Full Trailer For Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Full Trailer For Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Matthew McConaughey heads for the stars as the Inception helmer heads for Spielberg Country.

Behold the first full (i.e. "Oh, that's what this movie is about!") trailer for Christopher Nolan's big sci-fi opus Interstellar, which stars Matthew McConaughey as the leader of an astronaut team sent to explore a newly-discovered wormhole that could change human space-travel forever. The film's original premise was concieved by theoretical physicist Kip Thorne.

As with most Nolan productions, the film's storyline is a closely-guarded secret. But the trailer would seem to reveal that it takes place in a near-future scenario where Earth has been blighted by climate change and other disaster scenarios, while dialogue heavily implies that the heroes are exploring the wormhole as a possible method for humanity escaping a doomed planet. The film was originally concieved as a Steven Spielberg production from a script by Johnathan Nolan, and it should be interesting to see how the Nolan Bros. penchant for grim, detached procedurals fit together with the "Spielbergian" emotive/awe-driven elements still clearly present.

Hollywood, certainly, seems convinced that the film will be something special; as multiple studios and production companies have been scrambling to collaborate with the project's original studio, Paramount, since it began development in 2007. Warner Bros is said to have traded partial rights to planned future Friday the 13th and South Park features in order to join Team Interstellar, and Legendary Pictures bowed-out of financing Man of Steel sequels in order to invest as well.

Interstellar opens November 7, 2014.

Source: Warner Bros UK

I'm getting a pretty strong Contact vibe from this.

Can you link movies trailers to imdb instead of youtube next time? youtube is blocked in more countries than imdb, thanks.

Yikes. That's by FAR the most realistic looking wormhole I've ever seen on screen. None of this cloudy blue wavy stuff from Star Trek, or glowing warp stars or anything like that - just, well, a decent impression of bent space.

I'm also getting a worrying vibe that relativity might have something to say about them coming home from this trip within a reasonable timescale.

But yeah. This looks good. Can anyone identify the trailer music?

Nolan directing, Michael Caine, and I think I spied a glimpse of Jessica Chastain. Yes, please.

For a while there it seemed like Matthew McConaughey jumped into the crazy boat, but at least he's not 'Amanda Bynes crazy' I suppose.

FizzyIzze:
Nolan directing, Michael Caine, and I think I spied a glimpse of Jessica Chastain. Yes, please.

For a while there it seemed like Matthew McConaughey jumped into the crazy boat, but at least he's not 'Amanda Bynes crazy' I suppose.

If McConaughey being crazy means I get performances like the ones in 'MUD,' and 'Killer Joe,' then I'll gladly have him stark raving.

OT: Ooooh, that looks really good. It looks really contemplative and well thought out, exactly the kind of Sci-Fi I like.

I don't get it. Really not seeing much to get all that excited about yet.

I mean, it's a (seemingly decently realistic) space movie, and we really need more of those to maybe kinda hopefully get the public interested in space exploration again, but I'm not seeing anything here that actually makes me interested in the movie. Maybe I'm just blind.

King Whurdler:

FizzyIzze:

If McConaughey being crazy means I get performances like the ones in 'MUD,' and 'Killer Joe,' then I'll gladly have him stark raving.

OT: Ooooh, that looks really good. It looks really contemplative and well thought out, exactly the kind of Sci-Fi I like.

Hmm, Mud is on Netflix Streaming. Might have to check it out.

The_Darkness:
Yikes. That's by FAR the most realistic looking wormhole I've ever seen on screen. None of this cloudy blue wavy stuff from Star Trek, or glowing warp stars or anything like that - just, well, a decent impression of bent space.

One has to ask how you know what a wormhole/bent space looks like.

But, yeah, this looks like an interesting movie about doing what humans are destined to do: Colonize other planets.

Interesting, if a bit annoying that there's a "lone parent with kids" thing going on.

Because exploring space through an untested method of traversal isn't scary and daunting enough, of course we need to crowbar in a family somewhere!

But perhaps I am jaded, needless to say, the trailer has gripped me with interest.

Will take a note to observe this as it develops.

I just saw this trailer today as it was one of the trailers for Godzilla.

It kind of look interesting (it does look like the Earth is dying since the launch off is not as fancy and the whole burning crop thing).

The_Darkness:
...Can anyone identify the trailer music?

I'm guessing it's original to the movie, done by Hans Zimmer. The "Interstellar" link on his official/unofficial sites turn up nothing as well. Looks like you'll have to wait until the movie comes out.

The Gentleman:

The_Darkness:

A degree in astrophysics, a decent knowledge of gravitational lensing (which is bent space) and a ridiculous amount of my spare time thinking about how light would travel through a 4d tunnel...

