concentrate on evacuation, they could just drop GBU-57A/B MOP onto Godzilla and turn him into chunky kibbles.

14,000KG of kinetic death at near supersonic speed followed up by the warhead of 2.4 tons of high explosive, B2s can carry two of them at a time. Unless Godzillas skin is tougher than 60ft of bunker grade steel reinforced concrete he would be smashed apart just by the kinetic impact, after the bomb has penetrated his skin the explosives would go off. This would liquidise his internal organs, his tough skin would work against him as it would contain the thermobaric pressure wave inside his body and reflect and ricochet the blast wave around internally.

Even if it had super regeneration powers I doubt they could sort out literally liquidised internal organs.

...Except for the fact that Godzilla has...y'know...the extremely minor and overlooked detail of surviving the point blank detonation of NUCLEAR WEAPONS, the most powerful and destructive ordnance known to man. It wouldn't help if the US had any Tzar Bomba's in their possession.

Honestly, your best hope is to give him Anthrax, and even that's questionable.

This is just like the people who bemoan that the US Military should be doing a lot better against the Hierarchy (obscure game references ho!).

They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.

Godzilla will be crushed by it's own weight so anyone including myself can stop a godzilla, we just need to stand there and watch him fall.

Zeren:
They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.

To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.

Giant monsters are more clear cut, in that way.

ExtraDebit:
Godzilla will be crushed by it's own weight so anyone including myself can stop a godzilla, we just need to stand there and watch him fall.

Unless its an actual giant radioactive man that is inside a giant Godzilla rubber suit, that might work, no?

Sir Shockwave:
...Except for the fact that Godzilla has...y'know...the extremely minor and overlooked detail of surviving the point blank detonation of NUCLEAR WEAPONS, the most powerful and destructive ordnance known to man. It wouldn't help if the US had any Tzar Bomba's in their possession.

This is just like the people who bemoan that the US Military should be doing a lot better against the Hierarchy (obscure game references ho!).

Yeah...

Godzilla was originally intended as an allegory of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Now, Little Boy had a blast yield of 16 kilotons, while Fat Man had one of about 21 kilotons.

The Tsar Bomba has a blast yield of somewhere between 50 000 and 58 000 kilotons.

So, hypothetically speaking, I don't think the fact that Godzilla survived a detonation of some nuclear weapons automatically means he is going to survive the Emperor Bomb dropping on his head.

Also, where does it say it was a 'point black detonation'? I don't really remember that bit.

This is why I like this kind of disaster movies, it gets the people who would make the kinda calls that characters in those movies do thinking.

"Hmmm...What would we do if the Aliens from Independence Day comes?"
"How would we save the earth from the asteroid from Armageddon?"
"How do we stop Skynet if that becomes a thing?"

Granted, a lot of the situations in those films are unlikely at best, but still, it's kinda cool that the same thought crossed their minds.

Compatriot Block:

Zeren:

To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.

You misread what I posted. I meant farmers with guns that are 80 years old.

I was thinking of practical ways I would take on Godzilla, and had a thought about what it would be like to see a battle between Cthulhu and Godzilla. Obviously our minds for the most part would be reduced to insane dribble but, you know, it'd be kind of neat... :p

Zeren:

Compatriot Block:

Zeren:

Well too be fair you can't just shoot anyone you want, plus when you look at the actual number of dead an injured from those "farmers" and compare then those of our soldiers, we're basically all Captain America class super soldiers in terms of our ability to fight them. Look no further then Iraq, Afghanistan, and pretty much every military intervention in the past 20 years.

The sooner this myth of the guerillas winning because they can fight us better instead of the reality being we only loose if we pull out before the job is done (whatever job that may be) is one that will be all the better once it's dead once and for all. After all, with the exception of the East Congo Crisis (which lets face it there was no way to fix that without full military occupation for an unknown amount of time) none of the places we've pulled out from in the middle east or Africa have been much worst off then they where before.

OT: Godzilla almost seems like the type of thing we built nukes just to destroy, but lets face it, we don't need to have a military which can take it on because the monster just doesn't work in real life. It would die trying to breath, and even assuming it could breath and move the physical requirements would cause conventional weapons to allow for death by a thousand (or in this case, million) cuts by peppering it with bullets, missiles, artillery and depleted uranium. Godzilla is pure fictional awesomeness that we all know just can't function in real life, but makes up for it by being dame awesome (both in the actual meaning and in the currently-used-but-very-wrong meaning) depending on weather he's the "evil force of nature", "misunderstood hero" or "sum of our fears".

Zontar:

Zeren:

Compatriot Block:

Well too be fair you can't just shoot anyone you want, plus when you look at the actual number of dead an injured from those "farmers" and compare then those of our soldiers, we're basically all Captain America class super soldiers in terms of our ability to fight them. Look no further then Iraq, Afghanistan, and pretty much every military intervention in the past 20 years.

