The Flash Gets Extended Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Flash Gets Extended Trailer

The CW wraps up The Flash's origin story in a five-minute trailer.

The CW has released an extended trailer for the upcoming series The Flash. The extended trailer builds on the first look that CW released earlier today. The Flash is the second superhero series for The CW, spinning off from the DC Comics-based Arrow. Barry Allen was introduced as a CSI technician in Arrow, before a combination of being splattered with chemical and being hit by lightning turned him into the The Flash.

The trailer brings in the involvement of S.T.A.R. Labs, a research facility in the DC Universe. In the wake of his electrical encounter, Allen has inexplicably buffed up, and the rate at which he heals is greatly increased compared to an average person. As he begins to discover his powers, Allen and the S.T.A.R. Labs researchers test out his speed, clocking him at over 700 miles per hour. We learn there are other "meta-humans" like Allen out there, including a bank robber Clyde Mardon, who has the ability to control the weather. Mardon is likely DC supervillain Weather Wizard, without the brightly colored costume and with a slight name change. Meta-humans were created in the wake of the particle accelerator explosion, which caused the storm and the lightning that struck Allen. We also get a better look at the full new costume for The Flash, apparently helpfully developed by one of the S.T.A.R. lab technicians just in case Allen might want one. I'm sensing a bit of unrequited love here.

The series will follow Allen in his day job for the Central City police force while he also fights crime as The Flash. The Flash premieres on The CW this fall.

Source: The CW

That looked so incredibly, wonderfully goofy.

Looks promising but I'm still iffy on the costume. I think I know what role John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen in the previous Flash live action series, is playing-Barry Allen's father.

Looks like the TV budget just went up. CW/WB/DC working hard on the TV side which I must admit, they are better at than Marvel.

DC has better games and TV series (maybe cartoons)
Marvel has better movies.

It looks... aged? Like something that should have been made years ago but now looks shitty.

The dialog is horribly boring and the special effects don't really look special.

This is going to be a bad movie, a boring bad movie, a annoying boring bad movie.

I wonder what Movie Bob will say about it.

Valderis:
It looks... aged? Like something that should have been made years ago but now looks shitty.

The dialog is horribly boring and the special effects don't really look special.

This is going to be a bad movie, a boring bad movie, a annoying boring bad movie.

Not a movie, a series. Which might also explain why the effects aren't exactly top Hollywood quality.

I liked the effects myself and the concept seemed functional. The costume bothered me a bit and the writing fell a bit flat, but I'd have to see a complete episode before jumping into conclusions. Also, I couldn't quite catch what tone they were going for, hopefully something a bit more light hearted.

Is it just me or does the guy playing flash really not seem that good of an actor? It just crossed my mind during the hospital scene at the beginning and couldn't get it out of my head through the rest of the trailer.

JD's brother from Scrubs? Cool. Still isn't flash supposed to be the comedian of the team? This trailer had no jokes. I know its too early to judge something like that but I really hope we aren't getting another dark and gritty Dark knight/Man of steel wannabe in this TV series.

By the way, Captain America called, he wants his helmet back.

Valderis:

It's a TV show...how did you miss that?

OT: this actually looks pretty good and my interest has been piqued - let's see how well it actually holds up though.

Valderis:

It's not a movie. o.o TV show, ala Arrow and Smallville.

Did I see a Green Lantern reference in there?

Darth Marsden:
That looked so incredibly, wonderfully goofy.

Being less serious would very likely be to its advantage. If they go that route. It looked a little...Too serious for its own good to me.

Paradox SuXcess:
Looks like the TV budget just went up. CW/WB/DC working hard on the TV side which I must admit, they are better at than Marvel.

DC has better games and TV series (maybe cartoons)
Marvel has better movies.

DC has definitely had better cartoons.

I mean, Marvel's cranked out a couple decent ones in recent years (Though not all of them through Marvel....), but I think DC's got a major edge there.

