The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4 - "Like DVD vs. Blu-ray" Says Naughty Dog

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4 - "Like DVD vs. Blu-ray" Says Naughty Dog

The Last of Us bite

The Last of Us' PS4 HD remaster was a lot more work than Naughty Dog anticipated.

"I wish we had a button that was like 'Turn On PS4 Mode', but no," The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann told Edge Online. "We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds... that took a long time." But, in the end Druckmann says the effort has been well worth it, as the difference between the two versions of the game is night and day.

"[It is] akin to looking at a DVD versus Blu-ray," claims Druckmann. The Last of Us PS4 version will use the PS3 version's high-definition cutsene models as the in-game player models, and while Druckmann says that the subtler details will be wasted when the camera sits so far from players, every detail counts at 1080p.

"Star Wars comes to mind. I'm more of a fan of the original cut and Han Solo shooting first.

As for fans who are worried the team will take this opportunity to make edits to the game, Druckmann says that The Last of Us' PS4 version will be an untouched port. "We have a really hard time playing the game, because we constantly see things and think, 'Oh, man, I could've done that better, I could've written that better, that animation pop over there, that transition...' but once you start going down that road, where do you stop? At what point are you making the experience just different or worse?"

Druckmann also says the team is having a hard time highlighting the differences between the two games through traditional advertising methods. "We have the game running in 1080p at 60fps, and YouTube brings it down to 30fps and does a compression on it, and it's hard to tell the difference."

In the end, he says that this will absolutely be the definitive version of the game, as although "It's not a totally brand-new experience ... [it] is much closer to how the director and the team initially saw it."

Source: Edge Online

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what improvements they've made to this title. I'll probably pick it up after I've paid off my car insurance.

So... does that mean that if there was a PC version it would be a Super Blu Ray then (discoutning future emulation of PS4 which would indeed look better then what the PS4 can do)?

They are spot on about YouTube though :P ... wish it was possible for there to be less copression :(

Soooo much more expensive and kind of pointless and not well adopted?

Like DvD vs. Blu-ray? So, incredibly overpriced and with barely any visible difference?

flarty:

Charcharo:
So... does that mean that if there was a PC version it would be a Super Blu Ray then (discoutning future emulation of PS4 which would indeed look better then what the PS4 can do)?

Not even 3 posts in and someone has to post the "hur duh dur would look even better on PC."
No shit Sherlock, thanks for pointing out something that everyone knew. Guess what though this is a Sony exclusive so that comment is just pointless and redundant.

OT: This is one of the few console games I adore, and will probably pick up a copy when i eventually get sound to picking up a ps4.

Of coarse I know its a Sony exclusive. Its held hostage, the poor game :P .
Though it is not redundant. Maybe in the not so close future, we can see a PS4 version emulated.

Will want to play it again on the PS4 though. The PS3 version, which I liked as a game, was ... hard for me to play.

Charcharo:

They are spot on about YouTube though :P ... wish it was possible for there to be less copression :(

I don't know, maybe?, assuming from 10 years from now that PS4 emulation is 100% legal.

Sounds more like you're in here just to go "oh that's nice but I;d rather emulate it on PC because that's my preferred platform and I like to make that known so I'll gladly not buy any of it and emulate it for free in the near future".

Also quit with the held hostage BS, PC has their games held hostage and this gen is "so alike" in architecture so really again the older PC games are still being "held hostage", really shitty way of complaining to something you could just easily buy in the end and actually support, but hey that's obviously quite beneath you.

And I know you say "will want to play it on PS4 though", then why the whole talk of it being emulated?, it;s like saying a false sorry but you didn't mean it which means you're going to emulate it anyway, how do we know you're going to play it on PS4?, take your word for it?.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Charcharo:

I don't know, maybe?, assuming from 10 years from now that PS4 emulation is 100% legal.

Sounds more like you're in here just to go "oh that's nice but I;d rather emulate it on PC because that's my preferred platform and I like to make that known so I'll gladly not buy any of it and emulate it for free in the near future".

