Shocker: ISPs Have Terrible Customer Satisfaction Ratings

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shocker: ISPs Have Terrible Customer Satisfaction Ratings

South Park Time Warner Cable 310x

Comcast and Time Warner Cable score lower than any other provider on the ACSI report.

If your customer service is bad enough for South Park to put you in the crosshairs, it's probably not a good thing for your ratings to plunge even further.

But that's exactly what happened with Time Warner Cable and Comcast, as the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) dropped their scores, along with every other major national provider.

The ACSI is "an independent national measure of customer satisfaction with the quality of products and services available to household consumers in the United States," that surveys roughly 70,000 consumer in the US every year. After gathering data on cable TV and Internet providers (along with fiber operators like Verizon FiOS), the ACSI said the average ISP satisfaction score dropped by 3.1 percent between 2013 and 2014.

"As the number of Internet users grows, customer satisfaction with the service retreats, sliding 3.1% to an ACSI score of 63-the bottom rating among the 43 household consumer industries measured in the Index. Higher subscription prices, unreliable service, and slow broadband Internet speeds continue to pull ISP customer satisfaction down."

The drops happened nearly across the board for providers; While Verizon FiOS (71) and AT&T U-Verse (65) maintained their scores from 2013, every other ISP's grade slipped.

Comcast and TWC, which were the two bottom-rated companies in 2013, maintain that prestigious shared honor in 2014. Comcast dropped from 62 to 57, while TWC plunged 14 percent, from 63 to 54.

And all these numbers are just from the Internet Service Provider category. Under the "Subscription TV" category, all of the companies included dropped an average of 4.4 percent, Verizon and AT&T included.

You can check out the entire report on the ACSI website.

And as long as people keep giving them money due to a lack of options, the major ISPs will continue to give zero fucks. Someone needs to classify the Internet as a utility already...

Sorry, 70,000 are surveyed? That seems like an absurdly low number of people, nearly 314 million people and you don't even do 100,000 of them? I would say a million is a very small number of people but 70K is a large village.

I don't know anything about American service providers 'cos I am an English person. In the UK, you can transfer to whatever suits you best and we have a good selection to choose from.

omega 616:

I don't know anything about American service providers 'cos I am an English person. In the UK, you can transfer to whatever suits you best and we have a good selection to choose from.

That's not how it works in a lot of places in America as far as I can tell, I keep seeing people I know who live in the US complain about the fact that their ISP(often Comcats) is both terrible and the only ISP in the area, so they can't just change.

Which is why I'm not expecting much to happen, because I don't think enough people would be willing to give up internet to send the ISPs a message, and at this point they're probably powerful enough to just muscle out any other startup ISPs who try to compete on their turf.

Scars Unseen:
And as long as people keep giving them money due to a lack of options, the major ISPs will continue to give zero fucks. Someone needs to classify the Internet as a utility already...

Indeed. It doesn't matter if their customer satisfaction is at 0%, as long as competition is nil there's no reason to change.

omega 616:
Sorry, 70,000 are surveyed? That seems like an absurdly low number of people, nearly 314 million people and you don't even do 100,000 of them? I would say a million is a very small number of people but 70K is a large village.

We've been over this before, but I'll try again: this is a perfectly fine population to draw their conclusion. Many professional polls on Americans are done with only a few thousand with enough accuracy to not only be a profitable way to sell data but also to influence policy. As long as you have a sufficiently selected sample, you don't need anywhere near 70K to come up with reliable results. You certainly do not need anywhere near a million. This isn't how statistics or polling works.

vun:

omega 616:

That's not how it works in a lot of places in America as far as I can tell, I keep seeing people I know who live in the US complain about the fact that their ISP(often Comcats) is both terrible and the only ISP in the area, so they can't just change.

Which is why I'm not expecting much to happen, because I don't think enough people would be willing to give up internet to send the ISPs a message, and at this point they're probably powerful enough to just muscle out any other startup ISPs who try to compete on their turf.

They don't just muscle out competition, they use their lobbyist to legally prevent competition. Several states have bills pending or passed laws preventing rural areas from putting in municipal wifi even though there is no company at all providing high speed internet to those locations. Kansas specifically has a bill pending that would prevent google fiber from being installed in any additional cities if that city has ANY service that offers at least 3MB download speed.

