Got an eBay Account? Time to Change your Password!

Got an eBay Account? Time to Change your Password!

ebay sign logo 310x

112 million users will need new passwords after eBay database is breached.

Before you buy yet another NES cartridge or raptor cage through eBay, you might want to change your password up.

Everyone's favorite online auction/commerce site fell victim to a database breach at some point in late February or early March, when hackers "compromised a small number of employee log-in credentials, allowing unauthorized access to eBay's corporate network."

While the database did contain "eBay customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth," it did not contain any sort of financial information, encrypted or otherwise. eBay also notes that no fraudulent account activity has been detected (or at least none that can be connected to the database hack).

Even with password data encrypted, eBay is naturally going the Better Safe Than Sorry route, hence the password change for all 112 million of its users.

If you have an eBay account, expect an email regarding the matter at some point later today, or this week.

Source: BusinessWire

Wait, their database was breached in fucking February, and we're told in mid-May that it's time to change our passwords?

People crushed Sony for the PSN breach a few years back (and rightfully so), but I bet this goes by with little more than a whimper.

Well thanks for the heads up. Shame a video game site beat Ebay to the punch on the notifications, but my password is changed all the same.

WTF? Late febuary or early march? Gee guys thanks for telling us so soon.

I don't think eBay was trying to keep it a secret -- more likely the company was assessing damage, and making sure no financial information was leaked. The fewer press releases eBay can release about the event, the better.

-Devin Connors

it didn't like my email so maybe i don't have an account with them

Jesus, is no thing sacred for you, people?... even eBay?
off to change my pw

where they hashed and salted or just hashed ?

Ironically, I was recently trying to update my email address with them because I'm shutting down my old email account (too much spam, and no way to stop it at this point), but I can't because it happens to be the same as my eBay username, and for reasons I can't begin to understand, they have a policy of not having a handle that matches your email address. Which isn't too bad if you're creating a new account, but...

What I'm getting at is that I've been debating whether to call them up and argue about it or just shut the eBay account down altogether, since I haven't used it in forever. Guess I should have just gone ahead and done that!

You know, the fucked up part about this (aside from the unnacceptable delay in telling everyone) is that I just spent the last ten minutes trying to find the place where I change my fucking password. I finally got it, but why the fuck is it so hard to find? Honestly.

February?! Christ on a pogo stick, glad to see EBay working is a timely fashion.

Where they just huffing paint all this time or what?

alj:
where they hashed and salted or just hashed ?

Were they even hashed at all? The source uses the word "encrypted" which I would usually chalk up to an error on part of the reporting, but after the Adobe debacle last year, I'm not so sure.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here