Also quit with the held hostage BS, PC has their games held hostage and this gen is "so alike" in architecture so really again the older PC games are still being "held hostage", really shitty way of complaining to something you could just easily buy in the end and actually support, but hey that's obviously quite beneath you.

And I know you say "will want to play it on PS4 though", then why the whole talk of it being emulated?, it;s like saying a false sorry but you didn't mean it which means you're going to emulate it anyway, how do we know you're going to play it on PS4?, take your word for it?.

Fortunately, as a person that has bought the PS3 and MAYBE (if its cheap) can get a PS4 version later, I will be honest here: I do not care whether in 10-20-30 ( NOT near future mate...) years it is considered legal. My own head will be free of worry, I already payed once (or maybe twice) by then for the game. So, for me personally, it wont matter.

The games hostage part: that is to a certain extent an actual monetary problem for PC developers AND a problem of console manufacturers. For an example, technically, the PS4 and Xbox One should be able to have mods. They should also be able to play STALKER. They cant though. Explain that. The hardware itself works with the game. But the OSes do not.
And publishing a game on PC is free. On consoles it is not. So it is not the same thing :P

As for why play it on PS4. Simple. I cant wait.

George Superguin:
Like DvD vs. Blu-ray? So, incredibly overpriced and with barely any visible difference?

I'm the last guy to defend console games and PR talk, but what you're saying is bs. Even 720p vids look much better than a DVD.
I don't know how the PS3 version is running, but if, let's say, they bring it from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, then the game will look and feel much better.

I can tell you just by playing Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn on both the PS3 and PS4:

The PS4 is a FAR better machine and it can handle those animations, cutscenes and details so much better. I'm not a fan of this game, but at least I can say that people that ARE fans of this game and that have a PS4 will not be disappointed. Not in the slightest.

Shame the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, then the DVD-Bluray comparison could mean "like putting in the PS3 version and having it upscaled to 1080p anyway, even though it isn't natively so". But it's not, so I see what they're saying.

It's strange to me that Naughty Dog, absolute masters of Sony architecture, are bringing a game that was impressive for doing everything it could with the CELL and 256mb RAM to the new x86 architecture as their first PS4 game. I'm sure it's nerve wracking if they're taking the source code and making TLoO as if it were a native PS4 game as opposed to straight up porting it and raising the resolution/fps, which I hope the former is happening.

I can't afford a PS4 right now (and the Wii U is going to be my next console purchase anyway) but when I do eventually get one this will be the first game I play on it. The Last Of Us looked great on the PS3 but it was clear they were struggling hard against the upper limit of what the hardware was capable of.

Charcharo:
Fortunately, as a person that has bought the PS3 and MAYBE (if its cheap) can get a PS4 version later, I will be honest here: I do not care whether in 10-20-30 ( NOT near future mate...) years it is considered legal. My own head will be free of worry, I already payed once (or maybe twice) by then for the game. So, for me personally, it wont matter.

The games hostage part: that is to a certain extent an actual monetary problem for PC developers AND a problem of console manufacturers. For an example, technically, the PS4 and Xbox One should be able to have mods. They should also be able to play STALKER. They cant though. Explain that. The hardware itself works with the game. But the OSes do not.
And publishing a game on PC is free. On consoles it is not. So it is not the same thing :P

We've been over that before not too long ago so you should know where I stand on that. What emotion you attach to something does not, and never will make it correct.

Many games "held hostage" would likely not have been made if not for their "captors". This nonsense is laughable especially when people who say such things are normally part of that group of PC gamers who get all in a huff n' puff when one of their internet darlings debuts on a console for the first time.

Rozalia1:

Charcharo:

We've been over that before not too long ago so you should know where I stand on that. What emotion you attach to something does not, and never will make it correct.

Many games "held hostage" would likely not have been made if not for their "captors". This nonsense is laughable especially when people who say such things are normally part of that group of PC gamers who get all in a huff n' puff when one of their internet darlings debuts on a console for the first time.

I know we had it before. Though in the end you agreed with the buying a game and then emulating it :) .