Scars Unseen:

Absolutely. My alternative to comcast is clear wireless, which is pretty meh up here in Portland. Thank god Google's moving along with fiber, really hope we make the cut later this year.

Where'd your avatar come from Scars?

vun:

And yes. Often there is little to no competition, and frequently areas are controlled by TWC or Comcast. Worse still, Comcast is seeking to buy TWC. You'd think this would set off anti-trust alarms, but it didn't when they amicably split Adelphia years ago, which is what made them the dynamic duo they are today.

People keep hoping for the success of Google Fiber, but I worry it will be an exchange of one monopoly for another.

omega 616:

70,000 is fine. There's a math behind statistics(or rather, statistics is a form of math), so it's pretty easy to figure out how many people you need to survey as long as you can accurately figure out what the target population size is.

Comcast was my absolutely least favorite ISP ever. Currently I've been very happy with Century Link who picks up the phone after a couple rings and shows up on time for scheduled visits. Though I understand that isn't the case with them everywhere else, it's still been my experience.

Compare that with Comcast who regularly takes over 30 minutes just on hold to get anyone and that person usually drops the call at least once. Then they show up after the 4-hour window.

I'll admit that this is all on the tail end of Comcast having a monopoly in our local ISP market. So that's why they're being a giant dick here. But now that there's competition things are getting a lot better.

I love my ISP, Mi-Connection, it's owned by the town I live in, has 24/7 tech support, and is very reliable. Got my cable TV, internet, and phone service through them. Guess the solution for people is to shop local, local companies are naturally better suited to taking care of your area than a major company that has a hundreds of cities to worry about.

AdagioBoognish:

Scars Unseen:

Absolutely. My alternative to comcast is clear wireless, which is pretty meh up here in Portland. Thank god Google's moving along with fiber, really hope we make the cut later this year.

It's from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, a fairly decent anime side story to the Muv-Luv Alternative visual novel, one of the best mecha action/dramas I've ever encountered.

Scars Unseen:

omega 616:

70,000 is fine. There's a math behind statistics(or rather, statistics is a form of math), so it's pretty easy to figure out how many people you need to survey as long as you can accurately figure out what the target population size is.

To me, it comes back to my political beliefs ... how can one man or small group of people speak for an entire country who are so vastly different? Like You have Hollywood, which is filled with money and then you have Detroit, which (after the car manufacturers moved out) is almost a wasteland but Barack (and his party) speaks for both.

So, in a country of nearly 314 million people, can 70K of them say "these companies suck!" and that is what goes? Imagine if voting was done like that, a random selection of 70K people get a letter, that by law they have to fill out (like jury duty) and send off, who ever gets the most votes is the new president of the USA!

70K people just voted for you, you have no say in the matter at all. Ok, being a sucky company isn't as bad as who will be the president.

Zachary Amaranth:
People keep hoping for the success of Google Fiber, but I worry it will be an exchange of one monopoly for another.

With the Google's been shuffling about, I foresee a future of free global wi-fi with the option to subscribe to high-performance hardwire connections.

The ISP I had last year likes to boast about how they are rated best in the nation, I guess it's not really that hard to be the best though, huh?

vun:

I live in one of the largest, if not THE largest, metropolitan areas in my state and until recently we had ONE high-speed internet provider, which years before had bought out its competitors.

US infrastructure for high-speed internet is just the freaking worst, and the midwest is on the ass-end of it.

Lightknight:
Currently I've been very happy with Century Link who picks up the phone after a couple rings and shows up on time for scheduled visits. Though I understand that isn't the case with them everywhere else, it's still been my experience.

I'll admit that this is all on the tail end of Comcast having a monopoly in our local ISP market.

I had CenturyLink DSL when I lived out in rural Missouri, they were pretty good for the only ISP we could get. They just recently moved here, and are offering 1-gig fiber optic internet soon.

omega 616:
So, in a country of nearly 314 million people, can 70K of them say "these companies suck!" and that is what goes? Imagine if voting was done like that, a random selection of 70K people get a letter, that by law they have to fill out (like jury duty) and send off, who ever gets the most votes is the new president of the USA!

