Metro 2033, Metro Last Light to Get Facelift for Xbox One, PS4, PC

Metro 2033, Metro Last Light to Get Facelift for Xbox One, PS4, PC

redux_pack_flat_rgb

If you don't want the games as separate digital downloads for $24.99 each, Metro Last Light Redux will package both Metro titles for $49.99.

Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light were quality shooters when they were released and those with PlayStation 4s or Xbox Ones may want a chance to live life in the subway tunnels of a post-apocalyptic Moscow. Well, this summer, Deep Silver will give those console players that opportunity.

Both titles are being remastered for the next-gen consoles to include the latest 4A Games engine at 60FPS, and will be available separately for $24.99. But if you want both, and the additional DLC that was available for the Season Pass, then you'll want to grab the Metro Last Light Redux package for $49.99.

In addition to the facelift and extra content, the package will have three modes: Ranger mode with no UI for the hardcore, Survival mode with tougher AI, slower reloads and limited resources, and the more action oriented Spartan mode. It also adds a Check Watch and Check Inventory feature requested by players.

While the package will be available at an as yet undetermined date this summer for consoles, A SteamOS and Linux version is planned "later this year" for PC.

Hey, look, we got video to show it off.

And this on from Andrea and Escapist News Now:

So...the PC version is just a version with all the DLC and no graphical upgrades? This is somewhat...ah, hell, I'll just wait this one out.

Since i have both games and all the DLC that game with them I'm not really the target audience here BUT maybe if the engine upgrades to 2033 are any good I might give it another look. God knows i want to support 4A games though this difficult time. They should really be releasing these as updates to the core PC game though but it sounds like this is Deep Silver's call, a slightly shady company i don't particularity like.

For those who haven't played the games or who don't own a PC that can play them this is pretty good news. At least their being released as a package and not $60 "Remasted" editions like some games. $50 for two great games isn't a bad deal, especially when the console port of 2033 was so lacking.

If these ports are decent then i think, if you don't already own the games, this is a good chance to play some EXCELLENT shooters that deviate from the highly stagnant AAA landscape. Hell even solid but not spectacular WW2 shooters look innovative in the age of "Modern Military Everything"

Barbas:
So...the PC version is just a version with all the DLC and no graphical upgrades? This is somewhat...ah, hell, I'll just wait this one out.

The difference for PC will be that the original 2033 will be running on Last Light's engine. It is a graphical upgrade for the original, but the sequel seems unchanged, aside from the UI-less mode option.

TiberiusEsuriens:

Barbas:

The difference for PC will be that the original 2033 will be running on Last Light's engine. It is a graphical upgrade for the original, but the sequel seems unchanged, aside from the UI-less mode option.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying. Sounds like a good deal for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of being introduced to these games yet! :D

TiberiusEsuriens:

Is that really necessary? I've just finished 2033 and it still looks crazy good. Suppose a more stable framerate would be welcome. This will be awesome for consoles though. No way that was running on high on last gen so upgrading the visuals for PS4/XBone will look great.

Anyone who hasn't played these games should probably give them a bash. They are fucking great and really need more love.

Cool!

I never tried these games, and I always love when I get to binge a game collection.

Just like the new version of The Last of Us, it's going to be great for people who haven't played the originals before and better than ever (strictly speaking of consoles, of course).

My guess is that they need to raise some fund for their relocation to Malta.

JimmyPage666:
Is that really necessary?

IT
IS
ALWAYS
NECESSARY!

When it comes to PCs and PC games, the answer to upgrade is always yes, doesn't matter what you upgrade the answer is still yes.

Having said that, I liked the way 2033 handled Night Vision better than Last Light, it wasn't especially clear some of the time, but it was gorgeous and actually looked like looking through real NVGs. I will be sad if that gets 'upgraded' with the new engine to Last Light more traditional video game night vision.

I'll probably miss this one until it's dead cheap though, I already have both main games so the DLC isn't much of a draw. For the PS4/Xbone crowd though this ought to be a required purchase.

Why would I buy the games again that I have already played and finished multiple times (three times and two times respectively).

That PC version really baffles me by it's existence.

So.
24.99 each, or 49.99 as a bundle.

That's, like, the same amount of money.

Its nice to see them improve things. Then again on the other hand they are claiming that new consoles will get "PC experience" which is a joke on thier part.

Strazdas:
Its nice to see them improve things. Then again on the other hand they are claiming that new consoles will get "PC experience" which is a joke on thier part.

What's the bet the console versions won't even reach the 1080/60 threshold?

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Strazdas:

im not making a bet i know consoles will loose.

Cool, I got the lend of Last Light for PS3 off my friend and loved it. I never played 2033 because I don't have a 360. Definitely getting this whenever I get a PS4.

fix-the-spade:

When it comes to PCs and PC games, the answer to upgrade is always yes, doesn't matter what you upgrade the answer is still yes.

I get you on the hardware side, that's what I keep telling people anyway.

I haven't played Last Light yet but I'm told it looks better. What I'd most want is a more stable frame rate. I got a lot of stuttering on 2033, it was quite off putting at times.

JimmyPage666:
I haven't played Last Light yet but I'm told it looks better. What I'd most want is a more stable frame rate. I got a lot of stuttering on 2033, it was quite off putting at times.

At the risk of asking stupid questions, did you try disabling PhysX?

In both games I had problems with PhysX running the GPU up to 100% at seemingly random intervals (massive set piece? no problem! Empty transition hallway? Fzzt!), turning it off gave me solid frame rates in the original.

fix-the-spade:

I honestly don't know. Isn't PhysX only for Nvidia cards? I don't have any options for it. I know what you mean about the random intervals though, makes no sense to me.

JimmyPage666:

fix-the-spade:

I honestly don't know. Isn't PhysX only for Nvidia cards? I don't have any options for it. I know what you mean about the random intervals though, makes no sense to me.

PhysX works with AMD cards as well, but it does so better on nVidia cards; they perform better with the higher PhysX settings. It looks like the changes they make to these games are going to make them quite intensive if PhysX is turned on (rubble, chunks from bullets hitting pillars, mist reacting to NPCs, stuff like that). I remember pipe bombs used to be hellish for my PC even though everything else was pretty much fine, and they clusterf*** the environment a lot when they go off.

Barbas:
snip

Well I didn't know that. Thanks, I must take a look

I'm starting a new playthrough (I want the enlightened achievement) so it'd be nice if I'm getting a smooth framerate this time round

JimmyPage666:

Barbas:
snip

Well I didn't know that. Thanks, I must take a look

I'm starting a new playthrough (I want the enlightened achievement) so it'd be nice if I'm getting a smooth framerate this time round

No worries!

Ah, just occurred to me - I can't remember whether 2033 had it or not (I think it was one of the earlier DX11 games), but tessellation is another big resource-hugger.

Strazdas:

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Strazdas:

im not making a bet i know consoles will loose.

So you are betting it will then? 4A have already confirmed the PS4 version is running at that resolution and frame rate, most devs I wouldn't believe but 4A I would. Whats patently obvious though is that a game that can cripple single R9 290Xs and Titans at 1080p (I.E those cards struggle to hold that frame rate) and higher with everything maxed out will need to have its visuals downgraded to on those machines at that frame rate and resolution, they simply don't have the chops for it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here