Oculus Rift Coming Soon to a Chuck E. Cheese's Near You

Oculus Rift Coming Soon to a Chuck E. Cheese's Near You

Chuck E Cheese 310x

"Where a kid can be a...starbound fighter pilot battling his or her way through an asteroid field!"

I honestly cannot tell you when I last stepped foot into a Chuck E. Cheese, but you can be damn sure I'm bringing my five-year-old niece there after today's Oculus Rift news.

Later this month, Chuck E. Cheese will launch a six-week test run with Oculus hardware, starting at a location in Dallas, Texas. Other DFW-area Chuck E. Cheese's will soon follow suit, as well as locations in San Diego, California, and Orlando, Florida.

The Oculus hardware will be available to birthday parties scheduled during the trial run. The game of choice? "Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster," a custom title created by Dallas-based Reel FX.

Reel FX has been working with Chuck E. Cheese for several years on other projects, and it just so happens that they were early Oculus Rift supporters as well, dating back to the 2012 Kickstarter campaign.

"We believe that virtual reality eventually will be as popular as our handheld devices," said Reel FX founder and Executive Creative Director Dale Carman. "It's a game-changer, and we're investing incredible time and talent into developing content for the Oculus Rift."

Keep in mind that you need to be WITH kids when you go to Chuck E. Cheese's, so please don't go barreling in, solo, asking about their new virtual reality game.

*Applauds*

That photoshop is... well, it's uh... not the worst I've seen?

Anyway, this is the probably I good idea, seeing as children under 12 years of age are their main target demographic and are more likely to buy a headset themselves.

That is a stupid ****ing idea. Kids will get so motion sick.

After seeing the battered state of some of the arcade machines at chucke cheese's, I don't thing it's a good idea to let kids handle such delicate equipment.

This sounds like a great way to get pink eye.

Wow, that's surprising. Not about Oculus Rift, but the fact that Chuck E. Cheese is still operating.

Raziel:

Eh, at least it's different from usually getting it from the ball pit. XD

OT: As others have said, I can see this not being a really good idea for a few reasons. For one, the obvious possibility for motion sickness, and two the fact that little children are around it, and little kids can be quite the little troublemakers at times unless they are supervised.

I fully expected this. If you think about it's a pretty decent way to replace those big laser tag rooms. Get 12 rifts, with 12 omni treadmills and a gun you can hold/move and you save a lot of valuable space for other games/etc

Raziel:

So, THAT'S where Scott Baio has been hiding!

Neronium:

Raziel:

Eh, at least it's different from usually getting it from the ball pit. XD

OT: As others have said, I can see this not being a really good idea for a few reasons. For one, the obvious possibility for motion sickness, and two the fact that little children are around it, and little kids can be quite the little troublemakers at times unless they are supervised.

I thought the ball pit was where you could get a black eye.

OT: This is one of the few decent ideas I've seen for recreational use of the Rift, and it might help advertise and demo the tech. But, what's stopping the whippersnappers from ruining, accidentally or not, a Rift while playing a game of virtual whack-a-mole? Chuck sure isn't gonna hire more help to watch the kiddos and the parents are too busy trying to forget they're trapped in a building full of screaming kids.

synobal:
I fully expected this. If you think about it's a pretty decent way to replace those big laser tag rooms. Get 12 rifts, with 12 omni treadmills and a gun you can hold/move and you save a lot of valuable space for other games/etc

I agree completely. That is the future of arcades.

Hairless Mammoth:
I thought the ball pit was where you could get a black eye.

Well yeah, but that's if you steal the other kids pizza/tokens/tickets, or if your parents forced you to go to that one bully's party because "you could be a good friend for them" despite them beating you up everyday for fun...
Hm, that sounded like something from my childhood... T^T

...I going to feel sorry for all those employees that have to constantly clean the lenses of the Oculus after a random kid uses it... *shutters*

Anyway, this is all reminding me of that one flight sim game where you're shooting down other fighter jets... (Damn do I still miss that game...)

Raziel:

I was gonna say that this sounds like a great idea, but then I thought about this...

Yeah... I really hope there's some sanitary equipment going across those Rifts, or that they plan ahead for this. I don't think we need to hear about Oculus Rift with regards to horrendous PR disasters.

A fitting place. They will be covered in snot and vomit in no time at all.

ThunderCavalier:

Raziel:

I was gonna say that this sounds like a great idea, but then I thought about this...

Yeah... I really hope there's some sanitary equipment going across those Rifts, or that they plan ahead for this. I don't think we need to hear about Oculus Rift with regards to horrendous PR disasters.

well, if we already have 3d imax movies, i don't think they're gonna be stopped by that warning any time soon

*reads* Not caring... not caring... *reads more* Wait, Orlando?!?!?!? Next door? Hell yeah... *starts dumping the couch for change*

Seriously though, I thought Chuck-E-Cheese wasn't doing well. I must have heard wrong then, well good for them. I hope the Oculus works out, but I know I'm not going to be buying it. Not out of any hate or dislike even, I just have tried VR prototypes before and can't get around wearing those things on my head. It would have to be extremely lightweight for me to get around that wonky feeling I get whenever my face is confined. My absolute limit is diving equipment and that doesn't weigh too much.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here