Anyways, whatever you believe works for you, fine. I approve. For me it does not. Saying it is not right/correct, wont really make me bat an eye and wont actually make me believe it. Difference in morals, I hold some in higher regard and others in MUCH lower then you. As simple as that.

The second point is finally something though. A good example is Bayoneta I believe. Unfortunately, I did not understand the rest mate :(

Charcharo:

No, if it was a PC game it would have been released as early access 2 years ago for $30 and look worse then the PS3 version. After 2 years of trying to help the 90% of PC users with shit computers Naughty Dog would have gone out of buisness, EA would have bought them out and stripped their developer base, released it on a Fremium model with MMORPG elements, and required you to have Origin to play it.

Oh and after 2 weeks the 90% of PC gamers who are criminal pirates will have stripped out all the DLC requirements and made sure the game will never turn a profit even in it's stripped down state, and killed the IP.

But yeah, thankfully that didn't happen.

I'd say the most notable difference between PS3/4 and BD/DVD is that I can watch my Star Wars[1] DVDs on a BD player. It may not be as sharp or fluid, but I don't need to spend another 40-60 bucks just to play the game on a new system. You don't need to keep your old player to play your old games, and you can upgrade with a built-in collection.

In short, BD changes are completely up to the end users: if they want better picture and possibly sound[2], they can opt in. For a PS4 user, these changes are not.

Well, at least they didn't wipe out TLOU PS3 from existence, so I guess there's that.

Charcharo:

Long as you're aware you're not talking legal emulation anymore.

[1] Or pick your movie of choice, but I saw Star Wars references
[2] depending on the audio choices

NiPah:

Charcharo:

No, if it was a PC game it would have been released as early access 2 years ago for $30 and look worse then the PS3 version. After 2 years of trying to help the 90% of PC users with shit computers Naughty Dog would have gone out of buisness, EA would have bought them out and stripped their developer base, released it on a Fremium model with MMORPG elements, and required you to have Origin to play it.

Oh and after 2 weeks the 90% of PC gamers who are criminal pirates will have stripped out all the DLC requirements and made sure the game will never turn a profit even in it's stripped down state, and killed the IP.

Quite the strange exageration.
Though TLOU itself is a relatively poor looking game :( . Does not stop it from being quite damned good though.

Zachary Amaranth:
I'd say the most notable difference between PS3/4 and BD/DVD is that I can watch my Star Wars[1] DVDs on a BD player. It may not be as sharp or fluid, but I don't need to spend another 40-60 bucks just to play the game on a new system. You don't need to keep your old player to play your old games, and you can upgrade with a built-in collection.

In short, BD changes are completely up to the end users: if they want better picture and possibly sound[2], they can opt in. For a PS4 user, these changes are not.

Well, at least they didn't wipe out TLOU PS3 from existence, so I guess there's that.

Charcharo:

Long as you're aware you're not talking legal emulation anymore.

I have to be honest here, all of these strange arguements on legality are new to me. Seems like (and I mean it in no way as trying to pick something with you mate, you do not deserve it) strange bullshit talk or wooden philosophy(in my language, almost same thing). As long as one has purchased the original, I honestly could not care less whether they choose to emulate it or not. Whether someone thinks it is legal or illegal, under those conditions I outlined here, to me it is 100% legal until I am at gunpoint/change my way of thought.

Captcha: know your paradoxes
Kinda agree captcha

[1] Or pick your movie of choice, but I saw Star Wars references
[2] depending on the audio choices

Charcharo:

NiPah:

Charcharo:

Though TLOU itself is a relatively poor looking game :( . Does not stop it from being quite damned good though.

Oh I wasn't saying TLOU was a bad looking game, it's quite a good looking game.
I was just saying it would have looked like crap if it was made for the PC.

going off of what you said before if it was made directly for PC it would have looked like the 240p Russian car cam uploaded on Youtube with the "free use" watermark, instead of the DVD PS3 or BD PS4.