So it's an Arrow spinoff. Why can't DC do the same with, say, Cyborg and Diana ? Hmm ? Instead of cramming everything there is to be crammed in the next Superman movie ?

TravelerSF:

Not a movie, a series. Which might also explain why the effects aren't exactly top Hollywood quality.

I liked the effects myself and the concept seemed functional. The costume bothered me a bit and the writing fell a bit flat, but I'd have to see a complete episode before jumping into conclusions. Also, I couldn't quite catch what tone they were going for, hopefully something a bit more light hearted.

AndrewC:

It's a TV show...how did you miss that?

OT: this actually looks pretty good and my interest has been piqued - let's see how well it actually holds up though.

Well fuck me, its been all superhero movies for a while so I just assumed.

That would explain the more shitty qualities of the product.

But it won't make me any more interested in it. Actually less so, this would mean it's even more time consuming without any extra payoff.

I'm not even mad at this, if I was I'd be cursing all of the place. Just general disappointment without any attachment.

Well it can hardly be any worse than Arrow, that show wins facepalm per episode count by far.

Wait...wait.

Did they seriously just reveal REVERSE FLASH in the TEASER?

Holy crap!
Ha..ha..ha...wow.

Good on them.

I admit, as a fan of the character and the original TV show, this looks surprisingly good (not great, but good).

Still prefer Wally West, but oh well (curse you New 52).

THIS is what I wanted in Agents of SHIELD that I still haven't really gotten. SUPERHEROES and SUPERVILLAINS in a world full of meta-humans, crime fighting, and comic-book indulgence (instead of mere samples).

I'm excited. I have my misgivings about Arrow as it goes. A lot of the acting is questionable. Some of the writing is not so hot. But it's definitely a top tier live action super hero show. And I don't think I'm alone when I say the last few episodes of this past season (finale was yesterday) were really fantastic. They felt like what Dark Knight Returns should have felt like, it was substantially less boring.

This show honestly looks good. And I'm glad they are starting to add metahumans into the newly established TV universe. Should prove interesting. Also, nice thing on showing Reverse Flash as the one who killed Barry's parents. Should make for a very exciting villain if the show takes off, which I hope it does.

It look promising, I guess I should start watching Arrow. I know for one thing is that it certain look better than the last Flash series in the 90's well from the look of it.

Why do the costumes look so washed out? Not a major gripe but why these series decide to actually go all out in terms of story but then try to 'grit up' the aesthetics is beyond me.

I actually had to search around for a bit to see if The Escapist got taken in by a hoax. That looks so awful that I was convinced it could only be a parody on superhero movies.

Due to my love of The Flash I will give this show a chance but if it is to be any good (in my eyes, anyway) it has to be as different and far removed from Arrow as possible. I know alot of people like Arrow and I am glad someone does but to me it just feels like a show made by people who really wanted to make a Batman show but were told they were not allowed to use Batman.

Pfff... I just realised I was smiling while watching this...

John Mulaney is The Flash!? No for sure he'll be cracking the best jokes! Although Flash' mom had me in stitches with her "better to have a good heart than fast legs" crap.

Anybody else got a "Run, Forest, Run!" flashback?

Since it's made by the same guys that made Arrow it sure gives me vibes of that TV show..from how it's shot to the music and how the trailer was made.

Which is a good thing, because I loved Arrow. Will definitely be watching this once it's becomes available.

I only have one question. Does this mean no Flash in a Justice League movie (also known as Superman versus Batman, apparently)?

I know there are issues with rights that can make it so that characters can't appear in different series at the same time. So, would the existence of this show preclude Flash appearing in a Justice League movie, since this should mean that the CW has the rights to Flash and not Warner Bros? Or would THIS Flash appear in the movie? Or could they use another Flash like Wally? Or is there no issue and they could use Barry and not have him be tied to this show?

Saltyk:
I only have one question. Does this mean no Flash in a Justice League movie (also known as Superman versus Batman, apparently)?