Oh, so you mean like the Electoral College?

Wait, I think sending letters to 70,000 people may actually be a BETTER plan than the Electoral college, if you could be sure to send the letters purely randomly.

Scars Unseen:

AdagioBoognish:

Scars Unseen:

It's from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, a fairly decent anime side story to the Muv-Luv Alternative visual novel, one of the best mecha action/dramas I've ever encountered.

Awesome! I've been looking around for a new series to try and I was hoping your avatar was from something other than gundam. I'll have to check out Muv-Luv.

OT: Found out Portland has CenturyLink as well, so I've technically got options, but I don't know if I'd consider DSL remotely competitive to cable.

omega 616:

70K people just voted for you, you have no say in the matter at all. Ok, being a sucky company isn't as bad as who will be the president.

Actually, if you analyze the statistics, you could have an infinitely large population and only sample 70K people and still have a good representation of which companies suck or who should be president. If all you're asking is a simple Good/Bad or Yes/No question and 60% of the entire population thinks "Good Company" and 40% thinks "Bad Company", then when randomly picking 70K people, it's pretty likely that 60% of those 70K will think "Good Company" and 40% will think "Bad Company".

You don't need to flip a coin 300 million times to know that there's a 50/50 chance of heads or tails. You can probably tell after 100 flips that the odds are 50/50.

hawk533:
You don't need to flip a coin 300 million times to know that there's a 50/50 chance of heads or tails. You can probably tell after 100 flips that the odds are 50/50.

Well, you don't even need to flip it once ... it is 50/50. Polling whether a company is good or not requires that you know more than the options.

For example, I just started a company ... is it good or bad? You don't know. You do know that a coin has two sides (unless their is a 3+ sided coin I don't know about), so you know the probability.

I could ask 70K hobos whether free health care is a good idea and the answer would be a lot different to 70K rich people's answers. I could 70K scousers if manc's are *insert expletive* and 70k would say "fuckin' right dey are!" but ask 70K macs the same question and you get stabbed 70K times!

omega 616:

no offense but learn a bit more about statistics before trying to critize the population sample of a poll

omega 616:

Scars Unseen:

omega 616:

To me, it comes back to my political beliefs ... how can one man or small group of people speak for an entire country who are so vastly different? Like You have Hollywood, which is filled with money and then you have Detroit, which (after the car manufacturers moved out) is almost a wasteland but Barack (and his party) speaks for both.

mathematics have nothing to do with politics

Xan Krieger:
I love my ISP, Mi-Connection, it's owned by the town I live in, has 24/7 tech support, and is very reliable. Got my cable TV, internet, and phone service through them. Guess the solution for people is to shop local, local companies are naturally better suited to taking care of your area than a major company that has a hundreds of cities to worry about.

unless you live out in the middle of nowhere where only one company runs the show.

The same company who's own internet goes out causing their servers and by proxy, service to their customers to go out for 32 hours because "it was the weekend and no one was working at the time to reboot their systems, but fuck you we are the only company out here so pay us $120+ a month for dial-up speeds."

Seriously, I suggest we have a fucking revolution and destroy the big ISP's if the FCC wont fucking do it.

omega 616:

Scars Unseen:

omega 616:

To help you understand how ridiculous your argument is, what you just said about statistics is pretty much exactly as valid as creationists' argument against evolution. You may as well claim that you have a political belief against gravity as argue against the efficacy of statistics. This is really something you should try to gain at least a passing familiarity with before trying to discuss. Statistics is a math, and math works.

Theres this one webcomic from a long, long time ago that i like to post in relation to customer support from ISPs.

Good choice of header images. "Ohh... that's too baaad...". Yeah, like they care what their customer satisfaction rating is. In 99% of their markets they operate effective monopolies.

vun:

I was confused by the title as over here (Australia) ISP's can be quite good, granted like all services you'll get the occasional sour lemon but there's plenty of choices, now I know it's US ISP's (the title should be corrected) it makes far more sense for the reasons you described. American capitalism, screwing over US citizens since 1901

Raziel:

They don't just muscle out competition, they use their lobbyist to legally prevent competition. Several states have bills pending or passed laws preventing rural areas from putting in municipal wifi even though there is no company at all providing high speed internet to those locations. Kansas specifically has a bill pending that would prevent google fiber from being installed in any additional cities if that city has ANY service that offers at least 3MB download speed.