You did ask :)

The_Darkness:

The Gentleman:

The_Darkness:

A degree in astrophysics, a decent knowledge of gravitational lensing (which is bent space) and a ridiculous amount of my spare time thinking about how light would travel through a 4d tunnel...

You did ask :)

I'll take your word for it. If anything else, this movie seems to be going for a "if this were real" vibe.

FizzyIzze:

The_Darkness:

I'm guessing it's original to the movie, done by Hans Zimmer. The "Interstellar" link on his official/unofficial sites turn up nothing as well. Looks like you'll have to wait until the movie comes out.

Ordinarily I agree... Except that I know I recognise the piece from somewhere...

If this movie is a 2001 but with a more focus on the charterers relationships, I could dig it.

I bet you all that McConaughey will transcends physical form. He becomes a floating, omnipotent intelligence, the star-child, oblivion, whatever, I am calling it.

Because it looks like that.

Shiftygiant:
If this movie is a 2001 but with a more focus on the charterers relationships, I could dig it.

I bet you all that McConaughey will transcends physical form. He becomes a floating, omnipotent intelligence, the star-child, oblivion, whatever, I am calling it.

Personally I'm betting that he comes home about a month later... To find his daughter fully grown up because years have passed back on Earth.

The_Darkness:

FizzyIzze:

The_Darkness:

Ordinarily I agree... Except that I know I recognise the piece from somewhere...

IT's Evey Reborn from V for Vendetta, I only know that because I've been listening to the soundtrack for a while.

The_Darkness:

Shiftygiant:

Personally I'm betting that he comes home about a month later... To find his daughter fully grown up because years have passed back on Earth.

Yeah, Relativity typically does not react well to you bending the very fabric of spacetime

Captcha: Is it hot?

Who flicked the mode switch to "Sent." again?

Hmm. I am not on board with the whole 'Earth is doomed' trope and the family thing, but the space stuff looks gorgeous. I guess I'll have to see, I didn't expect much from Inception either but I absolutely loved that.

Whatever it's going to be, more actualy sci-fi is never a bad thing!

AgentQV:

The_Darkness:

IT's Evey Reborn from V for Vendetta, I only know that because I've been listening to the soundtrack for a while.

Ah, thank you. Yes, it definitely is. I've got the scene in my mind now. Cheers.

truckspond:

The_Darkness:

Yeah, Relativity typically does not react well to you bending the very fabric of spacetime

Plus, I can see it working as decent drama to put a bittersweet twist on enfolding events. Especially if we can see that she's getting older, but the idea doesn't even occur to McConaughey's character. At least, that's what I'd do. Though I doubt that Christopher Nolan and myself think that much alike...

Spielberg and Nolan? How can that work? The typical Spielbergian sentiment makes me puke. I tried to watch Close Encounters yesterday and I couldn't stand it. I needed a memory wipe to get rid of the sugar in my blood from seeing AI and I get a gag reflex, shivers and start sweating when I think of being forced to watch E.T. Sheesh he even managed to fuck up Super 8 which was at least half decent. Seriously is he trying to made sci-fi for middle-aged women or what?

I like Nolan, well not much but I still do, but if Spielberg is involved, I'm gonna stay far away from this. I don't want my ears to melt from the forced sentimental ending scene music fatality attack.

Okay that was too negative, sorry, but this stuff really makes me sick.

The Gentleman:

The_Darkness:

I can confirm that the dude is probably right, as a similar-looking thing was part of my random Astronomy course at college. It was actually really neat to see it represented this way in a trailer, especially that dive into it at the end.

I'm no expert but from what I can recall, the reason that wormholes/black holes look like that is because they actually bend light around them due to the effects of their gravitational pull, so flying around one of them would produce that weird "cloaked sphere" effect.

The whole kids/single parent thing just kills it for me.
We can all relate to losing someone important and a lot of us understand the fear of letting someone go and what might happen if you're not there for them... but it's an especially American trait in movies to make it as mopey and overdramatic as entirely possible.

I'm fine with praising the individual, but I doubt a lot of people would be so hesitant to not only go to space, or make completely mindblowing discoveries, but to also save our entire species by finding a new home.

I sincerely have my doubts that it's worth watching. Several very likely scenarios have already been listed in this thread.

scotth266:

I can confirm that the dude is probably right, as a similar-looking thing was part of my random Astronomy course at college. It was actually really neat to see it represented this way in a trailer, especially that dive into it at the end.

I'm no expert but from what I can recall, the reason that wormholes/black holes look like that is because they actually bend light around them due to the effects of their gravitational pull, so flying around one of them would produce that weird "cloaked sphere" effect.

Now I'm not an expert either, nor have I taken an astronomy class, but I'm pretty sure a wormhole is a theoretical phenomenon that connects two parts of space, possibly in different times, while a black hole is just a super dense singularity (with extreme gravitational pull) of some sort that most likely doesn't lead anywhere.