NiPah:

Charcharo:

NiPah:

going off of what you said before if it was made directly for PC it would have looked like the 240p Russian car cam uploaded on Youtube with the "free use" watermark, instead of the DVD PS3 or BD PS4.

You do not want to go there :D (even though I acknowledge you are joking)
I actually meant it looks bad. Compared even to low budget PC games from 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLHAPPkvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLR2tYRubw

So basically they are telling me I would be wasting more of my time if I were to get the PS4 version, good to know! Sorry, but if the great new feature of the port is "looks slightly better!" that won't be cracking my wallet open very far.

Charcharo:

The second point is finally something though. A good example is Bayoneta I believe. Unfortunately, I did not understand the rest mate :(

Wouldn't all the games out of the studios owned by the big three be examples? I mean some of those companies were acquired so some would likely still exist if not for the big three, but would they still have the capital behind them? Unlikely, they'd likely have produced a couple of games before being sacrificed at EA's alter at some point.

What is confusing to understand? I thought it was pretty clear.
Normally people who complain about "hostages" want the games on the PC, but will get their panties in a bunch when told their PC exclusive/its sequel is now heading to consoles (e.g Crysis).
Some mask their reason for getting pissed with valid comments, others don't bother...but they all deep down have the same reason.

Rozalia1:

Charcharo:

Wouldn't all the games out of the studios owned by the big three be examples? I mean some of those companies were acquired so some would likely still exist if not for the big three, but would they still have the capital behind them? Unlikely, they'd likely have produced a couple of games before being sacrificed at EA's alter at some point.

Normally people who complain about "hostages" want the games on the PC, but will get their panties in a bunch when told their PC exclusive/its sequel is now heading to consoles (e.g Crysis).
Some mask their reason for getting pissed with valid comments, others don't bother...but they all deep down have the same reason.

PC gamers don't want console ports to avoid the series being dumbed down, such as how Crysis 2 went from the open island setting to a corridor shooter with downgraded visuals.

Why would we care otherwise?

I never got the game for the PS3, and I'm looking forward to playing it for the first time on the PS4. I am their intended audience, and thus, I am pleased by this imminent release.

Naysayers gonna say "nay"

George Superguin:

So what you really mean is a few bucks more with a fairly massive visible difference? Because if you're not seeing a significant difference between DVD and even 720p then I can only think of two explanations. The first being that you have a surprisingly small TV and sit really far from it. But considering I used to have a 26" HDTV that I sat a good 20+feet from and I could still tell the difference I'm not sure you could own a TV small enough or a room large enough for this to be the case. The second possibility is that you need glasses. Which is okay since a lot of people need them, but I hope you won't be driving until you get some. Could be dangerous.

Rozalia1:

Charcharo:

On the first one: not sure. Considering what can be done for less money (as in bigger, more technologically advanced, longer games on smaller budgets)... the actual game's quality would be the same, just the marketing budget would be smaller.

The second point is obvious though. The PS4 for an example cant even play PS3 games, nor PS2 and PS1 games. It wont play multi plats from the previous generations either. Its a problem with money and different software/hardware.
How is it Windows 8 can play older Linux/Win 95/XP/whatever else games? Windows 7 too. Sometimes its not actually easy and MAY require modding the game (for an example, I had to use a fix to play American Conquest). That is for some strange reason impossible on a console. MOST old games work with no problems on PC, but those few that DO can be fixed to work. With the PS4 you do not even have a chance.

And here comes the part with actually needing money to get your game on the Wii U and the Xbox ONe (I think, too tired now). No one ever pays MS or Valve or WG or EA to put a game on a computer. Lower barrier of entry.