So much for being a land of the free, using laws to ban competition and business from starting up is a new low. More like land of the oppressed.

Not a big surprise. I've been with Comcast...pretty much since they took over AT&T as my ISP and it's been a god damn nightmare.

In my neck of the woods you pretty much only have Comcast or Century Link as the only really viable option for high speed internet.
(To their credit, Xmission provides great service as well. But, as Metro Utah continues to expand, their coverage ability isn't enough to cover the outlying areas.)

There's a handful of others but they're small potatoes players and don't provide the bandwidth that the vast majority of users require.

As long as that continues to be the case Comcast has no drive to improve their customer service. I would chew my leg off to get away from Comcast to a better ISP if I had the chance, but the reality is I just have to put up with it because I don't have much choice.

The worst part for me is that we have a municipal fiber Utah but it's like pulling teeth to get the coverage to expand.

"Nobody likes us, we set up anti-competitive practices, actively push out innovation, SAVE US GOVERNMENT!"

Come on, this is a slam dunk for both parties in the US according to their own economic policies. Oh wait, that's right, congress doesn't have to worry about ISPs.

Scars Unseen:

The continued attempts at anti-Net Neutrality laws show that this will probably never happen as long as:

1) The Internet looks like an online Fort Knox ready to be exploited.

2) Comcast and Times Warner Cable have friends in the right places to keep throwing that shit out there.

While TWC plunged 14 percent, from 63 to 54.

Unless I'm have a brain explosion, 63 - 54 is 9 not 14.

EDIT: O well 14%, I feel dumb now.

Scars Unseen:

Question about your avatar, what anime is that from?

OT: You don't fucking say. In Canada, Rogers and Bell like to screw us hard for crappy services, so my roommates and I chose a third party ISP. You know what that's like? Faster, cheaper, but unreliable as hell.

RicoADF:

vun:

I was confused by the title as over here (Australia) ISP's can be quite good, granted like all services you'll get the occasional sour lemon but there's plenty of choices, now I know it's US ISP's (the title should be corrected) it makes far more sense for the reasons you described. American capitalism, screwing over US citizens since 1901

Well, ISPs might behave ok in Australia(although I've heard a few complaints from there as well), but 10/10 for 8k AUD a month? Wat?

I know getting proper internet all over Australia might be a tricky thing to do, but still..

vun:

omega 616:

That sums it up in a nutshell. Here in Denver, we get a choice between Comcast and... erm... Comcast.

Alright, so in the interest of fairness, I should state that we can also get rickety, slow DSL through CenturyLink, which used to be Qwest before a 2011 merger, which was USWest before a 2000 merger, which was Mountain Bell before a 1991 merger (because, you know, fewer companies "broadens" the marketplace, "enhances" competition, provides more "choice" to customers, and "drives down" prices, as the corporate-funded FCC is keen to remind us).

Time Warner Cables' holding Dodgers hostage isn't helping either.

No TWC, I refuse to switch to your inferior services even if you have my Dodgers.

vun:

Well, ISPs might behave ok in Australia(although I've heard a few complaints from there as well), but 10/10 for 8k AUD a month? Wat?

I know getting proper internet all over Australia might be a tricky thing to do, but still..

8k AUD per month for internet? Err who told you that? Personally for 100MB/s cable with 500GB dl limit (slows down if I go over, no extra charge) I pay $70 per month. Optus now has unlimited at the same speed for alittle less (once my contract ends I'm jumping over). I would assume the complaints you've heard are in more rural areas or in Adelaide etc, some places have only Telstra due to not having enough population but even that's changing with the NBN rollout (fibre).

Yay, now let's give these companies even more power over the internet!

Anyway, I'm personally not too bothered by my ISP here in Southwestern Ontario (Canada) outside of the usual issues (regularly climbing prices, decent but not great speed, service when they are available instead of when you want/need it). Thing is, if I did have any issues there really aren't many other options so it wouldn't matter all that much how many complaints I would have. It's either the one big company I'm with or the other one I'm not with but that has the exact same level of service, same prices, same packages, etc.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here