The sooner this myth of the guerillas winning because they can fight us better instead of the reality being we only loose if we pull out before the job is done (whatever job that may be) is one that will be all the better once it's dead once and for all. After all, with the exception of the East Congo Crisis (which lets face it there was no way to fix that without full military occupation for an unknown amount of time) none of the places we've pulled out from in the middle east or Africa have been much worst off then they where before.

OT: Godzilla almost seems like the type of thing we built nukes just to destroy, but lets face it, we don't need to have a military which can take it on because the monster just doesn't work in real life. It would die trying to breath, and even assuming it could breath and move the physical requirements would cause conventional weapons to allow for death by a thousand (or in this case, million) cuts by peppering it with bullets, missiles, artillery and depleted uranium. Godzilla is pure fictional awesomeness that we all know just can't function in real life, but makes up for it by being dame awesome (both in the actual meaning and in the currently-used-but-very-wrong meaning) depending on weather he's the "evil force of nature", "misunderstood hero" or "sum of our fears".

I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.

Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.

Arqus_Zed:

Sir Shockwave:

Yeah...

Godzilla was originally intended as an allegory of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Now, Little Boy had a blast yield of 16 kilotons, while Fat Man had one of about 21 kilotons.

The Tsar Bomba has a blast yield of somewhere between 50 000 and 58 000 kilotons.

So, hypothetically speaking, I don't think the fact that Godzilla survived a detonation of some nuclear weapons automatically means he is going to survive the Emperor Bomb dropping on his head.

Also, where does it say it was a 'point black detonation'? I don't really remember that bit.

According to one of the trailers 15 megatons was the largest nuke dropped on him.

Zeren:
I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.

You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.

josemlopes:

ExtraDebit:

Unless its an actual giant radioactive man that is inside a giant Godzilla rubber suit, that might work, no?

No material on earth can have godzilla's size without collapsing on itself, not on earth's gravity at least, even skyscrapers are build to the specification of a singular center of gravity, if it was ever tilt to one side it will start crumbing and fall. So weather it's a giant lizard or a man in rubber suit, it will fall.

AJey:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.

I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.

Zontar:

Zeren:

You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.

It about the first bit. The part about the real war. I don't particularly want to get into it as it's 3:30 AM and I've had a few drinks. All in all, it will boil down to me throwing out how much we have spent, how many have died, and how we haven't made any meaningful progress, and are leaving with our tail between our legs.

Huh, that is a pretty logical way to handle the situation.
Pretty logically BORING. Cmooooon U.S., you're bigger than that!

You want to stop Godzilla in the dumbest most badass way possible?!
Two Words:

Zontar:

AJey:

I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.

And yet you still haven't defeated them...

Zeren:

Zontar:

Zeren:

It about the first bit. The part about the real war. I don't particularly want to get into it as it's 3:30 AM and I've had a few drinks. All in all, it will boil down to me throwing out how much we have spent, how many have died, and how we haven't made any meaningful progress, and are leaving with our tail between our legs.

As my counter I'd throw out how many schools are now operational, how many more of them have died (seriously, given how many people died in older wars you'd think we'd lost the stomach for it when someone brought up the point, given how more soldiers died at home in car accidents in the same timeframe) and how there has been meaningful progress (especially in the urban areas where most of the population lives) in all the conflicts except the Congo Crisis (which was more of a refugee crisis then a conflict).

AJey:

Zontar:

AJey:

And yet you still haven't defeated them...

Well it's an insurgency, Russia hasn't fully put down their own at home that started over 20 years ago. You don't defeat insurgencies militarily, you just use the military to thin out their numbers while the real work of destroying them once and for all is done by forming a stabile government and military/police force (which, given how the afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years and with good success, coupled with a falling recruitment level for both insurgencies, it's working). Really the only way to say the war isn't working/didn't work is to misinterpret the numbers and go with it.

This is a problem with any giant monster attack story-the monsters always need to be mysteriously bullet proof to explain why the military can't take them down. Not that I'm complaining! I like that idea in fiction.

Godzilla has displayed an uncanny ability to sustain damage throughout his films.
Starting in the first Godzilla film, Godzilla displayed an immunity to conventional weaponry, virtually impervious to everything the JSDF threw at him. He has demonstrated the ability to survive complete submersion in magma for an extended period of time, sometimes while under extreme pressure from tectonic plates (as seen in Godzilla vs. Mothra). He has even survived being in ground zero of asteroid impacts. The only times his flesh has been visibly pierced were in battle with the Super X, Showa Gigan, Biollante, King Ghidorah, Destoroyah, and from MechaGodzilla's weapons in the Showa, Heisei and Millennium series.

