BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

BioWare Reveals Most Used Cmdr. Shepard Names in Mass Effect

Mass Effect Names

The most used female and male names for Commander Shepard in Mass Effect has just been revealed by BioWare.

While we've yet to hear any official news regarding the next entry in the Mass Effect franchise aside from a few concept photos, BioWare has updated its blog and revealed what the most used names were in the hit action-RPG franchise. Unsurprisingly, the default character names (Jane/John) were the most commonly used, but those who "ventured off the beaten path," and changed their Shepard's name to a different one, the results on which name was the most famous can be seen below.

For those who chose to have their Commander Shepard be a female, the most common name was Sarah; while for males it was Jack. The list rounds of the top five for each gender, and even lists the most used names in Germany (Sarah/Chris), Italy (Sarah/Alex), Russia (Kate/Alex), France (Sarah/David), Spain (Alice/Alex), and Poland (Kate/Adam).

For more Mass Effect news, BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn has revealed that a Mass Effect trilogy remastered for both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 has been considered by the studio. Also, don't forget to check out these Mass Effect LEGO mini figures that lets you assemble your squad in the cutest way possible.

As someone who almost always chooses the default name in RPGs, I admit, I'm a bit giddy that my name (Alex) is in both top five lists. What name did you use for your Commander Shepard? Is it part of the top five or something less vanilla?

Source: BioWare

I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.

'Alex' eh? Aside from being your namesake, I remember it was the name given in one of the Deus Ex games, which was a clever way of accommodating both male and female players.

I went with Alexander for my ManShep so I suppose I'm right in there with one of the more popular choices. I know some have complained about the top names being too pedestrian, but given that Shepherd is a human I thing the more pedestrian names fit better than some strange alien option.

Objectable:
I'm surprised "Cocksucker" or "XXX360NoScope666XXX" aren't on there. I've played the games a couple dozen times and always chose those.

I'm surprised "Titty", "Beefcake" or "Sweetcheeks" aren't on the list...

It makes it much more entertaining to think that in universe Savior-of-the-fucking-Galaxy Shepard had some damn embarrassing first name, and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT, and just calls him/her Commander Shepard, while desperately trying not to burst out laughing in your face

Really? I am one of the only Ass Sheppards in Mass Effect?

I'm not mad at you interwebs,

but, I am disappointed...

I went with April for my female option, and Fargo for my male option. I'm so unique! I always create them first, and then choose a name that felt fitting for their appearance.

Hawkeye21:

Objectable:

Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names

The first time I played mass effect I was drinking and decided it would be "hilarious" when his name was Poncho.

I had to play as Poncho Sheppard for three games.

Objectable:

Hawkeye21:

Objectable:

Really, if last names were an option, my Shepard would have so many different names

Thanks for the list, though I already kinda used some of those. I always thought that having a right name makes games with overly manly protagonists much more entertaining to play

Huh, I went with 'Jack'.

I feel weirdly validated for some stupid reason.

Names were as follows: James and Daervin for males, Scarlet and Alyx for girls. Whig makes mr wonder if they counted my "Alyx" as their "Alex"

Objectable:

Hawkeye21:

Objectable:

That list is what I imagine everyone in Gears of War is named.

As for me; ManShep: Adrian, FemShep: Katherine.

Apparently none of my Shepards made the list.

Femshep Infiltrator - Kyra
Femshep Adept - Kiana
Femshep Soldier - Alexia
Broshep Vanguard - Wolfgang

I went for Siobhan Shepard for my main playthrough.

May have rolled a Kate as an alt...

I'm surprised that "FemShep" wasn't used as a first name as much like what I did.

I've used three of them: Sarah, Alex, and Kate.

You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)

Bumfluff isn't on there :(

It's good to know that the people that ended up buying ME were indeed the demographic Bioware was aiming for. The bland people that would name a character Jack in a fucking space war.

Tuesday Night Fever:
Apparently none of my Shepards made the list.