So the thing is.. there's no particular reason that a wormhole should have any pull or be able to bend light. As far as I understand, there's no reason there should be any sort of special visual effect to it.

Anyway, that's how I understand it.

I don't know. I want to be like, "this looks awesome". But the trailer... I mean, Nolan seems to be an expert at taking exciting and interesting things and making them kind of depressing.

It could be presented as: mankind must venture into the stars to save itself, this is the story of that first step!

It's presented as: we are all fucked, a man must leave behind his dying family to endure a journey that is hopeless!

Eh, maybe it's just me.

scotth266:

The Gentleman:

The_Darkness:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot see a black hole at all since no light escapes from them. You would literally need to know where stars should be compared to where they are in order to figure out the location. There would be a noticeable parallax from light bending but not being absorbed by the black hole, from distant stars. Though, as I understand, some forms of radiation escape a black hole, so you could detect them with the right instruments. But you could never see one with the naked eye.

As long as his brother is writing it there is some potential. Christopher Nolan often says his brother is 'the writer' while he's the film-maker and he is right! Christopher Nolan wrote Inception which was a convoluted mess. His best movies are the ones where his brother writes the screenplay (excluding Dark Knight Rises).

I am getting a very 'Inception'-esque idea here with the trailer though. Not knowing what it's about doesn't really make me want to see it. Please don't force some BS in it like Inception.

The_Darkness:

The Wormholes in EVE Online are like that, they are spherical distortions and you can see the solar system on the other side through it. They used these concepts as a guide for the visual design.

Baresark:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot see a black hole at all since no light escapes from them. You would literally need to know where stars should be compared to where they are in order to figure out the location. There would be a noticeable parallax from light bending but not being absorbed by the black hole, from distant stars. Though, as I understand, some forms of radiation escape a black hole, so you could detect them with the right instruments. But you could never see one with the naked eye.

Well, the point is, you're not actually seeing the black hole.

You're seeing light from behind/around it. Any light that paths straight into the black hole from the source to your eyes is consumed.

However, light that is near the edges of the event horizon is curved, but not drawn in. Thus, you get a refractive lens effect. Similar to if you look at concave/convex glass lenses and look at the edges compared to the center.

So you don't ever "see" the black hole simply because no light comes from it. However, if you were close to the event horizon enough to visually look at it, you would be able to tell(if there was enough light sources to see the effect) that space was distorted.

As for the trailer, what killed it for me was right at the beginning.

Where he comments he's an engineer, and the military space general man makes the jab that 'We don't need more engineers, we already have enough TVs, we need food'

....what do you think engineers....do?
Engineers are given a problem and told to figure out how to solve it. Solving a food shortage would probably be something you could give to engineers.

That, and why is this guy the guy that goes on this interstellar trip? If he's some random engineer/scientist/resident smart guy, why plop him on your random expedition to the stars? Did he draw the short straw at work that day?

The_Darkness:

That was my immediate thought as well. Going into the trailer I knew what the general plot was about, and I knew it involved wormholes (thanks to Kip Thorne), but in the back of my mind I kept thinking, "I bet they messed up the look of the wormhole. I bet it looks like something out of Stargate."

What a relief this wasn't the case. Kudos to Nolan and his team for aiming for some amalgam of realism.

I'm also getting a worrying vibe that relativity might have something to say about them coming home from this trip within a reasonable timescale.

My guess is that either the wormhole will provide some kind of narrative work-around for this issue or the varied time scales will play into the plot in some way.

But yeah. This looks good. Can anyone identify the trailer music?

I believe it's this -

Is this a joke?! Because it sure looks like it! Lone Southern Ranger looking for his family to get his family of the planet that the damn aliens roasted, Yeah, never heard of that before!

OWENR22:
I'm getting a pretty strong Contact vibe from this.

OT: I remember seeing this before the Godzilla showing on Thursday... I still don't know how I should feel about this movie or how there's that many studios willing to back this movie up...

Eh... I'll wait until someone "drags" me to see this movie with them, I guess...

Amaror:
Is this a joke?! Because it sure looks like it! Lone Southern Ranger looking for his family to get his family of the planet that the damn aliens roasted, Yeah, never heard of that before!

What trailer did you watch? Because it sure as hell wasn't the one for Interstellar.

XD

looks good. just hope that it will not focus to much on the single parent part. that part was actually boring in the trailer.

Amaror:

Wat?

I... wat?

Give the time point in the trailer where he was either A. looking for his family, or B. anything aliens. -___-

OT: Huh. Looks interesting, but I doubt I'm going to go for it. It looks to be either be utterly tragic or hilariously sentimental in the end.

So... why is the farmer (I know the trailer said he was smart and had a degree in engineering) the one going on the trip into space? Is this so far into the future we no longer have ANY space programs?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here