Xbox One June System Update: External Storage, Real Names are Coming

Xbox One June System Update: External Storage, Real Names are Coming

Xbox One External Storage 1 310x

Virtually any 256 GB or larger USB 3.0 drive will be supported.

Next month's Xbox One system update will have a number of new features and tweaks, but two in particular stand out to us, and of course to Major Nelson.

In a preview post for Xbox Wire, Major Nelson detailed two of the June updates more outstanding features: External storage support, and real name display.

Once the update is installed, you'll be able to connect any USB 3.0 external hard drive to your Xbox One that's 256 GB or larger. Once formatted for the Xbox One, the drive can be used for media, game installs, apps, and save files. You'll also be able to connect the drive to other Xbox One consoles and access its content, so long as you grant permissions accordingly (inserting a game disc, or signing into Xbox Live, depending on the content).

With external USB 3.0 drives getting cheaper every day ($70 for 1 TB? Pretty solid deal!) this should make storage relatively cheap, and easy to manage -- no more deleting game installs to make space.

The real name update is also noteworthy, as you'll finally be able to display your real name to any specific group of friends (all of them, certain groups, friends of friends). Your real name will never show up in-game, either, so anonymity is maintained where it matters most.

Other incoming updates include new SmartGlass features, and the much-hyped detachment of entertainment apps from the Xbox Live pay wall.

I don't understand why you'd want to display your real name via the Xbox, at all, to any group of people, ever.

Why is this a feature? Am I missing something?

The real name feature seems interesting, when there is a multiplayer game that will keep me on the Xbox One day by day I certainly look forward to screaming in rage at a real name rather than xX L33T Pr0 SnIpEs Xx. The external thing is also good.

Elijah Newton:
I don't understand why you'd want to display your real name via the Xbox, at all, to any group of people, ever.

Why is this a feature? Am I missing something?

You would be displaying your name to friends, or certain subgroups of your friends list. If you game a lot with people you know in "real life" and not just online, it makes it easier to see which of those friends are online.

Or you can just, you know, not use it. It's totally optional.

-Devin Connors

On the bright side storing the real name will make it even easier for people to find you and harass you throughout the whole internet. Additionally, they'll have some more information to try and steal your identity!

Man, that gets me so excited!

(realistically, I know there is no difference between a made up username and your real name. Someone with skills can find out your info).

I do like some of the changes - especially removing netflix from behind the paywall. Might make me consider the Xbone for my next console.

But not until a Fallout or a new elder scrolls.

So, basically Microsoft is rolling back on every decision made during Don Mattrick's reign for XBone's launch?
I still need more convincing to upgrade. Like a game that runs better than on an average PC. I play PC, I know that you can make faster machines, but the X360 at launch had better performance than any mid tier PC. I don't see that on X-box One, and that (alongside the horrible message they conveyed at launch) makes me weary to upgrade my 360 to a Xbone.

Well I can say finally. Seriously, why did it take so long for Microsoft to add in external hard drive support when they are one of the biggest software giants. Especially since the internal HDD is non-upgradable really.

Well, considering that the Xbone's internal drive is non-upgradable, this is great news for people looking to expand upon their console's storage, with almost every disc based game ranging from 25 gb to 50 gb of space (!), 500 gb would eventually fill up pretty quickly.

No 'hur dur Micro$oft is stoopid' comments? I'm impressed, Escapist.

Awesome though. As to the name thing, eh. I guess it could be useful for verification of popular people.

Arnoxthe1:

Oh, it's early yet.

The external storage thing is pretty significant, but I wish they would extend it to XBox 360. That's the one I'm running out of space on.

ThatDarnCoyote:

Arnoxthe1:

Oh, it's early yet.

The external storage thing is pretty significant, but I wish they would extend it to XBox 360. That's the one I'm running out of space on.

But the 360 already has external, third party hard drive support. Unless I'm missing something here?

Megalodon:

But the 360 already has external, third party hard drive support. Unless I'm missing something here?

The 360 had it, but it was limited in the maximum size you could have on the eternal hard drive or flash drive. I think the maximum size you could have was 25GB for an external HDD for the 360.

Make it backwards compatible and i'm sold.

So only USB 3.0 drives? What if i have one of the older USB 2.0 drives laying around?

L34dP1LL:

how many times we must repeat it - thats not physically possible.

Neronium:

Megalodon:

The 360 had it, but it was limited in the maximum size you could have on the eternal hard drive or flash drive. I think the maximum size you could have was 25GB for an external HDD for the 360.

I hope thats a typo, i dont think anyone still uses 25 GB drives at all. Or even did in 2006 for that matter. Heck, i used 60 GB back in 2003.

Strazdas:

I hope thats a typo, i dont think anyone still uses 25 GB drives at all. Or even did in 2006 for that matter. Heck, i used 60 GB back in 2003.

I worded it oddly, but no the Xbox 360 can only support up to 32GB of external space, nothing more. Which is why this is so much better. I thought it was 25 GB, but I was wrong on that.

Neronium:

Strazdas:

I worded it oddly, but no the Xbox 360 can only support up to 32GB of external space, nothing more. Which is why this is so much better. I thought it was 25 GB, but I was wrong on that.

so then its as good as not supporting any, because you would need to go search in some junkyard for compatible drives. Its kinda scary considering that even at Xbox 360 launch these drives were quite obsolete. I mean sure new consoles also launched with obsolete internal memory, but at least they support large external one.

Strazdas:
So only USB 3.0 drives? What if i have one of the older USB 2.0 drives laying around?

L34dP1LL:

how many times we must repeat it - thats not physically possible.

That's what they said about flight, and look at what we've achieved! ;). I'm just waiting for a larger game library that does'nt also come out for the 360.

That's what they said about flight, and look at what we've achieved! ;). I'm just waiting for a larger game library that does'nt also come out for the 360.[/quote]
well humans didnt sprout wings and flew. so they were wrong when they said it about flight. humans dont fly. they built machines that do. and we built emulators that can play last gen games on PC. but only on PC. you know why? because the consoles dont have enough CPU to emulate last gen consoles. heck, the Xbox One CPU is WEAKER than Xbox 260 CPU.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here