I know there are issues with rights that can make it so that characters can't appear in different series at the same time. So, would the existence of this show preclude Flash appearing in a Justice League movie, since this should mean that the CW has the rights to Flash and not Warner Bros? Or would THIS Flash appear in the movie? Or could they use another Flash like Wally? Or is there no issue and they could use Barry and not have him be tied to this show?

All the rights to DC characters(and DC itself) are owned by Warner Bros., which owns the movie studio that makes the DC movies and half the television network "The CW" on which these shows air. There no disputes or anything like that.

See, this is what I was worried about when they started announcing superhero TV shows. TV production works with a much smaller budget than movies, so attempts to show the powers look awful. Arrow doesn't have any real flashy superpowered individuals, so they could mostly get away with it, and Agents of SHIELD kept it to a minimum. But Flash is one of the more (pardon the pun) flashy characters in DC. Guys like Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard and such throwing around all kinds of lasers and advanced technology and crap like that.

Also, as others have pointed out, while some guys might like Arrow, it just seems too much like "The Not Dark Knight Show" to me, and that aesthetic probably won't work with Flash. Maybe I'm wrong. It could end up being awesome. But this isn't giving me much confidence.

Is it just me, or does the Arrow look and sound much happier than in his own series? Then again, maybe he'll just brighten up a little in season 3 (which I expect to be happening around the same time as the first season of The Flash)

I'm not as up to speed (no pun) on my DC characters as I am with Marvel. Is that Barry Allen's backstory? Did his parents get Tom and Martha Wayned?

If not it seems like a needlessly grim focal point for what's shaping up to be a more lighthearted series.

Kudos for committing to the Weather Wizard as a series villain. I always like it when comic movies/shows just own up to how fucking goofy the source material is.

From what I'm seeing:

Effects: Pretty good. Looks like they're actually using his powers in a more fun manner than just having him run fast and punch like in the 2000s one, which I did like.

Tone: Already seeing a little too much grim-dark. This is already looking like they're trying to make another character into Batman. Again.

Costume: I'm gonna be picky on this and say "Is it that much to ask for the right shade of red?" Seriously, you grim-darked the costume of one of the brightest characters in DC?

Comic Accuracy: Gonna bitch again. Pretty sure Barry didn't actually SEE his mom murdered. And he designed his own costume. And Barry is blonde.

Not a fan of Arrow, hoping this will actually be more fun than this is looking to be because this is already hitting a lot of clichés I see with DC's TV and Movie stuff.

Again with the dead parents. Can no one have alive parents in DC's universe anymore?

I don't mind so much the darker red for the costume. Sort of reminds me of the Justice League Unlimited incarnation
Always that shade of darker red, surprising as he was the comic relief.

I think maybe they've given too much away in the plot though. I think I could make a fair guess as to how the first episode is going to go based on what they showed with Weather Wizard, and as soon as someone named Hunter Zolomon or Eobard Thawne shows up thats the mystery of who killed his mother gone

Diddy_Mao:
I'm not as up to speed (no pun) on my DC characters as I am with Marvel. Is that Barry Allen's backstory? Did his parents get Tom and Martha Wayned?

If not it seems like a needlessly grim focal point for what's shaping up to be a more lighthearted series.

Kudos for committing to the Weather Wizard as a series villain. I always like it when comic movies/shows just own up to how fucking goofy the source material is.

Yeah his whole motivation for joining the police, going into forensics was to solve crimes like his mothers murder. Going the legit way instead of leaping straight to the cape and cowl.

Well, no need to watch the first few episodes now.

Willstown:

Diddy_Mao:

Yeah his whole motivation for joining the police, going into forensics was to solve crimes like his mothers murder. Going the legit way instead of leaping straight to the cape and cowl.

In that case I retract my previous statement, I had no idea Barry Allen's mother was murdered.

Gordon_4:
Again with the dead parents. Can no one have alive parents in DC's universe anymore?

Marvel characters have the similar "dead parents" cliche too you know. Tony Stark, Peter Parker. Heck even Magneto's parents were torn away from him. I agree though that comic book characters have to much of that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here