Femshep Infiltrator - Kyra
Femshep Adept - Kiana
Femshep Soldier - Alexia

Or mine:

Male Vanguard: Trigger (Like Tracer Bullet from Calvin & Hobbes)

FemShep Adapt: Koff (Just sounded cool)

Anais was my main (though still need to sit down and go through ME3)with Anemone and Viola as alts.

Reaper195:
You see, I was smart. I called My Sheppard 'Commander', so everyone at least referred to her by her first name sometimes (Seriously though, I never understood US entertainment and everyone being refereed to by their last name)

Its the way you do things in the millitary. You call the person "Sir/Mam", their rank, or their last name. Its rude to call them by their first.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Hah, I like this one. Wolfgang Shepard, in honor of his German grandad :)

This first place, Jack, is weird. It's so close to the default name, why would you even change it...

I think my guy was Dorian, or something. The fem Shep... don't remember, gotta check.

Objectable:

Hawkeye21:

Objectable:

Hey, what do you think you're doing, trying to start a mutiny? In space? A space mutiny?

Genocidicles:
Huh, I went with 'Jack'.

I feel weirdly validated for some stupid reason.

That's my actual name, imagine how I feel.

But yeah, kind of weird to see. I don't think Jack is a particularly common character name, and while I know it's fairly common IRL I doubt it's that overwhelming.

Still, good to see I guess!

Reaper195:

I was in the US Air Force for 6 years, and I can count the number of fellow airmen whose first names I knew on one hand. You're either your surname or your rank.

I wonder how many named theirs "Alan" just for a giggle...

I think this is a good look into what this generation's kids' names are going to be like.

Jack is an amazing name.

Well, in almost any RPG I use my own name for my main character or my name spelled backwards (thanks for the idea Recess), but for Mass Effect I just use the default name.

FizzyIzze:
'Alex' eh? Aside from being your namesake, I remember it was the name given in one of the Deus Ex games, which was a clever way of accommodating both male and female players.

That was actually the ONLY thing clever about Invisible Wars, giving you the option to choose between male and female and BOTH were named Alex, well played Warren Spector, it's a shame the rest of the game is pure and unadultered garbage.

nevarran:

Tuesday Night Fever:

Hah, I like this one. Wolfgang Shepard, in honor of his German grandad :)

I actually named him after a randomly generated character from the original XCOM. Back when I was at college some roommates and I were trying to play the game for our first time, but none of us knew any of the controls, didn't have a manual, and the UI wasn't particularly helpful. Needless to say, our team got slaughtered... except for one lone badass. His name was Wolfgang Gunkel, and he was an expert at killing things with grenades.

Ever since then we started naming characters in other games after him. For a while we actually started creating a little story about how they were actually all related, creating a sort of Tommy Westphall Universe for gaming. By the time we graduated there were something like 25 generations of Wolfgang Gunkels.

I don't know about my roommates, but I still honor the guy whenever I get a chance to make a named character. Like when I played Guild Wars 2 and named my Human Engineer after him, and became an expert at killing things with grenades.

I suspect they cheated and left out the truly most populair ones because they where profane.
Anyway, I always use my cool nickname for RPG heroes.
But next time I might name my Link "Fagballs", you know, to honor Yahtzee's awesome Phantom Hourglass review ;)

Kinda surprised "Adrian" wasn't one of those top 5 names. Could've sworn Bioware did this poll years ago and it was one of the more common names back then.

I feel unique having named my Shepard's Johanathan, Cassandra, and Christine

SupahGamuh:
Well, in almost any RPG I use my own name for my main character or my name spelled backwards (thanks for the idea Recess), but for Mass Effect I just use the default name.

FizzyIzze:

That was actually the ONLY thing clever about Invisible Wars, giving you the option to choose between male and female and BOTH were named Alex, well played Warren Spector, it's a shame the rest of the game is pure and unadultered garbage.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything beyond the 'Alex' androgyny, with old wounds being what they are.

I checked my names in Mass Effect 1 and I really have no idea what the hell I was thinking:

Soldier
Yob'gineer
Dingus H.

Didn't expect Jessica to be on that list to begin with. Mostly because that was the name for mine (and ONLY. Had a second, male but that guy was just there for the sake of farming achievements in the first game)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here