Guardians of the Galaxy Poster Is All About The Space Action

Guardians of the Galaxy Poster Is All About The Space Action

Guardians of the Galaxy Payoff Poster

Guardians of the Galaxy has a new action-oriented poster, but why exactly does Groot look so much smaller than Chris Pratt?

With Captain America: The Winter Soldier out of the way, Guardians of the Galaxy is the next Marvel Studios fans can get excited for. And from all accounts, they have good reason to: It's being directed by James Gunn, includes a rocket-wielding raccoon as a secondary character, and its trailer is equal parts action-packed and hilarious. So it's only natural, as we move towards the release date, for Marvel Studios to unveil a new poster like the one below, emphasizing over-the-top space opera action above all else.

The poster certainly looks nice in a "summer blockbuster where everything explodes" kind of way. Of course, that means we're operating on movie poster logic so perspective has been thrown right out the window. For example, why is Starlord so freaking huge compared to Drax and Groot? Yes, I get he's the main character, but come on. Even The Avengers poster didn't let Iron Man pull that on the Hulk.

Ah well, it's a spiffy-looking poster nonetheless. As long as the movie is fun, I'll keep my complaints to a minimum.

Source: IGN

All that's missing is Howard the Duck in a laser-mounted golf cart.

Is it just me or do Drax's markings look really weird in this poster?

That's very, very 70's sci fi that poster is.

A certain film about a farm boy and an unshielded exhaust port springs to mind.

I like it.

Fappy:

Not just you, those markings made him look just silly.

Casual Shinji:
All that's missing is Howard the Duck in a laser-mounted golf cart.

One day... one day...

OT: "BOB", the more I hear about this movie, the more excited I get. I'm practically beside myself with antici...

pation.

fix-the-spade:
That's very, very 70's sci fi that poster is.

A certain film about a farm boy and an unshielded exhaust port springs to mind.

I like it.

Really? I'm more reminded of a certain hunky football star with bleach blonde hair.

That poster fills me with a new hope that this movie will be good.

Fanghawk:
...why is Starlord so freaking huge compared to Drax and Groot? Yes, I get he's the main character, but come on. Even The Avengers poster didn't let Iron Man pull that on the Hulk.

Actually, looking at that Avengers poster, they kinda did let Iron Man be larger than the Hulk...

Anyway, looking forward to this, even if only as: "I wonder if they can actually pull off something this CRAZY?"

Star Lord does seem to be towering over everyone there, doesn't he? Oh well, it still looks fun. I can't wait to see it.

Anyone else see this poster and think that this should have been the cover art for Mass Effect 2? Or is that just me?

Ive not been this excited for a movie in a looooong time.

I like the poster, it harks back to classic sci fi which many a grown comic fan grew up with.

Hey look, they have the female character in a similar pose to the rest of the cast instead of making her show her butt.

Progress!

Sniper Team 4:

Anyone else see this poster and think that this should have been the cover art for Mass Effect 2? Or is that just me?

I'm in complete agreement. The box art for Mass Effect 2 and 3 were a major disappointment compared to the great box art the first game had. It really gave off that 70's-80's sci-fi epic feel.

Very Star Wars. I like it. I just wish the film would hurry up and come out already!

The Rogue Wolf:
Hey look, they have the female character in a similar pose to the rest of the cast instead of making her show her butt.

Progress!

I was going to say the exact same thing, kind of surprised. Good job marvel.

So hyped for this movie, god I hope it delivers.

Marvel heard about Disney buying Star Wars and basically pulled a Bender.

"Fine. I'll make my own Star Wars. With blackjack and hookers!"

And I SOOOO want to see this.

This looks like a movie poster someone made for the background of another less-interesting movie or video game, complete with the machine gun-wielding raccoon.

Awesome.

This might just be me, but does it look like Star-Lord's dual-wielding Halo plasma pistols?

The only thing this poster is missing is the villains face all see through in the background taking up 2/3rds of the poster. Even without that final touch to make this the perfect Star Wars poster nod, it still looks fantastic.

Just take my money now Marvel, I can't wait another month.

This might just be me, but does it look like Star-Lord's dual-wielding Halo plasma pistols?

Hey, that's my thought exactly!

Overall though, that is one helluva rad poster.

Fappy:

It looks like they enhanced the reds to a ridiculous extent. It's super weird looking, no doubt about that. He actually looks extra pudgy in that pose too, haha.

OT: I really can't wait to see this movie. I wish they went with the modern incarnation of Star Lord, it just makes it seem so much bigger that way. But I'm over it, it's still got Rocket!

As much as I hate it when a show or movie just blatantly fishes for nostalgia cred (lookin at you regular show.) there's something charming about the way Marvel is handling GotG that I can't help but love.

Movie of the year! Just because i have no idea what its going be. Some parts serious, some part comedy. Lots of weird stuff, lots of character stuff all with a talking tree and a gun shooting raccoon. This movie is so out of left field, its going to be a joy to watch.

Fappy:

It looks like he has a really bad rash or something.

Still looking forward to the movie though.

Diddy_Mao:
As much as I hate it when a show or movie just blatantly fishes for nostalgia cred (lookin at you regular show.)

I used to think like that until I watched some of the latest eps and don't get me wrong, it still does that, but the shows actually trying for emotional depth... granted it usually takes the form of a magical stand off or colossal monster fight but cartoons, fun is fun.

OT: It's looking more and more like The Fifth Element, please, PLEASE don't suck!

I like it but it needs more Drew Struzan.

Fanghawk:
Guardians of the Galaxy

Of course, that means we're operating on movie poster logic so perspective has been thrown right out the window. For example, why is Starlord so freaking huge compared to Drax and Groot? Yes, I get he's the main character, but come on. Even The Avengers poster didn't let Iron Man pull that on the Hulk.

I believe it's called hierarchy of scale. The basic gist is to make the more important parts of a piece bigger so they draw more attention. Since Starlord is presumably the main character from what I've seen so far it makes sense that on the poster hes the largest thing. Drawing more attention is also why hes almost centered on the poster.

I'm sort of worried that my expectations for this movie will be too high, but they do seem to know what it is they need to do... unlike say Man Of Steel.

Look at that poster. That's a slice of fried old-school sci-fi gold.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here