Last problem ,which is actually one with console gamers and industry people underestimating them, is with the so calleed "True" PC games. Things like RTS games, advanced shooter/RPG/Horror/open world games like STALKER and some other genres always skip consoles. Problem here is the control method. You can not play STALKER well on a gamepad. It JUST wont happen in a game where you have to navigate menus whilst running and also leaning from side to side and still have quick access keys. The solution is simple : Keyboard and Mouse this time. Problem - the consoles support it, but for some reason NEVER take advantage of it. Therefor console gamers themsleves probably do not know that their console can even accept K&M.
I am almost deadly tired (is that even a real phase?) but now I also see you probably mean that people are annoyed when old games are ported to consoles? Heck if I know on that, I do not see anything wrong with that. Argue it with someone who does. Only thing that may make me worry is if a previously PC only series goes on consoles. That usually means loss of modding (and my friend, that alone is one gigantic, absolutely monumental point that has to be hammered down developers throats, it IS important).

Manlyburger:

Rozalia1:

Charcharo:

PC gamers don't want console ports to avoid the series being dumbed down, such as how Crysis 2 went from the open island setting to a corridor shooter with downgraded visuals.

Honestly, Crysis 2 is technologically SUPERIOR to Crysis 1. Especially with the DX 11 patch and tesselation and HD textures. Just its set in a much different area that it may look worse.
Also Crysis 1 was NOT an open island. It was an OPEN MAP (for the level that is). It was still a corridor, just an expansive, well designed one with interesting gameplay offerings and varied approaches.

Charcharo:

I have to be honest here, all of these strange arguements on legality are new to me. Seems like (and I mean it in no way as trying to pick something with you mate, you do not deserve it) strange bullshit talk or wooden philosophy(in my language, almost same thing).

So simply saying something isn't legal, which is all I've said, is "strange bullshit" or "wooden philosophy?"

That doesn't make sense, no matter how many disclaimers you put on it.

As long as one has purchased the original, I honestly could not care less whether they choose to emulate it or not. Whether someone thinks it is legal or illegal, under those conditions I outlined here, to me it is 100% legal until I am at gunpoint/change my way of thought.

A matter of law is a matter of law. It's absurd to say something is "legal to me."

I don't see why a single purchase entitles you to all future versions of a game, or to violate laws. You're advocating piracy, though, and on The Escapist.

Charcharo:

I am almost deadly tired (is that even a real phase?) but now I also see you probably mean that people are annoyed when old games are ported to consoles? Heck if I know on that, I do not see anything wrong with that. Argue it with someone who does. Only thing that may make me worry is if a previously PC only series goes on consoles. That usually means loss of modding (and my friend, that alone is one gigantic, absolutely monumental point that has to be hammered down developers throats, it IS important).

... So you talk of "hostages" on consoles, yet see nothing wrong with PC gamers wanting to keep "hostages" of their own... Yeah that fits nicely into what I said previously. This painting of the big three as villains for keeping "hostages" isn't going to fly when you give a free pass to a group of hypocrites.

Manlyburger:

And what pray do visuals matter? Did the downgrade result in Crysis losing its oh so "unique" visual style? Wanting more people to enjoy the game means the game has to become more accessible. Be it through downgrading the graphics, or simplifying the mechanics of the game.

Why do you not want more people to enjoy the game?

Zachary Amaranth:

A matter of law is a matter of law. It's absurd to say something is "legal to me."

I don't see why a single purchase entitles you to all future versions of a game, or to violate laws. You're advocating piracy, though, and on The Escapist.

What you feel is legal apparently trumps the actual law to many people on here. I'd wager its because they know its illegal in their heart of hearts, but they don't want to consider themselves criminals/Pirates, or at least admit to being so.

To save some time the reasons for why bringing up the law in all this is apparently wrong are:

1: "Preserving" art/keeping it alive.
2: Game is old so I have rights to play it for free.
3: Screw the man.
4: The law is wrong.
5: The law is right and it totally says my pirating is legal because emulators (software) themselves are legal.
6: Its not sold anywhere so I have free reign (ignore all those games that can still be brought).
7: Game series hasn't had any new games in a while so its been "abandoned".
8: Once upon a time I bought the game, this means I can pirate it even though I only bought a singular copy that was likely in disc/cartridge form.

That all of the arguments that are going to prop up? Or are there any more to add to the list?

I've never seen the dvd version of a movie compared to the blue ray version so i can't even imagine the difference.