In addition to being extremely resistant to damage, Godzilla possesses an extremely advanced and highly efficient regenerative ability. This power was a crucial plot point of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla 2000: Millennium. In Godzilla 2000, it is explained that Godzilla's regenerative abilities may have something to do with his radioactive properties, and Regenerator G-1 ("Organizer G-1" in the Japanese version) is the name given to a substance in his cells that is responsible for Godzilla's swift healing. In Godzilla vs. Biollante, Japanese scientists use samples of the Godzilla cells (called G-cells throughout the Heisei series of Godzilla films) to help create the ANEB. This healing factor would be inherited by all creatures spawned from Godzilla's DNA, those being Biollante, SpaceGodzilla and Orga.

I don't think the US military (or any military) could do shit against someone who can take an asteroid to the face, and keep on punching afterwards.

Besides, they're going about it the wrong way, Big-G just wants to love and be loved, like some giant scaly version of Barry White.

Godzilla only "hates humans because they hate him."

source

Zontar:

Zeren:

Zontar:

As my counter I'd throw out how many schools are now operational, how many more of them have died (seriously, given how many people died in older wars you'd think we'd lost the stomach for it when someone brought up the point, given how more soldiers died at home in car accidents in the same timeframe) and how there has been meaningful progress (especially in the urban areas where most of the population lives) in all the conflicts except the Congo Crisis (which was more of a refugee crisis then a conflict).

We'll see just how much of that "progress" sticks when we leave. Who knows, maybe it will get better because we will stop bombing wedding parties and other non-combatants.

Zeren:

Zontar:

Zeren:

We'll see just how much of that "progress" sticks when we leave. Who knows, maybe it will get better because we will stop bombing wedding parties and other non-combatants.

Well, I think things will improve there over time, the Pandora's box of a stable (at least by comparison to its predecessors) government and security force with some degree of accountability is something they'll have a hard time putting back in. And keep in mind I'm a guy who's being optimistic about this, and I'm generally known for being a pessimistic, cynical bastard.

Zontar:

Zeren:

Zontar:

Well, I think things will improve there over time, the Pandora's box of a stable (at least by comparison to its predecessors) government and security force with some degree of accountability is something they'll have a hard time putting back in. And keep in mind I'm a guy who's being optimistic about this, and I'm generally known for being a pessimistic, cynical bastard.

Hopefully, but I don't have the same level of hope. Regardless, I'm too worried about my own country's stability at the moment to care too much about a country that doesn't want us there in the first place.

Zeren:
a country that doesn't want us there in the first place.

Well, that's true in the since there are people there who didn't want us to be, but given that we didn't set boots on the ground apart from advisers until after the provisional government had overthrown the Taliban, and they requested the expeditionary force to help them keep stability, it's neither here nor there.

Zontar:

Zeren:

Well, that's true in the since there are people there who didn't want us to be, but given that we didn't set boots on the ground apart from advisers until after the provisional government had overthrown the Taliban, and they requested the expeditionary force to help them keep stability, it's neither here nor there.

Let's see a source on that claim.

Zeren:

Zontar:

Zeren:

It was after the Northern Alliance took Kabul. There where already CIA and special forces on the ground and the air camping (what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them, given what most of them believed about the world) but the bulk of the expeditionary force hasn't entered the country at that point. It was all part of Operation Enduring Freedom -Afghanistan (though why they called 5 military operations the same thing with only the locations being different is beyond me). The agreement was made before the actual operation, but given the state the Northern Alliance was in before the liberation of Kabul they where in no position to claim to be the de facto government at the time.

I personally like the part at the end where he believes that it would take "A day or two" to stop ONE very large target.

Zeren:

Zontar:

Zeren:

It was after the Northern Alliance took Kabul. There where already CIA and special forces on the ground and the air camping (what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them, given what most of them believed about the world) but the bulk of the expeditionary force hasn't entered the country at that point. It was all part of Operation Enduring Freedom -Afghanistan (though why they called 5 military operations the same thing with only the locations being different is beyond me). The agreement was made before the actual operation, but given the state the Northern Alliance was in before the liberation of Kabul they where in no position to claim to be the de facto government at the time.

First off, you didn't provide a source.

Secondly,

what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them

You need to seek some professional help. I have nothing more to say to a madman like yourself.

It was years ago on the news, I can't remember the source and after an all-nighter I'm not interested in looking it up. As for the "what where they thinking" part, what I meant by that is this: the Taliban and Al-Qaeda where for the most part filled with ranks which believed their holy texts where literal texts and they had known very little of what our modern technology of war was capable of. What I wanted to know what what where they thinking when bombs they couldn't see or hear coming which where able to strike them with accuracy and impunity. For some of them it was probably like god was striking them down, or something. It's just curiosity of how they would interpreted what was happening around them given the different culture and education they where raised with.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here