Samsung is Working on a Galaxy-Branded Virtual Reality Headset

Samsung is Working on a Galaxy-Branded Virtual Reality Headset

Samsung VR Headset Rumor Oculus 310x

The rumored VR headset would work exclusively with future Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets.

Engadget is reporting that Samsung is working on its own virtual reality headset, and the hardware is slated to be released before the end of 2014.

The VR headset, which is being developed within the Samsung Mobile division, would be paired exclusively with Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets. If the exclusivity ends up being true, the headset should use a USB 3.0-type connector, to be paired with ports like the one found on the bottom of the Galaxy S5 smartphone.

The only hardware spec that's floating around thus far is that the display inside the headset will be OLED-based, similar to other displays used by Samsung Mobile.

Along with attempting to beat Oculus and Sony to market with a consumer-grade product, Samsung will also try to undercut whatever price point its VR rivals would launch at (my best guess is under $299, or lower if the hardware is heavily subsidized). And because it's a mobile product, the hardware would be used with VR-friendly Android games found in the Google Play store.

This is definitely still a rumor, but we'll be sure to post up if and when more concrete information comes along.

Samsung! Ripping off other people's ideas for a better tomorrow!

I increasingly feel that there are only two real questions as far as VR goes: Will the entire industry prove to be the 3D television business of tomorrow? And if not, who gets to be the Betamax?

I'm actually glad about this. It's a third VR helmet; if three(I suppose technically four) companies are willing to gamble on the prospect of VR, and major ones at that, some that can't afford to fail mind you, I think we'll see this industry really grow. It's reason why smartphones kicked off so well, because there was a multitude of companies willing to use the technology.

Hmmm, I'm glad to see more companies jumping into the VR market, but honestly, until I hear some specs, and how they are addressing the issues of VR (motion sickness, FoV, motion tracking, position tracking?, latency, frame rate, etc). I'm going to be a bit nervous about them seeking to be first on the market (if that's indeed true).

If they bring it out first, and the frame rate is too low, or the image blurs too much when you move your head, or there is no positional tracking, etc. And it makes people ill. -or- if no one supports it, or makes games for it. It could potentially turn people off of VR. Making things harder for Rift/Morpheus.

Although... the Rift dev kit is a low res, blurring, low contrast, bare bones prototype, and that completely sold me on VR, so I dunno....

klaynexas3:
I'm actually glad about this. It's a third VR helmet; if three(I suppose technically four) companies are willing to gamble on the prospect of VR, and major ones at that, some that can't afford to fail mind you, I think we'll see this industry really grow. It's reason why smartphones kicked off so well, because there was a multitude of companies willing to use the technology.

I disagree. VR's minimum required tech is still on the very edge of the "just good enough". By all reports, the Rift DK2 is just finally reaching that point where people become believers on contact.

This is important, because without that contact, people have no idea what to think about it. Some just eat up the hype about it being perfectly like being inside a game, others are having very vaguely defined concerns about how "screens being that close to your eye cant be good for you", or "it looks heavy on those photos", or playing analyst by comparing it to entirely unrelated product types with a vaguely similar shape or name.

If it turns out that Samsung rushed it's own version, and it *is* notably heavy, or has motion blur that gives nausea, or low resolution, people won't even be able to define what their problem is, only that the end result played into their worst stereotypes about what's the problem with VR in general.

Imagine a world where smartphones have been praised for decades before their creation as the inevitable future of technology, to the point where it became common knowledge what are the technological hurdles that make smartphones a "bad business idea" and a "fad". Then finally as they are becoming buildable, hype catches up again, only to have Samsung rush forward with an unfinished model a few months early, that has the exact same problems that have been feared for decades.

It could set back the whole thing for several years.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here