Rozalia1:

Manlyburger:

And what pray do visuals matter? Did the downgrade result in Crysis losing its oh so "unique" visual style? Wanting more people to enjoy the game means the game has to become more accessible. Be it through downgrading the graphics, or simplifying the mechanics of the game.

The game was limited in scope so it'd fit into 512MB of RAM, not merely the visuals were changed. And if visuals don't matter, don't buy a current gen console.

So you think every game should have the most simplistic mechanics for "accessibility"? I think I want to play things besides variations on Call of Duty.

What you feel is legal apparently trumps the actual law to many people on here. I'd wager its because they know its illegal in their heart of hearts, but they don't want to consider themselves criminals/Pirates, or at least admit to being so.

To save some time the reasons for why bringing up the law in all this is apparently wrong are:

5: The law is right and it totally says my pirating is legal because emulators (software) themselves are legal.
6: Its not sold anywhere so I have free reign (ignore all those games that can still be brought).
8: Once upon a time I bought the game, this means I can pirate it even though I only bought a singular copy that was likely in disc/cartridge form.

That all of the arguments that are going to prop up? Or are there any more to add to the list?

If they want PC gamers to buy their games, they should probably release them on PC.

NiPah:

Charcharo:

NiPah:

By the time TLOU came out, the PC has long eclipsed the ps3 in power.

The average PC now mocks the ps3. Its been mocking it for years now.

And there are early access games with good graphics, next car game is one of them, as well as assetto corsa. Project cars too.

Games don't need consoles to look good. Because they are weak. A pc game can look good as long as the dev wants it to. Its why PC games always look better than console games. And lets not even get into exclusive features like physx.

well no shit its like DVD going to Blue Ray. i mean the resolution alone is almost exact fit.

"We have the game running in 1080p at 60fps, and YouTube brings it down to 30fps and does a compression on it, and it's hard to tell the difference."

which is why you do screenshot comparisons and host videos on your own site, duh! or you could at least use dailymotion, that one allows 60 fps videos.

Charcharo:

Considering PCs have no problem playing 4k videos and even playing games at that sometimes id say PC would be that, a 4k.

well, youtyube recieves hundreds of hours of video every minute, imagine how much space that would tkae uncompressed. so i can understand some compression applied there, what i dont udnerstand is that people insist that youtube can show graphics quality when the compression does not allow that.

The White Hunter:
Soooo much more expensive and kind of pointless and not well adopted?

blue ray is kidna well adopted now thanks to porn industry. and its not pointless for people who have american internet (read: cant download shit). for games DVDs distribution are great there of course, for video blueray is way beyond DVD in terms of quality, much thnaks to horrible DVD codecs too.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Its not bullshit if its true.
And yes, there are some PC games that are held hostage too. As far as older games though, i dont think you should retroactively port your old games each time new console comes out, only make sure you can port them to all versions on release. the only exception that would allow not porting in my eyes is either the device is incapable of running it (to weak, does not have necessary gimmick, ect) or the devloper admits he is incapable of porting it and the game didnt make enough money to afford hiring someone.

NiPah:

i hope your being fateciuos becuase if your not theres so much wrong here.....

Rozalia1:

so what you are doing, is your are insulting PC gamers, ech?

As for the case of Crysis, the Crysis 2 was donwstripped quite a lot stating the lack of pwoer from the console to run it. if you played both you could clearly see how Crysis 2 was less than crysis 1, so at least in this case the complaints are fully understandable.

Charcharo:

Honestly, Crysis 2 is technologically SUPERIOR to Crysis 1. Especially with the DX 11 patch and tesselation and HD textures. Just its set in a much different area that it may look worse.
Also Crysis 1 was NOT an open island. It was an OPEN MAP (for the level that is). It was still a corridor, just an expansive, well designed one with interesting gameplay offerings and varied approaches.

ech, no. Crysis 1 is still the best example of scalable to your GPU and fully utilizing it game that we have released. that game is a technological wonder. I do admit tesselation on Crysis 2 looks interesting, but that is diminished by other problems it brought up. and if you have to download a HD textures mod to have equal quality.... Its like downloading the UI mod for Skyrim and claiming that UI was not simplified for consoles.

Rozalia1:

Oversimplifying situation. first of all, it was not just the visuals that got downgraded. the maps, the AI, the UI, weapons, all of that got downgraded as well, and significantly (in fact you lost half of your suit powers, and physics with it too). So its not just a visual downgrade.

As far as visual, well, visuals sell. like it or not, its one of the strongest selling points games has. Crysis itself is a perfect proof of that, their campaign was all about "best graphics" and it sold in millions.

As for your ending question, answer is simple. ever heard the saying, jack of all trades master of none? Id rather prefer a game be made where a niche audience enjoys it immensly rather than a wider audience think its "meh, ok". by trying to "appeal to everybody" we got into situation we are now - brown military shooters all the way.

Rozalia1:

Oh, trust me, I know. And to some extent, I even get the concept of "The law is wrong." I've argued against laws before and gotten involved in changing them. I'm just not a fan of rationalising. Especially something as ridiculous as "it's not illegal to me." There are issues with copyright laws, and IP laws in a broader sense. And maybe emulation is even a victimless crime in this sense, but the poster was still talking about the superiority of an illegal method of accessing a game. And specifically your eighth example, that someone once bought a game and so that entitles them to have access to it forever and ever in any format for any reason.

Zachary Amaranth:

Charcharo:

I have to be honest here, all of these strange arguements on legality are new to me. Seems like (and I mean it in no way as trying to pick something with you mate, you do not deserve it) strange bullshit talk or wooden philosophy(in my language, almost same thing).

So simply saying something isn't legal, which is all I've said, is "strange bullshit" or "wooden philosophy?"

That doesn't make sense, no matter how many disclaimers you put on it.

snip

It does to me. First of, I am not even certain it is illegal and second... that is in the distant future, who knows the official stance.

As for a matter of law. I am not certain. I am NOT ADVOCATING piracy (even though people should be able to talk about it, not here though...) and have no idea how you arrived to that conclusion.

Rozalia1:

Charcharo:

snip.

... So you talk of "hostages" on consoles, yet see nothing wrong with PC gamers wanting to keep "hostages" of their own... Yeah that fits nicely into what I said previously. This painting of the big three as villains for keeping "hostages" isn't going to fly when you give a free pass to a group of hypocrites.

Manlyburger:

Zachary Amaranth:

snip

You got the Crysis part wrong. Apparently LESS people enjoy it from Crysis 2 onwards. It is not about the graphics (which are AS good or better in C2) but about the actual gameplay, multiplayer AND modding scene. Simple as that.
As for the second part: No, I do not even belive it is illegal. Reasons number 1, 4 (though the law states no such thing) and 6 (because many can not) are enough of reasons to me. And a combo of 8 + 6. Beyond that, even if it was illegal (and it is not) I will honest- I do not care, nor do I respect your stance as a possible right one (even though I try).

You totally missed my point on PC exclusives though...

Strazdas:
snip

I played both and like both. To me Crysis 2 just looks graphically better. And it runs slightly better too.

Zachary Amaranth:

Rozalia1:

Snip

Oh, trust me, I know. And to some extent, I even get the concept of "The law is wrong." I've argued against laws before and gotten involved in changing them. I'm just not a fan of rationalising. Especially something as ridiculous as "it's not illegal to me." There are issues with copyright laws, and IP laws in a broader sense. And maybe emulation is even a victimless crime in this sense, but the poster was still talking about the superiority of an illegal method of accessing a game. And specifically your eighth example, that someone once bought a game and so that entitles them to have access to it forever and ever in any format for any reason.

The thing is... I still have not been shown proof that emulation is illegal, nor that emluating TLOU PS4 version in 12 years time will be illegal.
From the only objecive point in gaming (tech), it is true. An emulated game is actually superior to the original. Not as gameplay and story, but in looks, frames, load times, resolution and so on. It simply IS better.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here